GAMEDAY: QF vs Collingwood

Demonland

1 minute ago, whatwhat say what said:

i know / realise that noble's kicking hasn't been the best in the past few weeks

but he's played in the last 80-plus games in a row for them

it's a significant change to their backline

hoping it upsets their balance

Wouldn't surprise me at all if Noble is a late inclusion for one of the ruckmen should the predicted wet weather arrive before gametime.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

They might be able to quell one of that magnificent trio to an extent, but another Jack-in-the-box like Guss, Rivers, Sparrow or Kossie is likely to be injected into the midfield to cause some chaos.

In particular, I think Tommy Sparrow is another of those 'built for finals' types we have.

With Tommy Mac back in the team and Hibberd down back to play the third tall(ish) defender role, I also think the conditions are primed for Joel Smith to play that defensive forward role that Melksham was playing.  He's a great contested mark and I think it would absolutely suit him to have his opponent take him to the ball.  Once it hits the ground, he's got some of the best jets in the game and a great defensive mindset and tackling technique  to stop the fast rebound.

Absolutely, absolutely, fully agree, these are the supports to which I was referring rather than mentioning; the role that could be played by JSmith is going to be our secret weapon up forward, doing all of the turning for TMac, turning on the respective jets and taking his entitlement of marks in his own right. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I'm  expecting him to hit full beast mode in finals.  Underrated, but highly valuable impact type player.

Beast mode - suits him. Put him on deGoo-ey.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Demon Jack said:

This feels too real now. I barely slept at all last night.

Here's some great pump-up material I found on YouTube at 2:30 this morning.

Geeze that's a ripper of a pump up.

Got a feeling my man Viney is going to rip this game to shreds.

Soooo 😭😭😭😭 I'm not going to be there, stupid old body heal faster!

But remember all, live in the now, stay focused on being present and enjoying it.

Edited by AzzKikA
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

It's great reading the optimism in this thread - shows we see ourselves as real, legit contenders. The mindset has changed and hatsoff to the D's (both AFL and AFLW)  players and all others involved in making this so. Been waiting for this all my life - Go Demonsssssssss!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Despite the rain that might come and despite what we're hearing, Grundy might be the sub as insurance.  So if something happens to Max, we're covered

It's not like the other 3 emergencies are game breakers or vital to the cause

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Winners at last said:

Not as much as me ...

No one can hate them more than I do.

Can't wait to see how many "I hate the filth more than you" replies come.

Edited by AzzKikA

7 minutes ago, Macca said:

Despite the rain that might come and despite what we're hearing, Grundy might be the sub as insurance.  So if something happens to Max, we're covered

Firstly, Laurie was vital as a sub in our comeback win against the Swans. And if Grundy was a "game breaker or vital to the cause" he'd be in the team. 

Laurie deserves to be sub, but if not, JJ will get the gig. Grundy is the least likely to be the sub. 

• Like 1

Sportsbet odds have come in even further this morning. 

Collingwood paying $1.88 and Melbourne paying $1.92.

It's very likely they're even come the bounce of the ball.

I've been a little nervous over the past week or so, but can't figure out whether it's more excitement or dread.

I think my nerves will start to ramp up between 5-7pm, and my stomach will churn for probably the entire game.

If we get our game right, we should win, but if we allow them to move the ball from half back and we're not on the entire night, I think they'll get us.

Edited by Binmans PA

17 minutes ago, Macca said:

i would doubt that grundy will be sub

we'll know 90 mins before the bounce

48 minutes ago, Demonland said:

I've been refreshing the weather apps all morning.

Good news for those with allergies. The Dust & Dander levels are LOW.

Maybe ... but a large gathering of filth supporters at the G will ensure dangerous levels of various bacteria and poxes. A face mask might be a reasonable precaution.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Bitter but optimistic said:

Maybe ... but a large gathering of filth supporters at the G will ensure dangerous levels of various bacteria and poxes. A face mask might be a reasonable precaution.

Military grade of course.

image.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, mo64 said:

Firstly, Laurie was vital as a sub in our comeback win against the Swans. And if Grundy was a "game breaker or vital to the cause" he'd be in the team. 

Laurie deserves to be sub, but if not, JJ will get the gig. Grundy is the least likely to be the sub.

Laurie will be lucky to get on the ground before 3/4 time and it's difficult to impact games in those circumstances

And as for being a game-breaker, that doesn't include Grundy either

But for insurance, Grundy is easily the best option especially if something happens to Max

We've got at least 10 players that can run through the midfield, why do we need 10.25 midfielders? 

And we've only got 1 ruckman

It's important to note that we're not talking about a starting 22 player.  The chances are our sub won't be on the ground until the last quarter

So using Grundy as insurance is a logical decision, not left field

• Like 1

Looking at the 2021 GF team as the benchmark we are going in shorter to the QF.  We have 5 personnel changes and matching them up: JVR for Brown, Smith for Jackson, Chandler for Spargo, Hunter for Harmes and McVee for Petty.  It's this last one that signifies the change, but with wet weather forecast and still having 6 marking "talls" (May, Lever, Smith, JVR, TMac, Fritsch)  as I have posted, I don't think we're "too short". We'll probably have a 6th change from the GF side depending on who is sub, I expect it to be Laurie over JJ.

I think Collingwood bat deeper in their midfield but I think with Nick Daicos out, our top end talent is superior and therefore the ball will be in our half more:

• De Goey, Pendlebury, Mitchell, Crisp, Adams, J.Daicos, Sidebottom, Lipinski, Hoskin-Elliott
  • Petracca, Oliver, Viney, Brayshaw, Sparrow, Langdon, Hunter

We killed them on KBW and it was only our errant kicking that kept them in it.  With more time in our forward half, accuracy is going to be key tonight but I have a good degree of confidence because all of Fritsch, TMac, JVR, Smith and Chandler are reliable shots and Pickett and ANB can be good if they are on. We'll need goals from Petracca too.

I think we win.

Edited by old55
  • Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1

11 minutes ago, whatwhat say what said:

i would doubt that grundy will be sub

we'll know 90 mins before the bounce

Yes we will and as much as I'd have Grundy as the sub to cover for Max, I'm not sure it will happen

But will we be surprised if the Collingwood ruckmen work Max over?  We all know that Cox can be a sniper and our MC should be expectating some dirty tactics against Gawn

Thus, the insurance that might be needed to cover our only ruckman (a non starting insurance player)

There is something special about playing the filth in a final. The highs or lows of the day have no equel in the emotional outcome of the day. 

I hate the filth.

54 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

I’m a unique blend of confident and nervous.

I have confidence in our system, our form and our preparation. 

But I am extremely nervous because, as good as we are, Collingwood are good too and are better than many here give them credit for. And so much rides on this game - a home prelim against St Kilda or an interstate side, or a semi against Carl/Syd just for the right to get on a plane for an interstate prelim. 

Fair to say you’re living up to your nomenclature then, TU?

Agreed, anybody here underestimating the Pies has rocks in their head. The noise their crowd emanates is, while on a day-to-day level completely indecipherable, very much a weapon at footy games, and they will be rabid in a finals atmosphere. We need to bring the noise. 

And the team/coaches need to do whatever they can to diffuse the tactic of negating Max. This is where I think the game will be decided. 

Edited by Mel Bourne