PREGAME: Rd 24 vs Sydney

Demonland

34 minutes ago, DubDee said:

cmon guys not much in the McCartin incident. he never changed his shape and was looking for the ball. 

i know there have been bad decisions made based on injury outcome but let’s not add this to the pile

I do get that, but similarly I feel bad for all the other players they have rubbed out over the previous few seasons for simply playing the game, but supposedly not showing enough 'care for the player' when the inevitable body contact occurred (Nibbler in 2020 and Chanler 2022 come to mind).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bates Mate said:

Fritta confirmed https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/1413368/injury-report-fritsch-closes-in-on-return

Kudos to Selwyn and team this year done a cracking job, getting players on the park and managing work loads. Learned some lessons last year and adjusted accordingly

Like Clarry, you mean??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Not sure bringing Tmac on a wet and horrible day is ideal.

Have some not learnt from the Ben Brown in Alice Spring fiasco?

Did Ben Brown play in Alice Springs?

1 hour ago, binman said:

As ive posted a number of times, i think the logical rule change about the ball hitting the post is if it goes thru, its a goal (by the by, a benefit I haven't highlighted is that unlike a technological solution, that solution is replicable at every single level, from under 8s, to the ammos, to state leagues).

I have not heard a single media person support what would be a cost free way to remove at least one scenario where a mistake is made that costs a game (you would still need ARC for touched).

In fact every single media person i have heard respond to the suggestion had rejected it out of hand.

Any number of stupid reasons are given for rejecting - tradition being the most common (as if they've had video calls and the stand rule since 1859. And some of the same people are advocating for a NHL or NFL style video review after all scores and resetting the clock if there is a scoring error).

But one of the most common, and funniest, responses I've heard, including from Whateley, is that the AFL just need to get the system right.

The AFL get a system right?

I can barely think of a single system the AFL is responsible for that isn't deeply flawed - the MRO, ARC, tribunal,  finals ticketing, fixturing, AFLW, rule development and implementation, umpiring, equalisation, free agency compensation. The list goes on.

And people seriously see the solution to this ARC mess as the AFL developing and implementing a robust and effective system and processes?

I mean come on.

Just look at the crows and dees non goals/goals. 

In BOTH, completely predictable, instances the system and procceses the AFL has had 15 years to get right were CORRECTLY FOLLOWED!!!!!!!.

The system operated exactly as designed by the bloody AFL!

And the solution to this mess is the AFL overhauling a sytem they have designed and/or coming up with another process to bolt on with no thought about unintended consequences of doing so.

Jesus wept.

On the media, they don't really want simple solutions either  - they're as addicted to controversy ad the AFL.

You missed the obvious one and that is the AFL’s engineering of outcomes by changing their rules, often in midstream.

I would be very interested to see what the AFL does with North Melbourne’s ploy to have Tasmanian top 10 draft prospect Ryley Sanders registered as a Next Generation Academy player and then be pre-listed or eligible for drafting by North in contradiction to the NGA rules that apply to the non Northern States.

The AFL has yet to agree to the idea but if it had integrity, consistency and fairness as heart then it should have already come out and ruled out this farcical sham as yet another unnecessary compromising of its own rules. 

Any organization with an ounce of decency would laugh such an idea out of court.

• Like 6
  • Clap 2

4 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

You missed the obvious one and that is the AFL’s engineering of outcomes by changing their rules, often in midstream.

I would be very interested to see what the AFL does with North Melbourne’s ploy to have Tasmanian top 10 draft prospect Ryley Sanders registered as a Next Generation Academy player and then be pre-listed or eligible for drafting by North in contradiction to the NGA rules that apply to the non Northern States.

The AFL has yet to agree to the idea but if it had integrity, consistency and fairness as heart then it should have already come out and ruled out this farcical sham as yet another unnecessary compromising of its own rules. 

Any organization with an ounce of decency would laugh such an idea out of court.

The problem is that nobody in the organization is responsible for running football. That’s where everything is falling down.

Christian Petracca said on AFL360 that he didn’t think his last shot at goal against Carlton was touched and Toby Greene agreed with him.

Interestingly, the vision shows Weitering arriving at the scene late and slapping the goalpost. I’m not sure if this was raised previously but I bring it up because there was an element of post slapping in the case of Keays’ disallowed goal for Adelaide, the sound of which is said to be a possible reason why the goal umpire might have believed the ball hit the post.

Anyway, both incidents are now water under the bridge. 

• Like 4

On 8/20/2023 at 6:16 PM, ElDiablo14 said:

Surely Fritsch is a straight in? He's been our best Fwd the last 3 seasons.

And he'll probably be a bit rusty. Best to get the first-up game out of the way, I think.

Possible team

B: McVee, May, Lever

HB: Rivers, D.Turner, Salem

C: Langdon, Oliver, Hunter

HF: Petracca, J.Smith, Neal-Bullen

F: Melksham, van Rooyen, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Brayshaw, Viney

IC: Bowey, Sparrow, Fritsch, Chandler

SUB: Laurie

EMERG: Spargo, Jordon, Schache

• Like 1

On 8/20/2023 at 9:26 PM, speed demon said:

So, for the following teams to be guaranteed a home qualifying final:

Brisbane: need to win

Port: need to win AND Brisbane lose

Melbourne: need to...lose

We got this

(yes, yes, I know other possibilities exist)

!!!!!!!!!!!

On 8/20/2023 at 8:25 PM, DeeSpencer said:

Out: Tomlinson, he's done. We could win 1000 in a row with him in the side, that's correlation not causation.
In: Disco Turner!

Out: Laurie
In: Fritsch

Out: Salem (rest)
In: Hibbo

Sub: Laurie or Woey.

