• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 08 vs Brisbane

Demonland

We were close, but result hides the same old problems - poor disposal, bad decision making, dumb football at crunch times - greater accountability needed for likes of Hannan, Oliver, Brayshaw, Hames and even newbies like Pickett with poor tackling technique - only way too improve and get beyond honourable defeats.....

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Wadda We Sing said:

Those terrible concussions hes had must take their toll. A few would have given it away and too his credit hes fought back really hard. However it seems hes half the player he was a few years back and its a terrible thing really. Heres hoping he can really get back.

Maybe you are right and if that is the case I feel for him. The harsh reality is that we just cannot afford to carry him any longer

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, trout said:

Well I feel for everyone who has been emotionally attached to every game this year, this was the first game I have and I now feel horrible and sadly it’s an all to familiar feeling.

We lost that, the umpiring particularly in the first half was terrible but we still should have won.

So many dumb mistakes, so many familiar dumb mistakes. It’s just so infuriating. I am not really a fan of Goodwins but I feel a little bit for him, it must be so hard coaching a group that are clearly so stupid. Others have made comments about it but seriously how hard is it to get back of the mark.

Whoever has been working on Petracca’s set shots needs to spend a lot of time with Weiderman. And as for Fritch I would drop him for that fifty.

Close to it, he had a poor game and that cost us any chance we had of winning. Tempted to bring TMac in for him off that effort. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, deanox said:

He had a couple of shockers, but he had 28 disposals at 75%DE (the 5th highest on the field for players above 10 disposals), which means 21 effective disposals and only 4 clangers (not many given those disposal numbers). He also laid 10 tackles (highest on ground).

Statistics and damned lies... watch the game again.

1 minute ago, Skuit said:

Hey Gonzo. I actually really appreciate your game-sense. I expect that you are frustrated but where did we lose this one?

We got smashed around the clearances for the first 2 and a half quarters despite Gawn's ruck dominance. The 2nd quarter the ball barely left their forward line. We worked our way back into but missed about 5 easy shots that killed us. In the 3rd Bennell missed from about 5-10m out on a slight angle and Kozzie missed a snap directly in front about 25m out when he had a player free in the goalsquare he could've handballed to. Early in the last Harmes missed a sitter about 40 out straight in front. Weideman also missed 2 or 3 relatively easy shots early.

It was a really sloppy game you could tell the rain had been falling for 2-3 days which meant skills were poor all night. But really the clearances and missed opportunities lost us the game.

Don't know if that's less than 100 words

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I think the shorten quarters have really helped Brisbane. They looked a lot quicker around ground with their spread. Berry Lyons and in particular neale. If the game was the proper 20min qtrs we would have easily won. 

5 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Weideman looked good early but his kicking let him down. Dal Santo mentioned he was leaning back on his kicks which kills you in the wet as the ball just slides off the side of your boot. He's been good since returning though, that first mark he took was a ripper. I have confidence in him and think he'll turn it around against Port in a few days.

I like Sam too and think he has helped our structure heaps since coming back in and couldn’t believe he wasn’t getting a game. But he just needs to kick easy set shots, ultimately it’s the difference between winning and losing.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Coq au vin said:

Not at all. There are many on here that think he’s the best thing since sliced bread. He isn’t. He reminds me of JKH. Too small, fast but fairly ineffective. Could be exciting but doesn’t deliver (so far). Let’s hope he does soon. Compare Rankine.

Rankine has had 2 decent games in 2 years. Give me a humble, hard working, tough, fast player like Pickett ahead of an arrogant, injury prone, flash in the pan "magician" like Rankine any day of the week.

• Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

12 minutes ago, deanox said:

He had a couple of shockers, but he had 28 disposals at 75%DE (the 5th highest on the field for players above 10 disposals), which means 21 effective disposals and only 4 clangers (not many given those disposal numbers). He also laid 10 tackles (highest on ground).

Maybe the definition of an effective disposal should be more clearly defined !!!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Pates said:

This one stings, the proof is that we can match it with the best teams in the competition.

That's the one big positive out of this game for me.  We weren't in this game by some sort of fluke, or that they kicked 7.17 - we were in it because we deserved to be for large parts of the contest.  No doubt they dominated the second term, but we stuck in there thanks to our back line and then we were able to turn the tide in the second half.

If not for some basic errors in front of goal we could have won it, and we would have deserved to win it too.

• Like 4

Still to wound up to be rational.

We had the momentum. And made some very poor decisions in the last  two minutes. 

