Jump to content

  • Demonland Interviews

Demonland

Goodwin signs on until end of 2022

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, Watson11 said:

We were the number one third quarter team in 2018.  Number 4 in 2017.  Sign of a good coach is one that can analyse the game and make adjustments at half time.

He inherited an OK list with some great young talent, but has turned over 20 players (50% of the list) since he started.  The improvement of the other 20 has mostly been really significant.  The list now is his list built for the style that he wants, and rid of the dead wood and culture killers.  He deserves to own it. 

He's done the hard work building the culture by making the tough calls,  even more so than Roos.  In my opinion he deserves a 4 or 5 year extension.  Injuries and murphy's law mean there are no guarantees, but if Goody can't deliver a premiership then no one can.  I'm confident he'll do it.

 

 

 

 

To be fair, if Roos had pruned the list to get rid of all the dead wood he inherited, he would hardly have had enough left to field a team.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, old dee said:

There is no rush. He is not going anywhere he knows the list is a good one. Where would he go? Carlton, Freo, saints I don't think so. The MFC can afford to see how the early part of the 2019 season turns out. We can then negotiate from a position of strength. 

I don't think you want to negotiate. 

You want to put an offer to him that he will accept.

You need to take some risks if you think that the investment is a good one. 

One that shows that the Club/board has confidence, belief and trust in the man.

The promised land is sustained success over the long term. The flag is the icing on the cake but it is not the be all and end all

Life is uncertain so nothing is promised but decision makers need to make a decision that considers at minimum the next five years. Personally, when you look at the great clubs of the past, you see a sustained path of success over 20 to 40 years.  

Every season supporters and media will ask questions based on match results. But we don't want a coach thinking short-term.

For success, you must be looking long term to the point where success is expected not anticipated and becomes the status quo not the occasional.

Sure I want to see success before I die but i also want to die thinking that my club is going to be successful for ever, for my children, grandchildren and those of all Melbourne Supporters.

That the rock known as the Melbourne Football Club will outlive me and last forever into eternity.     

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Am I imagining things or are we, the Melbourne Football Club who were at rock bottom 4 or 5 years ago and a decade of hell,   now a stable strong club from top to bottom?  And a premiership favourite coming off a Prelim final?

Is this all a dream?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Am I imagining things or are we, the Melbourne Football Club who were at rock bottom 4 or 5 years ago and a decade of hell,   now a stable strong club from top to bottom?  And a premiership favourite coming off a Prelim final?

Is this all a dream?

Just fish and chip wrapper mate. The media have to write something. But it is better reading than 5-6 years ago when Wilson was leading the charge. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Just fish and chip wrapper mate. The media have to write something. But it is better reading than 5-6 years ago when Wilson was leading the charge. 

But it is such a lovely fish and chip wrapper.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, hemingway said:

I don't think you want to negotiate. 

You want to put an offer to him that he will accept.

You need to take some risks if you think that the investment is a good one. 

One that shows that the Club/board has confidence, belief and trust in the man.

The promised land is sustained success over the long term. The flag is the icing on the cake but it is not the be all and end all

Life is uncertain so nothing is promised but decision makers need to make a decision that considers at minimum the next five years. Personally, when you look at the great clubs of the past, you see a sustained path of success over 20 to 40 years.  

Every season supporters and media will ask questions based on match results. But we don't want a coach thinking short-term.

For success, you must be looking long term to the point where success is expected not anticipated and becomes the status quo not the occasional.

Sure I want to see success before I die but i also want to die thinking that my club is going to be successful for ever, for my children, grandchildren and those of all Melbourne Supporters.

That the rock known as the Melbourne Football Club will outlive me and last forever into eternity.     

Still don't see any need to rush with a contract for him.

Like you I want the MFC as a power in the AFL long after I shuffle off. As long as that happens then wether we win a flag or not is minor to me in my years left. I appreciate that it is probably vital to younger members and necessary to build membership. If it's happens fine but I long ago gave up on it as a must have. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, old dee said:

Still don't see any need to rush with a contract for him.

