Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The No T$ No B$ Thread

Redleg

For all those Demonlanders who haven't posted on the T S thread, please feel free to post on this one, as long as you don't mention anything about you know who. If you have posted on the TS thread, please ban yourself from this one. If you can't think of anything to say, just say hello, as I am sure some of us would even be happy to read greetings rather than TS speculation for the next 2 months

• Like 2

Really need to mow my back lawn, it really is looking untidy.

Great initiative Redleg! I read the 'you know who' thread, but conscientiously avoid posting because I know full well that I wouldn't be able to match most of the BS that goes on over there.

And in selection news - Melbourne have cut a swathe through last weekend's team which was pumped by the Bulldogs at Etihad. The Dees have made wholesale changes for this weekend's traditional bye.

G'day Redleg, going Sunday??

Scoop Junior wants to and if Mrs. Redleg has no objections I will be there. You can tell who runs my home. Will probably bring KC from Casey if I come and then also WJ will most likely tag along.

Great initiative Redleg! I read the 'you know who' thread, but conscientiously avoid posting because I know full well that I wouldn't be able to match most of the BS that goes on over there.

I took the view that as I actually know nothing about what is going on with the situation, I wouldn't be able to add anything meaningful.

tom-scully.jpg

Do you think a photo would come within the definition of the word "mention"?

men·tion (mnshn)

tr.v. men·tioned, men·tion·ing, men·tions

To refer to, especially incidentally. See Synonyms at refer.

n.

a. The act of referring to something briefly or casually.

b. An incidental reference or allusion.

2. Honorable mention.

Idiom:

not to mention

In addition to; as well as.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[From Middle English mencioun, reference, from Old French, from Latin menti, mentin-; see men-1 in Indo-European roots.]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mention·a·ble adj.

The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fourth Edition copyright ©2000 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Updated in 2009. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company. All rights reserved.

mention [ˈmɛnʃən]

vb (tr)

1. to refer to or speak about briefly or incidentally

2. to acknowledge or honour

not to mention (something) to say nothing of (something too obvious to mention)

n

1. a recognition or acknowledgment

2. a slight reference or allusion he only got a mention in the article the author makes no mention of that

3. the act of mentioning

4. (Linguistics) Philosophy logic linguistics the occurrence (of an expression) in such a context that it is itself referred to rather than performing its own linguistic function. In ``Fido'' names Fido, the word Fido is first mentioned and then used to refer to the dog Compare use [18] See also formal mode

[via Old French from Latin mentiō a calling to mind, naming, from mēns mind]

mentionable adj

mentioner n

Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003

mention

oojah, ooja-ka-piv, oojiboo - An oojah or ooja-ka-piv or oojiboo is "a thing whose name one forgets, does not know, or prefers not to mention."

apophasis - Mentioning a subject by saying one is not going to mention it.

infandous - Describing something too horrible to mention.

mention - Its etymological notion is "reminding," from Latin mentio, "remembrance."

Farlex Trivia Dictionary. © 2011 Farlex, Inc. All rights reserved.

ThesaurusLegend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms

Noun 1. mention - a remark that calls attention to something or someone; "she made frequent mention of her promotion"; "there was no mention of it"; "the speaker made several references to his wife"

reference

comment, remark, input - a statement that expresses a personal opinion or belief or adds information; "from time to time she contributed a personal comment on his account"

allusion - passing reference or indirect mention

retrospection - reference to things past; "the story begins with no introductory retrospections"

name-dropping - the practice of casually mentioning important people in order to impress your listener; "the hard thing about name-dropping is to avoid being too obvious about it"

2. mention - a short note recognizing a source of information or of a quoted passage; "the student's essay failed to list several important citations"; "the acknowledgments are usually printed at the front of a book"; "the article includes mention of similar clinical cases"

cite, quotation, reference, acknowledgment, citation, credit

annotation, notation, note - a comment or instruction (usually added); "his notes were appended at the end of the article"; "he added a short notation to the address on the envelope"

photo credit - a note acknowledging the source of a published photograph

cross-index, cross-reference - a reference at one place in a work to information at another place in the same work

3. mention - an official recognition of merit; "although he didn't win the prize he did get special mention"

honorable mention

accolade, honor, laurels, honour, award - a tangible symbol signifying approval or distinction; "an award for bravery"

