Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

TRAINING: Monday 13th January 2020

Demonland

4 hours ago, DeeSpencer said:

Did they not give us a recent update on Spargo, Hannan, Jones and Tomlinson? They’re doing plenty and heading towards the main group. 

Gus has done almost all the trainings, if he’s sitting out one drill there’s nothing to see there. Might be as much as getting him extra reps on his strength which is reading ruck taps and clearance work.

Doubt there’s much to say about KK and Bennell.

The one to be nervous about is May. We’ll all have to touch wood there 

Preuss, AVB are opposition thumpers. The only thing that May has to do is provide reciprocal attention to his opponents. Needs to take a leaf out of Biff's fullback anthology.

11 minutes ago, Deespicable said:

Had a couple of shopping errands on way home, but saw most of session. Will try and not repeat what has been covered.

Highlight: Trac. Drifted forward during match sim. Lever fell and he was forced into a Tim Watson style jump over the top of him and then turned and snagged one truly. He also had a dust-up with Action Jackson. Jacko snared him in a nice tackle and Trac gave him a bit of razz back and Trac was constantly cheeky with jibes throughout most drills. he's ready to play midfield, hence why Harmes is training off half-back and looking exceptionally good in the role of a right-side clearer.

For the fans: Satay reckons he'll play all year in the VFL and if it came to touches at training then the stats men would say no way to Kozzie. But watch him closely. He's electric. He's the same mould as Cyril, built strongly through the hips and as a result, even though he's tiny height wise, he can hold his own. He'll play at some stage - maybe even Rd 1 if he does well in our two praccy games. And by well, that means five touches! He ain't an accumulator, he's a matchwinner! 

For the haters: I've said previously that ANB has been in our top two trainers previously and is a monte to play Rd 1, but (queue disbelievers and nasty trolls), Oscar may be playing himself into a spot in Rd 1. With Smith and May not there again, Oscar has had to step up and he's done a couple of things that I doubted he could rin the past two sessions - spoilt cleanly and outmuscled his opponent and I'm told he was pretty handy in the time trials as well - although 3km is way different running to the legspeed that he lacks. The only player who clearly had the wood over him at training today was his big brother Tom who tossed him aside like a ragdoll a couple of times. It's for that reason that I am still very wary to say that Oscar can hold his own on bigs and I'd be having Petty train with the backs every now and then just for security. But Oscar's disposal skills means when there's system down back, he is an asset.

Lowlight: Obviously May hurt himself on Friday in the time trial, but Joel Smith's absence again is more of a worry. Praying he is just flu stricken and not more OP. VDB was missing today (one session doesn't make a summer) while Hannan continues to be an absentee. I did see him rehab train late December, but he never looked comfortable - knee issues are plaguing him.

Rehab club: I reckon you'll find Jones (hammy), Tomlinson (calf) and Spargo (foot) back in the main gp in the next week. Baker is still a couple of weeks away at least, while Harley got a huge cheer from a few of the guys for just doing a few run-throughs. I reckon he did about 20 of them and had no obvious discomfort so maybe, just maybe.    

Five debutants this season (and in debut Rd order):

Pickett Rd 1: as stated above, I'm in the lovers club already. He may only get five touches in Perth, but at least three will create goals. He'll be in and out all season as he learns to cope with AFL intensity.

Jackson Rd 2: I reckon they'll take him as emergency to Perth and then play him the next week at our first home game of season v GWS. He's more mobile than Weed, Tomlinson (based on last year) and even Petty. Whacko Jacko looked great as a forward today and brought down Trac with his second effort. Trac took his headband off him in return and it did seem most of the boys liked getting into him, but he has that Jesse type arrogance about him (must be a Perth thing). Once in, may play whole season if he remains uninjured.

Toby Bedford Rd 4: He hurt his ankle today, but he's been lively all pre-season. He's not as explosive as Kossy but he now gets his role. When he was playing match sim today, it was a bold new order with Kossy, Bradtke and Bedford making Jetta and Wags work overtime. I reckon he'll be switched in and out of the side with Pickett much of the year.

JJ Rd 6or7: I suspect the week after we play Richmond there'll be a push to bring this guy in to our midfield and based on today, he'll play before Sparrow gets a game this year. During match sim drill it was evident just how quick Jimmy's hands are and how accurate. One came just after Sparrow had butchered a release handball and as a result the comparison was stark. Yes JJ needs to keep working on his speed, but he'll be the prime mover in the VFL this year and at some stage will get the call-up. 