Like you I want the MFC as a power in the AFL long after I shuffle off. As long as that happens then wether we win a flag or not is minor to me in my years left. I appreciate that it is probably vital to younger members and necessary to build membership. If it's happens fine but I long ago gave up on it as a must have. 

Never give up OD. We must strive for every cup we can. That is the element that left us in ‘65. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Never give up OD. We must strive for every cup we can. That is the element that left us in ‘65. 

Just not necessary to maintain my support SWYL. It probably puts me in a very small group of members ( I doubt it is more than 2 ) but just they way I feel. If it happens I will enjoy as much as everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

But it is such a lovely fish and chip wrapper.

Frame it, grease and all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, old dee said:

Like you I want the MFC as a power in the AFL long after I shuffle off. As long as that happens then wether we win a flag or not is minor to me in my years left. I appreciate that it is probably vital to younger members and necessary to build membership. If it's happens fine but I long ago gave up on it as a must have. 

I will perform CPR on you for 5 years until it happens Mr Old. You're going to experience another flag, by golly!

Stick fat!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

45 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

I will perform CPR on you for 5 years until it happens Mr Old. You're going to experience another flag, by golly!

Stick fat!

Not going anywhere Mr Moon 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, hemingway said:

..........

Sure I want to see success before I die but i also want to die thinking that my club is going to be successful for ever, for my children, grandchildren and those of all Melbourne Supporters.

That the rock known as the Melbourne Football Club will outlive me and last forever into eternity.     

Ernest

Eloquent as per usual - do you mean a bit of a farewell to arms, when the bell tolls for thee?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monoccular said:

Ernest

Eloquent as per usual - do you mean a bit of a farewell to arms, when the bell tolls for thee?

Depends whether you want to evoke Frederic Henry or Robert Jordan ?  I would suggest the former because I regard it as romantic but the latter is definitely a tragedy. So let’s go for life and romance not death and tragedy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Melbourne is considering placing coach Simon Goodwin on a rolling contract and not a set-term contract as talks ramp up on a new deal.

It’s anticipated an announcement concerning Goodwin’s tenure will be made before Round 1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would only do that type of deal if Goodwin is happy with it. I think the past two seasons show that a coach can underperform for years than spike to the top. If Goodwin is committed for the long term stick with him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can see the appeal.

We have a down year this year and you get the 'why did he get a 3 year extension', and then when the next deadline is closing in you get more speculation.

Or we are very successful over this next contract and then we're looking at paying him megabucks.

Locking him in to a regular staff contract might achieve more certainty for both parties. 

The concern is every year becomes a contract year if you get to the stage where there's no pay outs (assuming there's some protections over the early years for Goody).

I've seen enough from Goodwin to think he's a very good coach who can adapt and grow with the job. Things will only go badly wrong if he's surrounded by the wrong people or the wrong players. That's not to say Goody alone can bring sustained success but if you abandon the idea of the messiah coach you can treat Goodwin as a vital foundation to build upon.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MurDoc516

are you talking abiut Buckley? Can't say that with Goody as he was assistant in past at Dons and under Roosy.

Melb were happy with him in that role.

This sounds like the role Carlton have with Bolton. Believe if Goody is happy then go with it but a term gives some relativity to all Football Club decisions.

ztjinkk 3/4 years would be fine to add as I expect us to contend until st least 2024/5 looking at list age group and potential A graders on our list st present.

Goody is the right bloke with help to nurture and succeed with the talent at his disposal and not only get that elusive snd much waited for 23 th but perhaps a dynasty like Hawks or Cats.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

I can see the appeal.

We have a down year this year and you get the 'why did he get a 3 year extension', and then when the next deadline is closing in you get more speculation.

Or we are very successful over this next contract and then we're looking at paying him megabucks.

Locking him in to a regular staff contract might achieve more certainty for both parties. 

The concern is every year becomes a contract year if you get to the stage where there's no pay outs (assuming there's some protections over the early years for Goody).

