Any word on Angus?

pitmaster

I didn't see Angus at Open Training this morning although Melkie and Petty were both wheeled out. Literally, I mean, on a golf cart.

Probably Angus is taking it very easy, but I am wondering if any demonlanders better connected than me have an idea of how he is.

An update would be appreciated.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, pitmaster said:

I didn't see Angus at Open Training this morning although Melkie and Petty were both wheeled out. Literally, I mean, on a golf cart.

Probably Angus is taking it very easy, but I am wondering if any demonlanders better connected than me have an idea of how he is.

An update would be appreciated.

Usually with concussion it's pretty much rest at home.

With his history and from experience, it's generally just rest at home with very limited activities from physical and mentally. Also limiting phone time, reading and anything that makes you focus in on something for a period of time.

This is usually the standard protocol for about 2-3 days generally. 

It'd pretty much just giving the brain time to settle from the physical trauma.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 3

My 20 y/o grandson got knocked out stone cold in big surf a few months back and was unconscious for at least ten minutes. he was off work for 6 weeks and a dazzle says - no screens/phones/social media for him for over a month. Still has low energy days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 5
  • Sad 4

20 minutes ago, Diamond Tim said:

My 20 y/o grandson got knocked out stone cold in big surf a few months back and was unconscious for at least ten minutes. he was off work for 6 weeks and a dazzle says - no screens/phones/social media for him for over a month. Still has low energy days.

Yes, same for my friend I visited today before open training.  They got a bad knock at krav maga (first time concussion) and are now off work, all screens, little to no focused reading and the like.  Listening to them describe how the past 3 weeks have been makes me think we will not see Gus for the rest of this season given his history of knocks...

Podcasts are my friend's main source of entertainment, so at least that is a positive.  We all know Gus loves a podcast!

• Like 7

Even for a novice concussion, he wouldn't be out and about for up to a week.   

Angus would be, sadly, all too familiar with the protocols, which are now even more rigorous than when he was last concussed.   I would be very surprised were he to be involved with anything at the club until after PF weekend, and not likely to play even if we somehow do get to the GF.

Thanks Maynard, you dirty dog. 😠

• Like 19

1 hour ago, Pirlo said:

Petracca said in his presser that he's "not great". Sore neck on top of his concussion symptoms. 

I posted on another thread that a DA buddy at Gosch’s this morning asked Max how Gussy is doing. Max replied, “Not good.” 

• Like 2
  • Sad 9
  • Angry 2

I’m not a neurologist but with Gus’ history of head knocks and concussions, I’d be very very watchful and careful with Gus.

He’s probably suffering badly right now. 
He’s definitely gone for the season now and will have to recover both physically and mentally.

It was a dog act by that thug Maynard, on a bloke who 100% plays the contest fairly.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 6

I have to say the comments by Gawn and Trac worry me greatly, he was so close a few years ago to being done. Evidence suggests that these concussions are cumulative, and I can't help thinking about Paddy. I have been guilty of taking Gus for granted, we'll really miss him on several levels. Really hope to be wrong.  

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 4

I think he shouldn’t play again this season regardless of how we go. He can see how he recovers and think it all through in the off season. I realise I feel a bit like how I felt when schwartz did his knee for the second time. We were in the flag hunt at that point… but after he went down and did it again that dream was over. Big test for the club in how we respond to all this. we’ve really been dealt a tragic hand this end season. Petty, Melk and Brayshaw all possibly career ending. . I don’t know what’s true w Petty but a bad Lisfranc offers no guarentees of full return. Lots to play out I guess. 

My MFCSS says the dream is over. Hope to be wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

Can’t help but think that the timing of the 12 days protocol is very much influenced by the fact that most players get an opportunity to play footy after missing only one game.

Even more so when I hear more often than not from medical people not associated with the game that concussed players (no matter what game they play) should really not play for at least 3 to 4 weeks after incurring concussion.

My daughter fell of a pushbike, hit her head (had a helmet on that split at the temple region) was unconscious for only say 10 - 15 seconds and did not come good for at least a month.  In fact she endured quite a few migraines for the following 6 or more months.

I know there are varying levels of concussion out there. My guess is Gus’s was worse than average this time round.

Just guessing again here, in years to come as more evidence arises the 12 day protocol will be increased rather than stay the same. Certainly won’t be decreased 

Edited by Wodjathefirst
  • Like 6
  • Sad 2

Still very angry and emotional over this. Hope this isn’t the end of his career but  his long term health has to be number one priority and it not just the damage this hit has done but the damage another hit could do if he continues to play. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, The heart beats true said:

I’m fairly sure they aren’t allowed to attend the club for a prescribed amount of time as part of the protocol’s. Anyone know if this is correct?

True, recover away from the club and return to training once certain goals are achieved. As I mentioned earlier the contents of the medical report will play a big part in this, especially in relation to the severity of the blow. A neck injury as a consequence indicates severe impact. Lets not forget Gus wore a helmet which is supposed to offer some protection, yet he was still unconscious for a minute.

• Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Does Peter Jess know? Or is he sensationalising to gain PR for his class action? Not saying the class action is wrong but commenting on Brayshaw's situation seems to be politicising his situation.

This is a political issue. 
Laura Kane intervened because she knows full well what the [censored] is going down and how fast the league will be on its knees if they don’t practice what they preach about protecting the head. 

Apparently there are up to 25 unnamed current players who are part of the class action against the league. Gus could well be one of them. 

• Like 6
  • Shocked 2
  • Sad 2

8 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Does Peter Jess know? Or is he sensationalising to gain PR for his class action? Not saying the class action is wrong but commenting on Brayshaw's situation seems to be politicising his situation.

Peter Jess says this about every player who gets concussed 

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Peter Jess probably doesn't have to say anything as the king hit speaks for itself (in terms of an example of what the brain can be subjected to in our sport)

But the hit was a colossal hit so he's got every right to speak up and highlight the repercusions of such a hit

It would be a bit odd if he didn't say anything (and he would have been asked for his opinion)

As for what he actually knows with regards to Gus' future, referencing the 5 previous clinical concussions was pointed (in terms of one more and .....)

Edited by Macca
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1