Lucas Cook

e25

The sad thing is that photo of Lucas is nearly what he looks like now.

Just didn't develop his body at all .... Might be just one of those skinny builds that doesn't fill out. Not Lucas's fault but poor recruiting in my mind. We needed a monster so as Dennis Cometti put it "we've drafted to many weak reids."

We're moving on ,aren't we guys?

Lets hope we got a few right this time.

Some Lower value picks like Howe may surprise us and make up for these errors.

All clubs make them.

you cant always pick a Flower from the WEEDS.

• Like 2

The comments praising Cook are, in retrospect, embarrassing: "elite tank", "beautiful kick" , comparing him to J.Brown and Pavlich, definitely worth picking ahead of Darling, etc etc.

Shows how easy it is to get caught up in the excitement of the moment when new players arrive. And not just draft picks. Everyone was really excited when Heffernan, Holland, Moorcoft and Pickett joined, to name just a few of many dud trades.

Oops.

Let's hope 2-3 years someone doesn't bump the Welcome Hogan thread for the same reason.

He might still have an elite tank (although he's been injured throughout preseason) and a beautiful kick but neither of those attributes are super vital alone to playing CHF where you need strong mark, physical and reads the play. I'd keep him for a defender if we didn't have an overload of players doing the same thing - Watts, Selllar, Dunn, McDonald.

• Like 1

WTF happened to Cook??

Just not good enough regardless of pick number

Harsh reminder:

• The average AFL player's career is around 3 years - and most get drafted around 18 - so game over at 21.
  • No such thing as a free lunch. If your not good enough cya later, its a competitive profession not a charity.

Really sad looking at this...

Edited by PJ_12345

The comments praising Cook are, in retrospect, embarrassing: "elite tank", "beautiful kick" , comparing him to J.Brown and Pavlich, definitely worth picking ahead of Darling, etc etc.

Shows how easy it is to get caught up in the excitement of the moment when new players arrive. And not just draft picks. Everyone was really excited when Heffernan, Holland, Moorcoft and Pickett joined, to name just a few of many dud trades.

Oops.

Let's hope 2-3 years someone doesn't bump the Welcome Hogan thread for the same reason.

No they weren't.

Cook was a disaster and I just cannot see what they actually saw in him and wtf they drafted him. It was evident early in his pre season that he didn't have what it takes and a few of us realised it; others were just waiting for him to develop some talent which was never going to happen. I'm absolutely spewing they didn't draft Darling or Atley; I actually didn't expect them to draft Darling because of the publicity but was stoked when Atley was still there and stunned when they didn't call his name.

• Like 2

He might still have an elite tank (although he's been injured throughout preseason) and a beautiful kick but neither of those attributes are super vital alone to playing CHF where you need strong mark, physical and reads the play. I'd keep him for a defender if we didn't have an overload of players doing the same thing - Watts, Selllar, Dunn, McDonald.

Exactly which is where the "best available" philosophy falls down.

"Best available" what exactly.

The Cook debacle further highlights the nonsense of drafting players based on running and kicking skills exhibited at draft camp.

If you can't actually find the football, it doesn't matter how well you use it. And running ability is only an asset if you run to the right places.

Same applies to Tapscott, Bennell, Strauss and most of our draft picks from the past five years.

A lot of people are claiming this but im not sure he does.

What where looking for is a big lump of a lad who will provide a contest deep in the forward line and also crash packs and take strong pack marks. I no it sounds like a lot but when i watch these clips i take particular notice to pack marks and being strong overhead. Im not having a crack at Cook at all but besides his height he looks to be a player that is a lead up forward like Watts, Pettered, Jurrah, Dunn etc.

Hopefully over the next few pre seasons his body developes and he adds on a big frame and proves me wrong.

I love seeing this, Carn Dees hit the nail on the head back in 2010.

Sorry, of course I don't love it. I would of preferred to see the kid succeed, but I just find it amazing he hit the nail on the head.

• Like 1

The sad thing is that photo of Lucas is nearly what he looks like now.

Just didn't develop his body at all .... Might be just one of those skinny builds that doesn't fill out. Not Lucas's fault but poor recruiting in my mind. We needed a monster so as Dennis Cometti put it "we've drafted to many weak reids."

Weak reeds. I wouldn't mind a couple of Reids, but.

• Like 1

I don't remember being excited by any of those trades.

In fact, I can remember being distinctly unimpressed by some.

I don't remember being excited by any of those trades.

In fact, I can remember being distinctly unimpressed by some.

Agree. There was lots of criticism about each selection. Only Holland ended up a bare pass.

Exactly which is where the "best available" philosophy falls down.

"Best available" what exactly.

Not if is the best available player. At this stage it appears as though MFC wasted the pick.

If Cook gets delisted and goes onto succeed at another club then questions can rightly be asked about list management and player development at MFC.

I believe Cook has been told he's gone, however no other delisting have been made and thus all are still training with squad. Dawes unlikely to join up until end of trade and free agency period or around late October.

• 1 month later...

Returning to the VFL with North Ballarat next year according to twitter. Unless someone grabs him in the rookie draft tomorrow... So much for his manager talking up his prospects when he was delisted. Unless Barry had had a word in Mick's ear that is...

was stoked when Atley was still there and stunned when they didn't call his name.

Oh, the pain! I can still remember my excitement that night when I thought SA had fallen to us, then - WTF, who's Lucas Cook???

Every time we've played North since, I've suffered.

• Like 1

Why is this being posted after his delisting?