• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell James Jordon

Demonland

59 minutes ago, Older demon said:

I know he has his critics and he rarely seems to run and gun preferring to stop and prop. But he may be playing to instructions, we don't know! 

In 2022, Jordan was one of our biggest momentum killers on the wing. Never played on, even when he had no pressure on him. Enabled the opposition to get back to our forward line in large numbers, making it very difficult to score. He's not the only one that did this, but certainly the most noticeable in my eyes. His influence in 2023 was minimal compared to 2022, given lack of opportunities. Didn't make the most of the opportunities he had though.

Hunter at least tries to move the ball on. He doesn't come to a complete halt with no pressure on him. His main issue is a lack of penetration in his kicking and lack of ability to kick the ball far.

Edited by Great Northern Summer
  • Like 6
  • Clap 1

1 hour ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Happily give him a go ahead of Hunter. I'm so over watching Gunter butcher our momentum 

Interesting - many here expressed belief that JJ didn’t play on quickly enough and stalled momentum. 

16 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Toby Bedford 2022 

James Jordon 2023 

If you drop them in a flash or play them as a sub over and over and over again, eventually they say enough and leave. 

Dees cannot say they wanted to retain him after treating him poorly.  Another player Goodwin just didn’t favour at all.  

Good luck to him. 

spirit - what you are saying, I think, is that Goody (our first 🏆coach in half a century) had different thoughts on JJ’s role and value than you.   
The club may well have wanted to retain him but not necessarily in our best 22-25, which I think is where you place him.  We still will need depth. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Toby Bedford 2022 

James Jordon 2023 

If you drop them in a flash or play them as a sub over and over and over again, eventually they say enough and leave. 

Dees cannot say they wanted to retain him after treating him poorly.  Another player Goodwin just didn’t favour at all.  

Good luck to him. 

Not everyone can play.  Goodwin has given more opportunities than many.   He is a good fringe player at Melb with the depth we have and he is never going to be a top liner.  To say he was treated poorly is not correct at all 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, BaliDemon said:

I’ll never understand why our coach didn’t bring him onto the ground in the final 10 minutes or so of the Grand Final. Yeah he got a medallion but it wouldn’t have hurt anyone to give the lad the memory of being out on the green stuff during an AFL premiership win. The game was well and truly iced. There was no reason not to. Pretty thoughtless from Goodwin I reckon.

All the best to you James. You played 20+ solid games in 2021 and deserved to be in that photo as much as any bloke out there. You are an MFC premiership player. 

The sub rule in 2021 was for medical reasons only, so technically he could only come on for an injury, which there was none in the GF.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jerry Lundergard said:

The sub rule in 2021 was for medical reasons only, so technically he could only come on for an injury, which there was none in the GF.

Harmes wanted to come off with a 'sore' calf

I'd be [censored] off if I was Jordon

Edited by adonski
  • Like 1
  • Thinking 1

35 minutes ago, Great Northern Summer said:

He might want to stay local, but I'm not sure he'll be bending over backwards to stay at the MFC.

He shopped himself to Essendon last year and was keen to leave. We were open to this, but had a change of mind when Brad Scott didn't make himself available to meet with Harmes early enough leading into the draft period, so the club ended up holding Harmes to his contract.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, but we would certainly be ahead if this went ahead - may have got a second round draft pick for him.

I met a bloke at training recently who said James is leaving to go to Essendon. Man claims that he knows the Harmes family.Just saying.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Toby Bedford 2022 

James Jordon 2023 

Good luck to him. 

Not being picked in the best 22 each week does not equate to “treating them poorly”

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Sub, sub, sub , dropped , in, sub 25 minutes , in, dropped … rinse and repeat  

Of course he should have got minutes at the end of the 21 GF.  

