• Podcast      

Demonland

Goodwin signs on until end of 2022

16 hours ago, Watson11 said:

We were the number one third quarter team in 2018.  Number 4 in 2017.  Sign of a good coach is one that can analyse the game and make adjustments at half time.

He inherited an OK list with some great young talent, but has turned over 20 players (50% of the list) since he started.  The improvement of the other 20 has mostly been really significant.  The list now is his list built for the style that he wants, and rid of the dead wood and culture killers.  He deserves to own it. 

He's done the hard work building the culture by making the tough calls,  even more so than Roos.  In my opinion he deserves a 4 or 5 year extension.  Injuries and murphy's law mean there are no guarantees, but if Goody can't deliver a premiership then no one can.  I'm confident he'll do it.

To be fair, if Roos had pruned the list to get rid of all the dead wood he inherited, he would hardly have had enough left to field a team.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, old dee said:

There is no rush. He is not going anywhere he knows the list is a good one. Where would he go? Carlton, Freo, saints I don't think so. The MFC can afford to see how the early part of the 2019 season turns out. We can then negotiate from a position of strength. 

I don't think you want to negotiate. 

You want to put an offer to him that he will accept.

You need to take some risks if you think that the investment is a good one. 

One that shows that the Club/board has confidence, belief and trust in the man.

The promised land is sustained success over the long term. The flag is the icing on the cake but it is not the be all and end all

Life is uncertain so nothing is promised but decision makers need to make a decision that considers at minimum the next five years. Personally, when you look at the great clubs of the past, you see a sustained path of success over 20 to 40 years.  

Every season supporters and media will ask questions based on match results. But we don't want a coach thinking short-term.

For success, you must be looking long term to the point where success is expected not anticipated and becomes the status quo not the occasional.

Sure I want to see success before I die but i also want to die thinking that my club is going to be successful for ever, for my children, grandchildren and those of all Melbourne Supporters.

That the rock known as the Melbourne Football Club will outlive me and last forever into eternity.     

• Like 2

Am I imagining things or are we, the Melbourne Football Club who were at rock bottom 4 or 5 years ago and a decade of hell,   now a stable strong club from top to bottom?  And a premiership favourite coming off a Prelim final?

Is this all a dream?

17 minutes ago, Petraccattack said:

Am I imagining things or are we, the Melbourne Football Club who were at rock bottom 4 or 5 years ago and a decade of hell,   now a stable strong club from top to bottom?  And a premiership favourite coming off a Prelim final?

Is this all a dream?

Just fish and chip wrapper mate. The media have to write something. But it is better reading than 5-6 years ago when Wilson was leading the charge. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Just fish and chip wrapper mate. The media have to write something. But it is better reading than 5-6 years ago when Wilson was leading the charge. 

But it is such a lovely fish and chip wrapper.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, hemingway said:

I don't think you want to negotiate. 

You want to put an offer to him that he will accept.

You need to take some risks if you think that the investment is a good one. 

One that shows that the Club/board has confidence, belief and trust in the man.

The promised land is sustained success over the long term. The flag is the icing on the cake but it is not the be all and end all

Life is uncertain so nothing is promised but decision makers need to make a decision that considers at minimum the next five years. Personally, when you look at the great clubs of the past, you see a sustained path of success over 20 to 40 years.  

Every season supporters and media will ask questions based on match results. But we don't want a coach thinking short-term.

For success, you must be looking long term to the point where success is expected not anticipated and becomes the status quo not the occasional.

Sure I want to see success before I die but i also want to die thinking that my club is going to be successful for ever, for my children, grandchildren and those of all Melbourne Supporters.

That the rock known as the Melbourne Football Club will outlive me and last forever into eternity.     

Still don't see any need to rush with a contract for him.

Like you I want the MFC as a power in the AFL long after I shuffle off. As long as that happens then wether we win a flag or not is minor to me in my years left. I appreciate that it is probably vital to younger members and necessary to build membership. If it's happens fine but I long ago gave up on it as a must have. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, old dee said:

Still don't see any need to rush with a contract for him.

Like you I want the MFC as a power in the AFL long after I shuffle off. As long as that happens then wether we win a flag or not is minor to me in my years left. I appreciate that it is probably vital to younger members and necessary to build membership. If it's happens fine but I long ago gave up on it as a must have. 

Never give up OD. We must strive for every cup we can. That is the element that left us in ‘65. 

3 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Never give up OD. We must strive for every cup we can. That is the element that left us in ‘65. 

Just not necessary to maintain my support SWYL. It probably puts me in a very small group of members ( I doubt it is more than 2 ) but just they way I feel. If it happens I will enjoy as much as everyone else.

3 hours ago, Petraccattack said:

But it is such a lovely fish and chip wrapper.

Frame it, grease and all

50 minutes ago, old dee said:

I will perform CPR on you for 5 years until it happens Mr Old. You're going to experience another flag, by golly!

Stick fat!

45 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

I will perform CPR on you for 5 years until it happens Mr Old. You're going to experience another flag, by golly!

Stick fat!

Not going anywhere Mr Moon 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hemingway said:

Ernest

Eloquent as per usual - do you mean a bit of a farewell to arms, when the bell tolls for thee?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, monoccular said:

Ernest

Eloquent as per usual - do you mean a bit of a farewell to arms, when the bell tolls for thee?

