Pies fans want out of QB Big freeze match

pineapple dee

5 hours ago, Wadda We Sing said:

They hate it because of the Daniher thing. It doesnt have anything to do with them they seem to think. They want it to be a Melbourne Essendon day. I think i could actually see that happening. Then again who wants to give Essendon anything.

If I had my way (and I haven't) Ireckon the match should be between Melb and St Kilda or Footscray. Collingwood, Essendon ,Richmond and Carlton ( even when they are not winning)  get all the big "blockbusters" Channel 7 do not know Melbourne and St Kilda exist hence they send BT to "commentate" and all he can do is talk about the Ice slide and Collingwood cheer squad etc, but not the footy.

• Like 1

The AFL head-honchos line up each January to shine the CFC boots with their tongues, humiliating themselves by bowing and scraping to their preferences, giving them every fixture advantage and ground advantage, and they whine about not liking the Ponsiford Stand location and facilities? Give me a break.

Tell someone who cares you pack of underachieving, IQ-deficient, footy-ignorance-dwelling, neanderthal whingers.

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Maldonboy38 said:

The AFL head-honchos line up each January to shine the CFC boots with their tongues, humiliating themselves by bowing and scraping to their preferences, giving them every fixture advantage and ground advantage, and they whine about not liking the Ponsiford Stand location and facilities? Give me a break.

Tell someone who cares you pack of underachieving, IQ-deficient, footy-ignorance-dwelling, neanderthal whingers.

I gather the Pies are your second team?

14 minutes ago, chook fowler said:

I gather the Pies are your second team?

Chook, I have a generational hatred for the Pies that comes down my mother's line to me spanning more than 100 years. And their supporters give the absolute jimmy-brits. But I don't hate them like I used to. I reserve that for Carlton and Essendon, with a quickly emerging loathing of North and GWS. 

• Like 4

I love it how they reffer to the game as a nothing game lol. Their team had a chance to get into the eight and blew it, also love how this game means nothing to them and the players don't care, well sorry to tell you scumbags the look on your coaches and players face spoke a thousand words after the game and you reckon they don't care hahahaha bunch of tossers. You reckon they'll care later on in R23 yeah will see Collingsooks, as the old saying goes winners are grinners and losers can go and get fu#$@%??

• Like 2

Pfft, if they don't want to play it any more they can get stuffed.

It's been good of them to let us have the home game every year but that wasn't pure generosity from Eddie. When we were awful, by making this an away game they guaranteed themselves a big game on a public holiday (there's exposure in that even when we were tripe) and then they largely avoided having home games against us which frees up room to host other, bigger clubs. Plus another game at the G.

If the AFL decided to alternate home-away we certainly couldn't complain. But the rest is just Collingwood whinging at its finest.

• Like 2

From what Adam Treloar said this afternoon (Tue) about it, he and the team are rapt to be involved with the Big Freeze. Says for him it's right up there with Anzac Day, spoke admiringly of Neale and the atmosphere. 

Plays like he's got an ego the size of the Southern Stand, but comes across really well on the radio. Seems to have a regular spot "from the players' perspective" or something like that.

Seriously, hit must be absolute hell for the CFC to have to put up week-in week-out with a supporter base like that??!!

• Like 2

13 hours ago, pineapple dee said:

The pies fans are annoyed at losing a match to the Dees on QB and want to pull out of the Big Freeze match.  I would have thought they were the perfect opponent for the game.  They build a big lead (28 points ) then Freeze. Long may the tradition continue !!!

Not sure why they would be looking for a way out of "their grand final", but ok, if you dont want the big stage, in front of a big crowd, fine, suit yourself.

We could give your charity game away to a more deserving side anyway, such as an emerging Brisbane.

Showcase their great young talent, over an aging, overrated mob like Colonwood.

And take your soon to be sacked, hopeless loser coach with you.

