• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Maynard must get at least four weeks

leave it to deever

10 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

For a very long time I’ve felt like AFL is becoming harder and harder to enjoy. 
This incident and the follow up from the media and fans has really solidified for me just how little I like or enjoy football beyond watching Melbourne. 

The sheer lack of empathy for a man who is potentially never going to play again, is mind boggling. 
While in the same breath the media is defending and protecting a known thug who has form. 
It is despicable to hear and read and I’ve had just about enough of it. 

A part of me wants this season to be over for us ASAP so I can just stop caring about football and take a much needed break from the steaming pile of trash that the AFL, the media and the general fans have become. 

I agree last night my wife asked me are you watching the game tonight? My reply I have little interest in Senior AFL beyond Melbourne. Yesterday I went to see my granddaughter play in the GF of their basketball season. I am way more interested in them  than other AFL games.

PS sadly they lost and felt way more emotion at their loss than the MFC on Thursday night.

Edited by old dee
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Yep. There's been no comment about Brayshaw's welfare that I have seen, although I like others here have been less engaged since that atrocity.

At least one neutral mate - a Bulldogs supporter - is of the view that the action by Maynard was deliberate and targeted. That does not seem to be even a remote consideration for the football commentariat who are agonising about "football actions"

The problem with calling it a football action - they are referring to the attempted smother - is that it ceases to be a football action when Maynard turns his shoulder and drives it into Brayshaw. By that time the smother had failed.

Another point: I was at the game, on the wing, and like others around me I did not see it live. Why? Because I was watching the ball. The point being this was an off-the-ball hit.

Three weeks and damn the AFL if they let block headed sniper wriggle off.

Edited by pitmaster
  • Like 9
  • Clap 4

Even if you don’t think what Maynard did was calculated or callus or careless, you should still care about the welfare of the player who lost consciousness and is in a bad way. 
Yet very few in the media have expressed any concern for him at all. They are at pains to paint Maynard as a saint for bringing Gus a bottle of wine. How about instead of bin diving to support the perpetrator, you find out how the victim is doing. 
And what gets me the most, is if the situation was reversed and a Melbourne player such as May or Kosi or Viney did that to say a Daicos, they would be coming for them with pitchforks. 
It is pathetic. 

• Like 15
  • Clap 2
  • Angry 1

8 minutes ago, old dee said:

I agree it is getting harder and harder to enjoy. Callous is the word. If he doesn't get a substantial suspension it makes a mockery of the AFL's statements about protecting the head.

The one thing in our favour (in terms of justice being served) is that the AFL's main interest is in maximising the dollars ... and that extends to having to fork out tens of $Millions in class actions regarding CTE

They won't want to be encouraging more lawsuits because that means more money lost

• Like 1

In a split second decision like this the conscious mind doesn't have time to respond so the unconscious mind reacts by however it has been programmed or conditioned, in Maynard's case it was a shoulder to the head. Case closed.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

Haven't read this thread, but want to comment, seeing as there are many commentators suggesting it was a consequence of a football act.

I'm surprised, he obviously expected to hit the player at some time. To brace and put his shoulder into the head of a completely open Gus was unacceptable. 

He left the ground and therefore couldn't control the impact, yet was able to brace and hit Gus in the head with his shoulder. 

He had the option of pulling his torso down and collecting Gus lower.

Plenty of alternative scenario were possible, he chose the one that would hurt.

If Gus cannot play again, sue him and anyone who suggest this should be part of our game.

Gus did nothing wrong, except run towards a thug.

Edited by kev martin
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

Seems like a whole slew of things combining in this story. First and foremost a serious ko to Brayshaw that may well end the career of one of our clubs champions. This is really a sad thing and Im still furious about it. 

Second is the outrageous media bias, the disgusting gathering of commentators demeaning themselves at the collingwood alter. As has been mentioned we KNOW this would not be happening if that was kozzi or Viney on Daicos. 

Third, while we know all about the Collingwood worship from media looking for clicks, there is the added element that as a club we seem so easy to push around. No one in the media seems to really have our back. Garry lyon is old time in that he appears neutral so often. 

Fourth , the charge at Brayshaw ( let’s just call a frikn spade a spade. i’d call it the same way if it was a dee) took out one of our best and it prob changed the outcome in that  QF. Arguable but either way we lost a close final and probably ended our flag hopes.  So, we have the added disappointment of a probable wasted season now.. And if gus does retire then our window looks narrower going forward

So there’s the worry for Gus , the loss on its own but some cascading disappointments. A big moment for this teams legacy. 

• Like 19
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

5 minutes ago, DeeMee said:

What the hell have we done to the media!!!

Goody makes reasonable comments post match in the emotion of it and gets lambasted

Mcrae makes comments about it defending his player and it’s good old Fly

The media is little more than an arm of the Collingwood cheer squad imo, as Collingwood is such a powerful driver of clicks, engagement and all the other metrics that matter to the media today.

• Like 3
  • Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, Chook said:

The media is little more than an arm of the Collingwood cheer squad imo, as Collingwood is such a powerful driver of clicks, engagement and all the other metrics that matter to the media today.

Eddie Maguire must be in the shadows operating as well. He used to be a TV producer, wasn't he?

• Angry 1

54 minutes ago, old dee said:

I agree last night my wife asked me are you watching the game tonight? My reply I have little interest in Senior AFL beyond Melbourne. Yesterday I went to see my granddaughter play in the GF of their basketball season. I am way more interested in them  than other AFL games.

