• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

CHANGES: Rd 04 vs Port Adelaide

Demonland

Just now, 58er said:

Tmac should have been switched onto Wright last night and Maysie spending a stint up forward for awhile.

I believe we need Tmac in defence sometimes as very big players can monster May ( Admittedly this us the first time in about 35 games Maysie has lowered his colours. Not a bad effort. 

If Injury cover then form cover is just as important. 2/3 goals is fine if Mitch comes in. 

2 hours ago, Ungarieboy said:

Therefore if fit BBB on for Weid (He knew the deal, the taste and confidence gained should spur him on even more)

If fit Lever in for hunt/tomilson depending on matchups.

That's how I see it.

Though I think if Lever comes in it will definitely be tomlinson out 

Simply no chance Joel Smith goes out. He, May (albeit beaten by the best marking forward so far this year along with Harry McKay), Gus and Bowey have been holding the backline together ably - in fact with Bowey, like a genius little Napoleon. And what’s with Gus’ 20 marks last night?! Tomlinson and Hunt are vulnerable. We should all expect Sam W to stay in, given he produced our best forward performance this year so far, but stranger things have happened. He’s been playing the ruck-forward-mobile tall role at Casey, so can do the Tmac role, the BBB role, and the Luke Jackson role. With Tmac’s form flatline, it seems obvious that if BBB comes in, Weid replaces Tmac, no? Goody loves minimising changes though, so who knows. 

• Like 1

Petracca rested,  playing injured, replaced by Dunstan. Could not possibly get up in a few days.

Tomlinson axed, Tommy goes back, Weed plays further up the ground.

• Facepalm 2

10 hours ago, titan_uranus said:

Brown straight back. Weid holds TMac out. TMac either goes back or dropped. 

Lever back. Hunt out I think. 

We can’t get the four missing defenders back quick enough. 

Your'e right , but last night was a credit to the system defence with a still-second string defence with May and Bowey doing their best to hold it together , incl great play by Gus.

Good job coaching team. 70 points against.

Last year the rule was if the Dees kick more than 65 points they win.

This year its up just a tad.

The cavalry can't come soon enough though.

54 minutes ago, 58er said:

Tmac should have been switched onto Wright last night and Maysie spending a stint up forward for awhile.

I believe we need Tmac in defence sometimes as very big players can monster May ( Admittedly this us the first time in about 35 games Maysie has lowered his colours. Not a bad effort. 

Would have been worth a try , But May did some great saving work and direction last night and his defensive instincts are elite compared to most, incl TMac

He gave away 100mm in height against Wright who is turining out well for the Bombers. (193cm  vs 203 cm)

Swapping May and Tmac during the 3rd or 4th would have been a disaster. May is the best full back in the league by a mile. 

We got the win with our structure the way it was, the opposition is gonna kick a few goals every game. It was no big deal that Peter had some chances throughout the game when they got the momentum. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Ben Brown definitely won't play only a 6 day break needs 7. I say no change.

Close contact iso period is 6 days not 7 as far as I know. And apparently he was a close contact starting yesterday. So he should be available and will 10000% play if he is, even if it means he flies in the morning of the game. It’s one hour. I’m sure he can survive. 

I can’t see us risking Lever. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I think it's an easy call?

You drop the bloke that's been completely out of form since the Hawthorn game last year.

Easy call for us Demonlanders to drop T Mac but who knows what Goody sees in him?

At the end of the day he’s phased out Jetta, Jones and Melksham out of the side so T Mac shouldn’t be any different here.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

21 minutes ago, Demon17 said:

Would have been worth a try , But May did some great saving work and direction last night and his defensive instincts are elite compared to most, incl TMac

He gave away 100mm in height against Wright who is turining out well for the Bombers. (193cm  vs 203 cm)

He also allowed Wright to lead at the ball with 0 body contact on multiple occasions 

• Facepalm 1

4 minutes ago, MrFreeze said:

He also allowed Wright to lead at the ball with 0 body contact on multiple occasions 

I think it's more about lack of midfield pressure and lack of players coming back to fill Wright's leading areas.  May had him if it wasn't on the lead.

If Petty was in the side we would have been worth a shot with his extra height.

• Like 3

Goody said in his presser Lever will play next week and Petty the week after probably with Casey.