I've seen enough from Goodwin to think he's a very good coach who can adapt and grow with the job. Things will only go badly wrong if he's surrounded by the wrong people or the wrong players. That's not to say Goody alone can bring sustained success but if you abandon the idea of the messiah coach you can treat Goodwin as a vital foundation to build upon.

Instead you get rolling speculation.

I can't see an upside in this at all.

It was ok for Carlton as it gave them a quick get out with Bolton if they realised he couldn't really coach.

Edited by rjay

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doesn’t make sense to me, but i will be interested to see what the final deal is

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Doesn’t make sense to me, but i will be interested to see what the final deal is

I think he's backing himself to bring home the bacon (it is the year of the pig after all).

I like it in the sense that if he does membership goes up and with that revenue... a bit for the coach ... why not.

Can see the argument of the traditionalists but perhaps it's time we broke the mold.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I think he's backing himself to bring home the bacon (it is the year of the pig after all).

I like it in the sense that if he does membership goes up and with that revenue... a bit for the coach ... why not.

Can see the argument of the traditionalists but perhaps it's time we broke the mold.

I get that. But Bolton was bought in to coach a crap side as an untried coach. 

Goodwin is in a very different position

it just seems a bit weird....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2018 at 1:25 PM, hemingway said:

Its an interesting one.

Remember that its only half a season ago that there were more critics than supporters and even the media were asking questions.

Goodwin's improved status came on the back of half a dozen games. 

Cycles and perception of performance are a constantly moving feast and the critics will be back in a flash if team performance is below expectations or Goody's game plan is superseded by new game plans 

The turning point was after the Sydney game in round 21. It was a disgraceful game and we were outcoached terribly. Things had to change. To his credit he changed them and the team hasn't looked back.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I get that. But Bolton was bought in to coach a crap side as an untried coach. 

Goodwin is in a very different position

it just seems a bit weird....

Personally ...I don't mind a rolling contract..it has benefits and conditions.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, beelzebub said:

Personally ...I don't mind a rolling contract..it has benefits and conditions.

 

As long as Goodwin is happy, this maybe Gary Pert’s way of working. I have no idea. But it is interesting 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

As long as Goodwin is happy, this maybe Gary Pert’s way of working. I have no idea. But it is interesting 

Possibly Bartlett’s idea.  He would know a thing or two about employment law and incentive schemes.

Both party’s would need to sign the contract so Goody would have to be happy.  Surely it would be more like a CEO type contract with a decent termination payout.  But if Goody is an optimist he’ll be ok with an open ended contract, as he would be better rewarded if we have success.  If he’s a pessimist he would want a longer fixed term contract that pays him regardless of performance.

I’ll put my money on Goody being totally happy with an open ended contract and backing himself to be remunerated as a premiership coach sooner rather than later.

 

Edited by Watson11
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    THE BRIGHT SIDE by Whispering Jack

    I don’t often agree with Dermott Brereton but he came close to the mark last week when he labelled Melbourne a “team of downhill skiers” that works much harder offensively than it does defensively.  And he was looking at the bright side of the team’s game plan. That proposition has been clear since before the season started. It was obvious from the first JLT game against Richmond when the team leaked multiple goals in a short space of time as players gave metres away to opposition forwards.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    CASEY VS THE AUSSIES by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons played an exhibition match against an Australian Under 19 team at the MCG on Easter Saturday but the game was played with more than half an eye on the fact that whilst their senior counterpart was taking part in their AFL Round 5 game against St Kilda later that afternoon, they also had an assignment just four days later against Richmond.  The team, with 10 AFL Demons, opened strongly and dominated the first half to lead by four goals at the main break before taking most of

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    EASTER BUNNIES by George on the Outer

    Easter is supposed to be an occasion of hope, revival and ultimately celebration.  But for the Demon supporters it was none of these as yet again their team was made Easter Bunnies by the Saints. With the exception of Christian Salem, there was not a single winner on the ground.  The danger for the Demons was giving the Saints their own hope and enthusiasm by conceding early goals.  That is exactly what happened in the first quarter, although with some ridiculous frees from the umpires clos