I would actually like to see the AFL take the fund raising part of this and have a Fight the Beast round where the focus of all games is on the fund raising. Keep the big freeze aspect in the QB game, and maybe as was suggested by one disgruntled Pies supporter on Big Footy, have us playing Essendrug, as the Daniher association is shared by the two clubs. The Pies fans will soon enough realise what they have lost and can wallow in their misery come every QB round.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

The Collingwood supporters on that board and those who whinge about "charity" are too thick to see the benefits their own club gets out of the day. Do you really think Eddie would do anything solely out of the goodness of his heart? He doesn't do anything that doesn't benefit Collingwood in some way. They get to bank another game at the G, they have sole ownership over reserved seating in the Ponsford stand and they get the exposure of another marquee/standalone game on the footy calendar.

Agree. Eddie won't pass on free publicity.

in addition I'm not sure how long after danihers passing will the game revolve around mnd fundraising.

1 hour ago, bandicoot said:

in addition I'm not sure how long after danihers passing will the game revolve around mnd fundraising.

I have to admit this thought also crossed my mind, but I thought it too tasteless to say out loud.

• Like 3

I would be happy to share QB as a home game every second year if it meant that we received four or five marquee home games on Friday and Thursday nights to balance things out. 

Personally, I think we would be more of an attraction to tv audiences ATM than Hawthorn or Collingwood who get the lion's share of such fixtures.

• Like 6

15 hours ago, demonstone said:

You can understand Pies fans being upset, they've just narrowly lost what has now become their Grand Final.

Someone on BF said Melbourne treats QB as their GF. I said the Pies do too, that's why they choked.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, bandicoot said:

I would've thought it would continue in his honour. Not that I really want to think about that, but being pragmatic about it.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Whispering_Jack said:

I would be happy to share QB as a home game every second year if it meant that we received four or five marquee home games on Friday and Thursday nights to balance things out. 

Personally, I think we would be more of an attraction to tv audiences ATM than Hawthorn or Collingwood who get the lion's share of such fixtures.

If we continue to improve we get more marquee games as well. One day it will be Collingwood scraping to play us on QB. No need to concede anything.

Edited by america de cali

13 minutes ago, america de cali said:

If we continue to improve we get more marquee games as well. One day it will be Collingwood scraping to play us on QB. No need to concede anything.

we will need to have a sustained run of many years to replace the big boys.

FTA television is interested in one thing only as it continues its death spiral (see Channel 10) ... ratings and we don't deliver it.

The Bulldogs were a fairy tale story and got a few prime time games this year but in truth their crowds have been disappointing. St Kilda v Bulldogs ... the then up and comers against the Premiers drew a crowd of around 35,000.

It's going to be a hard road for a team that a few weeks ago played on a non FTA game before 5000 people when on the same weekend Essendon and Richmond drew 90,000.

The plus is that it is much easier to get a good seat for most MFC games

• Like 1

It would be sad if the Melbourne-Collingwood QB fixture was dumped for precisely this reason: it is one of the few blockbuster matches that reflects the cultural history of the game rather than the contrived marketing of modern blockbusters such as the Essendon-Collingwood Anzac Day game.

Demons and Pies on QB harks back as someone else noted in this thread to 1958 and the biggest ever home and away attendance on...wait for it...Queen's Birthday. That was also an era in which a Melb-Coll grand final was played with thousands of spectators sitting inside the boundary line so great was the rivalry and the interest. (That was 1955 or '56. Ticketing was introduced the following year.)

So when I say our QB fixture reflects cultural history I mean it's authentic and evolved from the game's pre-commercial, pre-industrialised past. It's from the time when no-one talked about the football 'industry' and when retired footballers went back to the bush to coach or simply went back to their old jobs and were not guaranteed a future as media personalities.

Kevin Sheedy's Anzac option at the beginning was opportunistic and phoney by comparison, although it has developed into something more since. Other true blockbusters would be Carlton-Richmond, Collingwood-Carlton - rivalries that reflect the battles of the past and raise passions. Hawthorn-Sydney and Geelong-Hawthorn are genuine modern blockbusters, especially the Cats and Hawks.

I doubt QB will go at least in part because this year was such a brilliant contest and neutrals loved it. They loved it for the closeness and the quality of the game, Howe's screamer and finally because Collingwood lost. Narrowly.

Whatever the Magpie nuffies think, the deal the MCC gave the Woods, gifting them a social club area for every game they play at the 'G means they gain plenty commercially from QB even if we do win the gate. 

Edited by pitmaster
  • Like 2