Depends whether you want to evoke Frederic Henry or Robert Jordan ?  I would suggest the former because I regard it as romantic but the latter is definitely a tragedy. So let’s go for life and romance not death and tragedy!

Melbourne is considering placing coach Simon Goodwin on a rolling contract and not a set-term contract as talks ramp up on a new deal.

It’s anticipated an announcement concerning Goodwin’s tenure will be made before Round 1.

I would only do that type of deal if Goodwin is happy with it. I think the past two seasons show that a coach can underperform for years than spike to the top. If Goodwin is committed for the long term stick with him.

I can see the appeal.

We have a down year this year and you get the 'why did he get a 3 year extension', and then when the next deadline is closing in you get more speculation.

Or we are very successful over this next contract and then we're looking at paying him megabucks.

Locking him in to a regular staff contract might achieve more certainty for both parties. 

The concern is every year becomes a contract year if you get to the stage where there's no pay outs (assuming there's some protections over the early years for Goody).

I've seen enough from Goodwin to think he's a very good coach who can adapt and grow with the job. Things will only go badly wrong if he's surrounded by the wrong people or the wrong players. That's not to say Goody alone can bring sustained success but if you abandon the idea of the messiah coach you can treat Goodwin as a vital foundation to build upon.

• Like 2

MurDoc516

are you talking abiut Buckley? Can't say that with Goody as he was assistant in past at Dons and under Roosy.

Melb were happy with him in that role.

This sounds like the role Carlton have with Bolton. Believe if Goody is happy then go with it but a term gives some relativity to all Football Club decisions.

ztjinkk 3/4 years would be fine to add as I expect us to contend until st least 2024/5 looking at list age group and potential A graders on our list st present.

Goody is the right bloke with help to nurture and succeed with the talent at his disposal and not only get that elusive snd much waited for 23 th but perhaps a dynasty like Hawks or Cats.

1 hour ago, DeeSpencer said:

I can see the appeal.

We have a down year this year and you get the 'why did he get a 3 year extension', and then when the next deadline is closing in you get more speculation.

Or we are very successful over this next contract and then we're looking at paying him megabucks.

Locking him in to a regular staff contract might achieve more certainty for both parties. 

The concern is every year becomes a contract year if you get to the stage where there's no pay outs (assuming there's some protections over the early years for Goody).

I've seen enough from Goodwin to think he's a very good coach who can adapt and grow with the job. Things will only go badly wrong if he's surrounded by the wrong people or the wrong players. That's not to say Goody alone can bring sustained success but if you abandon the idea of the messiah coach you can treat Goodwin as a vital foundation to build upon.

Instead you get rolling speculation.

I can't see an upside in this at all.

It was ok for Carlton as it gave them a quick get out with Bolton if they realised he couldn't really coach.

Edited by rjay

Doesn’t make sense to me, but i will be interested to see what the final deal is

17 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

Doesn’t make sense to me, but i will be interested to see what the final deal is

I think he's backing himself to bring home the bacon (it is the year of the pig after all).

I like it in the sense that if he does membership goes up and with that revenue... a bit for the coach ... why not.

Can see the argument of the traditionalists but perhaps it's time we broke the mold.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Diamond_Jim said:

I think he's backing himself to bring home the bacon (it is the year of the pig after all).

I like it in the sense that if he does membership goes up and with that revenue... a bit for the coach ... why not.

Can see the argument of the traditionalists but perhaps it's time we broke the mold.

I get that. But Bolton was bought in to coach a crap side as an untried coach. 

Goodwin is in a very different position

it just seems a bit weird....

• Like 2

On 11/29/2018 at 1:25 PM, hemingway said:

Its an interesting one.

Remember that its only half a season ago that there were more critics than supporters and even the media were asking questions.

Goodwin's improved status came on the back of half a dozen games. 

Cycles and perception of performance are a constantly moving feast and the critics will be back in a flash if team performance is below expectations or Goody's game plan is superseded by new game plans 

The turning point was after the Sydney game in round 21. It was a disgraceful game and we were outcoached terribly. Things had to change. To his credit he changed them and the team hasn't looked back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sir Why You Little said:

I get that. But Bolton was bought in to coach a crap side as an untried coach. 

Goodwin is in a very different position

it just seems a bit weird....

Personally ...I don't mind a rolling contract..it has benefits and conditions.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beelzebub said:

Personally ...I don't mind a rolling contract..it has benefits and conditions.

As long as Goodwin is happy, this maybe Gary Pert’s way of working. I have no idea. But it is interesting 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Sir Why You Little said:

As long as Goodwin is happy, this maybe Gary Pert’s way of working. I have no idea. But it is interesting 

Possibly Bartlett’s idea.  He would know a thing or two about employment law and incentive schemes.

Both party’s would need to sign the contract so Goody would have to be happy.  Surely it would be more like a CEO type contract with a decent termination payout.  But if Goody is an optimist he’ll be ok with an open ended contract, as he would be better rewarded if we have success.  If he’s a pessimist he would want a longer fixed term contract that pays him regardless of performance.

I’ll put my money on Goody being totally happy with an open ended contract and backing himself to be remunerated as a premiership coach sooner rather than later.

Edited by Watson11
  • Like 4