Jump to content

Dr.D

Jason Taylor Resume

Recommended Posts

I think it's time this guy starts getting some recognition. Recruiting managers are vital to the prospect of winning a flag so lets have a look at it.  Keeping in mind that it's easier to get the right pick with higher picks but as we all know you can still get them wrong (Cale Morton, Watts, Tapscott, Strauss, Blease, Maric etc.). Since Jason Taylor joined Melbourne he got off to a rocky start with a bar fight on an overseas footy trip but since has done the following (along with some help of Josh Mahoney at the trade table): 

Brought in: Salem, Hunt, Tyson,  Harmes, Garlett, Frost, Petracca, Brayshaw, Lewis, Hibberd, Neal-Bullen, Oscar Mcdonald, Melksham, Oliver, Hannan, Fritsch, Spargo and Joel Smith.
Potential Misses: Kennedy-harris, Stretch, Weideman, Mitch King, Hullett, Dion Johnstone, Oscar baker. 

Here is his breakdown: 
2013 AFL Draft:
Traded Pick 2 (Josh Kelly) for  Pick 9 and Dom Tyson.
Pick 9: Salem
Players before him:  Kolodjashnij, Aish, Luke mcdonald, Scharenberg.
Players after Salem who we could've taken: Cripps, Zac Jones, Acres, Matt Crouch,  Zac Merrett, Rory Lobb, Nankervis, Barrass, Ben Brown, Fantasia, Sicily. 

Pick 40: Jay Kennedy Harris
Seems to be a bust so far. I actually like him the most times I've seen him but for whatever reason he hasn't made the grade yet. 

Pick 57: Jayden Hunt
Players after Hunt: No successful picks after Hunt.

Rookie Draft: James Harmes
Players available after Harmes: Charlie Cameron and Jake Kelly were the only good rookie selections in that years rookie draft. A lot of busts.  

Draft grading: B 
Salem, Hunt, Harmes and Tyson are all best 22 players with Hunt just out of form and Tyson always having divided supporters. Overall, I think it was a mistake to trade pick 2 but his choices of Hunt and Harmes brought his grading back up. 

2014 AFL draft:
Brought in Jeff Garlett for pick 61 and 79.
Brought in Sam Frost and pick 40 and 53 for the loss of Pick 23


Pick 2: Christian Petracca
Proving to be a gun. Needs to work on his kicking but his overhead marking and spark around the contest is invaluable.  Thankfully Stkilda took Mccartin at 1. 

Pick 3: Angus Brayshaw
Took a while to get going with his concussions but is now proving his worth as an inside mid.

Pick 40: Alex Neal-Bullen
I love this guy. Is a competitor and works really hard. 
Pick 42: Billy Stretch. An outside player who can find the footy. Not a bad depth player.  His kicking needs work but he could become a decent wingman if given the opportunity.  
Pick 53: Oscar Mcdonald: I thought the idea of another McDonald down back would give me a heart condition. His first season and a half was very rocky and his decision making and skills were very ordinary but his confidence is growing and even though he is capable of being a bit slow in mind and pushed off the ball too easily he is playing well this season and making the easy options.

Rookie Draft:
Pick 2: Vandenberg
Pick 20: Mitch White
 

Draft grading: A
Got most of the picks right. Garlett has been a gun for us since being recruited and Oscar Mcdonald is progressing well. 

2015 AFL draft
Brought in Melksham for pick 25
Brought in pick 3, 10 and 43 for pick 6, 29 and following years first round pick



2015 AFL draft
Pick 4: Clayton Oliver
Taylor did place a bid on Sydney swan academy player Callum Mills but Sydney thankfully matched. 

Pick 9: Sam Weideman
Pick 42: Mitch King
Pick 46: Liam Hullett

Rookie Draft:
Pick 6: Wagner
pick 24: Viv Mitchie
Pick 41: Joel Smith

Draft grading: A

If it wasn't for Oliver I would've given this about a C but he got Oliver right and he's going to be a 300 gamer. He was a draft bolter with not as much exposure so it was a great choice. Especially considering the top 10 that year does not look strong: Schache, Aaron Francis, Ah Chee, Weideman and Weitering.  And whilst Parish would have been tempting he hasn't set the world on fire. 

2016 AFL draft: 
Brought in Jordan Lewis for next to nothing
Brought in Michael Hibberd for next to nothing


Pick 46: Mitch Hannan
Pick 64: Dion Johnstone

Rookie Draft: 

Pick 8: Lachlan Filipovic
Pick 25: Tim Smith

Draft Grading: A

I'm giving this an A due to the trading and also for the selection of Mitch Hannan who i rate highly.  Also, the first round pick we traded to boost up the draft the previous year were used on Will Brodie.