For a token appearance? I doubt that would have appeased him

• Like 1
  • Clap 1

50 minutes ago, Wilson7 said:

Nuh mate, he wasn't de-listed. One of the conditions of moving a player from senior to rookie list that year was when they came out of contract they would be a FA, just like a de-listed player that was re-drafted

Ah - thanks for clarifying!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Sub, sub, sub , dropped , in, sub 25 minutes , in, dropped … rinse and repeat  

Of course he should have got minutes at the end of the 21 GF.  

That's absolutely not treating him poorly but okay.. in fact Jordon should count himself lucky he was still able to get senior opportunities ahead of someone like Dunstan who was banging on 30 plus touches each game.

When he got his opportunity playing full games he was incredibly disappointing. In fact Goodwin even gave him a stretch of game to try and prove himself and he failed to do so, so back to the VFL he went.

Goodwin did the right thing. How did he go in his recent performance against Carlton when he was given another full opportunity?

• Like 7

21 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergard said:

It's because we comply and treat the AFL rules with respect.

This is not a reciprocal arrangement,  by the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

10 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

That's absolutely not treating him poorly but okay.. in fact Jordon should count himself lucky he was still able to get senior opportunities ahead of someone like Dunstan who was banging on 30 plus touches each game.

When he got his opportunity playing full games he was incredibly disappointing. In fact Goodwin even gave him a stretch of game to try and prove himself and he failed to do so, so back to the VFL he went.

Goodwin did the right thing. How did he go in his recent performance against Carlton when he was given another full opportunity?

Have to agree.

And for his supposed lack of opportunities he has still played 65 out of the last 74 games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Graeme Yeats' Mullet said:

Happily give him a go ahead of Hunter. I'm so over watching Gunter butcher our momentum 

Nup Hunter is far better than Jordon. It's just considered cool to dislike Hunter on this site.

Also, Langdon was more disappointing than Hunter this year but seems to escape criticism a lot more easily.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Great Northern Summer said:

Good luck to him.

Reality is, he's a very vanilla player. Serviceable, but doesn't excel in anything. Seems to be a player that may have been better suited to a previous era (i.e. late 90's / early 00s).

What is annoying is the players that have a point of difference that we let go (i.e. Bedford; even Hunt for his sheer pace - which we lack).

He was always going to go when he didn't sign the contract we had. I thought he was vanilla and can be replaced. He only got 2 possessions in his last half of footy for us.

• Like 2

It wasn't to be unfortunately but hopefully you can rind your place and mojo at the next station.

A very modest and humble fella.  Quiet achiever who shined at VFL level and had some VG moments and games in the seniors on occasions.  Stepping up to the AFL must very hard gig let alone staying there.

Always a mighty Demon premiership immortal

Good luck son

• Clap 1

I think he's been unlucky. 

The only unused sub is really unlucky. We should've had more foresight and got him on.

To then play nearly a full season on the wing before getting injured and dropped for finals is unlucky. Carried a big load and wasn't rewarded. I had no issue with it, he tired at the end of the year and got injured. But unlucky.

And then all those games he did play on a wing in '22 and as a rotational player in '21 took away from him developing his craft by playing as a full time mid in the VFL.

Even this year he played 5 VFL matches, averaged 33 touches and a goal but spend most of his time in the senior side filling gaps. 

He hasn't been given a full run of VFL matches to really hone his inside game, yet alone take that form to AFL level.

That's the reality of life in a good side and doing his job, but there's a lot of untapped potential in JJ if he can start winning his own ball at AFL level. 

1 hour ago, BaliDemon said:

I’ll never understand why our coach didn’t bring him onto the ground in the final 10 minutes or so of the Grand Final. Yeah he got a medallion but it wouldn’t have hurt anyone to give the lad the memory of being out on the green stuff during an AFL premiership win. The game was well and truly iced. There was no reason not to. Pretty thoughtless from Goodwin I reckon.

All the best to you James. You played 20+ solid games in 2021 and deserved to be in that photo as much as any bloke out there. You are an MFC premiership player. 

And how do you think the player he would have replaced felt, not being out there when the final siren went? The sub was for injuries only that year, and the only one we had was May. Would you have dragged May? I think not.