Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

NFL

Dappa Dan

I know there's one or two on here that like the NFL.

I've just gotten into it over the last year or so... Though I find it too overwhelming to visit their sites.

Anybody here follow it? Anybody follow the Eagles by chance?

Yep...Me for one.

Yeah, I knew there was one... Maybe one other as well?

How are you finding the season so far? ARe you starting to believe a bit? They may not be the best side going round, but [censored] they're fun to watch. So unpredictable Are you like everyone else? On the Vick bandwagon?

Yeah, I knew there was one... Maybe one other as well?

How are you finding the season so far? ARe you starting to believe a bit? They may not be the best side going round, but [censored] they're fun to watch. So unpredictable Are you like everyone else? On the Vick bandwagon?

Yeah not sure if there's another person, there may be.

Ha. I used to love Michael Vick so much I almost went for Atlanta just because of him.

Absolute headcase but boy can he play.

To be honest, I haven't paid too much attention so far thie season. Been much more interested in the baseball. It's hard to watch the games with school on the Mon/Tues but managed to catch last week's win over Vick's old mob.

We're looking pretty good, pretty good situation to be in to have Kolb as reserve. Big game Sunday. Tennessee are 3-0 on the road and we're 1-2 at home. Would be a big win to go into the break with.

Edit: Just realised it's an away game.

Edited by 45HG16

Hey Guys,

I am a monster NFL fan. As for the Eagles, I think losing Desean Jackson for a few weeks might upset the apple cart (big hit by Dunta Robinson for the Falcons- ex texan so I don't like him naturally). Any Reid is unsure of who should be the starter, forget Vick as Kolb has torched the last 2 games. I think they will stick with Kolb, he is the future and could hold the starting spot barring any further setbacks. Eagles are 4-2 and are in a tough division. Lucky for you guys the cowboys are 1-4 and were a "sure thing" going into the season. Cowboys are now a "sure thing" to miss playoffs.

Big Texans fan myself (self proclaimed biggest in the country, and when i met some of the texans fans over there this year they agreed) and we are looking pretty solid going into our bye week. (also 4-2)

It has been a great season thus far, with some big names (Vikings, Cowboys,Chargers) misfiring and some lesser rated teams (Texans, Bears, Cardinals, Falcons) firing.

Great to see Randy Moss traded back to the Vikes! Dust off those old #84 jerseys!!

Absolute headcase but boy can he play.

My goodness me. If you asked for a player with a certain skillset, that would be it.

To be honest, I haven't paid too much attention so far thie season. Been much more interested in the baseball.

I was too. Until this morning. What a choke.

We're looking pretty good, pretty good situation to be in to have Kolb as reserve. Big game Sunday. Tennessee are 3-0 on the road and we're 1-2 at home. Would be a big win to go into the break with.

Massive. Although they're ALL massive really. I was saying to another Eagles fan that if we're 5-2, I'd have us juuuust as a chance to make playoffs. We have a nasty run home there. And I reckon we're going to need to pick up a few division wins to be sure. That means a couple of 2-from-2s against the Giants and Cowboys. The other games are going to be veeeery tough against Vikings, Colts etc etc

Edit: Just realised it's an away game.

Yup. Now WE'RE the 3-0 team. I'm not picking us though. Not with no Deshaun, and with us copping a lot of sacks.

im still trying to work the rules in the nfl a bit confusing for me

Took me AGES to get it. You really do need someone to sit with you through your first few games. Know any other sports like that? ;)

I am a monster NFL fan. As for the Eagles, I think losing Desean Jackson for a few weeks might upset the apple cart (big hit by Dunta Robinson for the Falcons- ex texan so I don't like him naturally).

That was unbelievable. People who think they're soft for wearing armour should watch that. There's nothing like that in the AFL. LIke a car crash. As for Deshaun, they said it wasn't as bad as first thought... and that if he does miss this week, which he will, we have a bye so he'll be straight back in. He's my second favourite player. Awesome pace.

Any Reid is unsure of who should be the starter, forget Vick as Kolb has torched the last 2 games.

Disagree. He torched the last game... The one before he was serviceable. Vick has more weapons, and too many to ignore. But I reckon he won't come back til after the bye either.

Lucky for you guys the cowboys are 1-4 and were a "sure thing" going into the season. Cowboys are now a "sure thing" to miss playoffs.

How good is that? On the downside, they're likely to pull themselves together in time for when we play them. Which sucks. The redskins are supposed to be the weakest of the three opponents... and yet...