2017 AFL Draft:
Brought in Jake Lever for the loss of 2 first round picks
Got rid of Watts for pick 31 who was used on Fritsch
Harley Balic for pick 66.


Pick 29: Charlie Spargo
Pick 31: Bailey Fritsch
Pick 37: Harrison Petty
Pick 48: Oscar Baker


Draft grading: A
Lever is going to be great for us for a long time despite the rocky start. Spargo is proving to be tough and smart with the ball and an accurate kick for goal. Fristch was brought in for Jack Watts which I think should have been given an A+ on that trade alone. I don't want to turn this into a Watts thread but Fritsch is already a far better player than Watts and shows that having a small frame is never an excuse for not attacking the ball or man. Fritsch has complimented our forward line in his first season at the club. 








 

  • Like 16
  • Thanks 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice work, Dr. D.  My only quibble would be that naming Oskar Baker and Weed as 'potential misses' is a tad premature.

  • Like 16

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor has done a fantastic job, no doubt.

In an interview a few years ago he said something like - list management is to build the list over the long term, within the context of the coach's game plan and short term list deficiencies.  eg  Roos said a a competitive, elite mid-field was a top priority so that is where Taylor put his best chips in the first few years: Salem, Tyson, Petracca, Brayshaw, Oliver, Vince, (Cross free as an UFA).  Lesser chips on Harmes, ANB, Stretch, Garlett, Hunt, Vandenberg, Bugg.  Lifeline to Jetta. 

With the midfield sorted they were able to add some KPP's - Weideman and Oscar.  At this point we had the core list...we weren't able to get the chip for Lever (but eventually we got our man!). 

When Goodwin started inputting list requirements he was able to specify players to fill out the core list eg more forwards and backs:  Melksham, Hibberd, Lewis and the 2017 recruits.

So, like other successful clubs it is a team effort, when there is a cohesive plan.

That cohesive plan is the key difference pre and post Taylor.  Before that it was random recruiting based on power struggles between CEO, Football Manager, Recruiters and Coach.   And we ended up with a dog's breakfast of a list.  Jackson, Roos and Taylor all came from premiership clubs and they knew what success looks like.  The cohesive plan that all bought into was the foundation for Taylor and co's successes.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone done the numbers around the draft positionsnof the Lever trade if we finish 2nd or 3rd and the Crows finish 9th-10th?

i did a ladder predictor and I reckon the Crows could miss the 8.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hibbert was not brought in "for next to nothing". He cost us a 2nd rounder (and a swap of later picks). A few good players were taken at that point or later in the draft, such as Tom Stewart for Geelong and Jack Graham/Shai Bolton for Richmond. Of course, none with the experience of Hibberd, but they look to be handy players (arguably). 

Happy to have Pig with us. Some on Demonland thought a 2nd rounder was too much!

  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, demonstone said:

Nice work, Dr. D.  My only quibble would be that naming Oskar Baker and Weed as 'potential misses' is a tad premature.

Yeah, it's not really supposed to be about who we missed out on. Not the point of my thread but I would say that Baker was picked up to be an immediate impact player considering he is an advanced age mature recruit. I agree to early to say on Weideman, that's why I have him as a potential miss as he is a regular at vfl at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

http://www.afc.com.au/news/2017-10-12/trade-deal-struck-for-lever

'The Crows have acquired Melbourne’s 2017 first-round draft pick (currently pick No.10), a future first-round pick and a future fourth-round pick.

In exchange Adelaide will send Jake Lever, a second-round pick (currently pick No.35) and a future third-round selection.'

 

We will end up winning this trade easily.  Lever is obviously a star, and Petty (pick 35 in that deal) is the real deal as will soon become apparent...   plus we own Adelaides 3rd rounder in the upcoming draft and another chance for Jason Taylor to find yet another steal.

If we keep on playing well and winning Adelaide will be lucky to get pick 14 in this draft from our first rounder.

Edited by Petraccattack
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, hells bells said:

Has anyone done the numbers around the draft positionsnof the Lever trade if we finish 2nd or 3rd and the Crows finish 9th-10th?

i did a ladder predictor and I reckon the Crows could miss the 8.

 

 

I think Adelaide's 3rd rounder that we have will be about 36 or 37, which will get pushed back by F/S and academy matching.

