PODCAST: Rd 24 vs Collingwood

The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 26th August @ 7:30pm. Join Binman & I as we analyse the Demons loss at the MCG against the Magpies in the Round 24.

You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show.

If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

Listen & Chat LIVE: https://demonland.com/podcast

Call: 03 9016 3666

Podcast0239.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 5

Nothing to take out of that game, a lot of guys looking for the end.  Good to see Salem hit some form in the past couple of weeks.

Thanks for the year gents, and I look forward to a fresh fit Dees for 2025

The biggest question to be asked is when are we going to stop letting Collingwood bully us?

When will we stand up and fight back?

Will Angus Brayshaw ever be avenged and Brayden Maynard put in hospital? An eye for an eye? Or will we continue to be laughed at as a soft and weak football club?

• Like 1

Once again we did not adjust or handle the wet conditions as well as our opponents. We could not keep out feet and the ball was once again soap in our hands. Collingwood did not have as many issues with the wet conditions as we did. Very frustrating to watch.

Thanks for all your effort on the podcast this season, Andy, George and Binman.  We've gone out with a whimper rather than a bang.  What do you consider the priority to help us reconnect as a team, recover from the sh*tshow of this season (from retirements, media bs and injuries) and take 2025 by storm? 

• Like 2

This is an open ended question, but do you think we are starting to value the wrong things at this footy club? We bring in competitors who will play our contest and defence mantra, but what about valuing the skills of the game? When was the last time this club recruited an absolute elite field kicker? I’m talking a Gulden, Blakey, Daicos level. I see so many guys come through the door who are just average or maybe above average kicks. If we’re ever going to improve our turnover game we’ll need some sort of drastic improvement in kicking skills and decision making under pressure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Firstly I want to thank you guys, Andy, George and Binman for fronting up each week in a difficult and frustrating season. It really is the highlight of my footy week. Looking forward to a better season next year.

Secondly I want to thank all the listeners who bring up some interesting questions and topics for the discussion each week. Well done to the Demonland Podcast Family. It really is a team effort.

Thirdly I want to give props to TMac for a fantastic season. We all wrote him off last year and who would have thought he would have rejuvenated his career by going back into defence. He stood up week in week out. His disposal improved out of sight (with the exception of the occasional howler but hey this is Melbourne - it's in our DNA).

By the end of the season TMac was holding the defence together and I thought he was outstanding on tonight. Best on Ground for the Demons.

• Like 3
  • Clap 2

Why didn't we put any time into Nicky Daicos. Last time we played Nibbler on him and kept him to 15 disposals. I get that it was a Dead Rubber and Nibbler was playing his last game and perhaps they didn't want him playing that negating role but for Fs sake we should have sat someone on him. He and his brother ran riot and we probably just gifted him an Brownlow.

• Like 1

Thank you to Andy, Binman and George. My footy media intake dropped dramatically this year and yours was the only footy podcast I listened to this year.

Dont have a lot to say about tonight. Apart from a limp effort tonight we once again looked confused with ball in hand, I believe we need to continue to develop the transition game and the red and blue print and continue to bring in the kinds of players that can help us execute this. Thoughts?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Supreme_Demon said:

The biggest question to be asked is when are we going to stop letting Collingwood bully us?

When will we stand up and fight back?

Will Angus Brayshaw ever be avenged and Brayden Maynard put in hospital? An eye for an eye? Or will we continue to be laughed at as a soft and weak football club?

This club has no taste for vengeance

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1

ignore the game, it was irrelevant 

what would you accept as a suitable trade for petracca? or oliver? or fritch? or bowey?

what are our glaring weaknesses and do we have the players to currently fix them on our list or do we need to recruit to bring in to fill holes / plug gaps / create competition for roles?

which of our youngsters do you expect to get better in 2025? 

which of our fringe players do you expect to cement a role in the afl side in 2025? 

• Like 1

Thanks, once more, to Andy, George and binman for your tireless work getting my favourite podcast to air each week.  Between you there is a balance of humour, reason, optimism and pessimism (won't name who) and passion.

