MATCH PREVIEW AND TEAM SELECTION - Round 17

Demonland

I've tipped us, but not with much confidence. Certainly not the amount of confidence shown in this preview!

This has been a massive learning year so this will need to be another game the boys need to show they've learned their lessons. For that matter Roos as well should be determined on this one, he was totally out coached last time. 

We have the cattle, we need the mindset to be right. 

Edited by Pates
  • Like 2

Very important game for us.. If we win this, then I think we silence a few critics - by way of proof we can win at Etihad again, can win after the Darwin trip, can win 2 in a row again... It will also help us to propel to 10 wins for the year, which will be a pass mark and a good starting point for a final tilt next year..

Go Dees!

• Like 2

Massive game.  I'll be absolutely gutted if we lose and over the moon if we win. 

will get us to 8 wins, beat the saints hoodoo.  really show we have improved since last year, get us away from the riff raff on the table (pies, tiges, blues, etc)

closed roof, expect Hogan and Gawn to dominate. 4 contested marks each.  Hogan to kick 8. Viney BOG

From the two games he's played against St Kilda at Etihad, Hogan has booted 12 goals so far. Based on that, it goes without saying that we can expect another big game from him considering St Kilda's undermanned defence and Hogan's great form over the last month. Winning will depend on how many he can take with him. 

Edited by Demon Jack
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Demon Jack said:

From the two games he's played against St Kilda at Etihad, Hogan has booted 12 goals so far. Based on that, it goes without saying that we can expect another big game from him considering St Kilda's undermanned defence and Hogan's great form over the last month. Winning will depend on how many he can take with him. 

Gee, that is good isn't it? 12 goals from 2 games! Are we overlooking something here?? A hoodoo ground for us, sure, but now we have Jesse.....well, he functions really well at the venue. Could we possibly look forward to games here? A huge plus really. If Max Air can fire then......

12 hours ago, Ricky P said:

Yeah winning 5 would be handy. Would be even better if North go 2 and 5. Then we'd be in the finals!

On this topic, would we have to play at Simonds Stadium two weeks in a row if we finished 8th and Geelong finished 5th? Jumping the gun here I know. But I'd imagine if we had to win that game in r23 to make the 8 then we definitely would find it extremely difficult to repeat the same victory again. Would be great if they scheduled it at the MCG though. 70k! 

Edited by johndemons

1 hour ago, johndemons said:

On this topic, would we have to play at Simonds Stadium two weeks in a row if we finished 8th and Geelong finished 5th? Jumping the gun here I know. But I'd imagine if we had to win that game in r23 to make the 8 then we definitely would find it extremely difficult to repeat the same victory again. Would be great if they scheduled it at the MCG though. 70k! 

I think Geelong (and obviously the AFL) are only interested in hosting finals at Simonds Stadium against interstate clubs. 

This year's elimination final between Geelong and Melbourne will be at the MCG :roos: 

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 5

Think Stretch is due for a rest & although he looked promising I dont tnink there is a spot for White this week & against a quick side like St.Kilda he unfortunately misses for mine.. I would ideally like 3 changes on the back of Darwin but cant see anyone else being dropped

In: Bugg, Brayshaw

Out: White, Stretch

Interesting that they've name Gus.  Would have thought he needed another run at Casey, and I felt that Roos intimated as such, but they might be keen to bring him in fresh to rest someone.

I feel like there is the potential for 3 changes - Oscar could miss, while they might swap Stretch and Kennedy for Gus and Bugg who will be a little fresher.  I'm happy either way though.

OMac really didn't look good at the game so I think he should be rested regardless, so Wagner comes in for him. Interesting about Brayshaw, we brought him back too quickly last time, they'd want to be sure he's good to go this time. 

• Like 1

On 13 July 2016 at 0:46 PM, sue said:

The biggest problem is for the TV broadcast. Hard to adjust the aperture  for half the shot in bright light and the rest in shadow.  Can't say how it is for the players or even for a spectator doomed to be there, but it is bloody awful on TV,

Funny thing is the sun shines at the G and the members stand puts the members wing in shade and anyone sitting in the southern stand has to look into the sun but it's never a problem. 

• Like 2

On 13/07/2016 at 4:08 PM, AdamFphlebeb said:

I think Max can be the difference. If he's beaten by Hickey again we'll lose. If he dominates him like he has some other opponents, our mids will eventually get on top.

Make sure the half forwards bring that press and we should win. I'm not confident the Darwin game won't be used as a reason for a loss here though.

Max struggles a little bit in the ruck against other ruckman who have a tendency to just jump into him early Hickey did it last time we played.

• Like 1

Gus is still a fair way off AFL level based on recent VFL showings. Wouldnt be going there. Clarry is a notch ahead of Gus at this point. Would also rather see Newton or ANB in but not before Clarry. Also rather have Hullet in before Gus.

Gus wld be close to the biggest selection blunder of the year if he's in.

18 minutes ago, demon3165 said:

Max struggles a little bit in the ruck against other ruckman who have a tendency to just jump into him early Hickey did it last time we played.

So a fast developing ruck who is a real student of the game, will not have learnt from the last time?

• Like 1

Hate the saints. They are like that girl at the bar that every mate gets on with, but when you try it on she shuts you down every time.

Time to close the deal dees.

• Like 4

I like these selections and think we will go well against the Saints this time around.

From the interchange I would expect only one of Wagner and White to play unless OMac does not get up. If Omac makes it through to tomorrow i would expect to see White remain in the side and for Wagner to be named emergency. 

I think Bugg and M Jones will be on the bench and that would leave one of Brayshaw and Stretch to fill out the bench.

I would go White, Bugg, M. Jones and Brayshaw on the bench. Wagner and Kennedy emergencies and Stretch to have a rest.

Dees by 5 goals.

• Like 1