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MARCHING IN by The Oracle

    The most embarrassing loss of the 2018 season (perhaps aside from the Preliminary Final) for Melbourne was the one it suffered in Round 15 against lowly St Kilda. The Demons came into the game as a red hot favourite but were embarrassed by the Saints' speed and willingness to take the contest right up to them for virtually the full four quarters. It was a defeat that they were to bemoan for the remainder of the season. Their arrogance in going into the game and taking an opponent lightly was a c

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    RELENTLESS by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons returned to the winning list with an emphatic 54 point victory over a limp North Melbourne VFL combination at Casey Fields on Saturday. Smarting from last week’s thrashing at Box Hill, the Demons came out of the blocks intent on redeeming themselves for their embarrassing start to the 2019 campaign.  After a brief early bout of inaccuracy, the goals flowed as a result of relentless pressure applied to the visitors who were constantly forced into error. The pleasing thi

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TO A “T” by George on the Outer

    Thursday night football - not something Melbourne FC are accustomed to doing, especially after barely garnering a Friday night game for years. Yet with this opportunity, the Demons soundly beat the Swans at the SCG and put their season back on Track. This was not only a game of mental toughness, since the Demons had so far failed to win a game in 2019 and faced possibly a season ending prospect of 0-4, should they have failed in Sydney.  History was against them, and Buddy Frankli

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SWANSONG by Whispering Jack

    They said that in 2019, the Melbourne Football Club was going to take its game to another level but we were never prepared for the level the club is reaching as it approaches the fourth round of the season holding up the entire AFL ladder in a match that could be its swansong for the year.    We were meant to be premiership contenders, not playing off for a wooden spoon which is what will be the case unless there is a sudden and dramatic turn around in our fortunes!    And whilst there

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A DAY TO FORGET by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons started the 2019 in unimpressive fashion with a 62 point loss to the  Box Hill Hawks at Box Hill City Oval. It was a total contrast to their 2018 opening when they monstered the Coburg Lions but the circumstances were entirely different. Twelve months ago, the Demons were able to go into the match with a large contingent of AFL listed players while yesterday, they went into the game with 12 Melbourne players, mostly inexperienced.  They were also hampered by the AFL sc

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    2019 IS NOT 2018 by George on the Outer

    Seems like an obvious statement doesn’t it?   Yet the MFC coaching staff/team seem to have forgotten to change their calendars on January 1st. A 3 goal loss against the equal bottom side in the competition and now with a 0-3 record for the current season, it should be obvious that things have changed from 2018.  Not so on the field, as Melbourne continue to play the style which got them to a Preliminary final.   Once again the Demons saw 20 goals scored against them for the game.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE NIGHT OF THE TORTOISES by The Oracle

    Friday night sees two clubs of which a great deal was expected in 2019, facing off in the battle of the slow starting tortoises. Both have had calamitous starts to the season and are sitting at 0-2. One of them will, by the end of the evening, be seeing their season slipping away from their grasp.   Both clubs are playing without confidence and without purpose. The Demons, who had the best-performed attack of all clubs last year, managed to convert 73 entries inside their forward 50 metre a

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE CAT RUN by George on the Outer

    It truly became a “Cat Run” with an 80 point win to the home side, an outcome that had us wondering what happened to the Demons of 2018 when they got to a Preliminary final on the basis of their “brand” of contested football?   Well that part hasn’t changed any, since the likes of Clayton Oliver can win the ball 44 times in a game including 15 clearances, Angus Brayshaw racks up 33 touches with Jack Viney chipping in for 27 of this own.  In the ruck Max Gawn had 53 hitouts on the night, and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    REDEMPTION? by the Oracle

    How much should we be making out of Melbourne’s opening round loss on its home ground against an unfancied team from interstate in Port Adelaide?  The game was barely over before the excuses were coming out that about the lack of preparation of the team, the fact that some players were playing injured or unfit and unable to handle the humidity and the heat, the team’s lack of run and spread, the lack of experience and having too many key players injured or (in the case of Steven May) suspen

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...