GOODBYE MITCH CLARK

Reminds me a little of Dustin Martin last year, his manager was shopping him round & even taking a tour of GWS facilities. Media had Martin 100% gone from Richmond & the public saying Martin owes Richmond after everything he'd put them through.

Yeah, but Martin was AFL ready.....

• Like 1

Interesting point made earlier re PP. The language of Roos last night seemed that he was very hesitant on welcoming Mitch back, trying to suggest that its actually unlikely he will come back.

Perhaps it is all positioning in order to prevent the PP being put in jeopardy. Given the PP is decided before the end of October, maybe they are keeping their powder dry.

Hope we land a PP and then Mitch signs up as well.

We need something like that to happen.

• Like 3

Reminds me a little of Dustin Martin last year, his manager was shopping him round & even taking a tour of GWS facilities. Media had Martin 100% gone from Richmond & the public saying Martin owes Richmond after everything he'd put them through.

Except no-one wanted martin. He had no choice but to go back to the Toiges with striped tail between legs..

HIs recent track record is not a huge endorsement of his future contribution.

15 games over three years, followed by depression, retirement, rejuvenation, opportunism...

Mind you, fit and firing I'd welcome him back with open arms... :)

Managers are the used car salesmen of the afl.

Surely pimps are a better analogy

• Like 1

How do you know anybody wants Clark? Because his manager said?

Exactly. I wouldn't be surprised if his manager leaked the Saints, Bombers, Hawks rumours to generate interest from other clubs as well as to inflate his worth/demand to other clubs and to the Dees.

• Like 2

All of roosy's recruitment strategies to this point would favour a ready to play star in their prime (ie Mitch) over a priority pick. The club obviously knows some vital info that we don't have to be considering going with the draft rather than welcoming Mitch back with open arms. As others have assumed, my guess is Mitch's body is either crocked or mentally he's not ready for the caning that the group is up for this preseason.

His prime is 15 odd games in 3 seasons.. I wouldn't be bashing down his door with huge dollars.

When Robbo said ‘he is gone, he won’t be at Melbourne next year,’ Roosy looked like he was nodding in agreement.

I liked that he was very strong in saying that Clark was our ‘equal best player with Jonesy’, not our best. Seemed very important to acknowledge the player that’s been leading the way on field and has committed to the club. In fact Roosy did well to positively acknowledge a lot of the staff who had much to do with initially getting Mitch to the club and then supporting him. Thought he generally controlled the narrative well on 360.

I think the best scenario from here is to secure something along the lines of a second round draft pick. Clark on the open market is probably worth a latefirst round pick, but can’t see us getting that without AFL intervention. Any less than a rd 2, then I wonder if we’d say no (perhaps after AFL mediation), let Mitch walk and then ask AFL for compensation due to a materially anomalous outcome. As ever, the AFL have discretion when it comes to assistance for clubs, and this may be a case where the media and opposition clubs won’t be shouting us down in unison for a change (we know that some still will).

• Like 2

My optimistic opinion;

MFC;

- have applied for special consideration to get Mitch on the rookie list, and a greater salary than a standard rookie

- will certainly receive a Band 1 compo pick for losing Frawley

AFL;

- will instruct MC and manager to "float" him around as trade bait, indicating clubs are interested, ensuring the footy world feels sorry for the MFC

- have instructed MC to remove any MFC-related content from social media to appear that his time there is done

- will be able to justify giving us Band 1 for Frawley (which is likely to be overs given the expected contract terms), as it appears likely that he (MC) will be leaving us for SFA

Other clubs;

- will be satisfied that we didn't get a Priority Pick for performance (but being totally blindsided by the approved special consideration as mentioned above)

- will accept the compo pick for Frawley being higher than "market value"

We come out smelling like roses because we couldn't get a deal done for MC, but have been able to rookie him to give him "another chance".

We get way overs for Frawley, because reality is, he's not worth a Pick 3 (Judd was traded to Carlton for Pick 3!).

AFL look good as they allowed us to put MC on rookie list after no-one was able to offer him a senior spot.

My pessimistic opinion;

- MC is a khunt

- Our condition is downgraded from critical to palliative

In the mean time, I will sit on the fence and have zero opinion until I hear more. I do have this weird Neeld-like twitch building around my right eye though, but I'm currently controlling it...just.

Edited by billy2803
  • Like 7

I think we need to stop the view that players can just leave when they like or get out asap. Lock them in a year bwfore they become free agents or trade them beforehand. The compo picks for free agents wont last forever

• Like 2

Did any other WA viewers of Talking Footy notice that the Mitch article was deleted from the program. I recorded it, expecting to see what was summarised here on DL only to see a short excerpt of Roos comments on 360 - nothing else including any of the commentary by the hosts.

Very odd I thought that within the two hours of it airing in Melbourne, something happened that caused Channel 7 to edit out the content for Perth.

Anyone?

Other clubs will obviously ask questions about mitch fitness and health, few sides will pass up the opportunity to look at a ready made KP player or discuss what he wants with his manager, however they may find that like melbourne they are not going to be offering what he was on in the previous years, he is damaged goods in more ways than one and has done severe damage to his brand. His manager is a major nuffnuff who should be sacked for incompetence. If he had played his cards right with Melbourne and talked with them instead of going behind their back we could have potentially worked something out that saved everyones face and careers. Now mitch is looking far less attractive to many, quite a few clubs and the general public at large. it will be interesting to see what Karma brings him and the club he ends up at.

Maybe Roos said to Clark yesterday "this is what we are willing to offer you, go away and think about it, if that's not enough for you, we'll find a suitable trade".

Spot on, I reckon. Clearly his manager thinks he's worth much more than MFC have offered him, and unfortunately for principles such as loyalty, gratitude and fairness, that's his job. His entire reason for existing is to maximise the monetary earnings of his clients. The MFC will be fully aware and astute in weighing risk against expenditure. Clearly if money wins, and everything we know about the nature of the modern career footballer suggests it will, we will be screaming for compensation. Ethics take a back seat now, although they will be flown and flaunted, just like so called 'equalisation'.

• Like 1

I think it's more likely that the club has not had the chance to do any of its due diligence yet because the dialogue with Clark has only just started. We're still talking about this story as if it's finished when it's only just starting.

I have no reason to believe the conversation went any differently to how Roos said it did and I'd be staggered if money has mentioned at this stage.

Another consideration is workers comp based

Any reoccurrence of an injury illness even at a new employer reverts to the original claim

MFC would need a complete clearance as returning to the afl with another club could bring on recurrence particularly if confronted by many of the opinions likely to come from this forum

MFC have handled the situation well so far and I trust that will continue

Did any other WA viewers of Talking Footy notice that the Mitch article was deleted from the program. I recorded it, expecting to see what was summarised here on DL only to see a short excerpt of Roos comments on 360 - nothing else including any of the commentary by the hosts.

Very odd I thought that within the two hours of it airing in Melbourne, something happened that caused Channel 7 to edit out the content for Perth.

Anyone?

Just what this thread needs: a Conspiricy Theory!

Edited by CBDees