They get our 4th rounder, which will be late, so they may not use it.

Our 1st rounder that they have will be 18.

Edited by Moonshadow
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

Hibbert was not brought in "for next to nothing". He cost us a 2nd rounder (and a swap of later picks). A few good players were taken at that point or later in the draft, such as Tom Stewart for Geelong and Jack Graham/Shai Bolton for Richmond. Of course, none with the experience of Hibberd, but they look to be handy players (arguably). 

Happy to have Pig with us. Some on Demonland thought a 2nd rounder was too much!


Yah, a mid 2nd rounder and yes you mention Jack Graham/Bolton and Stewart but there were far more busts than makes in that draft. 

After shai bolton, was Mclarty, Begley, Atley, Willem Drew, Declan Watson, Josh Williams, Josh Rotham, Sean Darcy, Josh battle, Brennan Cox, Harrison Macreadie, Kayle Kirby, Tiziani, Jacob Allison, Quinton Narkle, Patrick Kerr, Brad Scheer, Cam Polson etc..the list goes on forever so pick 29 in a draft means that we got him next to nothing in my books. Especially for an AA defender.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, Dr.D said:


Yah, a mid 2nd rounder and yes you mention Jack Graham/Bolton and Stewart but there were far more busts than makes in that draft. 

After shai bolton, was Mclarty, Begley, Atley, Willem Drew, Declan Watson, Josh Williams, Josh Rotham, Sean Darcy, Josh battle, Brennan Cox, Harrison Macreadie, Kayle Kirby, Tiziani, Jacob Allison, Quinton Narkle, Patrick Kerr, Brad Scheer, Cam Polson etc..the list goes on forever so pick 29 in a draft means that we got him next to nothing in my books. Especially for an AA defender.  

Not disagreeing that we got great value for the trade in hindsight, but I highly doubt Taylor or any club would call a 2nd round pick 'nothing'. And Pig wasn't an AA at the time.

We differ in views, no biggie.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kudos to JT and his team for sure but it would be interesting to stack it up against all clubs as a comparison, in isolation it can be difficult to judge. Judging against the previous fella, well JT could have played pin the tail on the draftee and had a better outcome.

He and his team, have definitely improved our list (plenty of early draft picks does help) but they have whiffed on a couple as well, but every club does. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jason Taylor is recruiting manager, he isn't the mastermind behind the trading in of Lever, Hibberd, Melksham, Lewis and Vince. 

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-06-30/demons-get-creative-and-get-some-stars

Edited by Stretch Johnson
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Taylor has done well.

He must be a very good judge and have good instincts. 

An organisation that recruits well has thorough and clear processes and a transparent approach between recruitment staff and management. Its about matching needs and culture, skill sets etc.  Going the extra yard to ensure the match is right and using common sense and instinct.    

In Melbourne's case, it appears that there is alignment between recruiting staff and the coaching group,  delivering clarity around team needs and what type of player will fill those needs.

Like lots of things going on in the club, there appears to be a unified approach on all things. 

This reflects well on the overall management of the club.  

A well managed club is going to have the right people in the right jobs and have a unified approach on all things including recruitment. A poorly managed club is the opposite. 

.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, Moonshadow said:

I think Adelaide's 3rd rounder that we have will be about 36 or 37, which will get pushed back by F/S and academy matching.

They get our 4th rounder, which will be late, so they may not use it.

Our 1st rounder that they have will be 18.

Adelaide third Rounder would be pick 54, pick 36 is second round.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

Adelaide third Rounder would be pick 54, pick 36 is second round.

Adelaide’s “natural” third round selection is 36 + (19 - their finishing position after finals).

So if they finish 10th it’s 36 + (19 - 10) = 45

Finish 3rd it's 36 + (19 - 3) = 52

Natural = before father/son or academy bidding, ofree agent compensation or priority’s selections.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The important thing about all of the selections over these 5 years, is that the only ones NOT at the club are White, Hulett and Mitchie, with White still at Casey. 

Even with low picks, Jason is selecting reliable operators, rather than speculative guesses that his predecessor seemed to wallow in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Worth watching the movie Draft Day with Kevin Costner. Whilst the movie is fiction you can imagine the competing interests in a club and the effort spent on profiling the draftees 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He has done a great job but there is always an element of luck with recruiting and as a club we appear to finally be getting some good luck.

The Salem and Tyson trade would be a failure if we utilised pick 2 correctly. However, as we most likely would have taken Billings with pick 2, it is probably an adequate result.

