Jump to content

  • Demonland Interviews

Demonland

Goodwin signs on until end of 2022

Recommended Posts

19 hours ago, Deeoldfart said:

On the front foot like we are with most things these days.  Love it!

I wonder if its planned to announce at or just prior to AGM on 17th December?

Hope so.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hemingway said:

Its an interesting one.

Remember that its only half a season ago that there were more critics than supporters and even the media were asking questions.

Goodwin's improved status came on the back of half a dozen games. 

Cycles and perception of performance are a constantly moving feast and the critics will be back in a flash if team performance is below expectations or Goody's game plan is superseded by new game plans ?

Based on those half dozen games do you reward Goodwin with a long term contract such as 6 years or go for a more conservative period of 3 or 4 years and maybe throw in the option to renew at the end of that period ?

Perhaps Goodwin himself may prefer a shorter contract ? Its unlikely but possible. 

Is it possible that the Demons could go off the rails or simply not make the improvement everyone is now predicting. Particularly given that many believe that anything short of a flag will be a fail.

What happens if Goodwin himself has some sort of crisis and a replacement needs to be found ?

Giving him a long term contract such as 5 or 6 years would be a vote of confidence and provide stability. At the same time, a long term contract may encourage other members of his coaching panel to ply their trade elsewhere with more opportunities. Is the coaching panel hiding a potential top-line coach?

Long term contracts will not stop dissatisfaction and rumours (both inside and outside the club) if the Dees performance tails off.

What happens if the President and the Board changes or there is a falling out between President/Board and Goodwin a la Norm Smith?

You have to be very happy with a coach or any employee to offer a long term contract. The are many variables and things are in a constant state of flux. You have to be happy to the point of not having any doubts that he is the right guy.

Are we sure he is the right guy and will you still feel the same way if expectations are not met in 2019?

 

It’s a challenge not to go full @ProDee on your first two paragraphs, hemingway. I want to say what I think of the supporters and media who lit a bunsen burner under Goodwin in the early part of the season. I’ll just say I thought at the time, and still believe, that their opinion demonstrated hopeless impatience and a thorough lack of understanding of where we were at and what was happening. 

I don’t think it’s either in Goodwin’s or the club’s interest to sign any more than 3 years, on pretty good coin. He has moved out of “establishing” to “established”. That length gives him a clear signal that we’re a fan of his work and believe he’s the right man to steer the ship, without reaming ourselves if the unexpected happens and it goes south. From his perspective, it’s good certainty in an uncertain industry, with the opportunity for a big payday in 3 years time if he’s still delivering.

Medium term contract should be where both the club and Goodwin are at in my opinion.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A contract extension is recognition of a job well done so far, and unfinished business. And rightly so. To me, a 3 year extension is the right length of time as it says we believe in what you are doing,, and believe you are the right man for the job, but that with the current squad we believe we should achieve at least one premiership in that 3 year period. If we don’t then we need a new man for the position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, The Chazz said:

I really struggle with any player using the homesick card to get out of a club.  If the day comes where a senior coach is lured by the "go home" factor, then the AFL world might as well shut up shop.

I don't think it is the same thing, to be a successful at the same club as both player, captain and coach is a pretty rare feat. My comment was also based around the fact that Adelaide seems quite wobbly, and he would /should still have love for his old club, and the dollars offered might go up as well. This is not some 20y.o. that missus Mummy we are talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Nasher said:

It’s a challenge not to go full @ProDee on your first two paragraphs, hemingway. I want to say what I think of the supporters and media who lit a bunsen burner under Goodwin in the early part of the season. I’ll just say I thought at the time, and still believe, that their opinion demonstrated hopeless impatience and a thorough lack of understanding of where we were at and what was happening. 

I don’t think it’s either in Goodwin’s or the club’s interest to sign any more than 3 years, on pretty good coin. He has moved out of “establishing” to “established”. That length gives him a clear signal that we’re a fan of his work and believe he’s the right man to steer the ship, without reaming ourselves if the unexpected happens and it goes south. From his perspective, it’s good certainty in an uncertain industry, with the opportunity for a big payday in 3 years time if he’s still delivering.

Medium term contract should be where both the club and Goodwin are at in my opinion.

Did I read that Goodwin's status rose on "6 good games" ?  Sometimes I wish I could say what I really think.

I'm with you.  I would never give any coach longer than three years.  It's completely unnecessary.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, hemingway said:

Its an interesting one.

Remember that its only half a season ago that there were more critics than supporters and even the media were asking questions.

Goodwin's improved status came on the back of half a dozen games. 

Cycles and perception of performance are a constantly moving feast and the critics will be back in a flash if team performance is below expectations or Goody's game plan is superseded by new game plans ?

Based on those half dozen games do you reward Goodwin with a long term contract such as 6 years or go for a more conservative period of 3 or 4 years and maybe throw in the option to renew at the end of that period ?

