CHANGES: Rd 04 vs Port Adelaide

Demonland

If Ben Brown doesnt make the protocol cut off, I'd be bringing in Mitch Brown!

I wouldn't be rushing in Lever to play against a bottom 4 team (chuckles intensify).

Hunt has to be the next man out. Hopefully its a dry night on thursday and he can find his form from last year. But he is struggling abit this year.

12 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

Can’t remember which qtr but TMac was having a set shot city end, close to the boundary around the 50 metre arc. Oliver was standing by himself for calling for the ball. TMac ignored him, went back had the shot and missed. I’m all for forwards backing themselves in but Oliver was directly in front probably 35-40 metres out. What happened to team first? 

To be fair Tom did nail one from practically the same spot just before it, and Tom’s field kicking has let him down in the past. I’d (strangely) be backing him from that spot over his ability to hit the pass. (Also Clarry is an awful set shot)

That all said, I can’t imagine us going in with all three tall forwards and it’s a performance based situation. There can be no argument that Tom’s output has him at the bottom of the pecking order. I’ll be absolutely filthy if Sam gets dropped. 

TMac for BBB (if permitted to play), Tommo for Lever

Trac won’t stop until he physically can’t get out there, wait for a weaker team to give him an extended spell. 

Chandler for Bedford as the sub. Give Bedford some match practice, Chandler deserves a chance (even if it’s medisub). 

Edited by Pates

Just now, Doug Reemer said:

I'd be bringing in Mitch Brown!

For Tmac, send a msg now  that he needs to lift

• Like 2

I get that Tmac will probably go out but let's not be too harsh on the bloke that helped win us a flag.

He turned his form around once and may again.

As happy as I am about Weid it's still only one game this far. I hope he continues and Tmac is a decent spare.

• Like 5

TMac form is down and has been for a while

But the Weid has played 1 good game

TMac has some runs on the board (though not recent). We might be jumping the gun a little here 

BB might not be sharp after a week in iso so I think Goody will go with TMac and the Weid again on thursday.

If the Weid performs again then TMac gets dropped for the GWS game replaced by BB.

There's no guarantee the Weid will perform though. 1 good game isn't enough to displace TMac yet

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

13 hours ago, binman said:

You might be right Bing.

Brown is one of the players that cones straight back in when fit (Lever and petty are the only others that are currently not in the team).

So a tall has to come out - and weed made a very strong case it shouldn't be him. 

And tmac didn't have a good game, on the back of a couple of just ok games.

But it really depends on how well he has been playing his role - in particular his gut running up and down the ground, providing a hit up target, blocking and bringing the ball to ground.

On the final one, he failed to do so a few times whe out marked inside our 50.

But the others are harder to assess.

Does weed have the tank, and strength in one on one contests, to play tmac's role? 

I doubt it, so expect tmac to keep his spot. 

Tomo will definitely make way for Lever when he comes back.

Christian Salem says hi.

I agree with you when you argue that TMac can (and does) play a role in the side. The problem is he's just not playing it well right now.

If Brown is 100% unquestionably ready to go, IMO TMac has to make way as we have to reward Weideman's performance at AFL level after getting his chance on the back of hard work and persistence (listen to Goodwin and all the players talk about how much they valued his decision to sign a new contract, buckle down and work hard over summer to earn another chance - they cannot, and IMO will not, drop Weid after a 4-goal game on return).

TMac's saving grace will be, I suspect, if Brown isn't ready to play because he hasn't been able to properly train for a week. They may decide not to risk it and to leave Brown out another week. That would then give TMac another chance to stake his claim, and would ask Weid to go again and show it wasn't a fluke.

• Like 3

We won’t know if Weideman can replace TMac until we play Weideman in his position 

Weideman played a traditional FF role on the weekend in replacing BB. Tmac plays a high forward role and does a power of work with his leading patterns which actually frees the forwardline up and gives BB and Fritta space to lead into. 
I am unconvinced that Weideman has the tank to play that very important role, however I totally agree that we need to let him try because TMac is not in good form and other than his aerobic capacity isn’t giving us much in terms of marking or goal kicking. 

• Like 5

45 minutes ago, Doug Reemer said:

I wouldn't be rushing in Lever to play against a bottom 4 team (chuckles intensify).

Hunt has to be the next man out. Hopefully its a dry night on thursday and he can find his form from last year. But he is struggling abit this year.

Brown should come out of isolation to take on the Power at the Adelaide Oval, but will not have trained with the team all week. Gee !!!  I personally would play BB @ FF and The Weed @ CHF and move Mc D to CHB.. But to be honest Goody will be reluctant to change a winning formulae and BB may just fall short of selection. I would bring in Lever @ the expense of Hunt though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

We won’t know if Weideman can replace TMac until we play Weideman in his position 

Weideman played a traditional FF role on the weekend in replacing BB. Tmac plays a high forward role and does a power of work with his leading patterns which actually frees the forwardline up and gives BB and Fritta space to lead into. 
I am unconvinced that Weideman has the tank to play that very important role, however I totally agree that we need to let him try because TMac is not in good form and other than his aerobic capacity isn’t giving us much in terms of marking or goal kicking. 

That is a very fair point. Incredibly, I would almost say that if we were to move forward with a Weid/BBB combo I could actually see Brown moving into the high forward role. His fitness levels are the best he’s seen for years and he was actually pushing quite high up the ground during the finals series last year. 

