Harry Petty Out for 4-6 Weeks

John Crow Batty

14 minutes ago, dieter said:

I feel much genuine sorrow for T.Petty, but Tomlinson was a major part of the Demon winning streak before he was injured. He is busting to play in a Premiership side.

Agree.  Taking the ground in Rd 1 when we unveil the flag should be a nice feeling for Tommo too.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

• Demonland changed the title to Harry Petty Out for 4-6 Weeks
3 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The Dogs don't have an overly tall forward line and GC without King in round 2 so we may be able to go with May, Lever, Salem, Rivers, Hunt, Bowey & Hibberd if Tomlinson isn't ready yet.

I reckon they will look to exploit this injury big time. Schache, JUH, Naughton and probably a ruck rotating through. Obviously all depends on there form, but the point is that the dogs can definitely go tall, so if Tommo isn’t ready we gonna have to look at J Smith. 

Still plenty of water to flow under the bridge. 

Easy to forget how good Tomlinson was for the first half a dozen or so games last year. Aerially Petty was brilliant last season but Tomlinson is also great with the run and carry.

Shame for Harry to have such a strange injury but he'll get his opportunities again.

• Like 8

5 hours ago, dl4e said:

I would have J Smith ahead of Tomlinson. Having Petty out is a big loss but some more losses of personnel than last year is to be expected. 

Why ? Tommo if fit enough after his 2 practice games is more like for like and is the heir apparent as the 3rd tall:

Joel Played reasonably  well at the end of the year but his synergy and footy smarts still need honing on to be a more complete player.

I think this could be Joel's best year if he can keep his body fit but Tommo appeals for Round 1 on all fronts. 

• Like 2

He's young and will bounce back I'm sure

We have great options to cover his injury. Would love to see Thommo get the nod (if fit). He was outstanding until injured last year (iirc he held Hawkins to one goal in our early season clash with the Cats)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

A few of us might be forgetting how well Tommo was playing at full back last year. He was seen as a significant loss at the time. If fit and ready he will play for sure

credit to him and the medical team. It’s only been ~9 months since he did his knee??

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, DubDee said:

A few of us might be forgetting how well Tommo was playing at full back last year. He was seen as a significant loss at the time. If fit and ready he will play for sure

credit to him and the medical team. It’s only been ~9 months since he did his knee??

Tommo was terrific. Reliable, strong one on one, a terrific kick and a key part of the structure and system in the first third of the season.

But i reckon it is important to note that he and Petty played pretty different roles. Tommo was really much more a lock down defender that played tight man on man. More often that not he was also the deepest player in the goal keeper role that Omac played. 

With Petty in the team, the structure is much more fluid, with May often being the deepest, but Petty also rolling back into that slot, and less frequently Lever too.

As result Petty gets up the ground more than Tommo did. And Lever, Petty and May swap opponents more often than was the case with Tommo in the team.

But the big difference is Petty was much more offensive than Tommo, much more likely to zone off his man and of most significance much more likely to take intercept marks.  

I suspect they will want to replicate that same system (ie the one with Petty in the team). Tommo might be able to play in a similar fashion to Petty, so he might slot straight in, but i wonder if they might go with Smith.

Where that would leave Tommo i'm not sure, but i have little doubt Petty will come straight back in once he is ready to go, so perhaps they are better to find another role for Thommo anyway.

Edited by binman
  • Like 8

I wouldn't be surprised if they go with Smith. Have heard that he was very close to being sub in the GF incase May's hamstring went but Smith was coming back from a hammy as well so it was too much of risk.

Having said that Tommo wasn't available so I guess we will see round 1.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, binman said:

Tommo was terrific. Reliable, strong one on one, a terrific kick and a key part of the structure and system in the first third of the season.

But i reckon it is important to note that he and Petty played pretty different roles. Tommo was really much more a lock down defender that played tight man on man. More often that not he was also the deepest player in the goal keeper role that Omac played. 

With Petty in the team, the structure is much more fluid, with May often being the deepest, but Petty also rolling back into that slot, and less frequently Lever too.

As result Petty gets up the ground more than Tommo did. And Lever, Petty and May swap opponents more often than was the case with Tommo in the team.

But the big difference is Petty was much more offensive than Tommo, much more likely to zone off his man and of most significance much more likely to take intercept marks.  

I suspect they will want to replicate that same system (ie the one with Petty in the team). Tommo might be able to play in a similar fashion to Petty, so he might slot straight in, but i wonder if they might go with Smith.

Where that would leave Tommo i'm not sure, but i have little doubt Petty will come straight back in once he is ready to go, so perhaps they are better to find another role for Thommo anyway.

Before I reading this I would’ve said Petty was arguably the most replaceable player in the Premiership side aside from say Sparrow. Perhaps not after all.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

16 minutes ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Before I reading this I would’ve said Petty was arguably the most replaceable player in the Premiership side aside from say Sparrow. Perhaps not after all.

Sparrow was central to 4 goals in the Grand Final. I think he has become a first choice player.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

Sparrow was central to 4 goals in the Grand Final. I think he has become a first choice player.

100% Agreed 

Tom Sparrow will be an absolute gun. His Final Series was First Class

Edited by Sir Why You Little
  • Like 5
  • Love 1