Perhaps Goodwin himself may prefer a shorter contract ? Its unlikely but possible. 

Is it possible that the Demons could go off the rails or simply not make the improvement everyone is now predicting. Particularly given that many believe that anything short of a flag will be a fail.

What happens if Goodwin himself has some sort of crisis and a replacement needs to be found ?

Giving him a long term contract such as 5 or 6 years would be a vote of confidence and provide stability. At the same time, a long term contract may encourage other members of his coaching panel to ply their trade elsewhere with more opportunities. Is the coaching panel hiding a potential top-line coach?

Long term contracts will not stop dissatisfaction and rumours (both inside and outside the club) if the Dees performance tails off.

What happens if the President and the Board changes or there is a falling out between President/Board and Goodwin a la Norm Smith?

You have to be very happy with a coach or any employee to offer a long term contract. The are many variables and things are in a constant state of flux. You have to be happy to the point of not having any doubts that he is the right guy.

Are we sure he is the right guy and will you still feel the same way if expectations are not met in 2019?

 

It’s always a hard one Hem, would Carlton want a do over with Ratts? Dons with Knights? Brissy with Leppa?

Plenty examples of getting it wrong, this bloke seems like he might be ok for the next 2 to 3 years. 5 to 6 years is ridiculous.

Edited by Cards13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

4 years sounds about right... allows a further extension at the end of year 3 if all is going well.

I think coaches of the future will be looking for sabbaticals in their contracts (even for half a season). Year on year it's a very tough gig especially on the family front.

I believe Goody is currently contracted until the end of next season, (2019).

I reckon we'll extend the contract by 3 Yrs... taking his contract out to the end of (2022) season.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Ron Burgundy said:

Gotta be 5 years, surely.

 

That would effectively be a 6 year contract from now...

Gotta be irresponsible, surely...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DV8 said:

I believe Goody is currently contracted until the end of next season, (2019).

I reckon we'll extend the contract by 3 Yrs... taking his contract out to the end of (2022) season.

the old contract will probably be scrapped as the new one will include a pay rise etc. So in that sense I am agreeing wit you... 4 years ending at the end of season 2022

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

3 years from me. 

Not a fan of long term contracts

3 years with incentives keeps all parties switched on. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2018 at 6:29 PM, DaisyDeeciple said:

I don't think it is the same thing, to be a successful at the same club as both player, captain and coach is a pretty rare feat. My comment was also based around the fact that Adelaide seems quite wobbly, and he would /should still have love for his old club, and the dollars offered might go up as well. This is not some 20y.o. that missus Mummy we are talking about.

Agree and plus this - https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/03/are-hinkley-and-pyke-the-coaches-under-the-most-pressure-in-2019/

Now, I don't think Goodwin has show any signs of wanting out/go home, but if we don't get this extension right, then the hungry crow eaters could well come a knocking on his door.

  • Like 1
  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 year contract with an "are you the right guy?" clause which allows the club to question his ability and chastise him in a public forum for a period not exceeding 1 week after any loss 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Agree and plus this - https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/03/are-hinkley-and-pyke-the-coaches-under-the-most-pressure-in-2019/

Now, I don't think Goodwin has show any signs of wanting out/go home, but if we don't get this extension right, then the hungry crow eaters could well come a knocking on his door.

Living and working with Crow fans I can tell you they would want nothing more than to get their hands on Goodwin and bring him home.

Give him an extra 2 to 3 years. I truly believe we have a good one. Pardon the terrible pun.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2018 at 1:03 AM, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Agree and plus this - https://www.sen.com.au/news/2018/12/03/are-hinkley-and-pyke-the-coaches-under-the-most-pressure-in-2019/

Now, I don't think Goodwin has show any signs of wanting out/go home, but if we don't get this extension right, then the hungry crow eaters could well come a knocking on his door.

Of all the players/coaches/staff at our club, Goodwin is one I worry about the least.  He is building something special here, and the Crows have come knocking before, which he said no to.  I have no doubt he'll sign an extension before the pre-season footy really kicks off in February.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We won't lose him to the Crows but I think we'll have to pay him more because he's worth it. Love the way he goes about it.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Goody's got a lot of catching up to do. 😳

 

Hopefully Goody left all that behind at the Dons. 

  • Like 1
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Powerhouse...

I read that word with a massive amount of pride.

A far cry from 2013 when we all considered a 5 goal loss to Richmond a highlight of that season.

