PREGAME: Rd 03 vs Port Adelaide

Tomlinson in .

Both he and Petty play down back if Lever and May are out.

Id give Hore a full game so if needs be, we can swing Petty fwd.

• Like 1

Looks like we will need two of Hore, Petty and Tomlinson in the starting 22 to cover for May and Lever.

The Petty decision presumably comes down to how badly the FD want him in the forward line. Personally I think we will be OK with Brown and JVR forward as we were in the second half today, and therefore I'd go with Petty back. That also perhaps avoids the need to bring Tomlinson back if we think Hore can do the job. 

Either way I'm pretty confident in the squads ability to cover 2 of the best backmen Ive seen in our colours..... Which I almost can't believe is possible to say

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Moonshadow said:

'Filthy' fills a hole down back

I thought his nickname was "Shilling"

1 hour ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Tomlinson on Dixon I assume and the following week on Walker. After the bye on Daniher

Tough ask perhaps

Certainly the opportunity to make or break him.  Which will it be? Over to you Tommo.  IF he takes on all three and wins, then it would be one hell of an achievement  

Tomlinson was after  all the preferred third tall defender early 2021 until he did his ACL.

Edited by monoccular
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Tommo and T Mc together gives me shudders of playing getting turned around

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

Dixon’s the only match up there I remotely like. Mobility of the others worries me. 

I suspect it’s Petty back until May returns post bye with that line up 

Yep, there is no way Tomo comes in if Tommy Mac is playing defence.

Petty back with Hore & Tommy or Tomo.

Salem now stays back as the only experienced leader in the backline until May/Lever return

• Like 1

I'm not confident that we can now navigate a period without May and Lever. I have been impressed with TMac and Hore and was buoyed by Petty's return to bolster our forward line to give Brown and bit of a break in this upcoming block of close together games. However this has certainly thrown a spanner in the works. Let's see how good we can move the deckchairs and get through this Adelaide adventure.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

Looks like we will need two of Hore, Petty and Tomlinson in the starting 22 to cover for May and Lever.

The Petty decision presumably comes down to how badly the FD want him in the forward line. Personally I think we will be OK with Brown and JVR forward as we were in the second half today, and therefore I'd go with Petty back. That also perhaps avoids the need to bring Tomlinson back if we think Hore can do the job. 

Marty is super fit and will handle the intercept role to aplomb imv IF Lever is out

• Like 5

Normally my MFCSS would be tweeking with May and Lever out, but I think Hore and Tommo are enough cover. TMac, well you have to take the evidence in front of you, absolutely Men’s department material. I guess Salem becomes back line captain, but really McVee looks so composed with the kick-ins (remember when you were scared of a MFC kick in), Rivers had more of a game today, Petty might not have match fitness but never looked out of place in a contest I don’t even know how Hunter or Bowey get back in the side at the moment. I like Duke more than Hunter, with Howes and Hore not doing much wrong and plenty right. So any way huge kudos to Troy Chaplin, the back-line still looking very respectable and composed. (BTW Hawks had been fuzzing about their forwards)

For me next week is about Rozee and Butters, both silk gloves fitted to iron fists, must be respected, just not sure how.

Really liking the deliberate use of JVR in the ruck, protecting Gawn is key, Port play Gawn as well as any team. (By cheating)

I’m line ball about this game, but think we have Crows covered.

Petty back settled the back 6 yesterday. Tommo in and ultimately it’s about how easy the opposition get it in their 50.  Lock them down mids

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

Tomlinson on Dixon I assume and the following week on Walker. After the bye on Daniher

Tough ask perhaps

Tex is cooked Had a shocker this week

If we win one of the next two with both May and Lever out, I'm loading up for the Granny.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I expect lever to get up, May maybe 2 weeks. Not much change required then, based on the team on the park today.  If we win the middle we win both these games in Adelaide.

• Like 1

Reckon we’ll be without May until post our bye

i think levers withdrawal was just precautionary. Didn’t look in too much discomfort or overly concerned post match so I reckon he’ll play against port.

I’d prefer to use petty down back while May is out. Maybe bring in Thommo and use tmac forward?

• Like 3

11 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

If Tommo doesn't get a crack now, you'd wonder why he'd stay.

We'll see. I tend to think he won't get a run, but I like having Petty forward. We're just starting to find a groove up front now after two years of dysfunction 

• Like 1

This is the ultimate interstate trip that could galvanise the group. They're staying in Adelaide following the Port game, I imagine they'll do it in a training camp/hub style. It's the perfect time to get together and get closer than ever. 

Interstate wins mean so much, a win or two here would be huge.

• Clap 1

Reading the tea leaves, goody generally goes with next best ranked if it kind of fits the system. 

Fullarton has been emergency every week, reckon it’ll be petty back and fullarton forward. No great hand-wringing for me, Petty will still effect games then will head back forward in a couple of weeks, maybe it’ll time well with BBB needing a break. 

• Like 2

May and Lever out messes up our game plan as now we can’t depend on intercept marks as a given. If Petty goes back, would this be the first time TMAC and Petty start a game together in the backline? Which means they will essentially be a new backline team?

Which means up the ground both in the middle and our F50, pressure acts and ANB type defensive running will have to be the norm across the team. They’ve got great kicks delivering inside 50 so we have to make sure those players aren’t given any space. 

Gonna be a tough game but IMO this will be won by being defensive up the ground with hard running more so than our D50.