Big Texans fan myself (self proclaimed biggest in the country, and when i met some of the texans fans over there this year they agreed) and we are looking pretty solid going into our bye week. (also 4-2)

Don't know much about them, but I'll keep an eye on them now.

Edited by Dappa Dan

• 4 weeks later...

Still too early to tell what Philly are going to do. The Dirty Birds (Atlanta) look more dangerous than Philly, but the eagles do have players that can win big games. The NFC is weaker this season than the AFC, so my tip is that the eagles should make the conference final.

My Texans have lost 3 straight............season over............

Still too early to tell what Philly are going to do. The Dirty Birds (Atlanta) look more dangerous than Philly, but the eagles do have players that can win big games. The NFC is weaker this season than the AFC, so my tip is that the eagles should make the conference final.

My Texans have lost 3 straight............season over............

I wouldn't say Atlanta look more dangerous than Philly at all. Nor would the media I'd say. After all, we did beat them handily. Likewise, the AFC may be stronger, but only cos of the depth... and because they desperately need to do something about the NFC West which is dragging the whole League down. The cream rises to the top though, and I'd say the Eagles are a top 4 side at the moment, and have no reason to fear ANY side, especially given they just beat (what was at the time) the best defence in the NFL by ten points, even dropping 2 touchdowns and one interception... What's more, I think there is no offence more feared (or that makes a defensive co-ordinator wet his Breeches more) than that of Michael Vick. He just does TOO much. And even though the Giants worked him out, what did it get them? Beaten by ten. That's no tactic to beat Vick the [censored]. All you can hope is to limit him to 4 TDs. And that's enough to win against any team going round at the moment. And if all THAT isn't enough, even if you smash Vick in his nuts with a sledgehammer, Kolb is right there to throw for 300...

Your prediction? I think you might have something there. The Saints are just warming up, and we know all too well what they can do. Also, there's no telling how much longer Vick can play like this without being decapitated. Their starting WRs, RBs, and CBs are among the league's best, but backups? The cupboard is pretty bare. Just like with ANY football, the team's fitness will decide how far they can go.

All in all? Philly have as good a shot at winning a superbowl this year as any team going round. That's not saying much as there's a whole BUNCH of teams that are up there, but it's still an important factor.

Texans? Shame. They looked ok there for a bit. Beat some handy teams early this year. But that Sanchez TD hurt. Great game to watch, but ouch.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched Vick against Houston. Great athlete with a terrific arm, and he can run. Sometimes he doesn't make the right decisions, and he needs more protection from his offensive line.

It seems like a very even season with no standout teams. I'm a packers fan but the steelers look strong again.

I have a digital tv, 22 channels and a dual tuner dvd. Life is bliss.

I also watched the Texans Eagles game. If only Demeco Ryans had played.......

The Texans rushed Vick all game, but lacking a tough OLB and defensive leader is what let Vick off the hook.

I still think the Falcons are the team to beat in the NFC. They have taken care of business and have done so without making too much noise. Vick is certainly and MVP candidate. He is having a ripper and will be a hotly contested free agent next season. I can see Vick in Miami (his brother played in Miami!) given that they are one top QB away from storming into contenderville.

Beware of the Pats in the AFC!!

Sometimes he doesn't make the right decisions, and he needs more protection from his offensive line.

I must be new to this game. When does he ever make the wrong decision anymore? He's thrown 2 picks through about 10 games! And given the modest offensive line, they're standing up wonderfully. In all but the last two games Vick has had an eternity to make his decisions. Only Cutler at the Bears shadowed him, and he'll never play a game like that again. At least not this year.

I'm willing to concede easily here as I'm new to it...

It seems like a very even season with no standout teams. I'm a packers fan but the steelers look strong again.

I have a digital tv, 22 channels and a dual tuner dvd. Life is bliss.

We just got cable in the place I'm staying, and I'll be there throughout the first half of playoffs. Oh... and I'm going to Miami vs Cleveland tomorrow!!! My first NFL game!!! SHould I wear my Vick jersey? :D

The Texans rushed Vick all game, but lacking a tough OLB and defensive leader is what let Vick off the hook.

Yeah. The bears game showed the Eagles big weakness. A strong complete defence will get him.

I still think the Falcons are the team to beat in the NFC.

And yet, we beat them, and beat them well. :D.

I can see Vick in Miami (his brother played in Miami!) given that they are one top QB away from storming into contenderville.

If he doesn't get retained at Philly, the town will implode.

Beware of the Pats in the AFC!!

That's the superbowl winner right there. Best performed this season. I'm picking the Eagles at this stage to get there.... but it could be the Falcons, Packers easily... and watching the Bears last weekend? They worry me too.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm just getting into NFL at the moment. Rules are a bit of a killer working out what's going on and what the heck a down is, but I'm getting there. It's good fun.