With Fritsch in allowing Petracca back on ball and Oliver hopefully building fitness I still think there's a Brayshaw to the wing move with Hunter out and another mid/forward in (Woey, Laurie, JJ) but that seems less likely.

No to Tom McDonald this week. Another run at Casey to build confidence before a finals return if he's up to it.

Da [censored] is wrong with you 

• Haha 4

7 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

Absolutely 100% disgraceful. Hope the media go to town on this decision. 

Even after 40+ years in the comp, Sydney still get the "Expansion league benefits" at the Tribunal at Finals time ala big bad barry hall... just an out and out joke.... he clearly lined the player up and bumped, then turned....but then Sydney is playing finals which is good for the game ...so he plays...

Edited by RickyJ45
  • Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Clap 1
  • Angry 1

8 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Possible team

B: McVee, May, Lever

HB: Rivers, D.Turner, Salem

C: Langdon, Oliver, Hunter

HF: Petracca, J.Smith, Neal-Bullen

F: Melksham, van Rooyen, Pickett

FOLL: Gawn, Brayshaw, Viney

IC: Bowey, Sparrow, Fritsch, Chandler

SUB: Laurie

EMERG: Spargo, Jordon, Schache

Is this the Turner who has played 1 game in his career v Gold Coast?

Surely not ready yet! Tommo is playing ok and gives stability to our back half

Turner will have a go next year me thinks. Rest Salem if we can.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Kent said:

Is this the Turner who has played 1 game in his career v Gold Coast?

Surely not ready yet! Tommo is playing ok and gives stability to our back half

Turner will have a go next year me thinks. Rest Salem if we can.

Turner played in QB match in 2022 and was doing okay until whacked in the head and recieved a broken jaw or cheekbone.

Edited by drysdale demon
spelling
  • Like 2

On 8/21/2023 at 12:55 PM, Demon17 said:

And perhaps Kozzie stops flying for the never-to-occur MOTYear, and plays small forward front and centre of a pack that he excels at - when he does it that is.

He's probably held one of them all year. He needs to stay down and do what he does best.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, demon3165 said:

he has no tank to play that position

Remember an interview with Burgo in 2021 (maybe 2020), where he said Kozzie was the most exceptional combination of speed and endurance he’d seen over all his elite sport gigs. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

I do get that, but similarly I feel bad for all the other players they have rubbed out over the previous few seasons for simply playing the game, but supposedly not showing enough 'care for the player' when the inevitable body contact occurred (Nibbler in 2020 and Chanler 2022 come to mind).

Or JVR just a few months ago...  🫤

• Like 3

13 hours ago, gregdemon said:

DEAD RUBBER  manage max trac    in Grundy Dunstan.

Careful. A lot of people here think that resting players is a cardinal sin or something. It’s almost like they know something Chris Scott wasn’t aware of last year. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, drysdale demon said:

Turner played in QB match in 2022 and was doing okay until whacked in the head and recieved a broken jaw or cheekbone.

Tommo is playing a little better than 'OK' and is a trusted 'fit' with the rest of the backline - plus another game responsibility and settlement into that role will continue to add to his confidence. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, The Great Pretender said:

Christian Petracca said on AFL360 that he didn’t think his last shot at goal against Carlton was touched and Toby Greene agreed with him.

Interestingly, the vision shows Weitering arriving at the scene late and slapping the goalpost. I’m not sure if this was raised previously but I bring it up because there was an element of post slapping in the case of Keays’ disallowed goal for Adelaide, the sound of which is said to be a possible reason why the goal umpire might have believed the ball hit the post.

Anyway, both incidents are now water under the bridge. 

They all slap the post because they get told to, the coaches and players know the system is screwed so why not create a bit of doubt and it worked out for them.

Rampe is a serial post climber and slapper. 

This is what you get with a 3rd world score adjudication system.

• Like 3
  • Angry 1

13 hours ago, binman said:

As ive posted a number of times, i think the logical rule change about the ball hitting the post is if it goes thru, its a goal (by the by, a benefit I haven't highlighted is that unlike a technological solution, that solution is replicable at every single level, from under 8s, to the ammos, to state leagues).

I have not heard a single media person support what would be a cost free way to remove at least one scenario where a mistake is made that costs a game (you would still need ARC for touched).

In fact every single media person i have heard respond to the suggestion had rejected it out of hand.

Any number of stupid reasons are given for rejecting - tradition being the most common (as if they've had video calls and the stand rule since 1859. And some of the same people are advocating for a NHL or NFL style video review after all scores and resetting the clock if there is a scoring error).

But one of the most common, and funniest, responses I've heard, including from Whateley, is that the AFL just need to get the system right.

The AFL get a system right?

I can barely think of a single system the AFL is responsible for that isn't deeply flawed - the MRO, ARC, tribunal,  finals ticketing, fixturing, AFLW, rule development and implementation, umpiring, equalisation, free agency compensation. The list goes on.

And people seriously see the solution to this ARC mess as the AFL developing and implementing a robust and effective system and processes?

I mean come on.

Just look at the crows and dees non goals/goals. 

In BOTH, completely predictable, instances the system and procceses the AFL has had 15 years to get right were CORRECTLY FOLLOWED!!!!!!!.

The system operated exactly as designed by the bloody AFL!

And the solution to this mess is the AFL overhauling a sytem they have designed and/or coming up with another process to bolt on with no thought about unintended consequences of doing so.

Jesus wept.

On the media, they don't really want simple solutions either  - they're as addicted to controversy ad the AFL.

Don't worry @binman Dangerfield is a fixer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think it's probably better for us that McCartin is playing, we're going to be trialing new forward structures with Fritsch back and it's good to do it against the best opposition we can meet, particularly in what is most likely a dead rubber.  It's unfortunate that it's at the dinky SCG which is hardly representative of the finals' venues we'll play at.

• Like 3