Trent Rivers Rd 6 or 7: This guy may surprise everyone and be our best pick of this year's draft. He's quick, can leap and is a nice kick. He was mega impressive in the tackling drill today - kept breaking free. My only worry is that he still looks like a little kid and I hope they don't rush him in too early. But having said that, if Joel Smith is out for long, then Rivers and his pace may be summoned earlier than even I think.

Obviously Langdon will be playing Rd 1 - he has just fitted in seamlessly (an everyready engine). Tomlinson may be playing Rd 1 as well, but too early to make a call on that. Brown is a chance as well as he keeps presenting, but he has stamina, not speed like Whacko.

Finally, there's lot of players whom I generally don't mention because we all know they are quality but you couldn't help but notice the work of Gawny today. The big fella made the midfield/ruck drills an issue because he was just so good at tapping to his teammate that it rendered the contest ineffective because there was no way anyone could stop his team. 

I think someone reported that Joel Smith has a bad cut on his foot and is out of action for 2 weeks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deespicable said:

Pickett Rd 1: as stated above, I'm in the lovers club already. He may only get five touches in Perth, but at least three will create goals. He'll be in and out all season as he learns to cope with AFL intensity.

Geeeee, Bruce’s probably found another love child to replace Cyril. Oh Kossy, Kossy, Kossy  (I feel nauseous already)!

22 minutes ago, Dee Dee said:

Geeeee, Bruce’s probably found another love child to replace Cyril. Oh Kossy, Kossy, Kossy  (I feel nauseous already)!

19 minutes ago, daisycutter said:

yep. he'll definitely be bruce's next wet dream

You'll find Bruce's borderline erotic gushing over Kossie (assuming it happens) will be far more tolerable than when he does it for oppo players. In fact it will be justified and even appropriate.

• Like 7
  • Haha 5

22 minutes ago, Mazer Rackham said:

You'll find Bruce's borderline erotic gushing over Kossie (assuming it happens) will be far more tolerable than when he does it for oppo players. In fact it will be justified and even appropriate.

I understand where you are coming from, but no, it could be even more sickening.

1 hour ago, Dee Dee said:

Bruce:   "and there goes little Kossy     'Dee licious' "

And now after all this fanfare for Kossy,  he probably won't even get to play,   his head will be too big & top heavy.

Lets not spoil him, and turn him into another dee flop.

Edited by MyFavouriteMartian
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Good Lord George said:

https://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/552969

Official now. May a cyst, Smith an infected cut. Both back next week. 

Jones managed.

Whew. Im jumping at shadows this pre-season.

22 minutes ago, Demons1858 said:

l may be too. any procedure involving the knee makes me nervous especially when its something odd like a cyst. hopefully our training reports are a little more transparent under burgo

Well he looks to be off to a good start

3 hours ago, Deespicable said:

For the haters: I've said previously that ANB has been in our top two trainers previously and is a monte to play Rd 1, but (queue disbelievers and nasty trolls), Oscar may be playing himself into a spot in Rd 1. With Smith and May not there again, Oscar has had to step up and he's done a couple of things that I doubted he could rin the past two sessions - spoilt cleanly and outmuscled his opponent and I'm told he was pretty handy in the time trials as well - although 3km is way different running to the legspeed that he lacks. The only player who clearly had the wood over him at training today was his big brother Tom who tossed him aside like a ragdoll a couple of times. It's for that reason that I am still very wary to say that Oscar can hold his own on bigs and I'd be having Petty train with the backs every now and then just for security. But Oscar's disposal skills means when there's system down back, he is an asset.

I am one that believes that Oscar will improve season on season. I could see him slotting into a well structured defence on an as required/matchup basis. I have liked the way he positions himself as a last line of defence when the ball is in the forward 50 and there is broken play. His disposal is generally very good but I fear a lot of supporters look for his mistakes rather than his good work.

I would back him to play at least 50% of the games this season if he stays fit and healthy.

I also like Petty. Would be looking to have him working a a forward. I like the aggressive edge he carries into games.

• Like 5

29 minutes ago, Demons1858 said:

l may be too. any procedure involving the knee makes me nervous especially when its something odd like a cyst. hopefully our training reports are a little more transparent under burgo

May be a Bakers cyst, no big deal with them I have had two. Easily fixed. 

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

12 hours ago, It's Time said:

Kossie is much more built than I expected. I’ve seen players with less of a physique playing ing senior footy. He looks bigger than Spargo.

Time.  That is really damning with feint praise.

