POSTGAME: Rd 08 vs Geelong

20 hours ago, Demon Disciple said:

Who the heck has a wallet nowadays, that’s what his phones for

Me, it's my 2021 premiership wallet. It goes everywhere with me.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, YesitwasaWin4theAges said:

Best Defence ever in the AFL, go on and win another flag boys @ the G.

What I found interesting in the after-match commentary on 774 was the lack of praise for our team
Comments that I recall included

-We still haven’t got a functioning forward line - that is why we had so many individual goal kickers on the night

- We were bailed out of the finals 2 years running- so that will be a monkey on our back come final again : and

Although our defence was good on the night, coaches of other sides come finals will have worked out and beat our systems.

Strangely, I like how we are being overlooked, I hope it continues all year. 

Edited by Wodjathefirst
  • Like 15

Ultimately I think Bowey and Salem come back in for Woey and Billings over the next couple of weeks. It will be very interesting to see what we do with Mcadam over the next couple of weeks and whether we take out a tall in Van Rooyen/Turner or if we give Chin a chance to rest his knee. Otherwise the side is really settled which is great for overall cohesion.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, SPC said:

Fritta has Stephen Hawkins type Footy IQ. Bloke is as clever as I’ve seen since Aaron Davey, except his height and marking give him a few more strings to his bow. 

This. It wasnt just the kick, watch the whole passage of play. The way he worked his way to get possession, the subtle nudge just enough the put Henry out of the contest, then basically in one motion after getting the ball and putting it on his boot at just the right angle and force of contact with his boot. Pure genius. 

• Like 11
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Wodjathefirst said:

What I found interesting in the after-match commentary on 774 was the lack of praise for our team

-We still haven’t got a functioning forward line - that is why we had so many individual goal kickers on the night

- We were bailed out of the finals 2 years running- so that will be a monkey on our back come final again : and

Although our defence was good on the night, coaches of other sides will work out and beat our systems come finals.

I listened to the abc post match too and had the same thought. What were they on about?

The comment about other teams working our our defensive sytem come finals was bizarre. I mean they haven't in three previous seasons why would they this year?

Is it kez washington? I've never heard of her before and she sounded reasonable enough. But she was totally agin us.

Asked a leading question about whether our supposed model of grinding teams and keeping them to a low score, but not be able to score highly ourselves, is a strategy that can win us a flag.

What on earth is she talking about?

One, we won a flag in 2021 - destroying teams in the process.

And two, yes we went out in straight sets the next two seasons, but it's not as if we were a low scoring in team in either year.

Or this year for that matter. Our average winning margin this season is 29 points for pete's sake.

I'm increasingly of the view that 99% of media just don't get it.

If we kicked accurately in the pies and blues finals we win. It  really is that simple.

Missing goals is not a failure of sytem. It is poor skill execution. 

Goody almost said as much in his presser. He must be so sick of questions about our forward line.

All that said, I did agree with the monkey on the back come finals. We do. Let's finish top 4 and get the job done.

Edited by binman
  • Like 12
  • Clap 1

10 minutes ago, binman said:

I listened to the abc post match too and had the same thought. What were they on about?

The comment about other teams working our our defensive sytem come finals was bizarre. I mean they haven't in three previous seasons why would they this year?

Is it kez washington? I've never heard of her before and she sounded reasonable enough. But she was totally agin us.

Asked a leading question about whether our supposed model of grinding teams and keeping them to a low score, but not be able to score highly ourselves, is a strategy that can win us a flag.

What on earth is she talking about?

One, we won a flag in 2021 - destroying teams in the process.

And two, yes we went out in straight sets the next two seasons, but it's not as if we were a low scoring in team in either year.

Or this year for that matter. Our average winning margin this season is 29 points for pete's sake.

I'm increasingly of the view that 99% of media just don't get it.

If we kicked accurately in either the ones and blues game we win. It's really that simple.

Missing goals is not a failure of sytem. It is poor skill execution. 

Goody almost said as much in his presser. He must be so sick of questions about our forward line.

All that said, I did agree with the monkey on the back come finals. We do. Let's finish top 4 and get the job done.

Being honest I would classify myself more as a passionate supporter than an astute football follower.  Having said that, when I listened to that commentary after that game I was gobsmacked with some of the dribble that they were going on about.  