Verb 1. mention - make reference to; "His name was mentioned in connection with the invention"

cite, refer, advert, name, bring up

have in mind, think of, mean - intend to refer to; "I'm thinking of good food when I talk about France"; "Yes, I meant you when I complained about people who gossip!"

commend, remember - mention as by way of greeting or to indicate friendship; "Remember me to your wife"

speak of the devil - mention someone's name who just then appears

remember - mention favorably, as in prayer; "remember me in your prayers"

quote, cite - refer to for illustration or proof; "He said he could quote several instances of this behavior"

touch on - refer to or discuss briefly

invoke, appeal - cite as an authority; resort to; "He invoked the law that would save him"; "I appealed to the law of 1900"; "She invoked an ancient law"

namedrop - refer to people that one assumes one's interlocutors admire in order to try to impress them

bring up, raise - put forward for consideration or discussion; "raise the question of promotions"; "bring up an unpleasant topic"

drag up, dredge up - mention something unpleasant from the past; "Drag up old stories"

cross-refer - refer from one entry to another, as in catalogues, books, and lists

2. mention - make mention of; "She observed that his presentation took up too much time"; "They noted that it was a fine day to go sailing"

note, remark, observe

say, state, tell - express in words; "He said that he wanted to marry her"; "tell me what is bothering you"; "state your opinion"; "state your name"

comment, point out, remark, notice - make or write a comment on; "he commented the paper of his colleague"

3. mention - commend; "he was cited for his outstanding achievements"

cite

acknowledge, notice - express recognition of the presence or existence of, or acquaintance with; "He never acknowledges his colleagues when they run into him in the hallway"; "She acknowledged his complement with a smile"; "it is important to acknowledge the work of others in one's own writing"

Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2008 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.

mention

verb

refer to, point out, acknowledge, bring up, state, report, reveal, declare, cite, communicate, disclose, intimate, tell of, recount, hint at, impart, allude to, divulge, broach, call attention to, make known, touch upon, adduce, speak about or of She did not mention her mother's absence.

noun

1. (often with of) reference to, announcement, observation, indication, remark on, notification, allusion to The statement made no mention of government casualties.

2. acknowledgment, recognition, tribute, citation, honourable mention, namecheck Two of the losers deserve special mention.

don't mention it not at all, any time, my pleasure 'Thank you very much.' 'Don't mention it.'

not to mention to say nothing of, besides, not counting, as well as It was both deliberate and malicious, not to mention sick.

Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002

Translations

Select a language: Afrikaans / Afrikaans

Arabic / العربية

Bulgarian / Български

Chinese Simplified / 中文简体

Chinese Traditional / 中文繁體

Croatian / Hrvatski

Czech / Česky

Danish / Dansk

Dutch / Nederlands

Estonian / eesti keel

Farsi / فارسی

Finnish / Suomi

French / Français

German / Deutsch

Greek / Ελληνική

Hebrew / עִבְרִית

Hindi / हिन्दी

Hungarian / magyar

Icelandic / íslenska

Indonesian / Indonesia

Italian / Italiano

Japanese / 日本語

Korean / 한국어

Latvian / Latviešu

Lithuanian / Lietuvių

Malay / Bahasa Melayu

Norwegian / Norsk

Polish / Polski

Portuguese / Português

Romanian / Română

Russian / Русский

Serbian / српски

Slovak / slovenčina

Slovenian / slovenski

Spanish / Español

Swedish / Svenska

Thai / ภาษาไทย

Turkish / Türkçe

Ukrainian / українська

Urdu / اردو

Vietnamese / Tiếng Việt -----------------------

mention [ˈmenʃən]

A. N

1. → mención f

the mere mention of his name exasperates me → la sola mención de su nombre me saca de quicio

at the mention of food, she looked up → al oír que se mencionaba comida, levantó la vista

it got a mention in the news → lo mencionaron en las noticias

to make mention of sth/sb → mencionar algo/a algn, hacer mención de algo/algn

there was no mention of any surcharge → no se mencionó ningún recargo adicional → no se hizo mención de ningún recargo adicional

see also honourable

2. (Mil) → citación f

B. VT → mencionar

I will mention it to him → se lo mencionaré, se lo diré

he mentioned to me that you were coming → me mencionó or comentó que venías

I've never heard him mention his father → nunca le he oído mencionar or mentar a su padre

too numerous to mention → demasiado numerosos para mencionar

he has been mentioned as a potential candidate → se ha hecho alusión a él or se le ha aludido como posible candidato

don't mention it to anyone → no se lo digas a nadie

don't mention it! (in reply to thanks) → ¡de nada!, ¡no hay de qué!

