POSTGAME: QF vs Collingwood

Demonland

Wasted many opportunities tonight but the pies came with more hunger and we left our run too late, only got ourselves to blame.

Season isn’t over and may flags have been won from this position but we need to make some serious adjustments fwd of centre as it’s simply not working we are expecting miracles while pies at the other end getting 1v1 and 2v2 like playing with a hand tied behind your back.

Edited by Garbo
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

Right. 

So let's run through it. 

We can both agree that his action first and foremost was to jump and smother the ball? 

I mean, clearlllly that's what he did. 

Now tell me what he could do with his body mid air to avoid the contact? 

Ah, here is. I knew old mate would be back. Hasn't been sighted since our last loss and now he's back defending a guy who failed in his duty of care. He left the ground and make head high contact with another player that resulted in an immediate substitution of that other player.

Only nuffies who don't understand the letter of the law here are defending this.

Edited by Binmans PA
  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

1 hour ago, Green Demon said:

Petty and Melksham would have been handy. 😳

Kinda poetic that a poorly executed simple pass resulted in Petty’s injury & stuffs up our forward structure.  And then the cobbled together forward line can’t execute simple skills.  Circle of life 😂

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Jjrogan said:

I agree with the first half of your post.  You are right in saying that Maynard couldn't avoid contact, but isn't that true in countless cases so surely that can't be test right.

The fact is he chose to turn and bump. Now yes you could say that was to protect himself, but again, you can say that about every ground ball collision also ( Hunters this year.)  His other option was to show duty of care and try and tackle, brace with his arms out etc

yes that is split second, but again that is what every case deals with.  He had other options.

He has a duty of care to not shirt front an opposing player.  He should get 3 weeks.  And I'm not biased jvr should get 2 also, that was amateur stuff. 

The point most people are missing in this is that he was in the AIR. 

He won't get weeks due to the fact he was in the air and had no reasonable means to avoid contact unlike someone who has two feet planted on the ground.. 

The intention was the Smother also, not to bump. And his last action was to brace whilst mid air. 

It's vastly different. 

• Facepalm 3

1 minute ago, JimmyGadson said:

He won't get weeks due to the fact he was in the air and had no reasonable means to avoid contact unlike someone who has two feet planted on the ground.. 

The intention was the Smother also, not to bump. And his last action was to brace whilst mid air. 

It's vastly different. 

AFL only cares about the end result. They’ve shown this all year. That end result was one of the worst all year. Bad luck Maynard 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, JimmyGadson said:

It's vastly different. 

Simple rule. Don’t leave your feet and lose control. Failure to take reasonable care. Nobody is missing anything. 

• Like 10
  • Clap 3

1 hour ago, praha said:

It hasn't worked and continuously gets out coached in big games. Goodwin is still learning but we are being coached to put ourselves in games to win. McRae could see how they were going to win and that's exactly how they did it. We were lucky to be so close, really. We fought back when it was still open for us but we lost it early

I dunno, I can't put the blame on Goodwin. This was down to execution. If Fritsch nails those two easy (for him) set shots we win. Pickett misses two easy snaps, Petracca hits the post etc etc

We controlled the game for longer than they did just could not convert. Joel Smith was our most dangerous forward and props to him but that's not gonna win you a flag.

• Like 8

Burnt chances 23 shots vs 15 from inside 50s 

Will continue to haunt them as to dominate this number but can’t capitalise.. they have another game but if it’s another failed campaign honestly I don’t want to hear Trac say on 360 it wasn’t a wasted season because it is!

• Like 2

I spent alot of this game, both during and immediately post, angry and annoyed. However I'm now washed over with a sense of confidence. Cant really explain why.

We should roll whoever we play next week, don't care if it's Carlton or Sydney.

Brisbane and Port at their respective home grounds shouldn't hold fear for our team.

We'll play Collingwood again in the granny and we'll get them when it really matters.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 2
  • Clap 2

2 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Ah, here is. I knew old mate would be back. Hasn't been sighted since our last loss and now he's back defending a guy who failed in his duty of care. He left the ground and make head high contact with another player that resulted in an immediate substitution of that other player.

Only nuffies who don't understand the letter of the law here are defending this.

My post was actually balanced if you read it. 

I'm just not a fan of the echo chamber you all exist in. Gets boring you know? 

And I'll be back here calling you the Nuffy when Maynard is cleared to play. 

I dislike him as much as anyone, but sense prevails here. Not so much on a Melbourne demons forum post a qualifying final loss. I mean it's no surprise at all that everyone thinks he should get weeks lol. 

No doubt if it were the other way round, you'd all be banging on about how he should be free to play and that he did nothing wrong! 

Good to see that name change backfired on you and you've got it for the year, suits you well! 

• Vomit 1

To smother the kick of an oncoming player requires the smotherer to dive at that kickers feet.  Who does that?

A smother enacted correctly comes from the side, rarely, if ever, front on

And you don't have to have played footy to know any of the above (although it helps)

So how does a player attempting to smother a kick (which is kicked from about 30cm from ground level) end up shouldering the kickers head?  Huh?  Makes zero sense

Those justifying Maynard's action quite literally have no idea what they're talking about

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, JimmyGadson said:

It's vastly different. 

Leaning towards this view. I know everyone hates the guy right now but I'm not sure what else he could do.

3 minutes ago, Nascent said:

I spent alot of this game, both during and immediately post, angry and annoyed. However I'm now washed over with a sense of confidence. Cant really explain why.

Brisbane and Port at their respective home grounds shouldn't hold fear for our team.

We'll play Collingwood again in the granny and we'll get them when it really matters.

It's funny. I went into the game confident and felt if we kicked straight we'd win, and we then had the golden ticket to the GF.

My sister was leas confident going in and thought we'd lose.

After the game, I felt season over and she is now saying we'll win the flag haha.

Funny old game.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Nascent said:

I love your confidence but mine is shot. 

Our forward line is sub-standard. And with one of them getting rubbed out tonight, and with the selections we have on offer, it is only about get worse. 

• Like 1