Im not that annoyed at hannan for kicking to fritter. But he kicked it on the full! Just stupid from Fritsch.

The goal review was terrible. It was the goal umpires choice to review. No feel foe the game and once he let it go that should have been that. But he looked like a young fella who just got rattled.

But we lost that game in the second quarter not the last. 

For context, that was the 69th Game in a row that the team leading at 3/4 time has won. Remarkable.

• Like 2

Well that was disappointing 

Set goal kicking practice this week please. 

Look at where we missed our shots from. 

image.png.8c56a1e9b6bf019fc14571ad2497ac23.png

FMD we are our own worst enemy. 

BTW the umps were BOG and Brisbane’s best players  

I will say it was great to be at a game live and I really hope all my fellow Dees supporters in Melbourne are going ok. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, dee-tox said:

Max was basically ineffective all night.

Viney was superb.

If the recipients of his pretty friggin’ exquisite tap-outs cleared more effectively, “ineffective” would not have been a word you’d attach to him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

As I said in the Oscar thread, I think this game was clearly lost in the midfield. We weren't brave enough with our ball movement, but I also hate watching us play in the wet.

We've been a hopeless wet weather side for years, because we seem to play like it's dry by overcomplicating stoppage and we slowly readjust throughout the game.

A lot of our stoppage set ups around the ground were poor too, I thought. We failed to cover both sides of the contest too often and the difference between Neale and our entire team was his cleanness. He would pick the ball up cleanly and dispose of it cleanly. Our guys [censored] the bed for most of the night. 

However, I think keeping Jackson in was a very good selection. I'm really excited about this kid. He makes the right decisions, has pace and creates a contest.

It's hard to say whether Tomlinson would have brought more offence to the game than Jones, but Nathan's defensive game or rather his legspeed, caught us out a few times. I think until Vanders is ready to go again, it'll be a case of balancing Tomlinson's defence with Jones' offence.

I thought Viney was outstanding for the most part, as was Lockhart. I see what people are saying about Jay. He works really hard to provide an outlet and makes pretty good decisions with ball in hand.

Langdon is another that works really hard and is incredibly important already to how our game hangs together, but his kicking is still an issue. That was definitely Melksham's ball and Jake would have nailed that shot. 

I think the most frustrating part is for mine, Brisbane are very pedestrian. Neale is an out and out star with his cleanness and his ability to win and dispose of the ball effectively. Cameron is always a threat in the forwardline, Andrews is good if you let him be, but the rest of the side is bog ordinary. But their pressure was excellent. Of course, Hipwood always looks like a star against us too, but he is flakey at best. 

Make no mistake, we play four solid quarters and we win comfortably. 

Meanwhile, Clarry is getting there despite some wayward kicking and was also very good.

I thought our forwardline functioned quite well in the first half, but we resorted to kicking long to contests in the second half. At least, we managed to keep the ball in our forward half and play territory a bit more than in the earlier rounds.

Healy kept saying they were better during the game and I think in terms of cleanness from stoppage and around the ground, absolutely, but we fumbled, bumbled and kicked into Brisbane players hands (some were good smothers, others were downright careless on our behalf) when we managed to win a lot of great contested ball.

On Healy, I was surprised by how buoyant he was about our prospect of making finals at the end of the game, because I think at 3 wins, 4 losses, with a reduced fixture, I can't see us making finals unless we come out and beat Port and go on a run (ala 2018), and other results really start to go our way. Let's hope he's right.

Edited by A F
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, binman said:

Still to wound up to be rational.

We had the momentum. And made some very poor decisions in the last  two minutes. 

Im not that annoyed at hannan for kicking to fritter. But he kicked it on the full! Just stupid from Fritsch.

The goal review was terrible. It was the goal umpires choice to review. No feel foe the game and once he let it go that should have been that. But he looked like a young fella who just got rattled.

But we lost that game in the second quarter not the last. 

For context, that was the 69th Game in a row that the team leading at 3/4 time has won. Remarkable.

The old premiership quarter returns! I just look at our opportunities and it really hurts me. The lions has “chances” to ice the game but none we easy, a lot of the opportunities we missed were ones you’d expect the player to kick. Harley has a bit of an off night with his final touch, you’d normally back him in for the two opportunities he had, while Kozzie’s night was definitely made worse by his miss (even more so that he burned a teammate for an easy goal). 

I guess there’s no point harping on about it. They’ll know this was a golden chance miss, the Lions get away with this one, we need to make it up elsewhere. I remember the Geelong loss in 2018 ended up being used as motivation for bigger things. This has to happen here. 

