Jump to content
  • Demonland Interviews

Demonland

Goodwin signs on until end of 2022

Recommended Posts

On the front foot like we are with most things these days.  Love it!

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He's the right man for us, at this right time. 

Things may one day change, but right now things are going along well.

 

 3 or 4 Yrs I reckon.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel really good about this, I have been a bit scared about Adelaide knocking on his door. He (+St Roos) has made the Demons brand of footy legit.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

I feel really good about this, I have been a bit scared about Adelaide knocking on his door. He (+St Roos) has made the Demons brand of footy legit.

Adelaide knocked on his door before he chose us...so long as the club look after him he's not going anywhere.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

4 years sounds about right... allows a further extension at the end of year 3 if all is going well.

I think coaches of the future will be looking for sabbaticals in their contracts (even for half a season). Year on year it's a very tough gig especially on the family front.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have heard through the grapevine that Goody will not be referred to as 'the employee' in the terms of agreement but as 'the right guy'.

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

5 years get it done, everything is built for success now. He is the perfect fit there is no better fit for the MFC, what does 3 years achieve?

Give him the security he and his family deserve, make him feel wanted,needed,apprieciated and trusted with a long term deal.

#Justdoit

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, DaisyDeeciple said:

I feel really good about this, I have been a bit scared about Adelaide knocking on his door. He (+St Roos) has made the Demons brand of footy legit.

I really struggle with any player using the homesick card to get out of a club.  If the day comes where a senior coach is lured by the "go home" factor, then the AFL world might as well shut up shop.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its an interesting one.

Remember that its only half a season ago that there were more critics than supporters and even the media were asking questions.

Goodwin's improved status came on the back of half a dozen games. 

Cycles and perception of performance are a constantly moving feast and the critics will be back in a flash if team performance is below expectations or Goody's game plan is superseded by new game plans ?

Based on those half dozen games do you reward Goodwin with a long term contract such as 6 years or go for a more conservative period of 3 or 4 years and maybe throw in the option to renew at the end of that period ?

Perhaps Goodwin himself may prefer a shorter contract ? Its unlikely but possible. 

Is it possible that the Demons could go off the rails or simply not make the improvement everyone is now predicting. Particularly given that many believe that anything short of a flag will be a fail.

What happens if Goodwin himself has some sort of crisis and a replacement needs to be found ?

Giving him a long term contract such as 5 or 6 years would be a vote of confidence and provide stability. At the same time, a long term contract may encourage other members of his coaching panel to ply their trade elsewhere with more opportunities. Is the coaching panel hiding a potential top-line coach?

Long term contracts will not stop dissatisfaction and rumours (both inside and outside the club) if the Dees performance tails off.

What happens if the President and the Board changes or there is a falling out between President/Board and Goodwin a la Norm Smith?

You have to be very happy with a coach or any employee to offer a long term contract. The are many variables and things are in a constant state of flux. You have to be happy to the point of not having any doubts that he is the right guy.

Are we sure he is the right guy and will you still feel the same way if expectations are not met in 2019?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A very reasoned post Ernie...

4 years sounds about right... allows you to extend at the end of year 3 if all are happy.

I do think that this list may be the last roll of our dice for a while so I want to see sustained success. A flag if possible but deep into the finals is the minimum.

The last ten plus years has ripped the life out of the club and its base membership is I suspect getting out of balance age wise. We need to bring on a new generation.

While we can point to the Pies and Tigers as examples of how you can turn it around we can also point to the Bulldogs for flash in the pan success. We desperately need sustained success.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Diamond_Jim said:

A very reasoned post Ernie...

4 years sounds about right... allows you to extend at the end of year 3 if all are happy.

I do think that this list may be the last roll of our dice for a while so I want to see sustained success. A flag if possible but deep into the finals is the minimum.

The last ten plus years has ripped the life out of the club and its base membership is I suspect getting out of balance age wise. We need to bring on a new generation.

While we can point to the Pies and Tigers as examples of how you can turn it around we can also point to the Bulldogs for flash in the pan success. We desperately need sustained success.

Now that is well reasoned Jim.

And I think I would concur on the 4 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, hemingway said:

Its an interesting one.

Remember that its only half a season ago that there were more critics than supporters and even the media were asking questions.

Goodwin's improved status came on the back of half a dozen games. 

Cycles and perception of performance are a constantly moving feast and the critics will be back in a flash if team performance is below expectations or Goody's game plan is superseded by new game plans ?

Based on those half dozen games do you reward Goodwin with a long term contract such as 6 years or go for a more conservative period of 3 or 4 years and maybe throw in the option to renew at the end of that period ?

Perhaps Goodwin himself may prefer a shorter contract ? Its unlikely but possible. 

Is it possible that the Demons could go off the rails or simply not make the improvement everyone is now predicting. Particularly given that many believe that anything short of a flag will be a fail.

What happens if Goodwin himself has some sort of crisis and a replacement needs to be found ?

