• Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm w/David Neitz

Demonland

Sam Weideman + contract

Sorry Wrecker you are not on the money with that opinion.

Sam's field marking has been one grab in R23 and the two MCG Finals.

Last goal vs Geelong was as clean a mark and follow through kick off his left foot as you will see.

Jesse was not always a one grab and I think Sam is as good and will be better overhead in the near future.

Cant wait to see him keep improving all aspects of his game. Kicking for goal is elite by the way.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, 58er said:

Last goal vs Geelong was as clean a mark and follow through kick off his left foot as you will see.

Jesse was not always a one grab and I think Sam is as good and will be better overhead in the near future.

Cant wait to see him keep improving all aspects of his game. Kicking for goal is elite by the way.

Yep. I thought his marking in the Jeelong game was exceptional. I am sure he took a one grab pack mark in the 1st Quarter. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wrecker45 said:

I’m going to be very unpopular here and say i’m not convinced.

He is good at ground level but in the air I don’t see it.

Even in that final the marks he took fell to him and he didn’t take them cleanly.

i’m hoping it’s a strength thing and he proves me wrong with a greater upper body.

Not unpopular, just wrong😁

i have always backed Sam, because of his courage at attacking the ball in the air, not sure how you can’t see it, but am confident you will come around soon.

• Like 4

The weid can play there is no doubt  and could of faulted  in  the finals instead he played like he belonged and that is what they play for to play finals and make history  and to help win the ultimate for our great club. 

There have been some great players for other clubs that have struggled to play well in finals consistently and crumble under the pressure. .However Sam can take a mark  in a pack ,can tackle, knows how to kick a goal and is growing in confidence..  The finals was a Godsend for him and alot of good came out of it and IMO he is ready to produce his best. 

The Kid is no one hit wonder.  He is something!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, Wrecker45 said:

I’m going to be very unpopular here and say i’m not convinced.

He is good at ground level but in the air I don’t see it.

Even in that final the marks he took fell to him and he didn’t take them cleanly.

i’m hoping it’s a strength thing and he proves me wrong with a greater upper body.

No, he’s a natural.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, The Stigga said:

Vs Geelong last year:

12 Kicks, 12 handballs, 7 marks, 3 goals, 4 tackles...

He's going to be a gun...

I'm really hoping for a forward line of TMac, Weid and Hunt next year.

I said from the start he will be the lad that is the difference between the flag and no flag. Not only forward but ruck and a run through the guts. 

Love this fella and mark my words he will sign a six year deal, bag a hundred and be a dees premiership player.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Watson11 said:

No, he’s a natural. 

I remember one of the training staff labelling him a "Natural Born Killer" due to his attack on the ball in marking contests.

Can bang 'em from outside fiddy like a proper power forward too..

Edited by Fork 'em
  • Like 5
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

I remember one of the training staff labelling him a "Natural Born Killer" due to his attack on the ball in marking contests.

Can bang 'em from outside fiddy like a proper power forward too..

'nbk'

• Like 2

Watched the Geelong game with a group of Expat Aussies (none of them Demons) and none had ever seen the Weid before. All agreed he would be a very good player. Looks a bit like a young Pavlich to me. Will kill it in the next few years. We've got to lock him away before the filth get into his ears. They'd love the story of bringing the Grandson of a Club Legend home from a few years captivity by the enemy.

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

This is a young hungry squad that appear to be genuinely enjoying their footy together ATM. 
Reckon he'll stay till we have at least 3 flags.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Royal Demon said:

Watched the Geelong game with a group of Expat Aussies (none of them Demons) and none had ever seen the Weid before. All agreed he would be a very good player. Looks a bit like a young Pavlich to me. Will kill it in the next few years. We've got to lock him away before the filth get into his ears. They'd love the story of bringing the Grandson of a Club Legend home from a few years captivity by the enemy.

Agreed, and have thought so since day dot.

• Like 1

On 2/14/2019 at 11:19 PM, 58er said:

Sorry, but I'm joining @wrecka45 on crashing the Weid love-in.  Weid has presented a credible target and for 4 or 5 games in a good side playing great footy at the perfect time in big games.  Jesse provided a good target and proven goal kicker over 4 seasons in a team which was absolute poo in his first season.