1 hour ago, Lucifers Hero said:

Did Goodwin say Lever and Brown are available next week or that they will play next week?  Subtle difference.

If Lever comes in a tall defender is the most likely to go; Tomlinson or Smith.  Port don't have many talls playing at the moment and Dixon isn't due back for a while.

Brown coming in is a bit harder to negotiate.  Sam earnt the right to play again and have the chance to claim a spot.  Not sure if TMc is carrying an injury but he just can't get off the ground to mark or spoil.   He probably hasn't won his position for quite a while.  And, I'm not sure that having no team training would matter that much for Brown so he could slot back in.

So keep Sam and omit either Brown or TMc.

The Brown/TMac/Weid conundrum only gets harder! It would be really stiff to drop Weid after what was a career best performance, but as some others have said its difficult to see how those three can fit into the same forward line. 

I'm also split on TMac at the moment. It's clear that his form has dropped off considerably since his amazing start to 2021, but its also clear that he plays an important role in our structure that helps players like Brown and Fritsch to shine. Not to mention his great aerobic abilities. 

Having said that you have to wonder if he's only averaging a goal a game and is repeatedly getting out marked, is his mere presence in our structure enough? Clearly Goody and co. reckon it is, but gee I think Weid did well last night and if TMac's dip in form continues, I'd be curious to see what dropping TMac for Weid would do for us (for better or worse!)

• Like 2

Brown will not play next week 

Now the focus will be on how Goodwin fits Weideman into the same forward line as Tom McDonald and Brown when the former North Melbourne full forward is next available for selection.

It won't be in round four, given that game is only six days away at Adelaide Oval against Port Adelaide. 
This quote conflicts with another article quote both from the Melbourne website

Edited by Satan

14 minutes ago, deelusions from afar said:

I think it's more about lack of midfield pressure and lack of players coming back to fill Wright's leading areas.  May had him if it wasn't on the lead.

If Petty was in the side we would have been worth a shot with his extra height.

Exactly .

Leading forwrads are stopped by team defence generally.  They always have the advantage of a split second decison over their defender. 

Nevertheless May wasn't happy with his performance by the look of him after the game. True professional.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Satan said:

Brown will not play next week 

Now the focus will be on how Goodwin fits Weideman into the same forward line as Tom McDonald and Brown when the former North Melbourne full forward is next available for selection.

It won't be in round four, given that game is only six days away at Adelaide Oval against Port Adelaide. 

I saw somewhere that BBB actually went into ISO on Thursday so he should be available for next Thursday nights game.

Not sure what you mean by ugliest win but it's pretty pointless talking about it anyway. An ugly win means a lot more than a pretty loss. Even as far as ugly wins go, I'd say the First Round win against Freo last year was right up there, but I'd take that and this against the losses and the draw last year, especially the loss to Collingwood and the Draw against Hawthorn, both of which were pretty horrible performances.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Docs Demons said:

I saw somewhere that BBB actually went into ISO on Thursday so he should be available for next Thursday nights game.

You are right , confusing articles 

But the club has revealed Brown entered health and safety protocols as a close contact on Thursday – not on Friday – meaning he will be available for selection in round four.

Edited by Satan
  • Like 1

the issues around BBB are whether he contracts the virus from his close contact. If so the 6/7 day clock starts from that day.

There is nothing to stop him relocating to a private place where training is easier ( home gym and running area)provided he can drive himself there.A nearby rural property would be ideal

Would like to think that the club has thought this all through well in advance and has various contingency plans and options for both single and partnered players

55 minutes ago, FritschyBusiness said:

Swapping May and Tmac during the 3rd or 4th would have been a disaster. May is the best full back in the league by a mile. 

We got the win with our structure the way it was, the opposition is gonna kick a few goals every game. It was no big deal that Peter had some chances throughout the game when they got the momentum. 

I would've put May on to the deepest forward considering he sat so deep and seemed to constantly be worried about what was behind him rather than his opponent, put Tomlinson forward/bench (or sub) which is where Tom played a lot of the last quarter anyway, and had Tom closely checking Wright.

May on Wright was a disaster. Otherwise May played ok but no one could've done any worse than May did on Wright because he let him run around and do whatever he wanted.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

This wasn’t even as ugly as Essendon last year 

After following the Dees for too many decades I'll take ten wins in a row, a flag and the red and blue raining supreme on the G any day. 

• Like 2