King: Oliver can be Dee's Dusty

Demonland

Oliver is far ahead of duty at 20 yrs old.  I look to see him keep improving not only skill and awareness but also his physical ability, remember he's still growing/developing and won't peak for another 5 years.  He'll be our first true superstar since Lyon and Flower. (*Could have put swartz in there pre-acl)

I had a look at that years draft this week of who came before and after and he's the pick the bunch, no one is near him.  Considering he was considered an unexpected bolder at the time we took him.  Whoever spotted him should be paid lots to find more.

Edited by Darkhorse72
  • Love 2

12 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Clayton kicking goals in September 

That is the month that careers are made in stone. 

I just pictured Oliver with Norm Smith around his neck. 

• Like 2
  • Love 2

15 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

I just pictured Oliver with Norm Smith around his neck. 

Of course hanging beside his premiership medallion and Brownlow

• Like 1
  • Love 2

I TOLD EVERYONE HE WILL BE BETTER THAN PETRACCA AND WILL WIN A BROWNLOW.. EVERYONE LAUGHED AT ME. WHO IS LAUGHING NOW HAHAHA

Probably all of us are laughing, considering he plays for the team we support. Nonetheless, haha.

3 minutes ago, juzzk1d said:

I TOLD EVERYONE HE WILL BE BETTER THAN PETRACCA AND WILL WIN A BROWNLOW.. EVERYONE LAUGHED AT ME. WHO IS LAUGHING NOW HAHAHA

Probably all of us are laughing, considering he plays for the team we support. Nonetheless, haha.

Nobody is laughing because he still hasn't won a brownlow! haha

27 minutes ago, SFebey said:

Nobody is laughing because he still hasn't won a brownlow! haha

Oh but "he will",  haha!

• Haha 1

Garlett could be put to good measure. Someone made a great point on FB. Swap him and Oliver at the end of every quarter, get some run and spread through the midfield, an outside runner, then deliver to Oliver to work his magic.

King isn't wrong.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Did Oliver ever play in the VFL?

If my memory serves me correctly he played the first round in the seniors after he was drafted.

Correct, he played the first round 2016 and he played enough VFL games in 2016 to play in the finals.

37 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Correct, he played the first round 2016 and he played enough VFL games in 2016 to play in the finals.

only 13 games in his first season which surprised me. hasn't missed since

P.S. cripps only had 3 in his first season

Edited by daisycutter

4 hours ago, juzzk1d said:

The last player i had down for a Brownlow was Cam Bruce after witnessing him in his first year. I had him down for 3 Brownlows too. "The next James Hird" - Nailed it!

Edited by John Demonic
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, P-man said:

Gotta say King makes a pretty solid case. He’s always been shifted forward towards the end of the game or once the result has been determined. I could be mistaken but I can’t recall it happening when trying to build an early lead.. It would be a brave move on Goodwin’s part to play him forward in the percentages King is talking about.

There are some nice lines in that article btw, including turning the goal square into “Red’s square”, but I think my favourite would have to be “..it’s just impossible to stop Clayton winning the football”. 

Liked this one:

'Oliver is the AFL’s best player across the past 18 months when the ball is on the ground, winning almost 20 per cent more possessions than seasoned stars such as Patrick Dangerfield, Trent Cotchin, Josh Kennedy and like.'  

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, John Demonic said:

The last player i had down for a Brownlow was Cam Bruce after witnessing him in his first year. I had him down for 3 Brownlows too. "The next James Hird" - Nailed it!

Remember 2005 where he was on fire for the first three games of the year? Brent Guera targeted him at the start of the round 4, pinned his arms and tackled him heavily into the turf. Damaged his ACL. Had 8 Brownlow votes in those first 3 games.

• Like 1

Oliver is too good of an inside mid to take out of the midfield to rest forward too long. He has the cleanest hands of a midfielder I have ever seen. The game is won and lost in the midfield. I understand that teams have to kick goals, but if they aren't on top of the midfield battle those goals will be few and far between. Oliver's best attributes are better utilized in our midfield IMO.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KingDingAling said:

Oliver is too good of an inside mid to take out of the midfield to rest forward too long. He has the cleanest hands of a midfielder I have ever seen. The game is won and lost in the midfield. I understand that teams have to kick goals, but if they aren't on top of the midfield battle those goals will be few and far between. Oliver's best attributes are better utilized in our midfield IMO.

And that's why you don't mess with the strongest attributes of the best young mid in the game, by playing him forward early in the contest.

You play your best players in the position where they create the most damage, and for Oliver, it is definitely on the ball, and not waiting for someone to get it to him. 

• Like 1

he reminds me more of Michael Voss. When Voss went forward magic happened - like him pulling 2 goals out if his ass in the final minute to beat us in Cairns. 

might just be the red hair though.... :lol:

2 hours ago, jako13 said:

he reminds me more of Michael Voss. When Voss went forward magic happened - like him pulling 2 goals out if his ass in the final minute to beat us in Cairns. 

might just be the red hair though.... :lol:

oliver on the latest inside melbourne podcast said that he very much modelled his early game on voss

three premierships and a brownlow to come!

(preferably no horrific broken leg tho)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, BAMF said:

Remember 2005 where he was on fire for the first three games of the year? Brent Guera targeted him at the start of the round 4, pinned his arms and tackled him heavily into the turf. Damaged his ACL. Had 8 Brownlow votes in those first 3 games.

9 brownlow votes i think mate and Guerra broke Cams collarbone

17 hours ago, BAMF said:

He was that dominant in those 1st 3 games that in the 3rd game some of the crowd were chanting ‘brownlow’ absolutely put the mozz on him and he broke his collar bone the next week, wasn’t the same after that 

Well Clarry won't be resting forward much now that Viney is out with the foot injury again. He'll be needed in the centre to carry a heavier load.

Edited by Lord Travis