• Like 2

A quick second positive, no time to dwell on the result. They’ll review and look to bounce back quickly on Thursday. 

Selection this week will be interesting. 

Skills  that all !!!  they had slight better composure Bennell had a shocker.   Effort was great unlike last year.  Building towards 2021... will be a good year.   Still want to win many games this year. Would love to knock off Port ferals

1 hour ago, dazzledavey36 said:

its curtains already. 

The one thing i take away tonight is we played right into their hands around stoppages, we didn't try to change anything up around them to change the dynamic.

We played at about 60% capacity tonight, everything seemed to go their way ricochets, smothers, umpiring decisions, inaccurate goal kicking on our part.

Yet still we had enough of the game's clearer opportunities to win the game. That is what's irritating the most about the loss.

We are currently 3-4 if we go 3-5 its all over even with the game in hand.

Then the serious questions will start to get asked.

• Like 2

Honestly thought we were going to win this one in the last 5 minutes. The Burgo effect is real, just a bit more poise needed in pressure cooker situations. Thought our second quarter cost us dearly in the end but I can’t stop thinking about the Hannan to Fritta pass.

A bit harsh to single out a moment like that, just wished Hannan slowed down a tad and assess the situation like Jackson did a few moments earlier to set up Melksham for his 3rd. Hibbo was all alone inboard about 60 out and Viney seemed to have a paddock in front of him 30 out. This is just a minor vent.

Another what could have been. As much as this stings the boys they have to forget it in a hurry. We will be picking a side in two days. 

Jackson looks the goods, steady head on him and like his decision making. Lockhart unsighted in the first quarter but thought he was real important as the game went on. 

I just can’t love Viney enough. His work rate has been off the charts the last 3 weeks. 

• Like 7

I really noticed how low Brayshaw is in confidence tonight. It was evident in his body language. It’s a shame. He has something to offer when he’s on.
in 2018 the genuine contenders made us look impotent for large periods of time when we played them. This seems to be the case this season although the last quarter was a glimmer of hope. 
we need to trade aggressively with someone like brayshaw or those on his tier and bring in one more midfielder type with speed and disposal if at all possible. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Blue-and-red said:

We were close, but result hides the same old problems - poor disposal, bad decision making, dumb football at crunch times - greater accountability needed for likes of Hannan, Oliver, Brayshaw, Hames and even newbies like Pickett with poor tackling technique - only way too improve and get beyond honourable defeats.....

Maybe change your wording slightly....not same old problems ...we played an inform team coming off an amazing 2019 & continuing that form into 2020.   We had some very easy misses...& a couple of lapses in the discipline area. But our intent was good ....Jackson...Langdon...Lever & May are continuing to get better as is an 18 yr old Kozzie and an older Bennell. The disappointment for me was the form of Harmes (all year actually) the inconsistency of Brayshaw & sadly maybe someone like Jetta nearing the end.  We have a lot of depth which we will see over the next few weeks & I for one am cautiously optimistic. Thought this game was 50/50 but think we should beat Port Adelaide. No excuses there !   

• Like 2

Just home from the game.

- Brisbane’s pressure around the ball was very very good and it was bloody tough to get a clean clearance

- The above made Viney’s performance even more impressive, he was great in traffic all night

- Oliver also very good after a couple of shaky kicks early, and Petracca also solid

- Lever and May looked good down back, and Lockhart had a lot of small involvements that might not show up on a stat sheet

- OMac struggled when the pressure was on, and Jetta really struggled, but had obviously copped a couple of knocks

- Pickett was in the play a lot early, applying lots of pressure, but faded

- Weid and Jackson did a solid job, but Weid’s misses were obviously costly

- Brayshaw was no good, barely noticed him and when I did, it wasn’t overly positive

- Almost forgot Langdon, he was always an option, was good defensively and his disposal seemed tidy, even going back towards the corridor

Edited by Forest Demon
  • Like 9

I was at the ground and we seemed to panic to many times and returned to all in and no one on outside. On a few occasions even Kossie was sucked into the contest even in pack marking in lieu of staying on outside and getting a loose ball. Many times the ball spilled out and only Brisbane players were there. Must correct this if we are to have a run at the finals. And whilst I think Bennell can be a good player for us his efforts out there tonight were shocking. Watched him closely a few times and never pushed hard to assist his mates. Just a lack of effort. Harmes and Brayshaw need to find some good form soon also.

• Like 3