Jump to content

  • Latest Podcast: Josh Mahoney Interview



wizardinoz

Farewell Jesse Hogan

Recommended Posts

4 hours ago, Lord Travis said:

Not sure why some are laying into Hogan or saying he didn't perform. The reason there is so much talk about him leaving is because he is an elite talent.

He is the best new key position forward to come through in over a decade, the best since Buddy. Fact. The numbers show that.

He walked into a bottom team with little supply and poor quality supply and was able to win the Rising Star - rarely done by a key forward, let alone one competing with Patrick Cripps - kick 40+ goals and lead the league in contested marks as a first year player. He towelled up All Australian full back Alex Rance in one of his first games. He's ahead of all others in the league at the same age, and still has further improvement to go. He's already capable of being in the top handful of key forwards and goal kickers in the league, and will only improve further. He'd likely have wound up one of MFC's greatest goal kickers barring bad injury problems. Those talking him down are kidding themselves.

We've lost an elite talent, but the club has made the most of him leaving to balance the list and keep pushing towards a premiership. While it's a shame to lose Hogan, it won't kill us like it would've 4-5 years ago. We're stronger now, and will keep rising to glory 😈

Strongly disagree that the numbers show that. The numbers show that most of the elite key position players explode in season 3 or 4. Jesse has continued at a similar level since his initial season. His numbers I would imagine are similar to Jack Darlings.

Goals in 4th season:

Riewoldt 78

Roughead 75

Walker 63

Cameron 63

He is a good player, but he isn't close to the player some on these boards talked him up as from season one. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, america de cali said:

Get her to sign up for The AFLW. For the Dees of course.

Nah, not the type we need wearing the jumper.

At the first sign of a confrontation, she runs the other way.

I love my baby but she is too soft for MFC. Besides, she loves working with plants, its her dream job. ( My advice to her was "Aim low child, you will never be disappointed" )

Takes after her old man.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FarNorthernD said:

 

Freo kicked less goals than every other team this season bar Carlton and Gold Coast. And now an average midfield just got worse by losing it’s dual B & F winner. 

Jesse is going to miss the record number of inside 50’s that our mids supplied this year. It maybe worthwhile watching Freo games next year to see just how many games it will take for a Jesse body language meltdown. 

I’ll predict through necessity he’ll play high up at the ground at CHF where he rarely had the poor body language and play very well. Just like he did in years 1+2 here.

In fact Lobb at FF suits him as a partner more than any Melbourne forward did.

I’ll predict he averages 20 touches, 8 marks, 2 goals but doesn’t really make Freo all that much better because even though a lead up CHF is nice it’s only required if your team doesn’t move the ball quickly and accurately enough to produce flowing direct passages of play. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Fitz Fitzpatrick said:

Stop rabbiting on about Jessie’s considerable issues he’s had to deal with. He’s a man. He needs to deal with it.

perosnally, he has been riding on the reputation of his ‘potential’ for too long. 

I believe we have won by trading him out. He won’t be the generational player he was billed as and we get a strong key back to add to our side.

 

You're a hard man , have you ever lost someone ? have you ever had to care for someone as they passed away , how about living with cancer ?? I am 51 and lost my wife and now live with cancer , its something you NEVER get over. 

Statements like yours make me so bloody mad, come sit with me and my kids ask them how they feel , when they don't have a mum anymore , or watched me ...  I hope you never ever have to find out what its like. 

Don't pity me and say sorry , I don't need it , I get up everyday and do what I can , my kids keep me going , go to a cancer ward and see for yourself.  

I too believe we won on the trade  and wish Jesse all the best , as i have when I have spoken to him.

 

Mark.

 

 

 

  • Like 19
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, markc said:

You're a hard man , have you ever lost someone ? have you ever had to care for someone as they passed away , how about living with cancer ?? I am 51 and lost my wife and now live with cancer , its something you NEVER get over. 

Statements like yours make me so bloody mad, come sit with me and my kids ask them how they feel , when they don't have a mum anymore , or watched me ...  I hope you never ever have to find out what its like. 

Don't pity me and say sorry , I don't need it , I get up everyday and do what I can , my kids keep me going , go to a cancer ward and see for yourself.  

I too believe we won on the trade  and wish Jesse all the best , as i have when I have spoken to him.

 

Mark.

 

 

 

I really admire your honesty and preparedness to be some open about what you have been/are going through Mark. Inspiring. 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, hemingway said:

Are there any lessons in the Hogan affair, in regard to drafting and management?

My guess is that the Club managed his issues as best they could.

However, at the end of the day, the Club invested an enormous amount of time and money into keeping him at the club. 

More than most.

High maintenance girlfriend.

Tall, beautiful, built, the envy of every other guy.

But eventually you have to cut yourself loose. For your own good.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

High maintenance girlfriend.

Tall, beautiful, built, the envy of every other guy.