I couldn't help noticing on the game day thread just how many posters, ostensibly and presumably MFC "supporters" who incessantly bagged many of our players and of course the entire coaching panel, recruiting and trading staff.  I just wonder why they bother quite frankly, and whether they actually love our club.  Only one team can win a flag, and every successful team needs to reset and rebuild though not necessarily involving  bottoming out.

Yes, some, many of our players had bad nights and or were beaten, yet we were missing quite a few automatic picks in the line up (May, Lever, Oliver, Petracca, maybe Sparrow, Spargo and of course Brayshaw), many of those being experienced leaders.   

The season was disappointing to say the least, but is the glass half full or half empty.  We blooded Widsor, Tholstrup, Howes, K Brown, and got games into JVR, McVee.    McVee may or may not turn out to be a gun mid, but at least (yes, through circumstances) he has had a feel of midfield and may or may not settle there or concentrate on becoming a gun defender which of which he has shown plenty.    

Looking forward to this being discussed bit tonight and in a full season review, and again after trade and draft time.

Thanks again, and GO DEMONS 2025.  Exciting times ahead (though many here will have nothing good to say about our beloved DEES, players, staff, recruiters, traders etc  until we win another flag) - even then some will complain about the margin, ack of killer instinct when we lead a GF by 60 points and end up winning by only 50..

• Like 2

Gents, as always love the podcast. Very frustrating game that was basically lost in the first half (really first quarter). We are proud that our zone/all team defence is our “one wood” however should we switch this style to man-on-man for the start of games against teams with strong foot skills and able to rapidly move the ball (any basket baller will tell you rapid ball movement is how to smash a zone defence)? Later in the game when the players are tired you definitely switch back to zone, however it just gets so frustrating watching Collingwood (and Freo) 2 strong skilled teams smash our zone apart at the start of games and get a strong lead.

• Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

Imagine an alternate 2024 for the soon to be minor premiers the Swans.

Before the season begins:

- Dean Cox resigns to coach Richmond.

- Back up ruckman Ladhams requests a trade to an interstate club.

- Nick Blakey retires after repeated concussions.

- Issac Heeney, Hayden McLean and Dane Rampe all have compromised preseasons.

Then…

- Oliver Florent breaks his collarbone in Opening Round and misses 2 months.

- Corey Warner injures his Achilles and is out for the season.

- Logan McDonald injures his knee after 5 games and doesn’t play senior footy again. 

- Taylor Adams is badly out of form with just 2 senior games all year.

- Harry Cunningham has knee surgery mid-season and looks hampered for the rest of the year.

- Errol Gulden has a season ending Grade 5 lacerated spleen, four broken ribs, and a punctured lung. Gulden’s management later leaks that he would leave the club if he wasn’t contracted.

- Tom Papley had a disappointing season kicking half as many goals with half as many disposals than usual.

- John Longmire is hospitalised with a serious skin infection mid season.

- Tom McCartin is hospitalised after breaking his ribs in Round 21.

- Issac Heeney plays with a broken hand and a PCL injury for most of the season but still ends up with a top 10 finish in the Bob Stilkton Medal.

- Sam Wicks requests a trade to Adelaide for family reason. 

Does any of this sound familiar?

Any other club would have had a season as bad as Richmond or North had they suffered the misfortunes we’ve endured all year especially with injury.

Whatever the media narrative would have us believe - all things considered we’ve had a relatively successful year being in contention for finals up until the last few games and 11 wins. 

Here’s hoping we nail our preseason and the footy gods smile on us in 2025. Up the Red Leggers!

Edited by OhMyDees
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Positives. Gawn. Salem. Tmcd. Chandler. Langdon. All could walk off proudly.  

Negatives.  Missed tackles. Turnovers.  Fumbles. Slip overs.  No game plan.  Umpiring.  

If I was discussing with Goody 

1.  Turnovers. Pies beat us in every stat … except for turnovers.  Our skills were horrible. And these were not risky kicks to create. Basic kicking errors.  

2. Zone defence. Guard grass. What !! Why !!  Pies cut us up each time with run and skill. Man up. They destroyed us with uncontested footy.  Kick mark kick mark run and overlap.  It’s been year after year. 