• Like 4

Posted (edited)

I heard the 774 post match too. The Lingers interview was the best bit of it. Otherwise, for some reason they feel a need to delegitimise the Dees. Why that is, who knows, but it always contains a false narrative about defence and attack that the stats just don’t back up. The other thing they completely ignore is that we’d lost 75% of our well-functioning forward line by the finals anyway. Muppets. 

Edited by Webber
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 2

6 hours ago, binman said:

Pay that. Excellent comparison 

Like the cats, Serena has never actually been beaten by an opponent. 

Both only ever lose it because, 'whilst we are not making excuses we [insert lame excuse here - options include covid, gastro, just had a day off, imply robbed by the umpire, played poorly but still almost won because we are so good and our opponents are not in our league, focus is the finals and schedule].'

Serena so entitled - and tennis a disgraceful sport for entitlement as it means $s if the "stars" are not happy so the stars get away with it.

Scott and Hawkins are entitled too.

Never humble.

I used to like the Cats but not with those entitled types.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Well we had a smooth run into the G got a park no worries and we’re in our seats by 7:10, good crowd in the Warne Stand L2, Demon Army really well represented over and below to our right. Crowd had a positive vibe, familiar faces all smiling. Loved the start with both teams, coaches and umps embracing for a minutes silence for our fallen domestic violence victims. Then the game started and the contest was tough brutal and tight, so much great play but so little reward, the anxiety levels were extreme, the excitement and joy of staying with our loathed opposition was written on our faces and at half time we thought we had their measure. The tension and passion was building into 3/4 time, still nothing in it, we felt like we were on top but couldn’t finish. In the last quarter the crowd noise was building and building the Demon Army raised the bar the drum beat was getting to me and in the last frantic ten minutes we were all going off, jumping up and celebrating Max, Kozzie, Fritta, Windsor and then Fritta’s dribbler we all leapt in the air clapped, high fived the people around us and complete strangers. Then we sang the song with much gusto 2-3 times. Then resumed our normal beings and filed out into the frigid night air to catch up with and hug our family members that sit on L1. Great trip home lots of chatter and regaling the events of the night, I think we extinguished our angst from last years finals on Saturday night, what do you think WCW. This is what football is about three generations having a sensational night together.!!!

Wonderful post, DZ. Love your feedback on how we looked and sounded. We were down two giant flags as both wavers were ill and couldn’t be there. I’ve seen footage from the side as well as the front and I don’t think the absence of the flags had a negative impact on the aesthetics. In short, we still looked [censored] amazing! 🤩

To answer your question, YES I think for most Dees fans the angst from last year’s finals was extinguished last night. There’s sure to be the odd spot-fire of course, but for mine any lingering smoulder was extinguished when we had two wins five days apart in Adelaide against both home sides. A win against Carlton will surely have even the most rusted-on pessimists enjoying this crazy beautiful journey we’re on. ❤️💙👊🏼

• Like 5
  • Love 3

34 minutes ago, Webber said:

The other thing they completely ignore is that we’d lost 75% of our well-functioning forward line by the finals anyway. Muppets. 

Which is almost exactly what Goodwin said today when interviewed on the abc footy show when asked for the millionth time about our forward line and going out in straight sets.

Good interview actually, but he couldn't hide his annoyance.

Goody  made the point that you work all year to have a shot, we were were in 'great shape' but luck plays a huge part and we lost our forward line 2 weeks out of finals. 

We just don't have a sexy game and people either don't understand it, think football is only about offence - elite defence be damned - or are clueless. 

• Like 13
  • Love 1
  • Clap 2

Posted (edited)
50 minutes ago, Webber said:

I heard the 774 post match too. The Lingers interview was the best bit of it. Otherwise, for some reason they feel a need to delegitimise the Dees. Why that is, who knows, but it always contains a false narrative about defence and attack that the stats just don’t back up. The other thing they completely ignore is that we’d lost 75% of our well-functioning forward line by the finals anyway. Muppets. 

I love how they ignore that crucial fact. And fail to consider it. 

Combined with the fact we only lost both 2023 finals by one kick.

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 5
  • Love 2
  • Clap 1

Posted (edited)

Thought I’d post this cracking behind the goals image of our defensive wall stopping the ball coming out of our forward 50.