I need hardly mention that → ni que decir tiene que ..., no es necesario decir que ...

just mention my name → basta con decir mi nombre

he didn't mention any names → no dijo or dio los nombres

they make so much mess, not to mention the noise → lo dejan todo patas arriba, y no digamos ya el ruido que arman

to mention sb in one's will → dejar algo a algn en el testamento, legar algo a algn

it's worth mentioning that → merece la pena mencionar que ...

see also dispatch A2

Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005

mention [ˈmɛnʃən]

n → mention f

to make no mention of sth → ne faire aucune mention de qch

vt

(= allude to) → mentionner

Several times he mentioned how much it cost → À plusieurs reprises, il a mentionné combien cela coûtait.

to mention (that) → mentionner que

She mentioned that it was her husband's birthday → Elle mentionna que c'était l'anniversaire de son mari.

I need hardly mention that → Je n'ai nul besoin de mentionner que ...

BUT Est-il besoin de rappeler que ... ?.

not to mention (= as well as) (+ noun) → sans parler de; (+ adj) → pour ne pas dire

to be mentioned → être mentionné(e)

Your name was mentioned → Votre nom a été mentionné.

(response to thanks) don't mention it! → je vous en prie!, il n'y a pas de quoi!

thank you! - don't mention it! → merci! - il n'y a pas de quoi!

to be mentioned in sb's will (= be left something) → être mentionné(e) dans le testament de qn, figurer dans le testament de qn

Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005

mention

n → Erwähnung f; to get or receive a mention → erwähnt werden; he received a mention for bravery → er erhielt eine Auszeichnung or Belobigung für seine Tapferkeit; to give somebody/something a mention → jdn/etw erwähnen; there is a/no mention of it → es wird erwähnt/nicht erwähnt; I can’t find any mention of his name → ich kann seinen Namen nirgendwo finden; his contribution deserves special mention → sein Beitrag verdient es, besonders hervorgehoben zu werden; mention should also be made of … → … sollte Erwähnung finden (form); it’s hardly worth a mention → es ist kaum erwähnenswert, es lohnt sich kaum, das zu erwähnen; at the mention of his name/the police … → als sein Name/das Wort Polizei fiel or erwähnt wurde …

vt → erwähnen (to sb jdm gegenüber); he was mentioned in several dispatches → er wurde mehrfach lobend erwähnt; not to mention … → nicht zu vergessen …, geschweige denn …; France and Spain, not to mention Holland → Frankreich und Spanien, von Holland ganz zu schweigen or ganz abgesehen von Holland; too numerous to mention → zu zahlreich, um sie einzeln erwähnen zu können; don’t mention it! → (das ist doch) nicht der Rede wert!, (bitte,) gern geschehen!; if I may mention it → wenn ich das einmal sagen darf; it hardly needs mentioning that we’re very grateful → es versteht sich wohl von selbst, dass wir sehr dankbar sind; to mention somebody in one’s will → jdn in seinem Testament berücksichtigen; mention me to your parents! → empfehlen Sie mich Ihren Eltern! (form), → viele Grüße an Ihre Eltern!

Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007

mention [ˈmɛnʃ/ən]

1. n → menzione f, accenno

it's hardly worth a mention → non è neanche il caso di parlarne

2. vt (gen) → accennare a; (name, person) → fare il nome di, menzionare

I mentioned it to him → glielo ho accennato

just mention my name → basta che tu faccia il mio nome

all those people, too numerous to mention, who ... → tutti coloro che qui sarebbe troppo lungo elencare, i quali...

I need hardly mention that ... → inutile dire che...

not to mention, without mentioning → per non parlare di, senza contare

don't mention it! → non c'è di che!, prego!

Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995

mention

v mention [ˈmenʃən]

1 to speak of or refer to He mentioned the plan. noem, verwys na يَذكُر говоря за hovořit (o, k) nævne; omtale anführen αναφέρω, μνημονεύω mencionar, decir, hablar de nimetama ذکر کردن mainita parler de לְהַזכִּיר उल्लेख करना spomenuti említ, idéz menyebutkan minnast á, nefna menzionare 述べる 언급하다 (pa)minėti, nurodyti []minēt menyebut vermelden nevne, omtale, si wspominać, wzmiankować mencionar a vorbi despre говорить, ссылаться hovoriť (o) navesti pomenuti nämna กล่าวถึง söz etmek, bahsetmek 說起 згадувати; посилатися на اشارةً ذکر کرنا đề cập 说起

2 to remark or say usually briefly or indirectly She mentioned (that) she might be leaving. noem, opmerk يُشيرُ إلى споменавам zmínit se nævne; sige erwähnen αναφέρω mencionar mainima ذکر کردن mainita mentionner לְצַייֵן उल्लेख napomenuti (meg)említ mengatakan minnast á, nefna menzionare 言う 간단히(간접적으로) 말하다 pasakyti, užsiminti ierunāties; minēt mengatakan gewag maken van nevne, antyde wspominać, wzmiankować mencionar a menţiona, a pomeni упоминать zmieniť sa omeniti pomenuti nämna เอ่ยถึง ... diye söylemek 提及 згадувати ذکر کرنا lưu ý 提及

n

(often withof) a (usually brief) remark (about) No mention was made of this matter. melding ذِكْر، إشارَه، تَنْويه споменаване zmínka omtale die Erwähnung αναφορά, μνεία mención, alusión mainimine تذکر huomautus mention אִזכּוּר उल्लेख, चर्चा napomena (meg)említés komentar e-ð sem minnst er á accenno 言及 언급, 진술 pastaba, užsiminimas pieminēšana komentar gewag (flyktig) omtale wzmianka referência menţiune упоминание zmienka omemba pomen omnämnande การกล่าวถึง bahsetme, değinme 提到 згадування ذکر sự đề cập 提到

not to mention

used to emphasize something important or to excuse oneself for mentioning something relatively unimportant He is rich and clever, not to mention handsome. om nie eens te praat van ناهيكَ عن، فَضلا عن أنَّ освен това nemluvě o for ikke at tale om ganz zu schweigen von άσε πια, για να μην αναφέρω por no hablar de, sin contar rääkimata سوای از puhumattakaan sans compter שֶׁלֹא לְהַזכִּיר a da i ne spomenemo nem is említve... dan lagi að ónefndu, fyrir utan (per non parlare di) 言うまでもなく ...은 말할 것도 없고 jau nekalbant apie nemaz nerunājot par dan lagi om nog maar niet te spreken van for ikke å nevne/snakke om nie mówiąc o sem falar em ca să nu mai vorbim de не говоря уже о nehovoriac o da ne omenimo da ne pominjem för att inte tala om ไม่ต้องพูดถึง ayrıca, bir de 更不必說 не кажучи вже про کسی اہم یا بنیادی بات کی طرف اشارہ کہ اس کا تو ذکر ہی کیا chưa kể 更不必说

Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2010 K Dictionaries Ltd.

tom-scully.jpg

If only there was an option to ban someone from a thread, I would ban you quicker than a Tom Scully handpass.

Scoop Junior wants to and if Mrs. Redleg has no objections I will be there. You can tell who runs my home. Will probably bring KC from Casey if I come and then also WJ will most likely tag along.

In that case, I think I will make my first appearance at Casey for 2011. See you there Fan and Redleg.

For all those Demonlanders who haven't posted on the Tom Scully thread, please feel free to post on this one, as long as you don't mention anything about you know who. If you have posted on the TS thread, please ban yourself from this one. If you can't think of anything to say, just say hello, as I am sure some of us would even be happy to read greetings rather than TS speculation for the next 2 months

Sensational post.

Anyone seen Transformers - Darkside of the Moon?

Heard it's a great movie.

anyone know how to build a timber bar for my spare garage so i can sit there drink beer and watch tv?

I had to take out my internal stairs to give me more living space upstairs and I'm using the stairs as my downstairs bar. See if you can find an 'L' shaped already removed timber staircase and chuck it on a base of brinks and you've got yourself an instant bar! I'm having a crack at a pizza oven now. In Queensland we can eat outside during winter.

Couple of slow learners about!

Nice refreshing initiative.