Sam’s fitness and tank is definitely something he needs to work on, or at least be tested in. Perhaps simply rotating them between the two roles will be the way to find out if he’s capable of playing the more athletic forward role. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Doug Reemer said:

Just curious to know if you watched the game against Sandringham where Brown got his 7 goals ?

If you did I'm a bit surprised you are making that call. 

I'm not having a crack at Mitch Brown here and if he consistently plays well week after week he may get a shot,. Unfortunately this weekend he got belted early behind the pay and really played no further role after that.

His 7 goals against Sandy was against sub AFL standard opposition, the kid he was playing on most of the game was a first year recruit who may make it longer term but is still very raw, a few of his goals were handed to him on a platter. In short it was a decent game but if you actually watched it I don't think you'd automatically jump to the conclusion that it translates to AFL level. I actually thought JVR showed more despite the fact he only scored the 3 goals. Disappointing that he didn't play on the weekend as I was keen to see him again.

Hunt is safe for the time being as the Port forward line is not that tall so if someone comes out for Lever this week I think it has to be Tomlinson who hasn't been terrible but lacks speed, agility and as someone else pointed out seems to be struggling to defend in the air at the moment. Joel Smith on the other hand who would be the other one to possibly make way for Lever has the edge on Tomlinson atm (speed, agility, aerial spoils)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doug Reemer said:

Mitch Brown TKO vs Bombers in a off the ball incident which I would hope is thoroughly investigated

• Like 1
  • Vomit 1

I think training condition needs to be taken into account with Ben Brown.

All good and well to say that he can just jump on a treadmill, but a main training session with high intensity work usually goes for at least 2 hours? It's then the weights, captains run etc that also adds us.

I think it's a risk in itself but then watching Tom McDonald who was a clear worst on ground Friday night makes me think that BB could not play any worse then what tmac did if they did decide to play him.

• Thinking 1

I love how people want 5 or 6 changes when we don't win by 100 points every week. Especially when everyone knows Goody likes minimal unforced changes. 

Expecting it will be Lever and BBB in and Weid/TMac plus Tommo/Smith out.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

He's on his last year of a circa $700k contract. Not quite peanuts

In Sept last year he signed a two year extension to 2024.  Presumably to spread his 2022 contract $ into 2023 and in return he gets a longer contract.  If nothing else he will be good depth for the next few years.

It was part of the selfless attitude of our players, incl Lever and Gawn that enabled/will enable the signing of Salem, Petracca, Jackson, Oliver etc.

• Like 2

I was of the strong belief that the Weid would not stand up on Friday night, so I need to put my hand up on that.

Now he probably has to get another week and if Brown comes back, then TMAC would need to be made as Sub. 

1 hour ago, FarNorthernD said:

It will be interesting to see how Port back up after that after-the-siren showdown loss. It has to emotionally take it out of them.

I think one of two things will happen.

1. They come out breathing fire and put on extreme pressure working for their first win, or

2. It is the final straw and they collapse in a heap and we win by 50-60.

Obviously hoping for the latter.

• Like 1

Reading this thread, and it seems that everyone must believe that Brayshaw should continue to play as a defender instead of returning to the wing. If Lever is ready, why doesn't he come in for Brayshaw, with Brayshaw moving back to the wing? That would mean our seven defenders would be Lever, May, Tomlinson, Bowey, Rivers, Hunt and Smith. 

I realise Brayshaw just played an outstanding game at half-back; but it's only four games ago that he was equally outstanding on the wing. Given we train our players for specific roles, I would have thought the intention would be for Brayshaw to return to the wing as soon as possible.

Brayshaw returning to the wing leaves a decision to be made about Jordon, who I think has played well so far this year. Nevertheless, either Jordon becomes the sub or he takes Sparrow's spot in the mid-field.

As to B Brown, if he's ready he must play and Weideman should be given another opportunity. It wasn't just Weideman's 7 scoring shots. He also provided a great marking target. Unfortunately, Tom McDonald is wearing iron gloves, again.

Hunt and Smith are playing against each other for Salem's spot when he's ready to return.

So, assuming everyone who played against Essendon is available, I would pick B Brown and Lever in place of McDonald and either Jordon or Sparrow.  

• Like 3
  • Thinking 1

28 minutes ago, adonski said:

Lever confirmed in

Petty playing VFL

Hibberd 2 weeks away

Also, he said one of the talls will miss.

Not so sure that Brown will be selected after a week absence from the club @ the 3.00 min mark.  He rejoins the group on Thursday (which is after teams are announced).

As an aside, it is good they now have some mics in the audience to hear the questions (the audio quality could be better).

Edited by Lucifers Hero

Watching from an armchair in another state probably dis-entitles me to contribute in an informed way. I have no idea what goes on off the ball except for Langers who pops up at either end of the field faster than the ball. However what is obvious is we are not playing at a level the coaches will think is satisfactory (due to our makeshift backline) and our ugly wins in the past two weeks cant continue if we really want to contend. Tmac is down but what is he being asked to do? I doubt we need his height down back. Lever in will steady May who is struggling without him. 

Port will be dangerous and GWS the following week a handful.  It will be a tough couple of weeks for the selectors.