Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Colin Sylvia

Bobby McKenzie

Reading today's West Australian, I read that Colin is battling to win a place in the strong Dockers team. Apparently his disposal in a weekend practice match was poor and he has been told he needs to produce a greater work rate. Maybe, just maybe Michie might be a perfect swap for us. I guess time will tell. Having said that, I hope Colin does make the grade and have some team success. He has earned it.

I loved Sylvia and wanted him to succeed, but if was clear a long time ago, Colin played when he could be bothered and that became ingrained and we did not have strong enough coaches or captains to make him lift or drop him.

I no longer card about Sylvia and I hate Freo, I hope they lose every game.

• Like 5

Reading today's West Australian, I read that Colin is battling to win a place in the strong Dockers team. Apparently his disposal in a weekend practice match was poor and he has been told he needs to produce a greater work rate. Maybe, just maybe Michie might be a perfect swap for us. I guess time will tell. Having said that, I hope Colin does make the grade and have some team success. He has earned it.

Vince is the swap for the pick we got for Colin. Michie was secured for a low draft pick.

• Like 5

Don't understand why we wish these guys well when they leave. I hate seeing guys ditch us for other clubs, and might be harsh, but I wish them no team success. Unlikely, but I want those guys to look back and realise leaving was a terrible decision.

Except players who are delisted e.g. Brad Miller

Edited by Forest Demon
  • Like 10

Don't understand why we wish these guys well when they leave. I hate seeing guys ditch us for other clubs, and might be harsh, but I wish them no team success. Unlikely, but I want those guys to look back and realise leaving was a terrible decision.

Couldn't agree more FD.

Col left after Roos had arrived. He was in PR's plans.

He walks after the club had made changes.

He will regret it, but i think the club is better off. Coll has talent but not that burning desire to succeed.

WAFL could beckon.

Sounds like he hasn't learned a D*3n thing

I'm so happy not to have to watch this serial underperformer ever again.

I am looking forward to all the newbies in the team who will want to have a go, work hard and achieve.

Agree.

Everytime I see Moloney and Rivers play, I hope they stuff up and anger their fans (I admit Moloney was more than serviceable for Brisbane last year and Rivers was very useful last night and late last year)

On the other hand we can't really have a crack at blokes like Petterd and Bennell who were delisted.

On a side note, it's quite amazing we delisted Petterd but offered list cloggers in Nicho and Bail 2 year extensions at the same time. Bizzare list management.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell

you must be f*%#ing kidding

another bloody Sylvia thread

move on people.

who gives a flying...honeslty.. i dont

• Like 2

Sylvia might have a few regrets. After all, he was an alpha wolf at Melbourne. Whereas it now sounds as though he's a delta wolf at Freo - and that can't be good for the ego.

Bennell's the one I will be watching though. Reckon he could've been great for us under Roos running off half back.

• Like 2

Can't be a coincidence that so many highly-touted youngsters have come into the club, only to leave, end up somewhere else, and struggle for a number of reasons.

I have no doubt that some of it is on him, but much of the blame must also be placed firmly on the club, especially after the last two years.

I said this in a previous thread.

Col (not this one) is around blokes just as talented but who work 3 times as hard. It's why they make grand finals and he has hasn't been to September in 8 years.
He is also in a pickle as he can't blame the coach for being 'mean' as the playing group will take Ross Lyon's side.

Sometimes a bloke just has to ask: 'was what people saying about me actually true?' I don't know if Colin will ever ask that question to himself.
Career after football: Toolie at Schoolies on the Gold Coast.

Rivers was terrific last night. A sad loss.

You're joking right?

A loss which meant that Garland and Tommy Mac could step up, made room for Terlich and combined with Grimes this year will make a pretty formidable defense.

Only thing he would have done is clog to the list with injury like he did to Geelongs.

• Like 1

move on people.

Then don't post.

I actually hope Lyon is able to provide Sylvia the leadership and kick up the bum he never got at Melbourne and he is able to get the best out of himself in the twilight of his career. He could be a very good player if his application was as good as his natural talent and being a follower of Australian Football as well as the MFC I want to see guys like this get the best out of themselves. I also wouldn't mind seeing Freo do well next year as I think they are a great disciplined unit who also have the flair to be entertaining.

The fact that Sylvia was an automatic selection and probably our 2nd best mid behind Jones yet is struggling for a guernsey at Freo shows just how behind the best teams we really are and the culture change required to get to the top, not just thereabouts. I'm sure most of us are already too well aware of this fact but when presented with real examples the evidence is stark.

• Like 3

His own worst enemy. Will many MFC fans hold Colin Sylvia in high regard? I doubt it.

I don't care how he goes at Freo to be honest. If he does well, good luck to him. I'm just glad we don't have to go through another season wondering if this is going to be his year.

• Like 2

move on people.

I can never for the life of me understand these responses.

It's as if you're saying you have no choice in reading or responding to any thread on this forum.

Knick off if there's a topic you don't like. How hard is it, really?

As for Sylvia, it was always going to be the case when he got to Freo. The guy has formed lazy habits, partly thanks to our club.

He's never had a coach who was able to really wake him up, and if Ross can't to some extent, then I don't know what to say..

Anyway, I hope this gives some insight into how players are shaped by their environment. Watch Viv this Friday night and take a look at his work rate and concentration levels. I won't care about numbers at this stage, I just want to see him working hard and playing hard, team first footy with intensity. He'll bring it in bucket-loads if we're comparing him to Sylvia.

And it's because he's had it drilled into him at Freo when he couldn't crack a game.

• Like 3

A good thread it shows that other teams dont tolerate half measures and we did. I had always hoped Col would wake up and use his talents but it seems he never will.

I am now very glad he left.

• Like 2

I don't have the time or energy to wish ill-will to players who leave our club.

Rivers left our club for an opportunity to play finals in his remaining seasons and gave us good service for many years - good luck to him. Petterd was axed and to a certain extent was cruelled by injuries with us so if he succeeds at Richmond - good luck to him

Sylvia was a perennial under performer and Moloney had a dummy spit in his last season under Neeld - to them I say - Meh

• Like 3

The biggest revelation with Sylvia is the blokes just not much good.

Can't win a clearance

Isn't a reliable kick

Isn't a natural spread and run player

What he can be is a tough match up as he's got good burst speed, strength and over head marking. And he can tackle. He's a back up midfielder and flanker trying to find he's way in a new team playing a hard system to learn.

Let's leave the deep analysis of his Melbourne career in the past.

Sylvia leaving allowed us to get Vince. If Cross, Tyson, Michie and Riley can provide the help to Viney and Jones in the grunt work then Vince will be of much more use to us than Sylvia would've been.

• Like 4

Can't win a clearance

Isn't a reliable kick

What he can be is a tough match up as he's got good burst speed, strength and over head marking. And he can tackle. He's a back up midfielder and flanker trying to find he's way in a new team playing a hard system to learn.

Sylvia leaving allowed us to get Vince. If Cross, Tyson, Michie and Riley can provide the help to Viney and Jones in the grunt work then Vince will be of much more use to us than Sylvia would've been.

I think you have nailed it tm.

However I cannot believe we are still talking about him, 23 comments and I just made it 24.

Sometimes I wonder about myself!

Can't win a clearance

Isn't a reliable kick

...and that's the point 'master', totally agree with you. Col played to his potential at Melbourne, he just didn't have the talent many here think.

To your list I would add he has no peripheral vision or awareness which is an absolute must if you need to make it as mid.

• Like 1