PS sadly they lost and felt way more emotion at their loss than the MFC on Thursday night.

I am the opposite, in recent years I am watching more footy than ever. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

As I said before, if that does eventuate and by a miracle we face them again in this finals campaign, I hope May decks the thug at the very first opportunity. 😤😤

Look I’d like to disagree but can’t. Remember the hits on Geelong in the 21 prelim? Where’s that nastiness? If by some miracle - and it will take some doing - we meet them, there should be a team mantra of taking him out, with a footy action. 

• Clap 2

51 minutes ago, Emerald said:

In a split second decision like this the conscious mind doesn't have time to respond so the unconscious mind reacts by however it has been programmed or conditioned, in Maynard's case it was a shoulder to the head. Case closed.

Except that he made a conscious decision to run full tilt at an opposition player and should have reasonably foreseen he would make forceful contact with that player as a result.  The end result is the shoulder connected with the head.

He got it wrong - plain and simple. 

Edited by grazman
  • Like 4
  • Clap 2

I wish the board would issue a statement calling the obvious media bias into account then being very direct and forceful with the AFL regarding same. 

I still think Kane’s intervention is a grim portent for Maynard. If he gets off or a very light sentence, the AFL can appeal it, and we should insist we have input into that. 

I think everyone thinks we’re the good corporate citizen and have a soft underbelly. It’d be good to disabuse them of that perception

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, grazman said:

Except that he made a conscious decision to run full tilt at an opposition player and should have reasonably foreseen he would make forceful contact with that player as a result.  The end result is the shoulder connected with the head.

He got it wrong - plain and simple. 

Yep. There is no planet where the action was not, at the least, careless. Even if you accept he didnt mean it.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, kev martin said:

If Gus cannot play again, sue him and anyone who suggest this should be part of our game.

Gus did nothing wrong, except run towards a thug.

I had thought suing is over the top but if Gus does have to retire and hopefully that not the case then this probably does end up in some sort of legal case. He’s still got 5 years left on his contract is that right? So we are talking over $3mil in earnings. Would this be covered by some sort of work place insurance? Even if it is insurance companies don’t like to pay out if there’s a chance they can put somebody else on the hook. 
I’m not saying Collingwood or Maynard should be on the hook by the way, but I think given the possible consequences there’s no way I can see him getting off without a serious ban. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1

2 hours ago, McQueen said:

You sent me up the garden path a little bit 😆 - it’s actually the ‘Offsiders’ for anyone wanting to check it out but pretty sure you need the iview app and an account as I can’t share a link and had to do the above. 

AFL segment runs from 15 mins in until 22 mins. 

My mistake. Many thanks.  I watched both on IView and got confused.  IView is free streaming from ABC on smart TV's.

Edited by Demon17
spelling mistakes

11 minutes ago, Colm said:

I had thought suing is over the top but if Gus does have to retire and hopefully that not the case then this probably does end up in some sort of legal case. He’s still got 5 years left on his contract is that right? So we are talking over $3mil in earnings. Would this be covered by some sort of work place insurance? Even if it is insurance companies don’t like to pay out if there’s a chance they can put somebody else on the hook. 
I’m not saying Collingwood or Maynard should be on the hook by the way, but I think given the possible consequences there’s no way I can see him getting off without a serious ban. 

How can Gus sue on what grounds though?

He knew that playing footy from his history of concussion that he was putting himself at risk with every game he played.

I certainly think any talk of suing is certainly over the top. There would be a clause in his contract that if he were to take a hit and retire prematurely,  he'd get a contract payout immediately from the footy club.

Gus would only sue if he felt that club doctors did not prioritise his health as a priority and put him at risk by allowing him back playing against medical orders. 

In this case, I think the club hasn't handled this just fine.

Edited by dazzledavey36

I’m still really really angry

If this thug Maynard gets off, I’ll probably storm the AAMI Centre and give him a running aerial bump myself  

I played 8 uneventful years of footy at Tooronga-Malvern in the Southern League.  Some tough footy amongst that limited career. No suspensions of course but a few scraps , especially twice at Highett   

truth telling in my view 

1- this is not a football act , simply not !!! To say it is is a lie and a manipulation to try to exonerate Maynard 

2- AFL has mandated on many many many occasions, players have a Duty of Care to other players now.

3- If you change body shape to initiate contact via a bump to the head, it is no defence to then say you were only bracing for contact.

4-  Maynard had two other options were to a) not brace with his shoulder, but rather, keep his hands out to lessen impact, or b) avoid contact altogether.
He chose the one banned option.

5- The fact that Gus was concussed and didn’t play any further in the time. That goes solely to severity (severe) and the review process of the penalty

A clear summary of how it should be read …

CARELESS , SEVERE IMPACT, HIGH CONTACT 

MINIMUM 3 WEEKS 

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

Look I’d like to disagree but can’t. Remember the hits on Geelong in the 21 prelim? Where’s that nastiness? If by some miracle - and it will take some doing - we meet them, there should be a team mantra of taking him out, with a footy action. 

Kudos to Jack Viney taking on a backing off Maynard after the hit on Angus. Hoskin-Elliot's cowardly grab from behind then emboldened Maynard and Jack had 2 on his hands.

Maynard has a cowardly formline in attacking open and/or defenceless players e.g. same done to Ed langdon last year. Dippers another from the olden days. A Brownlow?  Sheeesh!.

Some say Maynard's tough. That not how I would describe him

• Like 3
  • Clap 1