POSTGAME: Rd 08 vs Geelong

41 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

Tom Stewart had little impact - did Turner play a defensive role on him? Tom Stewart having a mediocre game is a coaching triumph in itself. 

Yep, when TS plays well the media bang on relentlessly and when he doesn't they say Nothing

• Like 2
  • Angry 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, layzie said:

Can't wait to hit the night clubs and do the Fritta dribbler 

We need all the radio calls posted here of the Fritta dribbler. 

Edited by Dee Zephyr
  • Like 5
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, ElDiablo14 said:

It's very simple really, if you can't win in September you are not a contender 🤷🏻‍♂️. My personal opinion.

Contender:  noun 

a person or group competing with others to achieve something: a presidential contender | the major contenders in the football championship.

I'm basing my opinion on the dictionary. You can be a contender and not win.  Now if you are interpreting it as a team which has a good chance of winning rather than just making up the numbers, my opinion is that losing by a combined total of a few points made us a "contender".   

Edited by sue
  • Like 3

What's happened to Viney did a lot of unrewarded tough stuff as usual  tackled the [censored] out of them

Melbourne Match Statistics (Sorted by Disposals) Coach: Simon Goodwin  

Player K HB D M G B T HO GA I50 CL CG R50 FF FA AF SC
Clayton Oliver 15 16 31 7 0 0 4 0 1 4 4 4 3 4 4 106 141
Steven May 22 3 25 13 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 2 9 0 0 111 131
Jake Lever 18 6 24 8 0 0 2 0 0 2 0 2 6 1 1 96 118
Christian Petracca 11 10 21 3 0 2 4 0 2 8 3 3 0 0 1 77 94
Ed Langdon 15 6 21 7 1 1 1 0 0 2 0 3 1 0 1 86 85
Judd McVee 13 8 21 4 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 4 0 0 71 87
Jack Viney 15 4 19 3 0 0 6 0 0 4 7 8 1 3 1 86 78
Caleb Windsor 11 7 18 6 1 2 6 0 1 3 1 2 1 2 0 99 118
Max Gawn 11 5 16 7 1 1 1 20 0 2 5 4 1 0 1 92 111
Alex N-Bullen 8 8 16 1 0 1 6 0 0 2 2 5 1 2 1 67 68
Tom Sparrow 14 2 16 5 0 0 5 0 0 3 2 3 1 1 0 82 78
Kysaiah Pickett 11 3 14 4 2 2 3 0 0 2 1 4 0 0 0 77 72
Trent Rivers 12 2 14 5 0 0 1 0 1 4 0 2 1 0 0 59 54
Harrison Petty 9 4 13 9 1 1 2 2 0 3 0 2 0 1 1 77 79
Tom McDonald 9 3 12 7 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 4 1 0 55 75
Jack Billings 11 1 12 4 0 0 3 0 1 3 0 3 1 0 1 56 48
Bayley Fritsch 8 4 12 6 3 1 0 0 0 2 0 5 1 0 1 66 70
Taj Woewodin 9 3 12 4 0 0 1 0 0 2 1 1 2 0 0 49 48
Blake Howes 7 2 9 4 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 0 3 1 0 50 48
Jacob Van Rooyen 4 3 7 3 0 2 0 2 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 32 24
Kade Chandler 6 0 6 4 1 0 5 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 56 52
Daniel Turner 2 3 5 3 0 0 1 0 0 2 0 1 0 0 1 22 20
Bailey Laurie 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 2 3

Track your favourite Fantasy Players!
peep2.png
Create and save your own custom list of Supercoach or AFL Fantasy players to track their stats!
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

Tom McDonald will find himself wearing a Norf Melbourne jumper next season, helping out their young defence should we not re-sign him (sentences I'd never thought I'd type) 

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

11 hours ago, Stretch Johnson said:

Been a while since I enjoyed a win that much.

Was sitting with a mate in GA M2 and gave it to the usual Geelong peanuts who stir the pot behind there.

Enormously entertaining.

Had a couple frothing at the mouth.  Anyone else there?

My favourite moment was when Henry had his goal over turned, the whole crowd gave it back to them in spades

• Like 6
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 3

Just now, Gawndy the Great said:

I loved Windsors goal. Big moment and he missed a sitter earlier. He went and actually kicked through it and split the middle.

An 18 year old kid that plays with the nerves of a player in his prime.

The way he was fended off by his opponent and then chased him back down in about 4 steps was incredible. Set the win up for us.

It was such a great steadying goal.

So many great youngsters in the team.

• Like 9
  • Clap 5

Posted (edited)
43 minutes ago, sue said:

why?

Why should he take glib asides about access to his short term memory after a hit to the head to a broadcaster directly after a game out of his witty repertoire?

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

Edited by rpfc
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Biffen said:

Back six won us the game.

And the tackles.

Mids were beaten apart from Max who lifted after a massive knee to the head which went unnoticed by the umpires.

Horrible analysis. 

• Like 2

How does the hit to the head of Gawn not become a free kick? There are four umpires out there and they still get it wrong.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Angry 1

11 hours ago, BoBo said:

We’re in the hunt for the premiership. Make no bones about it. We’re a top 4 team. 

I thought Geelong would beat us tonight and I am bloody wrapped how wrong I was. 

we are fixing our forward issues and there was clear evidence in that game. 

Petty getting the cobwebs off.

[censored] bring on the blues and let’s see how they like us this year. 

