Max Gawn.... A giant of a gentleman and bloody good bloke.

2 minutes ago, Demonsterative said:

A mark of a true champion is when opposition supporters can’t find something to hate about a player. 

That’s our man Max. Universally loved  

Insightful perspective. 

It's true.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

It's absolutely amazing that the injury prone kid caught smoking on the way to training has developed not only into a wonderful young man, but a premiership captain, possibly the best ruckman in the history of the game and arguably the best captain and player the MFC has ever produced. 

• Like 16
  • Clap 2

I never thought I'd see a better Melbourne player than Robbie Flower, and I probably still haven't, but Max is by far the most influential - on and off field. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

Over the course of watching and supporting a lot of football in my life I had the privilege to see some greats of the game.

Max Gawn is truly one of the very best I've ever seen.

Sure I'm a bias Melbourne supporter but even non believers must find it hard to argue otherwise.

He has year after year,  been heralded as one of the best players in the AFL over the last decade. 

And rightly so. He has turned the tide of many a game and was the first captain of the club for half a century to help win us a flag.

It's a shame ruckmen don't  win Brownlows as much anymore. ( I'm perplexed why he hasn't). After all one  could rote statistic after statistic about his on field prowess.

But I wish there was another medal. One that encapsulates who Max really is.

A damn fine human being and gentleman of gentlemen.

Last week we saw Max get angry over an incident that I don't really know anything about. ( I don't know because it doesn't really matter).

It doesn't matter because it rarely happens. Max Gawn may show signs of frustration and anger at times but it's not much for an AFL player. And more often than not when it does occur, it seems justified.

But that's because Max Gawn has high standards. ( To my knowledge he's never been reported).

Standards that go beyond just being a simple AFL player. He is a captain. And he takes this role seriously. Being captain is about leadership.

But for Max leadership isn't something that happens for a couple of hours each week on a patch of grass. It's much ,much more.

It's about standing up this week about homophobic slurs in the game. It's about taking in a teammate when he may be doing it tough. It's about standing by your mate when they have had to retire from the game.

It's acknowledgement of being beaten by a better opponent.

It's about visiting sick kids in hospital.

Being an advocate of mental health or simply  speaking  to a fan when he's probably really tired and just wants to get a coffee at a cafe in peace. Like his on field performance, I could keep going.

So thanks Max for showing us what a true captain of a club should be. On and OFF the field. 

I'm sure other Demonlanders stand with me in applause when I hereby award thee the unusually long but very aptly titled... "Captain of captains and gentleman of gentlemen and the best of blokes" medal.

👏.

Thank  you.

At my gym l talk to supporters of different clubs.They have nothing but praise  for Max .And say how lucky for having him.Both for his leadership , and personality and intelligence off the field.

We are lucky the club made the risky decision to re-sign him in hie early years when he was regularly injured.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, leave it to deever said:

Over the course of watching and supporting a lot of football in my life I had the privilege to see some greats of the game.

Sure I'm a bias Melbourne supporter but even non believers must find it hard to argue otherwise.

He has year after year,  been heralded as one of the best players in the AFL over the last decade. 

And rightly so. He has turned the tide of many a game and was the first captain of the club for half a century to help win us a flag.

It's a shame ruckmen don't  win Brownlows as much anymore. ( I'm perplexed why he hasn't). After all one  could rote statistic after statistic about his on field prowess.

Last week we saw Max get angry over an incident that I don't really know anything about. ( I don't know because it doesn't really matter).

It doesn't matter because it rarely happens. Max Gawn may show signs of frustration and anger at times but it's not much for an AFL player. And more often than not when it does occur, it seems justified.

But that's because Max Gawn has high standards. ( To my knowledge he's never been reported).

Standards that go beyond just being a simple AFL player. He is a captain. And he takes this role seriously. Being captain is about leadership.

But for Max leadership isn't something that happens for a couple of hours each week on a patch of grass. It's much ,much more.

It's about standing up this week about homophobic slurs in the game. It's about taking in a teammate when he may be doing it tough. It's about standing by your mate when they have had to retire from the game.

Being an advocate of mental health or simply  speaking  to a fan when he's probably really tired and just wants to get a coffee at a cafe in peace. Like his on field performance, I could keep going.

So thanks Max for showing us what a true captain of a club should be. On and OFF the field. 

I'm sure other Demonlanders stand with me in applause when I hereby award thee the unusually long but very aptly titled... "Captain of captains and gentleman of gentlemen and the best of blokes" medal.

👏.

Thank  you.

We all realise as Dee supporters that there are many more plaudits for Gawny than what your contained message defines about the man. What has been identified is spot-on! Praise for Gawn is mandatory across so many fields of human endeavour - he is neck and neck with No. 31 for his leadership, behaviours and public values (civics); a quality human being in all regards. Well stated, LitD.

• Like 3

I can’t wait to read his Autobiography post footy

He has grown so much, and i’m proud we have a club that helped him become the man he is today. 

I love Jimmy, but Max is a better player and certainly deserves a brownlow. He has been the best ruckman without any question for 8 years. Soon to have 7 AAs. Has any ruckman ever done this??

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, leave it to deever said:

👏.

Thank  you.

Beautifully put LitD. Max is unique in every positive way possible. I feel blessed he is captain of the 'team I love'. Upon retirement, the club should instigate a perpetual trophy to be awarded to a player that excels in a certain area.