Oliver is an absolute revelation, but if we had pick 1 would we have ended up with Weitering? We also bid on Mills and risked the chance of missing Oliver. Weideman isn't looking like the best pick but with Oliver being the best in the draft it is easier to forgive.

Brayshaw and Petracca both solid selections and it seemed like they were the only ones considered. Would have been interested to see where the club rated De Goey, who is probably slightly ahead.

From looking over the drafts, I am just thankful that we don't have GWS's recruiting team. They have been appalling and are very lucky for their original 17 years olds which netted them some steals (Treloar, Shiel, Cameron)

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Dr.D said:

I think it's time this guy starts getting some recognition. Recruiting managers are vital to the prospect of winning a flag so lets have a look at it.  Keeping in mind that it's easier to get the right pick with higher picks but as we all know you can still get them wrong (Cale Morton, Watts, Tapscott, Strauss, Blease, Maric etc.). Since Jason Taylor joined Melbourne he got off to a rocky start with a bar fight on an overseas footy trip but since has done the following (along with some help of Josh Mahoney at the trade table): 

Brought in: Salem, Hunt, Tyson,  Harmes, Garlett, Frost, Petracca, Brayshaw, Lewis, Hibberd, Neal-Bullen, Oscar Mcdonald, Melksham, Oliver, Hannan, Fritsch, Spargo and Joel Smith.
Potential Misses: Kennedy-harris, Stretch, Weideman, Mitch King, Hullett, Dion Johnstone, Oscar baker. 

Here is his breakdown: 
2013 AFL Draft:
Traded Pick 2 (Josh Kelly) for  Pick 9 and Dom Tyson.
Pick 9: Salem
Players before him:  Kolodjashnij, Aish, Luke mcdonald, Scharenberg.
Players after Salem who we could've taken: Cripps, Zac Jones, Acres, Matt Crouch,  Zac Merrett, Rory Lobb, Nankervis, Barrass, Ben Brown, Fantasia, Sicily. 

Pick 40: Jay Kennedy Harris
Seems to be a bust so far. I actually like him the most times I've seen him but for whatever reason he hasn't made the grade yet. 

Pick 57: Jayden Hunt
Players after Hunt: No successful picks after Hunt.

Rookie Draft: James Harmes
Players available after Harmes: Charlie Cameron and Jake Kelly were the only good rookie selections in that years rookie draft. A lot of busts.  

Draft grading: B 
Salem, Hunt, Harmes and Tyson are all best 22 players with Hunt just out of form and Tyson always having divided supporters. Overall, I think it was a mistake to trade pick 2 but his choices of Hunt and Harmes brought his grading back up. 

2014 AFL draft:
Brought in Jeff Garlett for pick 61 and 79.
Brought in Sam Frost and pick 40 and 53 for the loss of Pick 23


Pick 2: Christian Petracca
Proving to be a gun. Needs to work on his kicking but his overhead marking and spark around the contest is invaluable.  Thankfully Stkilda took Mccartin at 1. 

Pick 3: Angus Brayshaw
Took a while to get going with his concussions but is now proving his worth as an inside mid.

Pick 40: Alex Neal-Bullen
I love this guy. Is a competitor and works really hard. 
Pick 42: Billy Stretch. An outside player who can find the footy. Not a bad depth player.  His kicking needs work but he could become a decent wingman if given the opportunity.  
Pick 53: Oscar Mcdonald: I thought the idea of another McDonald down back would give me a heart condition. His first season and a half was very rocky and his decision making and skills were very ordinary but his confidence is growing and even though he is capable of being a bit slow in mind and pushed off the ball too easily he is playing well this season and making the easy options.

Rookie Draft:
Pick 2: Vandenberg
Pick 20: Mitch White
 

Draft grading: A
Got most of the picks right. Garlett has been a gun for us since being recruited and Oscar Mcdonald is progressing well. 

2015 AFL draft
Brought in Melksham for pick 25
Brought in pick 3, 10 and 43 for pick 6, 29 and following years first round pick



2015 AFL draft
Pick 4: Clayton Oliver
Taylor did place a bid on Sydney swan academy player Callum Mills but Sydney thankfully matched. 

Pick 9: Sam Weideman
Pick 42: Mitch King
Pick 46: Liam Hullett

Rookie Draft:
Pick 6: Wagner
pick 24: Viv Mitchie
Pick 41: Joel Smith

Draft grading: A

If it wasn't for Oliver I would've given this about a C but he got Oliver right and he's going to be a 300 gamer. He was a draft bolter with not as much exposure so it was a great choice. Especially considering the top 10 that year does not look strong: Schache, Aaron Francis, Ah Chee, Weideman and Weitering.  And whilst Parish would have been tempting he hasn't set the world on fire. 