Full confidence is back

When Jvr starts holding all his ( he was ok) we will be even harder to shut down.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Last night was special, the second half was unbelievable. So proud of these boys and their effort was incredible. 
The atmosphere was electric and still buzzing ❤️💙

Edited by jules7
  • Like 8

32 minutes ago, adonski said:

Tom McDonald will find himself wearing a Norf Melbourne jumper next season, helping out their young defence should we not re-sign him (sentences I'd never thought I'd type) 

They can pay tomlinson 800k a year and give us band 1 compo.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

14 minutes ago, Binmans PA said:

Horrible analysis. 

I thought our midfield did well with the centre clearances but in the first half we're not that imposing.

In the second Tracca shook off his tagger, Viney tackled like a machine and Clarry was a first class ball magnet.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

Full confidence is back

When Jvr starts holding all his ( he was ok) we will be even harder to shut down.

I am sceptical of JVR. Having said that I looked at his game time and he spent barely  50 % of the game playing in the forward line. Is performance as a ruckman is average at best. The best I can say is he provides a contest as a ruckman. However there is no one to replace him so it is best to keep playing him and hope he develops further. 

• Facepalm 3

Loved the first half, we were like a boa constrictor on its prey. Fantastic pressure, finals like pressure. This side is good, very good.

Five kids under ten games, wow!

Go Dees!

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, old dee said:

I am sceptical of JVR. Having said that I looked at his game time and he spent barely  50 % of the game playing in the forward line. Is performance as a ruckman is average at best. The best I can say is he provides a contest as a ruckman. However there is no one to replace him so it is best to keep playing him and hope he develops further. 

Just a baby in the context of the position he is asked to play and has averaged over a goal per match so far this year not playing as a permanent forward 

I really think you’re being a bit hard on him - he has in spades what many have not offered before him - courage and aggression which are fantastic qualities that are very important if you’re going to succeed at this level 

He will only get better with more games and building his footy IQ

Hawkins hasn’t kicked a goal in 4 weeks playing as a stay at home FF - so JVR is doing just fine 

• Like 10
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)

Normally like the way Chris Scott analyses a game in a presser but he straight up just said they were off tonight and none of their players would be happy with their individual performances etc… 

No acknowledgment of our pressure or movement which stifled them. 

This is in stark contrast to how Goodie conducts himself in a loss even if the whole team is crook or walking wounded he gives his kudos straight away to the opposition and says the better team won on the night. 

Just an observation that irked me. Suck eggs Scott, suck eggs Geelong. 

Edited by piddz
  • Like 16
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, piddz said:

Normally like the way Chris Scott analyses a game in a presser but he straight up just said they were off tonight and none of their players would be happy with their individual performances etc… 

No acknowledgment of our pressure or movement which stifled them. 

This is in stark contrast to how Goodie conducts himself in a loss even if the whole team is crook or walking wounded he gives his kudos straight away to the opposition and says the better team won on the night. 

Just an observation that irked me. Suck eggs Scott, suck eggs Geelong. 

I have never seen Scott give any credit to the opposition. If he said it was day time I would go out and check. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, darkhorse72 said:

I agree with him for out team 5-2 ism good enough, we should have been 6-1 (Sydney were good) I take it saying with our talent, we should be at the top and we needed to show it tonight and we did.  Go Dees. 

Sorry, but that's a complete load of bollocks.

5-2 not good enough when 2 of those games were against Port and crows at Adelaide oval, the latter off a five day break?

And one was against the swans at the scg, which is worth 2 goals to them given how well they play there (particularly defensively) and in slippery conditions? 

I mean on the same ground yesterday, in much the same conditions, the much vaunted orange tsunami turned into a wavelet and they got smashed.

So 5-2 with 3 difficult interstate games and a horrendous schedule is not good enough?

On brererton, I'd love to ask his view on the giants given they have already lost to two contenders - not good enough?

Or his views on the blues who were 5-2 before the round - not good enough?

And now 5-3 - gone?

Port were also 5-2 before the round- not good enough?

Now 5 -3 - gone?

What about the cats derm?

They have only beaten ONE team in the 8 - the blues (who just got beaten by the pies for the same reason the cats beat them - they are suspect defensively this season).

The cat's other 6 wins are against teams outside the 8, including the winless roos and hapless hawks. 

Cats not good enough derm? 

Edited by binman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 5
  • Shocked 2

10 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

Our defence is a strong as ever. Our midfield is not as powerful as it was in 2021, nor our attack anywhere near as potent.

Weve been found wanting in our forward line the past 2 finals campaigns. If that starts to click and our midfield stays fresh, we’re as good a shot as any. But it’s a long season, with many twists and turns to come. There is also luck which cannot be controlled.

Disagree about our attack. Particularly based off last night's game. People seem to only remember the finals series when we clicked. All the way through the H&A season we did what we needed to score wise, but weren't huge scorers.

Our entires pretty much all night were superb. In the first half when the game had less fatigue in it, we shifted and moved rhe ball patiently inside 50 and really showed up their defence.

Notwithstanding the mitigating factors of post finals exits, which has become a huge misnomer IMO - 2022 most of our guys were banged up, Trac played with a broken leg etc, 2022 we had a piecemeal forwardline due to constant injury, Petty,  then Melksham, and missing Fritta for important games - we're not playing the same way at all as previous years.

Not only do we play a much deeper zone, we've changed emphasis on clearance and ground ball, to rebound 50s and playing fast. And the way we played keepings off at half back last night for all of the first half until the game opened up with fatigue, is not even remotely Melbourne under Goodwin. We've been very much a long down the line team. 

We're not a finished product yet, but we're not even half way through the season yet.

Having been at the game and then watching the replay when I got home, that is the best I've seen us move the ball. We're getting there, but it really is a significant change to the way we play the game.

• Like 15