3. Tag N Daicos. It worked previously.  But we let him run right from the start. 10 possessions by 20 minutes in first qtr.  pies were then 4 goals up.  Poor coaching.  

4. tell Kozzzy never to bump again. It’s too risky !!

there’s a lot more that’s enough for this weeks game 

• Like 2

Thanks again, gentlemen.  We didnt come to win (as spouted all week by the club), we limped over the line.  

Why not make a final go of it and win the hearts and minds of the supporters over the summer?

What was your thoughts on booing Maynard all night?

Smoke or fire?  Is there something rotten going on inside the club, or are all the pundits just wrong?

On 23/08/2024 at 23:32, mandeelorian said:

Firstly I want to thank you guys, Andy, George and Binman for fronting up each week in a difficult and frustrating season. It really is the highlight of my footy week. Looking forward to a better season next year.

Secondly I want to thank all the listeners who bring up some interesting questions and topics for the discussion each week. Well done to the Demonland Podcast Family. It really is a team effort.

Thirdly I want to give props to TMac for a fantastic season. We all wrote him off last year and who would have thought he would have rejuvenated his career by going back into defence. He stood up week in week out. His disposal improved out of sight (with the exception of the occasional howler but hey this is Melbourne - it's in our DNA).

By the end of the season TMac was holding the defence together and I thought he was outstanding on tonight. Best on Ground for the Demons.

Great post and good to see someone sticking up for Tmac.

Despite having a couple of horrors towards the end of the year while playing on some elite talented opposition he has been very good.

Has reinvented himself again going back to his original charge and has done exceptionally well.

So much so, he deserves another year.

Thanks guys for some great pcasts and dealing with my venting and negativity.

Enjoy the cricket.

Looked carefully at wheelo’s ratings and it was not what I saw with my own eyes at the game. I have watched Nibbler turn the ball over for years now. I’m happy for him to jog on to Adelaide. Give me stats on first touch possessions and midfield to forward line connections. Give me stats on Max Gawn’s facial expressions and Fritch’s one arm tackle attempts. Give me stats on who has checked out and who sh**ts their pants under pressure. Talk about ‘Pearlo’s Stats’.

• Thinking 1

In 2018, Fritsch was used off the half back line.  Could we use him back there from time to time to get him more into the game, and utilize his better than average kicking skills?

Does Spargo have a role next year in replacing ANB's ability as the defensive half forward?

The skill difference on Friday night was palpably obvious, what on earth do we do about it?

• Like 1

What did the panel think of Kozzie's bump and the resulting 3 match suspension by the MRO? Do you think we will appeal?

I know Kozzie has priors with these types of indiscretions but I think in this instance he has a case that he can at least plead in that Moore went to ground and had he kept his feet then perhaps it would have been a fair bump. Kozzie could not have reasonably forseen that Moore would drop like a lollipop.

What do you guys think and thanks for the another great season of podcasting?

• Like 1

I want to extend a heartfelt thank you to all of you for consistently showing up week after week to produce the podcast this season. It’s clear that this year has been incredibly challenging for all of us, and I sense that the difficulties may not be over yet, with the offseason likely to bring its own set of challenges.

Amidst the frustration and disappointment of what has been a tough season, your podcast has been a breath of fresh air. It has provided much-needed balance and perspective, helping to cut through the doom and gloom that has surrounded our club. Your insights and discussions have offered some solace during these trying times.

I truly hope that you’ll continue to be a steady presence even after Trade Week, just in case we need to come together for an emergency session to, dare I say, exorcise whatever demons may still be haunting our club. Your voices have become an important part of navigating the highs and lows, and I, for one, would appreciate having you around as we brace for whatever comes next.

Now back to this current game; Given the conditions on the night do you think losing Lever to illness pre-game had any baring on proceedings?

Going to cut off the questions and comments here. See you tonight for the season finale of the Demonland Podcast *.

* There will still be a couple of specials during the offseason. Stay tuned for our annual Season Review and Trade Week shows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1