2016 AFL draft: 
Brought in Jordan Lewis for next to nothing
Brought in Michael Hibberd for next to nothing


Pick 46: Mitch Hannan
Pick 64: Dion Johnstone

Rookie Draft: 

Pick 8: Lachlan Filipovic
Pick 25: Tim Smith

Draft Grading: A

I'm giving this an A due to the trading and also for the selection of Mitch Hannan who i rate highly.  Also, the first round pick we traded to boost up the draft the previous year were used on Will Brodie.

2017 AFL Draft:
Brought in Jake Lever for the loss of 2 first round picks
Got rid of Watts for pick 31 who was used on Fritsch
Harley Balic for pick 66.


Pick 29: Charlie Spargo
Pick 31: Bailey Fritsch
Pick 37: Harrison Petty
Pick 48: Oscar Baker


Draft grading: A
Lever is going to be great for us for a long time despite the rocky start. Spargo is proving to be tough and smart with the ball and an accurate kick for goal. Fristch was brought in for Jack Watts which I think should have been given an A+ on that trade alone. I don't want to turn this into a Watts thread but Fritsch is already a far better player than Watts and shows that having a small frame is never an excuse for not attacking the ball or man. Fritsch has complimented our forward line in his first season at the club. 








 

I think you can attribute the kids to him but the experienced players from other clubs is Josh Mahoney and Todd Vineys domain.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Watts the matter said:

He has done a great job but there is always an element of luck with recruiting and as a club we appear to finally be getting some good luck.

The Salem and Tyson trade would be a failure if we utilised pick 2 correctly. However, as we most likely would have taken Billings with pick 2, it is probably an adequate result.

Oliver is an absolute revelation, but if we had pick 1 would we have ended up with Weitering? We also bid on Mills and risked the chance of missing Oliver. Weideman isn't looking like the best pick but with Oliver being the best in the draft it is easier to forgive.

Brayshaw and Petracca both solid selections and it seemed like they were the only ones considered. Would have been interested to see where the club rated De Goey, who is probably slightly ahead.

From looking over the drafts, I am just thankful that we don't have GWS's recruiting team. They have been appalling and are very lucky for their original 17 years olds which netted them some steals (Treloar, Shiel, Cameron)

 

 

 

 

 

Adequate is putting it mildly, Billings is a 🥔 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has been great for the Club, that said, this is the sort of craft that would get easier the longer you stay at the chosen spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Demons11 said:

I think you can attribute the kids to him but the experienced players from other clubs is Josh Mahoney and Todd Vineys domain.

i agree but Taylor would have a big say too. mahoney and co. wouldn't go around trading picks away without knowing the draft pool back to front

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Watts the matter said:

 

The Salem and Tyson trade would be a failure if we utilised pick 2 correctly. However, as we most likely would have taken Billings with pick 2, it is probably an adequate result.

 

What makes you think we would have taken Billings? Roos was big on big bodied midfielders at the time and I once pointed out that we might have taken the Bont.

@Vogon Poetry had a very good theory that we would have taken Sharenberg at 3. Cant quite remember why he thought that, but it had me convinced.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   3 members

  • Social Media

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    PANTSED BY THE PIES by George on the Outer

    A 41 point loss to Collingwood, combined with yet another meagre output from the Melbourne forwards, saw the Demons pantsed by the Collingwood in the Queens Birthday match. For the nth week in a row, Melbourne failed to produce a score that would trouble most sides - it’s inaccuracy alone was again enough to seal the outcome. If that final score of 7.15 were 15.7, the game would have been very different. That sort of output was exactly a repeat of the previous week against Adelaide, when fo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    TURNAROUND by KC from Casey

    It is truly amazing what a difference eight days can make in the life and times of a football club. It was a little over a week ago that the Casey Demons side were literally crushed into submission by the Werribee Tigers at Avalon Airport Oval. The losing margin in that game was not huge but the way they struggled to produce and cohesion in their play was obvious for all to see.  On Sunday at Casey Fields as part of heritage week, the team wore the Springvale FC jumper and made its own turn

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    TEN YEARS AFTER by Whispering Jack

