Leadership Group 2017

Demon3564

Don't like co-captains at all. Not a fan of this decision.

With Viney being 22 it's not necessary either. Jones is hardly on his last legs

Viney will lead by example anyway. He needs no title

Rather than load him up with extra responsibilities, I'd rather he be given the time to work on some deficiencies in his game. He's far from the finished article

• Like 1

1 hour ago, waynewussell said:

No one has mentioned that this may be an indication that Goodwin feels Jones is not an automatic selection throughout 2017... (not my position, just sayin'). That's the only solid logic I can offer for the decision!

I don't think logic has a place in the decision making process here.

Everyone seems to be forgetting the fact that the club engages Leading Teams to deliver their program which to my understanding, is a process whereby the players input and feedback ultimately select the Captain/s and LG.

This outcome, whilst obviously rubber stamped by Goody and the board, has been borne from the direction of 44 players over the pre-season.

The first thing Neeld did when he arrived at the club was to shitcan the LEading Teams program that Bails implemented and look how that turned out!

Rejoice!

3 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Everyone seems to be forgetting the fact that the club engages Leading Teams to deliver their program which to my understanding, is a process whereby the players input and feedback ultimately select the Captain/s and LG.

This outcome, whilst obviously rubber stamped by Goody and the board, has been borne from the direction of 44 players over the pre-season.

The first thing Neeld did when he arrived at the club was to shitcan the LEading Teams program that Bails implemented and look how that turned out!

Rejoice!

What a [censored]!  I'll never forget that idiots first address to the players.  pharkin numnut.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, McQueen said:

Rejoice!

where did you see that this year lt will run a program for the players to ultimately select the captain and lg?

just because that may have been done before doesn't mean that is how goody will run it

unless you have inside info?

The coaches etc would have known some time ago they wanted co-captains and I'd be mighty surprised if they didn't tell Jonesy of the idea prior to 'a few days ago'.  To not do so would be disrespectful.

So, maybe the surprise Jones expressed was Viney as co-captain whereas he may have been expecting Lewis.

Viney will be 23 at the start of the season so he is not 'that' young'.  Two years as co-cap and he will be 25 when he takes over.  The transition is a bit like Roos to Goodwin.     

The leadership improvement needed in Jack (by his own admission) is his reading the play and decision making on field so I would have preferred another year to learn those things from the likes of Lewis. 

In all other areas he appears ready.  My favourite example is the way Viney stuck up for Watts when Rance smashed his face into the turf.  That sort of leadership earns respect, especially from teammates:  Give no quarter, take no prisoners!

Just have to go with it and trust the club.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

The coaches etc would have known some time ago they wanted co-captains and I'd be mighty surprised if they didn't tell Jonesy of the idea prior to 'a few days ago'.  To not do so would be disrespectful.

So, maybe the surprise Jones expressed was Viney as co-captain whereas he may have been expecting Lewis.

Maybe just accept that it is as they say.  

Todd Viney on SEN this afternoon said he found out yesterday.

Edited by ProDee
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

where did you see that this year lt will run a program for the players to ultimately select the captain and lg?

just because that may have been done before doesn't mean that is how goody will run it

unless you have inside info?

Basing it on assumption that there's been no change. I did read somewhere that LT was still facilitating.

I will say this on the decision. Viney is a dominant personality while Jones is a little reserved. He has developed as a leader but isn't someone who is naturally one.

Viney will have to be mindful of how he approaches his captaincy and ensuring he doesn't start diminishing Jones' role. He is an all or nothing type of person and will have to be aware of how he conducts himself.

I have no problem with the decision. It's not what I would have done but the club made an informed decision based on what the know, which is far more than we ever will.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, beelzebub said:

Not a fan of Co Captains

Agreed Don't like co captaincy at all.

It dilutes the position and favourites could emerge.

I know it is a buzz concept like Team Members in a work place

I just find it unnecessary

Make Viney the VC and he will learn from the Captain...

it's just extra complications otherwise...

