• Podcast:  

• Podcast: 2022 Season Review & Trade Wrap 

Jason Taylor Resume

On 7/17/2018 at 8:22 PM, WERRIDEE said:

2 genuine busts there.

Kennedy Harris when we could have had Ben Brown.

Hulett when we could have had Menegola.

Still don't think the Kelly trade was a bust Salem is playing good footy unfortunately Tyson isn't.

Tyson helped the club steady the team, at the time of recruitment.

And is still quite a good footballer today.

Salem is really starting to burn.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MudDogs Gawn Win.. someday said:

“I am the architect.. But please.. Call Me Jason...”

“The first Melbourne rebuild was quite naturally perfect, it was a work of art, flawless, sublime. A triumph equaled only by its monumental failure. The inevitability of its doom is apparent to me now as a consequence of the imperfection inherent in Paul Gardiner. Thus, I redesigned it based on Chris Connolly’s history to more accurately reflect the varying grotesqueries of the Fremantle Dockers. However, I was again frustrated by failure. I have since come to understand that the answer eluded me because it required a lesser mind (Mark Neeld), or perhaps a mind less bound by the parameters of perfection. Thus, the answer was stumbled upon by another, an intuitive program, initially created to investigate certain aspects of the Norm Smith Curse.”

“Which brings us at last to the moment of truth, wherein the fundamental flaw is ultimately expressed, and the Anomaly revealed as both beginning and end. There are two doors. The door to your right leads to the Cats at the MCG and the salvation of Max Gawns Round 1 Miss. The door to your left leads back to Spotless Stadium, and to the end of our season. As you adequately put, the problem is Choice. But we already know what you are going to do, don't we?”

CC4F878E-1251-45D3-9573-F00A59288852.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How are you seeing Josh’s performance and results?

so far I am impressed with the things he says, and what we have done so far.  I suppose the real assessment will come with the Hogan/May possibilities.  after hearing him speak today I think we are in good hands...

• Like 1

Josh is brilliant and a huge asset for the club. I’ve heard extremely positive things from multiple current players. They think he’s very approachable, very open and honest, knows his stuff and is overall a high quality operator 

huge asset to the MFC and I’d argue the third most significant figure in our rebuild behind peter Jackson and Paul Roos 

• Like 6

Overall, I like the way he handles himself and gets things done but we definitely spent too much for Lever who was out of contract. But he did well to get hibberd and melksham but I'd be pi$$ed if we don't get 2 first rounders for Hogan. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I've been a critic of some of the trades. In the past I think he's been a bit too keen to be liked by the media and to get deals done early often with the justification of having time to do other deals - when at least from the outside there hasn't been other deals for us to do. But my concern hasn't been the direction of the deals simply the value of the little wins along the way.

That said, I'm certainly a fan of the way he has grown in the role and dedicated himself to it. 

I reckon the GM of footy role has been massively undervalued by clubs. You can see the impact to a club where one of the good guys in this role - Neale Balme, Geoff Walsh etc comes in to a club. The coaches get on with coaching, the recruiters get on with recruiting and the team improves by making shrewd decisions.

To have a smart and reliable person in charge of managing the football department makes the coaches job so much easier. In that aspect I think Josh has been a huge asset. He clearly has a good relationship with the media (along with his media relations team) and they've been quick to quash any drama. The players sign on for contracts. The coaching group have been well managed.

As far as I can tell a lot of his responsibilities have been managed very well:
- equip Goodwin with coaching talent
- handle the list management with a defined plan
- evaluate the talent of the playing group
- work with the media to ward away scandals and drama

My trading concerns are mainly based around the idea that we had leverage in certain deals where we had players signed on and the opposition had incentive to deal with us. The Lever deal, the Salem/Tyson deal, the Melksham deal even the Frost deal. All moments where I think we gave up a lot and probably could've just got a little bit here or there back. Maybe at the end of the day it doesn't matter and certainly the good of bringing in the right players to improve the team outweighs my concerns. 

Anyway, this year we're selling Hogan, attempting to buy May and it requires a firm stand to keep our value and hopefully Josh can achieve that. Already I think we're seeing a stronger approach from Mahoney in the media and that's important. AFL trades are some of the most bizarre negotiations you'll ever see. No other sport is like this and it's really unlike any open market business dealing. It's a bit of a game of chicken with the media heavily involved and a lot of emotions.

How are you seeing Josh’s performance and results?

so far I am impressed with the things he says, and what we have done so far.  I suppose the real assessment will come with the Hogan/May possibilities.  after hearing him speak today I think we are in good hands...

3 minutes ago, Tram 74 said:

I think some posters are getting confused about the differences between the role of Taylor and Mahoney.

Mahoney traded us up to the pick that enabled Taylor to select Oliver.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

7 minutes ago, Fifty-5 said:

Mahoney traded us up to the pick that enabled Taylor to select Oliver.

After he was told how good Oliver was. He  did all that was expected of him but you can be made to look a little foolish if your talent identification people are no good.