Colin Sylvia

Bobby McKenzie

He wasnt the sharpest tool in the shed right?

Wasnt he a big one for getting his hair done? Not pat Malone there in modern footy but I suggest a dull egotist in the limelight with a struggling club. Not likely to result in acts of selfless teamwork or have the emotional intelligence to succeed

Unless someone is going to suggest we keep a rookie list spot open for him, I think it might be time to close the thread.

Nothing new, informative or even constructive coming out anymore.

Only if he has a good preseason

• Like 2

Sylvia had the talent to be one of the current greats of the game. Too bad his work ethic was the inverse of his talent.

I heard David Parkin (closet Dee's supporter) on radio a few years ago refer to Col as Melbourne's only A grade player (I thought that was going a little far).

I worry for ex players like Sylvia, hope he hasn't spent all the money he's earned.

An acquaintance of mine knows Colin very well. He has told me over a number of years, that he is a lovely bloke, considerate and respectful of others. This is consistent with other comments about meeting him at off field events.

He has decided to retire which is probably a sensible decision. His career at Freo did not work out. In this case, the irony is that he went from a very poor football club to a very good one. He may not have worked hard enough, however, he was up against it when you look at Freo's list. At Melbourne we seem to have turned the corner and we are seeing some guys who were getting games who are now struggling because of the improved list.

However, for many years Col was a loyal Melbourne man during the desperate years of failure of the club on and off the field. He like many others over the years failed to live up to his potential. Perhaps as others say he was a lazy footballer or to put it more kindly, did not work hard enough. However, he is not on his Pat Malone. There were many others in that stable of underachievement. However, does that make if okay to pass snide or contemptuous comments about him. He has already achieved more than most on the sporting field. He has failings like anyone. What satisfaction is there in pointing these out. I don't get it. Would some of the posters on this site make these criticisms to his face. I suspect not. We should congratulate him on his footy career and wish him well.

I would say that your comments are exactly why he was never successful. Lots of people telling him he was talented as a junior. Never being brought into line etc etc. Col was drinking his own bathwater for way too long.

Maybe ppl are frustrated because they wish they had as much talent as Col had in his big toe. Had a great opportunity at Freo and because of his pizz poor attitude was turfed by a club that wont suffer fools or poor workers.

Its our fault we tolerated such a poor football club for a long time but I still have lots of angst against Col because he is one of the reasons we are a failure over the past 10 yrs.

You say we should celebrate his achievements? What exactly would they be? Celebrate the fact he was lucky enough to land at Melbourne where they were stupid enough to keep him on the list for 10 years. Yeah, well done Col.

Its not his fault he played for 10yrs but its his fault he never finished inside the top 5 in the B&F - a real measure of worth at a footy club. Should have been a club champion.

• Like 2

Sylvia had the talent to be one of the current greats of the game. Too bad his work ethic was the inverse of his talent.

No he didn't.

Poor hands, not a great decision maker especially in congestion.

Good half forward at his absolute best.

• Like 2

Col is playing for Templestowe this week

Eastern Footy League Divvy 3

Ironically they wear Freo colours

He's agreed to play three games up here in Mildura at his home club Merbein later this year as well. A few boys are already working on a bit of lip.

He's agreed to play three games up here in Mildura at his home club Merbein later this year as well. A few boys are already working on a bit of lip.

Ive noticed Dom Barry and Richard Tambling playing in the NT comp, still putrid players.

Whens Cols bday ?

Can we make that the only day we talk about self serving hacks ...same goes for any other. Give'm one day of oxygen for they've had more than enough money and pixels otherwise.

Honestly who t f gives one about some plodding suburban player. I just dont care about has beens that never were.

Maybe we need a whole new board for these NQRs and such.

As much as Watts frustrates the livibg life out of me id buy him a beer. Col is an affront to the jumper. Took money under false pretences.

I hope we welcome back Col at some stage, demon through and through, and I love seeing ex players come back to the club for functions.

Absolutely agree. I'm of the opinion that Col probably had less talent and got more out of himself than most believe.

Either way he is one of ours and should be welcomed back to the club as any 150+ game player should be

• Like 2

You think he would get a game @ haw, Syd, Geel (, freo we no the answer) I wander if he would have played 150 games with those clubs???

The thought of some posters wanting him back @ our club ..Honestly Roos is trying to create a culture not sent it backwards!

• Like 1

I won't have it college could play acnd he was not lazy on game day, he chased ha tackled hard you wouldn't see many missed tackles when college got a hold of them he tackled them, he went to the wrong club. But anyway its no point in arguing, wish the man well.

• 5 weeks later...