Not comparing apples with apples. 

Jessy is a positive outlier in terms of his early development, Weid has followed the more typical path of a key forward.  I'm not anwhere near as interested in their performance for the MFC to date as what I am in their performance going forward.  Go Demons and go the Weid, bring us a flag, that's all I really care about in this debate.

Edited by Rodney (Balls) Grinter
  • Like 1

Before I get to excited I need to see him play consistently which will hopefully happen this season. 

If that happens then re-sign him if not then I have no doubt the collywoobles will go after him. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Royal Demon said:

We've got to lock him away before the filth get into his ears. They'd love the story of bringing the Grandson of a Club Legend home from a few years captivity by the enemy.

This! The filth would love to “bring him home” (or maybe kidnap him) at sometime in the future. Lock him away and throw away the key lest Eddie comes sniffing!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Fork 'em said:

This is a young hungry squad that appear to be genuinely enjoying their footy together ATM. 
Reckon he'll stay till we have at least 3 flags.

So is this breaking news - "Weed to leave in 2022"??

• Like 1

If he leaves after 3 MFC flags I'd thank him for his service and wish him all the best without a skeric of ill feeling

• Like 2
  • Love 1

11 hours ago, Rodney (Balls) Grinter said:

Sorry, but I'm joining @wrecka45 on crashing the Weid love-in.  Weid has presented a credible target and for 4 or 5 games in a good side playing great footy at the perfect time in big games.  Jesse provided a good target and proven goal kicker over 4 seasons in a team which was absolute poo in his first season.

Not comparing apples with apples. 

Jessy is a positive outlier in terms of his early development, Weid has followed the more typical path of a key forward.  I'm not anwhere near as interested in their performance for the MFC to date as what I am in their performance going forward.  Go Demons and go the Weid, bring us a flag, that's all I really care about in this debate.

I'm with you.  Weid has potential but has been great in 1 game & solid in maybe 3 other games - still a long, long, long way to go.

Has the turning circle of the Titanic & is poor below the knees.  Have a look at his ruck work in his last few games - its worse than horrible.

We are all hopeful but the comments on here are silly - he is a work in progress and a million miles from being a reliable key forward.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, Cranky Franky said:

I'm with you.  Weid has potential but has been great in 1 game & solid in maybe 3 other games - still a long, long, long way to go.

Has the turning circle of the Titanic & is poor below the knees.  Have a look at his ruck work in his last few games - its worse than horrible.

We are all hopeful but the comments on here are silly - he is a work in progress and a million miles from being a reliable key forward.

A bit cranky this morning 'Franky'....

His turning circle is ok for a big man, he's pretty good below his knees and he won't need to do a whole lot of ruck work.

He is a work in progress and progressing quite well I would think.

Not a million miles off but still some work to do.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Neil Crompton said:

Sorry CF. I might be wrong but I can’t think of too many big men (194+) in our squad that are better than him “below their knees”.

Hogan is/was a sensational ball handler off the deck

• Like 1

BTW I do like the look of what the Weid is becomes, just don't want to count any chickens.  The thought of Tommy, Sammy and big Pruess imposing themselves in our forward line is very mouth watering though.

• Like 2

Hogan is a special talent and we’re fooling ourselves to think he won’t be missed. Weed shows a lot of promise but how he performs in the longer term is yet to be determined. 

• Like 4

I'm going to be a bit more fanciful and say a cross between an angry Mithen and a dissatisfied Carey will do me just fine........

• Like 1

3 hours ago, chook fowler said:

Hogan is a special talent and we’re fooling ourselves to think he won’t be missed. Weed shows a lot of promise but how he performs in the longer term is yet to be determined. 

sage words Mr Chook

In a strange way we are in a similar position to Collingwood with Mason Cox. Like Cox, Sam W had a good finals series but the jury is still out on their long term impact on the game.

Looking forward to seeing how Sam goes as a full time member of the senior team.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chook fowler said:

A 2018 record of 0 out of 6 against top 8 teams with Hogan versus 4 out of 5 when Weid replaced him tells me we might not be fooling ourselves....

Can’t wait to see what Weid does when he and TMac are the options against Carlton etc

Edited by Watson11
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1