• Like 1

I agree that it seems unnecessary. Ive always preferred one captain. But I think we gotta trust Goody on this. Leading teams aside I doubt it would have happened without his blessing. He's in charge and  lets hope he's reading the tea leaves the right way! Could be he just doesn't want too much dependency on Jones re leadership. Im sure Jones  commands enormous respect in the group and that isnt going to change. 

Personally Im still a little burned after the glorious success of our last co captains Grimes and Trengove......but Im fairly confident that we are out of those dark... dark days. ( insert prayer here) ..... and repeat here (....) fark me when is this season starting! 

3 hours ago, billy2803 said:

Reading a bit in to it there, Clint.  Take a look at Goodwin's presser, explains a lot, and I'm sure this was how he approached it with NJ.

It was unexpected, but that doesn't = poorly handled.

I agree Chunk doesn't sound to happy & l don't blame him

• Like 1

Staggers me when people make such strong judgments about the merits of decisions like this. The reality is we have absolutely no idea about the off-field attributes of the players that make them suitable or not for leadership positions.

On-field leadership is of course important, but we don't know the majority of what goes on behind closed doors, and only get a glimpse into what the players are like as people and as leaders.

If Goodwin and the other coaches think Viney is ready, how on earth could we possibly argue from our positions far removed from the inner sanctum of the club?

• Like 11

The first real test for this co captaincy will be if we're challenged again by the saints again in a quarter run on at etihad in Rd 1,  or when we're trying to scrap out a dirty win against a Carlton or an Essendon. To be honest I think mr Lewis will be more of a general in the trenches in these moments.

It was these games that cost us finals last year, the leadership group have some stepping up to do . 

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Members' Wing said:

Staggers me when people make such strong judgments about the merits of decisions like this. The reality is we have absolutely no idea about the off-field attributes of the players that make them suitable or not for leadership positions.

On-field leadership is of course important, but we don't know the majority of what goes on behind closed doors, and only get a glimpse into what the players are like as people and as leaders.

If Goodwin and the other coaches think Viney is ready, how on earth could we possibly argue from our positions far removed from the inner sanctum of the club?

My view has nothing to do withViney. I just dont like ( conceptually) the idea of co captains. Id rather one

• Like 6

I have to admit going into this year I saw Jones as captain, with Jack being VC and I would've been very happy with that. That they're co-captains doesn't really faze me but that Jones was surprised by it doesn't sit particularly well with me. I feel like it should have been a consultation with him in advance to get him thinking about the possibility of it and then they make the decision. He's been such a great servant for us I just feel it was a little disrespectful to him.

That said you couldn't pick two guys who are more passionate about the success of the club and I'm sure they will work very well together as co-captains. Jack has already proven himself to be a very important player for us going into the future and I doubt anyone is surprised he will be captaining the club. I see it very much as a succession plan to have Jack as sole captain by about 2019, I only wonder whether it was necessary to actually have him as a co-captain.

None the less, congratulations to Jack. I can't wait to see him smash more players into the ground with his tackling. 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Clint Bizkit said:

Jones and Viney Co-Captains, I didn't see that coming.

CB a are you really Mark Neeld?

6 hours ago, TeamPlayedFine39 said:

Father / Son Captains, while not unheard of, must be pretty rare...

Trying to think of some. Barassi Snr wasn't I don't think. 

6 hours ago, billy2803 said:

Disgraceful decision.  Viney is too young and surfs too much for him to be co-captain.

In the context of Jones v Viney, surfing too much probably isn't the first factor that would spring to my mind ?

Maybe they can plot things waiting on a break?

Doesnt really bother me. Jones was highly capable still doing it alone but it's not like we put a dud player beside him. But if you want to players walking out there side by side Id have Jones and Viney in a heartbeat. 

But yeah I hope Jones was consulted first. 

But it's a nice story to see a son captain his club when his father has done it to. 

I reckon Todd Viney has a definate conflict of interest here and needs to step aside! Just sayin! IMO

Chunk Jones a standout leader! 

Edited by picket fence

Just now, picket fence said:

Todd Viney has a definate conflict of interest here and needs to step aside! Just sayin! IMO

Choo Choo was robbed picket!

Why isn't anybody outraged !!!