Someone tell me which team to follow.

GO THE EAGLES!!!!

They're the most rewarding team to follow at the moment. Doing all the freakiest things. If you have questions, don't be afraid to ask... I used to judge this sport hugely... but once you get the rules down, it becomes a massively rewarding game to follow as a fan. But as usual, it's only rewarding if the team you pick is winning.

Michael Vick, DeSean Jackson! What a win!

31-10 down in the last quarter - 65 yard punt return for a touchdown in the last play!

Eagles go top with 2 to play!

Extraordinary. I still don't really believe it happened. And I certainly don't know HOW. The onside kick had them completely fooled, Jackson got very lucky... It's all about Vick though. He had 37 yards at halftime, and ended up with 250+ passing and 150+ rushing... It's one of the top 5 things I've ever seen on a field of sport. The media over here is losing their blob over it... They're calling it the Miracle at the NEW meadowlands. My mate who got me into the Eagles got in a cab to go home... I had to call him on the phone.... and he still didn't even believe me!!! Andy Reid in tears in the rooms after... I knew this team could do some freaky things, but I didn't think they could do that.

Who are you picking for the Superbowl? Pats/Eagles?!!! I know I am...

Yeah, now that the smoke has settled a bit (though not on sportcenter I can tell you), the more I think about it the more I reckon that may have been the Eagles' ceiling. They played pretty badly for 3 and a half quarters... And didn't deserve to win, as they didn't play good footy for as long. They can't rely on freaky Vick plays and dumb luck from Dodge to Jackson to win games... The better defences will blitz Vick, and it'll be enough most likely.

I wouldn't say the Eagles fear anyone, but I don't like the thought that they'll probably end up playing the Giants in week one. And if not them, most likely the defending champs... of all teams.

Still. Fun to watch.

i dont get all the conferences and how that all works.

seems to me the patriots are the team to beat though...

Well, they change their setup a fair bit, but they'll be staying where they are with it for the near future, until more teams come in.

Think of a 32 team comp split into 2 "conferences" of 16 (American Football Conference, and National Football Conference... or AFC and NFC).

Now. Those two conferences are divided up into 4 further groups of 4... North, South, East and West. How the year works is that the winner of each of these divisions goes to playoffs. Obviously that would suck if the 2 best teams in a conference are both in the same division, so they have a "wild card" opportunity... That is that in each conference, the two teams with the best records that HAVEN'T won their divisions get to go through to the playoffs. So that makes each conference have 4 playoff teams, plus the two wild cards... Which makes 12 teams out of the 32 make the playoffs. I won't go into the playoff system, that's a bit more complicated (but makes sense, the teams that rank the highest get the best run)...

I thought it was a bit messed up at first but now that I think about it it makes a lot more sense. The NFL season is only 16 games long... not 22 like us, and not 31, so even if you wanted to, you could never play EVERY team in the league once. So instead of just random seeding, you're placed in these 4-team divisions... and in the 16 game season you have to play your division rivals twice. Once at home and once away. So for my team, the Eagles we play 3 teams that have become massive rivals over the years... the Giants, Redskins and Cowboys who are all big-money, big-name teams. So it kind of heightens the storyline, if you like. What's more we play them all in the last 3 weeks, or near enough to. The reason this is a big deal is if you're tied at the top of your division with some other team, the tie-breaker there is your record against these teams. This year for example, the Eagles are only one win ahead of their hated division rivals the New York Giants, with 2 games remaining. But as it happens, the Eagles have won BOTH games against them this season... which means that if we somehow end on the same amount of wins, we go through to the playoffs instead of them... Which is awesome.

The goofy thing about the system, especially this year, is that you ALWAYS get one division that is just terrible. They have this awful situation at the moment in the National conference, where there's 3 teams fighting for the last Wild Card spot. The Saints (10-4), the Giants (9-5) and the Packers (8-6).... And yet in the NFC West, the team on top of that division has a record of 6-8. A full 2 wins less than one of the teams that'll miss out on playoffs!!!!! So you end up with the 6th-best team in the conference missing out, and one of the finals being played by a genuinely awful team.

They're looking into it now though. I think maybe something like, you can only advance past the regular season if you have a winning record, or something like that.

Plenty of good wiki pages that are nice and simple, if none of that made sense. :D

Well, they change their setup a fair bit, but they'll be staying where they are with it for the near future, until more teams come in.

Think of a 32 team comp split into 2 "conferences" of 16 (American Football Conference, and National Football Conference... or AFC and NFC).