We’ve come a long way and can only hope we continue our rise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE BRIGHT SIDE by Whispering Jack

    I don’t often agree with Dermott Brereton but he came close to the mark last week when he labelled Melbourne a “team of downhill skiers” that works much harder offensively than it does defensively.  And he was looking at the bright side of the team’s game plan. That proposition has been clear since before the season started. It was obvious from the first JLT game against Richmond when the team leaked multiple goals in a short space of time as players gave metres away to opposition forwards.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CASEY VS THE AUSSIES by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons played an exhibition match against an Australian Under 19 team at the MCG on Easter Saturday but the game was played with more than half an eye on the fact that whilst their senior counterpart was taking part in their AFL Round 5 game against St Kilda later that afternoon, they also had an assignment just four days later against Richmond.  The team, with 10 AFL Demons, opened strongly and dominated the first half to lead by four goals at the main break before taking most of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    EASTER BUNNIES by George on the Outer

    Easter is supposed to be an occasion of hope, revival and ultimately celebration.  But for the Demon supporters it was none of these as yet again their team was made Easter Bunnies by the Saints. With the exception of Christian Salem, there was not a single winner on the ground.  The danger for the Demons was giving the Saints their own hope and enthusiasm by conceding early goals.  That is exactly what happened in the first quarter, although with some ridiculous frees from the umpires clos

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MARCHING IN by The Oracle

    The most embarrassing loss of the 2018 season (perhaps aside from the Preliminary Final) for Melbourne was the one it suffered in Round 15 against lowly St Kilda. The Demons came into the game as a red hot favourite but were embarrassed by the Saints' speed and willingness to take the contest right up to them for virtually the full four quarters. It was a defeat that they were to bemoan for the remainder of the season. Their arrogance in going into the game and taking an opponent lightly was a c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    RELENTLESS by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons returned to the winning list with an emphatic 54 point victory over a limp North Melbourne VFL combination at Casey Fields on Saturday. Smarting from last week’s thrashing at Box Hill, the Demons came out of the blocks intent on redeeming themselves for their embarrassing start to the 2019 campaign.  After a brief early bout of inaccuracy, the goals flowed as a result of relentless pressure applied to the visitors who were constantly forced into error. The pleasing thi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TO A “T” by George on the Outer

    Thursday night football - not something Melbourne FC are accustomed to doing, especially after barely garnering a Friday night game for years. Yet with this opportunity, the Demons soundly beat the Swans at the SCG and put their season back on Track. This was not only a game of mental toughness, since the Demons had so far failed to win a game in 2019 and faced possibly a season ending prospect of 0-4, should they have failed in Sydney.  History was against them, and Buddy Frankli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SWANSONG by Whispering Jack

    They said that in 2019, the Melbourne Football Club was going to take its game to another level but we were never prepared for the level the club is reaching as it approaches the fourth round of the season holding up the entire AFL ladder in a match that could be its swansong for the year.    We were meant to be premiership contenders, not playing off for a wooden spoon which is what will be the case unless there is a sudden and dramatic turn around in our fortunes!    And whilst there

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A DAY TO FORGET by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons started the 2019 in unimpressive fashion with a 62 point loss to the  Box Hill Hawks at Box Hill City Oval. It was a total contrast to their 2018 opening when they monstered the Coburg Lions but the circumstances were entirely different. Twelve months ago, the Demons were able to go into the match with a large contingent of AFL listed players while yesterday, they went into the game with 12 Melbourne players, mostly inexperienced.  They were also hampered by the AFL sc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    2019 IS NOT 2018 by George on the Outer

    Seems like an obvious statement doesn’t it?   Yet the MFC coaching staff/team seem to have forgotten to change their calendars on January 1st. A 3 goal loss against the equal bottom side in the competition and now with a 0-3 record for the current season, it should be obvious that things have changed from 2018.  Not so on the field, as Melbourne continue to play the style which got them to a Preliminary final.   Once again the Demons saw 20 goals scored against them for the game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE NIGHT OF THE TORTOISES by The Oracle

    Friday night sees two clubs of which a great deal was expected in 2019, facing off in the battle of the slow starting tortoises. Both have had calamitous starts to the season and are sitting at 0-2. One of them will, by the end of the evening, be seeing their season slipping away from their grasp.   Both clubs are playing without confidence and without purpose. The Demons, who had the best-performed attack of all clubs last year, managed to convert 73 entries inside their forward 50 metre a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE CAT RUN by George on the Outer

    It truly became a “Cat Run” with an 80 point win to the home side, an outcome that had us wondering what happened to the Demons of 2018 when they got to a Preliminary final on the basis of their “brand” of contested football?   Well that part hasn’t changed any, since the likes of Clayton Oliver can win the ball 44 times in a game including 15 clearances, Angus Brayshaw racks up 33 touches with Jack Viney chipping in for 27 of this own.  In the ruck Max Gawn had 53 hitouts on the night, and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    REDEMPTION? by the Oracle

    How much should we be making out of Melbourne’s opening round loss on its home ground against an unfancied team from interstate in Port Adelaide?  The game was barely over before the excuses were coming out that about the lack of preparation of the team, the fact that some players were playing injured or unfit and unable to handle the humidity and the heat, the team’s lack of run and spread, the lack of experience and having too many key players injured or (in the case of Steven May) suspen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...