But eventually you have to cut yourself loose. For your own good.

Beautiful metaphor Maz. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Watts the matter said:

He is a good player, but he isn't close to the player some on these boards talked him up as from season one. 

While I get, understand and agree with most of your post, he was talked up from season one big time as what he did in his first season on the ground put others to shame, he just hasn’t really put the foot down, but if and when he does, he will be a scary opponent to play against 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Rod Grinter Riot Squad said:

While I get, understand and agree with most of your post, he was talked up from season one big time as what he did in his first season on the ground put others to shame, he just hasn’t really put the foot down, but if and when he does, he will be a scary opponent to play against 

 

He is an absolute cracker who has had an indescribably unlucky run.He will be be AA in 2019 but sadly not with us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, ding said:

My  daughter was a Bunnings Greeter. 

Recently got promoted to the plant department. I KNEW she was made of the right stuff.

:)

 

 

Hope she grows into that department. lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now it’s all over I hope on a human level he can find some peace and the club kicks on to bigger and better things. 

I find I am less sentimental as I get older but will always have a bit of a soft spot for Hogan. He was a key component in our rebuild towards becoming a force again. 

If we do reach the ultimate success sooner rather than later he will deserve some credit for taking an awful lot on his shoulders as a young man for our club and not breaking as others who came beforehand did. 

Good luck to him and he’ll always be welcome back in my eyes.

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure if this has been pointed out but with Jesse gone what does Robbo do with his marking comp at 1/4 time now? He had howies hangers then Hogans heroes now what. It seems to be a curse. 

Hames paints have been a good sponsor and this gave them some promotion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bumped into the big fella today, still looked unhappy. Maybe it wasn’t us after all. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay
  • Like 3
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Johnny Karate said:

Now it’s all over I hope on a human level he can find some peace and the club kicks on to bigger and better things. 

I find I am less sentimental as I get older but will always have a bit of a soft spot for Hogan. He was a key component in our rebuild towards becoming a force again. 

If we do reach the ultimate success sooner rather than later he will deserve some credit for taking an awful lot on his shoulders as a young man for our club and not breaking as others who came beforehand did. 

Good luck to him and he’ll always be welcome back in my eyes.

He will deserve some credit....

I was going to ask you what you meant by that but then I remembered how well he played in the first two weeks of the finals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just watched the interview with Steven May on the club’s website.

He is already a favourite of mine.

I never heard Jesse express that type of enthusiasm or excitement about the club. I found it super refreshing to hear it from May though.

Hogan will be a very good player for Freo, but I’m very happy we have May now. I expect he’ll become a club legend. 

The Dees secured a cracking trade result here.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is this thread still going?

Jeezus H Christ, I've done a complete about face!

 After spending time during the first 20 odd pages pushing back against the outraged and shouter-downers to keep the thread going, I now find myself in a confused perplexia wondering why anyone would want this thread to continue. The deed is done!

A startling metaphor for life, really.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Bumped into the big fella today, still looked unhappy. Maybe it wasn’t us after all. 

Did you bum a ciggy off him?

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I just watched the interview with Steven May on the club’s website.

He is already a favourite of mine.

I never heard Jesse express that type of enthusiasm or excitement about the club. I found it super refreshing to hear it from May though.

Hogan will be a very good player for Freo, but I’m very happy we have May now. I expect he’ll become a club legend. 

The Dees secured a cracking trade result here.

 

Never embraced the club. Simple as that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

I just watched the interview with Steven May on the club’s website.

He is already a favourite of mine.

I never heard Jesse express that type of enthusiasm or excitement about the club. I found it super refreshing to hear it from May though.

Hogan will be a very good player for Freo, but I’m very happy we have May now. I expect he’ll become a club legend. 

The Dees secured a cracking trade result here.

 

Hope you're right, Ron...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Bumped into the big fella today, still looked unhappy. Maybe it wasn’t us after all. 

Already used “joke”

Edited by Cards13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finis

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cards13 said:

Already used “joke”

It was more of an inference based on my observations. 

Edited by Ethan Tremblay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dees189227 said:

Not sure if this has been pointed out but with Jesse gone what does Robbo do with his marking comp at 1/4 time now? He had howies hangers then Hogans heroes now what. It seems to be a curse. 

Hames paints have been a good sponsor and this gave them some promotion. 

I would suggest that the synergy of linking Hames with Harmes should be a marketing opportunity made in heaven. Would it be appropriate to ask contestants at the quarter time break to do something with their r's?

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, dees189227 said:

Not sure if this has been pointed out but with Jesse gone what does Robbo do with his marking comp at 1/4 time now? He had howies hangers then Hogans heroes now what. It seems to be a curse. 

Hames paints have been a good sponsor and this gave them some promotion. 

Ha(r)mes' Hangers?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we now close this thread? Castigation and innuendo serve little purpose and Jesse, the FD/MFC and our success may still warrant our respect? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×