There are so many areas that he has done with us, so it's hard to single one out. 

Any ideas, Demonlanders?

Edited by Palace Dees
  • Like 2
  • Clap 2

10 minutes ago, Palace Dees said:

Beautifully put LitD. Max is unique in every positive way possible. I feel blessed he is captain of the 'team I love'. Upon retirement, the club should instigate a perpetual trophy to be awarded to a player that excels in a certain area.

There are so many areas that he has done with us, so it's hard to single one out. 

Any ideas, Demonlanders?

I reckon some sort of award in the spirit of mateship or leadership would be a good place to start.

• Like 3

Always at the Casey games, as per last Friday night at Princes Park. And on Saturday arvo was there at Como Park to see Kyah Farris-White playing for St Bede’s in the Ammos. 

Leadership in action. 

• Like 6
  • Love 6

14 hours ago, Demonsterative said:

A mark of a true champion is when opposition supporters can’t find something to hate about a player. 

That’s our man Max. Universally loved  

You would think so, wouldn't you ?  And for the most part that is true - except for 1 moron last Thursday night.

I was sitting on level 2 in the MCC members right next to the fence to the outer. About 4 seats in on the other side of the fence was a bogan blue bagger, and all I heard all night was him screaming "you wouldn't know what a hard ball get was, Gawn", "you've never had had a hard ball in your life, Gawn", etc, etc.
6 AA's would suggest that he has probably had at least 1 hard ball get in his career - unlike the numpty with the mouth.
I'm embarrassed to admit it, but just before half time it all got too much for me and I called out "1995, [censored]", and was immediately tapped on the shoulder by a couple of Carltank supporters behind me and told to reign in my language.

Damn, for a club that STILL hasn't done anything for bloody near 30 years, they are arrogant so & so's.
And people wonder why I hate virtually every club other than the mighty Dees.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1
  • Angry 2

If he is AA this year then he must be captain aswell, certain people in the media suggesting Zach Merrett would be AA Captain right now are morons, maybe when he has done what max has done which is unlikely 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, brendan said:

If he is AA this year then he must be captain aswell, certain people in the media suggesting Zach Merrett would be AA Captain right now are morons, maybe when he has done what max has done which is unlikely 

People in the media simply want to blow smoke up the backsides of a long time dormant Essendon supporter base.

Not unlike they have done with Carlton over the last 12 months... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
19 hours ago, DubDee said:

I can’t wait to read his Autobiography post footy

He has grown so much, and i’m proud we have a club that helped him become the man he is today. 

I love Jimmy, but Max is a better player and certainly deserves a brownlow. He has been the best ruckman without any question for 8 years. Soon to have 7 AAs. Has any ruckman ever done this??

Did you read his premiership captain's diary book? It was terrible!

I do love max though. Ripping bloke.

Edited by wonnabeeri
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, wonnabeeri said:

Did you read his premiership captain's diary book? It was terrible!

I do love max though. Ripping bloke.

Lol...I did read it and would be of the view that no book written about MFC winning a premiership could be terrible, even if it was written with crayon, on ancient parchment and in Egyptian heiroglyphics it would still be a bloody good read! 

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
  • Clap 2

I regret to say that I am on record as saying the only good thing Max would ever to for the MFC was to puke on Tom Scully.

That was a long time ago.

Now i proudly boast that young George Gawn did swimming lessons with my granddaughter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Have noticed a few non Melbourne types are putting him ahead of Cox now (King and someone else I can't remember) he is running at 80% for goals outside 50m this season I think, makes me think of Neitz who could dob a 50 to turn the team on.

Not sure why the Brownlow doesn't feature more blokes like Gawn, fairest is in the Brownlow job description afterall, not cheating, dog kicking, throwers like Cripps. 

I always thought the difference between Australians and Americans was Hard but Fair, versus Win at all Costs, then we had the Chappell underarm ball and I've realized my sentiments are aspirational. Gawn (I guess he was born a Kiwi) seems 100% who the Brownlow was designed for.

• Like 5

His career mirrored the turn the club took into professionalism, elite performance, and sustained excellence.

His legacy is yet to be finalised but it will make quite a story if it ended today.

• Like 2
  • Love 2

Posted (edited)

I must be the only one with a negative story about Max.

Saw him and his wife one night, and asked for a selfie.

He looked like he was going to punch me!

So I asked again - very politely - and he got even angrier, started yelling and swearing and said he was going to call the cops. 

I actually felt threatened for my safety at that point, so I left his house.

Just a warning to others that he's not as approachable as he seems. 

Edited by Grapeviney
  • Haha 19

3 hours ago, Grapeviney said:

I must be the only one with a negative story about Max.

Saw him and his wife one night, and asked for a selfie.

He looked like he was going to punch me!

So I asked again - very politely - and he got even angrier, started yelling and swearing and said he was going to call the cops. 

I actually felt threatened for my safety at that point, so I left his house.

Just a warning to others that he's not as approachable as he seems. 

I have a photo taken a few years ago  : my son Chris and Max.They were at a mutual friend’s party..They went to the same school and Chris is a mate of Max’s older brother Adam.I reckon Chris reluctantly ( because it was a party and not a MFC function ) asked Max to pose for a photo for me - being a life time supporter.And he agreed.Now that photo of my son and our Premiership Captain sits on the sideboard in our house. And now that I think about Chris doesn’t have it on display at his house - l must ask why!

• Haha 2