WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - BEN KENNEDY

MadAsHell

On 3/7/2016 at 9:23 PM, DeeSpencer said:

We brought him across to give him a consistent shot of games. 

He's making the errors he's known to make at AFL level and doing well in the things he does well in.

As I said earlier it might be a case of picking him and living with some bad kicks for a month or so. There's certainly no reason to bounce him between sides and all signs point towards him not really improving at VFL level. 

I guess he was the guy available but he seems so similar to Kent and Harmes. At least competition for spots should encourage those 3 to go to the next level.

I love posts like this... Did we? Gee we are good bunch of fellows. 

I could assure you that this was not even in our thinking. Not even on the radar screen. Maybe forward pressure? Maybe goal sense? Maybe speed? nah. let's just give him some games in a row poor fella. Could hardly get 2 in a row at the Pies. how unfair of them.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, PaulRB said:

Would have thought Petracca would play a similar role to Kennedy and from all accounts would be an upgrade..?

Petracca is about 15cm taller than Kennedy, and I'd expect more of a Jake Stringer type HHF role for him.

Kennedy will need to learn to play as more of a pure crumber to cement a spot.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Petracca is about 15cm taller than Kennedy, and I'd expect more of a Jake Stringer type HHF role for him.

Kennedy will need to learn to play as more of a pure crumber to cement a spot.

With some luck given Hogan, Garlett and a tall forward/ruck are a lock we will have at least Kennedy, Kent, Watts, Petracca, Trengove, Brayshaw, Vanders, Oliver and Harmes pushing for 3 spots depending on rotations.

Kennedy is no lock and as you say he will need to earn his money as a crumber, also will need to kick some goals and put a lot defensive pressure on.

8 hours ago, jnrmac said:

I love posts like this... Did we? Gee we are good bunch of fellows. 

I could assure you that this was not even in our thinking. Not even on the radar screen. Maybe forward pressure? Maybe goal sense? Maybe speed? nah. let's just give him some games in a row poor fella. Could hardly get 2 in a row at the Pies. how unfair of them.

Well we aren't very smart if we don't recruit a player for not only the attributes that will help the team but also how we will improve them. 

Of course he'll have to earn the games with some form and using his attributes but I'd be very surprised if the coaches don't give him some extra opportunities because it's the best way to fix composure issues. 

Keep dropping him and then brining him back and he'll never feel comfortable at the level. It might not be start of the season, it might be latter rounds, but I'd be shocked if he wasn't given a consistent run at it.

• 3 weeks later...

Unselfish and smart too.  He was 5m from goal and could have taken the shot but saw a defender about to fall in his path so did the selfless thing and hand balled over the top to Garlett who goaled!

A teammate all players will love being on the field with.

• Like 3

On 9 March 2016 at 0:17 PM, rjay said:

With some luck given Hogan, Garlett and a tall forward/ruck are a lock we will have at least Kennedy, Kent, Watts, Petracca, Trengove, Brayshaw, Vanders, Oliver and Harmes pushing for 3 spots depending on rotations.

Kennedy is no lock and as you say he will need to earn his money as a crumber, also will need to kick some goals and put a lot defensive pressure on.

Hopefully down the track Weideman will be the tall forward lock of which you speak but as for now Watts is a lock and so will Petracca be once he gets a call up. That's a solitary position in the forward half (bar injuries) so expect some of the players you have named getting games in the midfield and on the wing.

Loved Kennedy right from his under 18 champs. Thought Collingwood had a massive steal but his career stalled when the sub rule was in place because majority of his games were started as the sub. 

Was stoked when we picked him up and now he is showing why he was a highly rated potential top 10 pick in the draft.

Him Kent and Garlett work so well together.

Where does that leave Jay Kennedy-Harris?

• Like 3

Spoke to a Pies fan who goes to most of their games, who was upset they traded him. Said he was never given a chance to show what he could do. Said he was the sub in nearly every game he played for them and just had no time to settle in when he came on.

Loved his 1% acts on Saturday.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CBDees said:

Hopefully down the track Weideman will be the tall forward lock of which you speak but as for now Watts is a lock and so will Petracca be once he gets a call up. That's a solitary position in the forward half (bar injuries) so expect some of the players you have named getting games in the midfield and on the wing.

Gartlett Hogan Kennedy*

Watts Weideman Petracca*

*with several others rotating through

Looks a fairly potent future forward line.

• Like 2

Now that D.Swan is out for the season (very nasty break wouldnt be surprised if that was his last game-think the poor geelong bugger that Neitz collected) the pies will be cursing the kennedy trade. Not that they are like for like but they are in trouble in the mids after one game. 

BBT humble pie for me was sure Kennedy was NQR.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Ingeniokinetikey said:

Now that D.Swan is out for the season (very nasty break wouldnt be surprised if that was his last game-think the poor geelong bugger that Neitz collected) the pies will be cursing the kennedy trade. Not that they are like for like but they are in trouble in the mids after one game. 

BBT humble pie for me was sure Kennedy was NQR.

Ingenio, I would give my left [censored] to be in Rome now. Lived there for 6 months a while ago. 

Yes, I'm also pumped we got Kennedy.

Just watched the game again.

Kennedy was in everything, was hard at it, was unselfish, was very good defensively, was solid offensively, was clearly effective - in short, already a very important player to this team.

Another Roos' recruiting gem. Bugg was very good too.

Wish Melksham didn't get rubbed.

On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 4:40 PM, TheoX said:

Go check out his write up on Toumpas.

Found it funny that Adam Oxley's been tweeting he's looking forward to playing against BK his good mate on Queen's birthday, BK will likely be playing at Casey so jokes on him.

On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 9:21 AM, TheoX said:

Very unexcited that we headhunted a fringe player. Nice to see he thinks he can make an impact, but if he thinks he's come here for more opportunity and will waltz into the side, I hope he has to earn it well and truly at Casey,

On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 5:50 PM, TheoX said:

Good luck to him, but he's a VFL standard player.

You have been a constant basher on Kennedy right from the moment he walked through the door.

Its fair to say he was one of our top 5 best players and set up 5 goals just from smarts and clss.

Surely he deserves bit of praise from yourself?

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Kennedy looks to me like the second coming of Benny McGlynn. Quite a handy player to have.

Agreed, he's a very underrated one on one player, i don't remember seeing him lose a genuine one on one contest, has the Speed and hardness to compete with just about anyone.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Mach5 said:

Kennedy looks to me like the second coming of Benny McGlynn. Quite a handy player to have.

Quite topical over Easter weekend 

He was a real livewire - in another thread I asked where do we get goal assist / contribution stats.  I reckon he had a hand in four or five. 

Edited by monoccular

21 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

You have been a constant basher on Kennedy right from the moment he walked through the door.

Its fair to say he was one of our top 5 best players and set up 5 goals just from smarts and clss.

Surely he deserves bit of praise from yourself?

Yep, based on the first game I'm wrong as. He was great on the weekend, hope he can keep it up for the season. Nice work keeping track of all my posts haha.

Edited by TheoX
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, TheoX said:

Yep, based on the first game I'm wrong as. He was great on the weekend, hope he can keep it up for the season. Nice work keeping track of all my posts haha.

haha sorry mate it did give me a giggle. Don't worry i have had my fair share of humble pie with Jack Watts!

• Like 1