Good luck getting it out of there with 5 defenders in a wall as the first line and then May and Lever supporting line. Looks like the footy version of some ancient Roman battle formation.

IMG_1632.thumb.jpeg.dd169f0908a25dc471c2988a03a67d9d.jpeg

Edited by Chook
  • Like 17
  • Thanks 3
  • Love 8

11 minutes ago, Chook said:

Thought I’d post this cracking behind the goals image of our defensive wall stopping the ball coming out of our forward 50.

Good luck getting it out of there with 5 defenders in a wall as the first line and then May and Lever supporting line. Looks like the footy version of some ancient Roman battle formation.

screen cap for the gods

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Chook said:

Yes saw this on First Crack, I liked King's call, defensive p0rn, it is pure s3x, so well drilled they could take part in the Edinburgh tattoo. Anyone who doesn't take us seriously honestly is just demonstrating their own insecurities. I thought we were a few straight kicks away from '21 finals style Boomshakalaka. We are going to get haters, we are scary. I also liked May's IV when he said he knows we are going well if Langdons getting alot of the ball. 

Just quietly I felt like last night demonstrated that the coaching team is humming as well.

Stats are honestly the crutch of many feeble minded scribes, they tell you what happend but rarely why. I say this because it is rote for media to roll out Melbourne is defensively strong, best last 4 years blah blah, the 'what', but what I look at, is the number of defenders that have rolled through (see below). To my recall it has been 18 players who have rolled through and they have consistently adhered to a system, that has rarely broken down. That shows strong coaching and culture, this is the 'why', few commentators are willing to engage with. Wilson, Purple, Cornes, etc just don't have the bandwidth. Every club is trying to do what we do, very few are close but those who are too dumb to articulate 'why' we are good, are scared of us, we are the monster under the bed, the bump in the night, so they denigrate our coach, team and culture. That's ok we are coming for their club.

Feel free to amend anyone missing from the Men's department:

May

Lever

Petty

Brayshaw

Salem

Jetta

Tomlinson

Howes

Turner

Rivers

McVee

Bowey

McDonald x 2

Woewodin

Hibberd 

Hunt

Wagner

• Like 5
  • Love 2

6 hours ago, Wodjathefirst said:

Although our defence was good on the night, coaches of other sides come finals will have worked out and beat our systems.

Theses commentators get seduced by pretty football, they'd rather see a 40 goal Shoot out than a tough defensive contest.

• Like 3
  • Clap 1

On 04/05/2024 at 07:14, Wilson7 said:

AFL.com.au - Clayton Oliver records 30 disposals for the first time since Round 2. His match tonight included 31 disposals at 81 efficiency, four clearances, 17 contested possessions, eight score involvements, 32 pressure acts and four inside 50's.

Don't forget the 9 intercept possessions, 4th most on the ground!

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Clap 1

9 hours ago, Superunknown said:

Most of them wouldn’t know how to get to the MCG. 

Mind you they know the way to the G when they play "Poo & Wee's".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Wonderful post, DZ. Love your feedback on how we looked and sounded. We were down two giant flags as both wavers were ill and couldn’t be there. I’ve seen footage from the side as well as the front and I don’t think the absence of the flags had a negative impact on the aesthetics. In short, we still looked [censored] amazing! 🤩

To answer your question, YES I think for most Dees fans the angst from last year’s finals was extinguished last night. There’s sure to be the odd spot-fire of course, but for mine any lingering smoulder was extinguished when we had two wins five days apart in Adelaide against both home sides. A win against Carlton will surely have even the most rusted-on pessimists enjoying this crazy beautiful journey we’re on. ❤️💙👊🏼

I'm surprised with an earlier comment you made with Jay (mumble mumble) and wife that the Dee's cheer squad may not be the largest and noisiest but by God they look brilliant on Saturday night. It looked like the whole bay was up and about. Very proud of you guys.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

Depending where you like to get your news from, will inform whether you get a populist narrative or something a bit more nuanced (and certainly one that works well for my echo chamber).

The following is some love for the Dees.

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/article/2024/may/06/afl-melbourne-demons-geelong-cats-australian-rules-football-entertain-show-must-go-on-weather-turns

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 5

1 hour ago, Hawny for Gawny said:

Don't forget the 9 intercept possessions, 4th most on the ground!