    There are many who would argue that Melbourne’s current woes go back a full decade to their Queens Birthday engagement of 2009 when the Demons selected a young VCE student Jack Watts to make his debut on the MCG in front of what was expected to be the club’s biggest crowd for a game described as the club’s “grand final in June”. That was the way of the world for the Dean Bailey coached Demons. The critics were skeptical of Melbourne’s decision to put a wet behind the ears schoolboy (albeit

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    TOP END HEADING SOUTH by George on the Outer

    The Demons headed north for their annual game in Darwin, but the disappointing outcome could only mean they are heading south with the all too familiar failings happening again. A Sam Weideman mark and kick for goal with only 30 seconds remaining in the match could have won it for the Demons, but the kick slid sideways and the team went down by two points.  Sam may have been devastated, but the fact that the team could only kick 1 goal 8 behinds in the final quarter lays the blame at the fe

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    MAYDAY by KC from Casey

    There’s not very much that can be said of the lacklustre performance of the Casey Demons at Avalon Airfield Oval against the Werribee Tigers on Saturday other than that it was woeful. There were however, a few small rays of hope for Demon fans, the main one being the display of defender Steven May from injury and to a lesser extent, Kade Kolodjashnij’s return after two months recovering from the effects of concussion. May was in stellar form down back, taking intercept marks, disposing of t

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    POINT OF NO RETURN by the Oracle

    Conventional wisdom says that a club reaches the point of no return in the AFL competition if it has won less than four matches at the mid point of the season.  What this means for Melbourne is that in order for it to remain in the race for a top-eight position, it must start winning games now. Moreover, It's not enough to win the next game but it must also start stringing wins together to make up for its deficit in both wins and percentage.  With so much at stake there will be no excu

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    A REAL DOWNER by KC from Casey

    When Sam Weideman kicked his third goal at the midpoint of the second quarter of Casey’s game at Downer Oval , Point Gellibrand on Sunday, he put his team 26 points ahead of the goalless Seagulls. Buoyed by the return from injury of Weideman and a number of other AFL-listed Melbourne players including Jordan Lewis, Mitch Hannan, and Jay Kennedy Harris and an impressive start to Jake Lever’s second game on return from his ACL surgery, the Demons were seemingly on top of the world. Lewis and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    ANOTHER GIANT PROBLEM by George on the Outer

    On top of its injury problems Melbourne ran into an “in-form” GWS Giants at the MCG in a game which, apart from a final quarter junk-time spree served to highlight the club’s current problems. There’s a virtually non-existent forward line; a plethora of VFL standard players, who might be getting plenty of game experience but most will simply not be up to AFL standard; an inability to kick straight and an ability to waste simple opportunities so that they mustered up only one goal in the fir

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    GIANT HEADACHE by The Oracle

    It seems so long ago that Melbourne took an unchanged line up into a game on the MCG against the Greater Western Sydney Giants and cleaned them up to the tune of 45 points.  In truth, the event occurred literally half a season ago in the final home and away round of the 2018 season and marked the Demons’ return to the finals with more triumphs to come in the weeks ahead. Of course, back then, it was the Giants who were wracked with injuries as they stumbled into the finals series facing the

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    LANDSLIDE by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons enjoyed the better of their first half against Port Melbourne on Saturday but fell away badly after half time to lose by 43 points. The Borough enjoyed the early break with the game’s opening two goals but the Demons took control to go out to an 8 point lead at quarter time, an advantage that it held for most of the second term until a late goal to the visitors clawed the lead back to a point.  The Casey ruck of Braydon Preuss and Liam Wale-Buxton were on top for most

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles 1

    SHOULD HAVE ... COULD HAVE by George on the Outer

    West Coast finally put the nail in the Demons 2019 season coffin with a 16 point win, but it was a game that Melbourne should have, could have, but didn’t win. Once again woeful, truly woeful work in the forward line, both kicking for goal and the lazy, cheap efforts of some let the side down. A solitary goal in the final quarter and only 9 goals from 24+ scoring opportunities was the costly difference in the game. The selectors, once again, made a critical error in not selecting

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    SCREAM by Whispering Jack

    The Norwegian Expressionist artist Edvard Munch painted a number of versions of his famous work “Scream” and, every time my mind goes back to last year’s Preliminary Final at Optus Stadium between Melbourne and the West Coast Eagles, each and every one of them reverberates through my mind as if my head is being pummeled by a sledgehammer.  When I think of that half time scoreboard from that match showing West Coast at 10.9.69 to Melbourne 0.6.6, I feel like the man standing by the railing,

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

×
×
  • Create New...