Now. Those two conferences are divided up into 4 further groups of 4... North, South, East and West. How the year works is that the winner of each of these divisions goes to playoffs. Obviously that would suck if the 2 best teams in a conference are both in the same division, so they have a "wild card" opportunity... That is that in each conference, the two teams with the best records that HAVEN'T won their divisions get to go through to the playoffs. So that makes each conference have 4 playoff teams, plus the two wild cards... Which makes 12 teams out of the 32 make the playoffs. I won't go into the playoff system, that's a bit more complicated (but makes sense, the teams that rank the highest get the best run)...

I thought it was a bit messed up at first but now that I think about it it makes a lot more sense. The NFL season is only 16 games long... not 22 like us, and not 31, so even if you wanted to, you could never play EVERY team in the league once. So instead of just random seeding, you're placed in these 4-team divisions... and in the 16 game season you have to play your division rivals twice. Once at home and once away. So for my team, the Eagles we play 3 teams that have become massive rivals over the years... the Giants, Redskins and Cowboys who are all big-money, big-name teams. So it kind of heightens the storyline, if you like. What's more we play them all in the last 3 weeks, or near enough to. The reason this is a big deal is if you're tied at the top of your division with some other team, the tie-breaker there is your record against these teams. This year for example, the Eagles are only one win ahead of their hated division rivals the New York Giants, with 2 games remaining. But as it happens, the Eagles have won BOTH games against them this season... which means that if we somehow end on the same amount of wins, we go through to the playoffs instead of them... Which is awesome.

The goofy thing about the system, especially this year, is that you ALWAYS get one division that is just terrible. They have this awful situation at the moment in the National conference, where there's 3 teams fighting for the last Wild Card spot. The Saints (10-4), the Giants (9-5) and the Packers (8-6).... And yet in the NFC West, the team on top of that division has a record of 6-8. A full 2 wins less than one of the teams that'll miss out on playoffs!!!!! So you end up with the 6th-best team in the conference missing out, and one of the finals being played by a genuinely awful team.

They're looking into it now though. I think maybe something like, you can only advance past the regular season if you have a winning record, or something like that.

Plenty of good wiki pages that are nice and simple, if none of that made sense. :D

Which was the last Wildcard team to win the Superbowl? Was it the Oakland Raiders but that seems a long time ago?

Edited by america de cali

We all love a good DD novel!

And I've been so good lately, haven't I? At least I save my relapses for the off season...

What I don't get in American sports is how divisions can be different sizes. It seems fundamentally unfair to me.

Yeah. That's messed up. It's great now that the divisions are 8 X 4... Everyone has 3 competitors for the chance to compete in the playoffs, and every year your team's chances vary WILDLY. Injuries can make you 13-3 or 3-13 at any given time. The MLB one makes NO sense to me at all.

The American League has 14 teams, and the National League has 16. So the way it works out the American League west division gets 4 teams, but the National League Central Division gets 6?!!!! It's not like they're all in the same places in the country either. Houston and Chicago? They're on opposite ends of the country! I think, from memory, that it's a historical thing. Back when there were two separate leagues, before the MLB became one big organisation, the leagues were lopsided. But I can't see why, in the homogenised game as it is, they can't just take Chicago and whack it in AL West. Then it's 15 teams in each conference, 5 a division... everyone's happy. That whacky old MLB.

I might start an MLB thread next season... Part of the deal in which I became an Eagles supporter (in exchange for my American friend becoming a Demons supporter) was that I follow the Phillies too... and we just took Cliff Lee from under the noses of the Yankees!!! That's like Nicking Dane Swan on half pay from the Pies!

Which was the last Wildcard team to win the Superbowl? Was it the Oakland Raiders but that seems a long time ago?

Giants in 2007 did it. The year the Patriots went undefeated until the superbowl. One of the biggest boilovers EVER. NOBODY expected the G-girls to get close. I still remember that. It was my first few months in the States, and people couldn't believe it.

The thing with those Wild Cards is that they're still a pretty legit way to make it. I mean, you can quite easily be the second best team in your division, and still get a wild card. The New Orleans Saints, right now for example... In the NFC, the Falcons are way out ahead on 12-2... But there's a few teams on 10-4... namely the Eagles, Bears and Saints. You could argue with Brees (Saints QB) throwing as well as he is, that they're the biggest threat... after all they hold the NFL title at the moment. But because they're in the same division as the Falcons, their best hope is for a Wild Card, but they're as much of a chance to win the lot as anyone. Brees is a star.

Edited by Dappa Dan