Snow White’s septet of beaus could almost meet the same description.  ?

Edited by monoccular
  • Haha 1

For all those who are salivating about Trac, i for one, am concerned about his pace around and with the ball, not his evasive qualities which i think has to be used as a consequence........at this stage i would not compare him to De Goey

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CHF said:

I am one that believes that Oscar will improve season on season. I could see him slotting into a well structured defence on an as required/matchup basis. I have liked the way he positions himself as a last line of defence when the ball is in the forward 50 and there is broken play. His disposal is generally very good but I fear a lot of supporters look for his mistakes rather than his good work.

I would back him to play at least 50% of the games this season if he stays fit and healthy.

I also like Petty. Would be looking to have him working a a forward. I like the aggressive edge he carries into games.

I think he had a few down moments during last season, where he was questioning himself and regardless of some of his statements he will have been aware of the scrutiny. It may be pivotal that Goodwins defense of him at the members forum is the catalyst for belief in himself and that can only be a good thing

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, willmoy said:

For all those who are salivating about Trac, i for one, am concerned about his pace around and with the ball, not his evasive qualities which i think has to be used as a consequence........at this stage i would not compare him to De Goey

No doubt based on your limited view, because of the trees

• Like 1

Was at my first session in a while, and did my best to watch while having my young daughter with me.

I won’t  add too much more, as most has been said.

Firstly, I do love how so many jump at shadows or are so pessimistic about injuries (or apparent injuries) to players. Take a deep breath, it is January, and we are way ahead of where we were last year.

I had a chat to a few people I know at the club and they are all upbeat and extremely positive with how things are going, and from what I gathered, it wasn’t just your usual talk you read in the media to drum up publicity, they were genuinely excited by the new fitness people, by the players mentality and efforts and by the different training they are doing now.

on a personal note (so I am unsure if this matters too much to some :) ), I was impressed by:

Jackson - he moves well and flies for his marks, second efforts are great. Kicking skills on both feet pretty good too.

Kossie - silky, quick, just what we need. Just needs some fitness as he won’t play much u til he can use his speed and pressure for more than 10 minutes.

Trac - moves so well, clean and vocal. Trained with the mids all the time. Will have a huge year! And we need him too and we need to make him happy and re sign him!

T Mac - looked super fit and moved well. Back to 2018 movement, I hope!

O Mac - his kicking skills are great and he used his body well today. Just needs to work one quicker decisions!

Brown - he will play a lot of games this season, and I would be happy to have him in the team, whichever end he is at. Good body size, moves well, takes a strong mark. Astute pick up imo.

Melksham - his kicking is elite, his left foot is better than most others preferred foot. And he uses his body so well. And he is vocal and guiding people. We need him if we are to be any good this season.

Tomlinson- didn’t realise how big he is, muscular more than height. He was getting annoyed with Burgess as he was itching to join in the real training. Think he will be in there ASAP.

I could go on, but I was relatively impressed overall, as much as you can be for an early Jan session. Of course we need to wait a long while to see anything put into action.

Overall it was just great to see the majority of the players all training, the entire session, at full pace and training g at a pretty high standard and looking like they were enjoying it.

Edited by Yokozuna
  • Like 26
  • Thanks 9
  • Love 2

13 hours ago, CHF said:

People forget that in 2018 we went an impressive 8-2 between rounds 16 - semi final (our best 2 months of footy in 12 years) and O Mac played in all those games without the services of Lever and May.

He must have done something right in 2018.  

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

13 hours ago, willmoy said:

When truck reaches his peek he will leave Jordon in his dust.

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Yokozuna said:

O Mac - his kicking skills are great and he used his body well today. Just needs to work one quicker decisions!

Brown - he will play a lot of games this season, and I would be happy to have him in the team, whichever end he is at. Good body size, moves well, takes a strong mark. Astute pick up imo.

I think I saw you Yoko trying to stop your daughter running onto the ground to join the players!!

I rarely comment on OMac because it invites comments like Chook who, despite the suggestion that social media might have been the reason for his absence last year, found it necessary to suggest that :

22 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

A defense led by Oscar McDonald and Harry Petty looks tantalising on paper.

on toilet paper?

I mean, after all the crap this bloke has gone through, some still find it necessary to post these sort of comments. I just don't get it.

But his kicking at training was elite, both left and right foot, and he was one of the cleaner ones with the ball. I also agree with you about Brown, he was very good yesterday.  But I did think the standard was down on its preseason level and will be interested to see what it's like tomorrow.

• Like 9
  • Love 1