Giving him a long term contract such as 5 or 6 years would be a vote of confidence and provide stability. At the same time, a long term contract may encourage other members of his coaching panel to ply their trade elsewhere with more opportunities. Is the coaching panel hiding a potential top-line coach?

Long term contracts will not stop dissatisfaction and rumours (both inside and outside the club) if the Dees performance tails off.

What happens if the President and the Board changes or there is a falling out between President/Board and Goodwin a la Norm Smith?

You have to be very happy with a coach or any employee to offer a long term contract. The are many variables and things are in a constant state of flux. You have to be happy to the point of not having any doubts that he is the right guy.

Are we sure he is the right guy and will you still feel the same way if expectations are not met in 2019?

 

The critics of Goodwin in the other thread were only the hysterical type supporters who have no idea of how to build a successful team or groom individuals to perform at their best for a sustained period of time.If anyone also thinks there will not be hiccups along the way over the next few years also has no understanding of this. Goodwin deserves a contract extension of at least 3 years, I would offer 5 if it were my decision.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Luckily the club doesn't read Demonland.  the amount of crap Goody copped most of the year by some on this site was ridiculous.

  • Lost again at selection!
  • Goody has no plan B, etc

He will be a great coach imo and it is terrific to have stability for the club. He has the combination of desire, high standards and man management, footy knowledge. He commands respect and his selections are consistent and in line with form/effort - not your draft pick or seniority.  play well at casey for long enough and you will get your chance.

Can't wait to see this bloke lift the Cup with Viney!!

 

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Give the man a 5 year deal.

Hes is building a serious dynasty where players actually enjoy playing under him and wanting to play under him!

His development and relationship building with players is right up there with the best in the competition when it comed to player coach relationship.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't wait to see this bloke lift the Cup with Viney!!

Ahhhh - Nathan Jones says Hi !

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, hemingway said:

Its an interesting one.

Remember that its only half a season ago that there were more critics than supporters and even the media were asking questions.

Goodwin's improved status came on the back of half a dozen games. 

Cycles and perception of performance are a constantly moving feast and the critics will be back in a flash if team performance is below expectations or Goody's game plan is superseded by new game plans ?

Based on those half dozen games do you reward Goodwin with a long term contract such as 6 years or go for a more conservative period of 3 or 4 years and maybe throw in the option to renew at the end of that period ?

Perhaps Goodwin himself may prefer a shorter contract ? Its unlikely but possible. 

Is it possible that the Demons could go off the rails or simply not make the improvement everyone is now predicting. Particularly given that many believe that anything short of a flag will be a fail.

What happens if Goodwin himself has some sort of crisis and a replacement needs to be found ?

Giving him a long term contract such as 5 or 6 years would be a vote of confidence and provide stability. At the same time, a long term contract may encourage other members of his coaching panel to ply their trade elsewhere with more opportunities. Is the coaching panel hiding a potential top-line coach?

Long term contracts will not stop dissatisfaction and rumours (both inside and outside the club) if the Dees performance tails off.

What happens if the President and the Board changes or there is a falling out between President/Board and Goodwin a la Norm Smith?

You have to be very happy with a coach or any employee to offer a long term contract. The are many variables and things are in a constant state of flux. You have to be happy to the point of not having any doubts that he is the right guy.

Are we sure he is the right guy and will you still feel the same way if expectations are not met in 2019?

 

it is interesting.  I would not be giving him the extension based on 6 weeks but on the past two years where we have consistently improved.  He and his team have improved individual players (Harmes, ANB, T Mac) to levels I did not think possible. And he is still learning and will only get better with confidence and experience.

there are always hiccups and the type of linear improvement we have seen is very unusual. I predict we will not make finals in one of the next three years (I also predict we will make a GF in one the next three years) such is the unpredictability of this league.  short season, injuries can derail a season very quickly.

Lock him away, we have seen him for 4 years so we know what we are getting. The club should be good enough now not to sack a good coach on the back of one bad season

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sydee said:

Can't wait to see this bloke lift the Cup with Viney!!

Ahhhh - Nathan Jones says Hi !

I reckon Viney will be appointed sole captain this year but if not certainly next year (my opinion only)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DubDee said:

it is interesting.  I would not be giving him the extension based on 6 weeks but on the past two years where we have consistently improved.  He and his team have improved individual players (Harmes, ANB, T Mac) to levels I did not think possible. And he is still learning and will only get better with confidence and experience.

there are always hiccups and the type of linear improvement we have seen is very unusual. I predict we will not make finals in one of the next three years (I also predict we will make a GF in one the next three years) such is the unpredictability of this league.  short season, injuries can derail a season very quickly.