Which points to yet another intersring tactical move from the coach even most dees fans is a tactical plonker.

Clarry was playing a similar defensive role Gus often played. A kick behind play defensive side.

They also used clarry a lot to set up transition, something they have been doing a bit off, but it was really noticeable sat night..

It suits him because whilst he is not a bullet kick like say salo, his footy iq is off the charts, he sees the field brilliantly and he makes good decisions.

He also doesn't get rushed and can take and break tackles.

It means they often have clarry at the defensive end if the chain and tracc up the ground in dangerous offensive positions - think his kick to Fritter to set up the wonder goal.

Powerful combo and a great use of clarry's footy iq - which I think is maybe the best I've ever seen  though increasingly I'm blown away by how well koz reads the game and how quickly he thinks.

On that last point, watch his goal he sharks from a handball. Genius.

Nine out of ten players go to the cats player and tackle or put frontal pressure on. 

Not koz. He pauses for a split second, knowing a handball might come and then moves to intercept before the cats player even makes contact with the ball. Just incredible.

• Like 6
  • Love 4

10 hours ago, DeeZone said:

Well we had a smooth run into the G got a park no worries and we’re in our seats by 7:10, good crowd in the Warne Stand L2, Demon Army really well represented over and below to our right. Crowd had a positive vibe, familiar faces all smiling. Loved the start with both teams, coaches and umps embracing for a minutes silence for our fallen domestic violence victims. Then the game started and the contest was tough brutal and tight, so much great play but so little reward, the anxiety levels were extreme, the excitement and joy of staying with our loathed opposition was written on our faces and at half time we thought we had their measure. The tension and passion was building into 3/4 time, still nothing in it, we felt like we were on top but couldn’t finish. In the last quarter the crowd noise was building and building the Demon Army raised the bar the drum beat was getting to me and in the last frantic ten minutes we were all going off, jumping up and celebrating Max, Kozzie, Fritta, Windsor and then Fritta’s dribbler we all leapt in the air clapped, high fived the people around us and complete strangers. Then we sang the song with much gusto 2-3 times. Then resumed our normal beings and filed out into the frigid night air to catch up with and hug our family members that sit on L1. Great trip home lots of chatter and regaling the events of the night, I think we extinguished our angst from last years finals on Saturday night, what do you think WCW. This is what football is about three generations having a sensational night together.!!!

Great up close and personal summary DZ. The commentators knew we were "ON" Saturday night, and there was nothing they could do and say to change that serious expression on the faces. There was one especially pleasing  acknowledgement that we were a genuine contender now. That's nice.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, demon3165 said:

Just wait after another pre season or two if he continues on this path will be a gun.

Talent to burn; clever, a thinking-man's approach to the game; knits up the run between half-back and half-forward; gives me the shivers - doing the Stan Alves time and again - truly, a wonderful footballer.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Amazing how Geelong supporters are drinking up the Chris Scott narrative that they were "off" and it's a positive that they still only lost by 10 points.

This all conveniently ignores our own terrible kicking at goal. Also doesn't count the number of opportunities we gave up without even taking a shot, like Kozzie turning over instead of having a shot in the 4th quarter.

They were lucky we didn't win by 6 goals.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, seventyfour said:

Amazing how Geelong supporters are drinking up the Chris Scott narrative that they were "off" and it's a positive that they still only lost by 10 points.

This all conveniently ignores our own terrible kicking at goal. Also doesn't count the number of opportunities we gave up without even taking a shot, like Kozzie turning over instead of having a shot in the 4th quarter.

They were lucky we didn't win by 6 goals.

The number of consecutive behinds we kicked was disappointing but at the same time, the inaccuracy that mounted was also a clear indication of just how comprehensively we were 'killing' the Cats by having the opportunity to take set-shots so frequently, ideally within relatively close range. On rough estimate, around 6-7 goals might well have been the final outcome. That is a stark but very pleasant realisation. Their own forwards were freaked-out by our backline efficiencies, putting enormous pressure onto the alleged 'quality' of their goal-kicking reputations. Ours, in turn, are just starting to solidify.

Edited by Deemania since 56
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1