PREGAME: Rd 09 vs Carlton

I don't want to be negative but that game probably drained us a lot. The five day break really annoys me. Will it have an impact?

9 hours ago, Deelectable said:

Some tough calls to make. 5 day break against a contender is a killer. Feel like we have to go for some fresh legs. Bowey(if fit) I would put straight in. Hunter, Mcadam and maybe Tholstrup could come under consideration.  Billings will go. Can Laurie play at Casey tomorrow?  Big call but does  Windsor need a rest? Certainly think Chandler does with that knee. One thing I'd definitely be doing tomorrow would be to take off the aforementioned players at halftime or soon after. Keep all options open and see how players pull up on Monday. Unfortunately Seagulls will runaway with it but so be it.

If Chandler is injured then he should go out. Simple. But who is the most likely replacement? 

9 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Billings dropped, maybe try Woewodin in the wing.

Not sure who should be the sub.

McAdams time may have arrived.

Maybe Bowey for sub if Woeys on the wing. I thought that was one of Woeys best games.

• Like 2

McAdams, Bowey in

Billings, Woey out.

Although Wowoedin was solid last night.

• Like 1

Posters suggesting that McAdam comes in need to remember that he only played about a half in his VFL comeback game last week.  He would need to get through close to a full game today to prove he's good to go at AFL level but I doubt they'd play him off a four day break against Carlton.

All things going well, it's more likely we'll see him make his Demon debut the following week v West Coast.

• Like 6

We've got a problem with Billings. If Spargo was fit, that would be the change to make. Otherwise, is it Hunter? Jack needs to go either way. He completely disappears in big games.

It's not Laurie. The sub role isn't easy, but others that have come before him in that role - Jordon, Smith, Woewodin - all managed to show way more than Laurie has.

I'd be tempted to play Hunter for Billings, with Bowey as the sub. If Bowey is needed to cover injury (other than in defence), Rivers or Woewodin can move up the ground. Hell I'm sure Bowey can play up the ground if needed too.

BBB..Hore & Billing’s were doing their km’s on the ground after the game last night so they may not play today & be held over as emergencies / possible inclusions for next week. The team would have trained up for this stretch of games  so I think if any change maybe just Bowey straight in

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ElDiablo14 said:

Billings dropped, maybe try Woewodin in the wing.

Not sure who should be the sub.

McAdams time may have arrived.

2 hours ago, buck_nekkid said:

No to McAdam.  Not yet.  We have set ourselves for this 2 game block so no change unless needed. Hold the blues to 60-70 points and we will take the chokkies.

Surely we have 2 great wings, Langdon and Windsor . I agree Billing’s doesn’t fit in and I was disappointed with his decision making . I thought Woewodin was quite good . And I’m uneasy about Bowen playing without a Casey game first

Would love McAdam in but he will play a full game at Casey and debut v West Coast as Goody stated in the pre game presser. Think he will replace Disco.

Would consider dropping Billings for Bowey and shifting Woey to HF but that is a graveyard shift for Woey.

Maybe Chin needs to be managed.

No resting or fresh legs needed coming off the bye period. 

Cant really seen anyone coming in from Casey off a 4-day break unless they're removed from the game at half time. Wouldn't be surprised to see the emergencies in this boat as well in Hunter/Hore/Brown.

A Billings/Hunter swap could be in the cards and I'd bring Bowey straight in. May, McVee, Bowey and Howes are some excellent distributors out of defence.

I know Laurie didn't do much in his half a quarter game time but he played well the week before and will have fresh legs so wouldn't be surprised to see him retain his spot or come into the starting 22. We're never going to see if he can cut it if we don't give him some proper games.

Definitely think we need to change up the midfield as it’s a shocker right now. 
Yes we won the clearance by 1 but from afar it just looks off.

Would seriously be okay losing to west coast if it means we beat this mob on Thursday 😂

My Carlton friends are confident…. How? I don’t know! 

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Demongirl35 said:

My Carlton friends are confident…. How? I don’t know! 

I would say it is a 50/50 prospect myself.

I think Demonland is going to be a lonely place for me this week 😁

Compress_20240505_230615_5586.jpg

• Haha 5
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

Posted (edited)

Blues will want to try and make it a shoot out. Deny them the corridor and it goes a long way to stopping them.

We should have a very light week on the track.

Edited by Demon Disciple

20 minutes ago, No. 31 said:

I think Demonland is going to be a lonely place for me this week 😁

Compress_20240505_230615_5586.jpg

Just like every other week, you’re among friends here, No. 31. That is, up until late Thursday night, at which time it depends on the result.

😉  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

If anyone’s in contention surely they get pulled at 3QT.

But seriously, is this not something the AFL and VFL can work on? Is it unavoidable to have Casey play on a Sunday when Melbourne plays the following Thursday?

And what is even more bizarre is tge previous Casey game was Wednesday arvo ten days days ago.

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 1

I'm on record saying in an ideal world I'd refresh the squad with a number of changes, but given the available options are Laurie, Hore, maybe Bowey, maybe Schache if not injured, maybe BBB, maybe Hunter after playing half a VFL game (and not well) I don't expect to see much change.

I'm far from a Billings fan, but Windsor is right on the limit at about 78% game time and we're seeing a much better Ed Langdon this year limiting him to about 90% rather than pushing him to close to full games. And I'm liking a look at Ed at half forward every now and then for a change.

Nibbler can fill in, but he's so vital for the way he stretches the ground end to end from half forward. So there's 30% or so game time for a 3rd winger and in that role Billings is at least competent in getting to the right spots. As frustrating as he is and also knowing he's a likely sub out candidate most weeks he still fits the mold of a forward/wing hybrid player which we really need. 

• Like 4

Interesting footage on Sunday Footy Show showing the pies keeping the Carlton mids away from the centre bounce. 

Pendles physically kept cripps 5-7m away from the contest. Another pie kept Walsh away. 

It really disrupted the Carlton clearance machine

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Interesting footage on Sunday Footy Show showing the pies keeping the Carlton mids away from the centre bounce. 

Pendles physically kept cripps 5-7m away from the contest. Another pie kept Walsh away. 

It really disrupted the Carlton clearance machine

And watch the umps ping us the first time we try such things!!

• Like 3

Carlton 5 games 27 days, us 4 games 29 days as posted by someone earlier.

Carlton has one extra day recovery for this game, so  maybe not too much in fatigue advantage.

McAdam was sick yesterday and played only one quarter so very unlikely.

Bowey is main chance. Hunter played yesterday. BBB, Schache and Hore were withdrawn from Casey game.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, buck_nekkid said:

And watch the umps ping us the first time we try such things!!

Yep they would have had a whine to the Umps and will be protected this week. But watch what they do to Clarry and Tracc

• Like 2

9 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

I'm on record saying in an ideal world I'd refresh the squad with a number of changes, but given the available options are Laurie, Hore, maybe Bowey, maybe Schache if not injured, maybe BBB, maybe Hunter after playing half a VFL game (and not well) I don't expect to see much change.

I'm far from a Billings fan, but Windsor is right on the limit at about 78% game time and we're seeing a much better Ed Langdon this year limiting him to about 90% rather than pushing him to close to full games. And I'm liking a look at Ed at half forward every now and then for a change.

Nibbler can fill in, but he's so vital for the way he stretches the ground end to end from half forward. So there's 30% or so game time for a 3rd winger and in that role Billings is at least competent in getting to the right spots. As frustrating as he is and also knowing he's a likely sub out candidate most weeks he still fits the mold of a forward/wing hybrid player which we really need. 

Yep, i reckon Billings is close and would have snagged at least two of those goals had he kicked straight.