Lock him away, we have seen him for 4 years so we know what we are getting. The club should be good enough now not to sack a good coach on the back of one bad season

completely agree

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    SOCIAL DISTANCING by George on the Outer

    It was good to see the MFC players practicing the directives about social distancing at the game against West Coast.  Pity was that they continued to do so after the first bounce of the ball, as they allowed numerous WCE players run around un-hindered, with not a Melbourne player within 1.5 metres of them! They then found themselves looking at nearly a 5 goal deficit at the first break, which was to be essentially the final margin for the game. It is difficult to judge exactly what is going

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    BEST IN SHOW by Whispering Jack

    I am writing this knowing that the AFL has deemed that the opening round of competition will proceed but fully believing that it should not.  The world is going through cataclysmic change as a result of the overwhelming spread of the Covid-19 virus and I agree that a distraction like sport would be good for the public. However, while the physical threat to the population is bad enough, there are other  issues to be addressed including the mental health of the community and the effects on th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TASSIE DEVILS by Van Demon

    If you were looking for something new from the Demons that wasn’t there last year, you didn’t have to look further than the perfectly trimmed grass surface of UTAS Stadium last night as the team steamrolled the Hawks to record a comprehensive 32-point victory to complete their Marsh Community Series commitments for 2020. One new thing was the fact that for the second Marsh game in a row, the team finished full of running and they dominated the second half without the presence or the dominan

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SOUTH OF THE BORDER by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons will go into their final Marsh Series match with a strong lineup against the Hawks in Tasmania. Both Max Gawn and Steven May, who were recovering from injuries in first Marsh Series match, have both been named. It is unclear whether Max will be on restricted minutes and will likely get breaks in the ruck with Sam Weideman and rookie Luke Jackson getting their turns in the middle. Angus Brayshaw will be getting his first taste of competitive football despite playing in last week’s

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    KANGAROO CAUGHT by Whispering Jack

    There was a fair amount of debate in our area as to whether the game warranted a full blown match report because it was felt that it was really an elevated version of a training session with match simulation but against a team in opposition colours. Although notionally the stronger side, North seemed to be using the occasion for the purpose of working on aspects of their game plan, one of the features of which seemed to be based on taking the longest possible route out of defence and good luck w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    JUST AN ABERRATION by Whispering Jack

    Melbourne unveiled its top recruits with new fitness boss Darren Burgess and mid-sized bull Christian Petracca sharing top billing in the team’s Marsh Community Series opener in front of 3,095 football starved fans at Casey Fields and thousands of others watching on screens of various shapes and sizes.  What they saw was a different Melbourne to the one that failed to run out its JLT Series games last year and then crashed in a heap early in the season proper with performances lacking the z

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 4

    CROWDOWN by Paddy Gosch

    The Demons open their 2020 season account with a "home" game against the Adelaide Crows at Casey Fields. It’s been more than 5 and half agonising months for the team and supporters who are eager to atone for the disappointing 2019 season which saw the Dees go from Preliminary Finalist to 2nd bottom on the ladder. The preseason campaign has been a hard slog with the addition of respected High Performance Manager Darren Burgess. We caught a glimpse of the gut busting sessions in the Melbourne

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    THE YEAR THE SKY FELL by The Oracle

    After a number of years of linear movement up the ladder, the Melbourne Football Club unexpectedly went into serious decline in 2019, slumping from fourth to 17th in a season that coach Simon Goodwin described “a complete wipe-out”. Those around the club who tried to analyse the apocalyptic events that unfolded during the year were hard pressed to find a single reason for the debacle but the most plausible explanation was that the club’s troubles stemmed from a lack of fitness and injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    BACK IN STYLE by Whispering Jack

    From the moment when the Elton John character in the movie “Rocketman” burst into its opening scene dressed as a flamboyant demon on his way to an addiction rehabilitation session, the game was on. Here was yet another film about a person gifted with a meteoric rise to stardom finding coke, booze and a hedonistic lifestyle that led directly to a destructive crash into the abyss. Ultimately, these stories end in total disaster (“A Star is Born”, “Bohemian Rhapsody”, “Judy”) but this one resulted

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    THE TRADING CHRONICLES 2019

    PART ONE - OVERTURE  I have a disclaimer at the outset. I’m not a fan of the races - be they horses or motors of any kind. Once the final siren sounds on the football season, I find the month or so that follows and corresponds roughly with the Spring Racing Carnival to be the most boring time of the year for sports fans. You turn on the radio and you’re confronted by the monotonous drone of a self-proclaimed racing expert or by the nasally twang of an ex-jockey banging on about the equine p

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 8

    CHANGES 2019 by The Oracle

    PART 1 - IT’S A LITTLE MORE COMPLICATED THIS TIME This year’s free agency, trade and draft period will see the usual drama and upheaval as the AFL’s 18 clubs seek to better their lists in order to challenge for finals and possibly premiership honours. Long before the final siren sounded on the season just over a week ago, the maneuvering was under way with player agents and clubs discussing possible player movements and in some cases, deals had already been done.  Yesterday, the r

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features 2

    HOW FAR SOUTH? by George on the Outer

    It was appropriate that Melbourne was playing its last game of season 2019 in Hobart.  After all, how much further south could the team go? And much as it has done in many of the previous 22 games, the side managed to extract a loss from a winning position by simply giving the ball back to the opposition time and time again. In fact, they gave it back to the opposition to the tune of 53 points from turnovers while, by way of contrast North Melbourne contributed  only 17 points to their oppo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

×
×
  • Create New...