• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Farewell James Jordon

Demonland

21 minutes ago, praha said:

Didn't know he was delisted. But regardless, even if he hadn't been delisted, he'd still be an UFA.

He's only UFA because he was demoted to rookie list, only been at the club 5 years

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Wilson7 said:

He's only UFA because he was demoted to rookie list, only been at the club 5 years

Read my response above. Fairly certain if you've been on the list uninterrupted (no delisting, rookie listing etc.) you need to have been at a club less than 8 years AND be in the top quarter of salaries at the club to qualify for UFA. Even if he hadn't been delisted he would be UFA.

Edited by praha

5 minutes ago, praha said:

Read my response above. Fairly certain if you've been on the list uninterrupted (no delisting, rookie listing etc.) you need to have been at a club less than 8 years AND be in the top quarter of salaries at the club to qualify for UFA. Even if he hadn't been delisted he would be UFA.

No, he wouldn't

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

5 hours ago, Redleg said:

I never understood that. If Harmes offered, why did Goody refuse? It seems pretty cruel, when you are 10 goals up, with minutes to play, to not let him on the ground.

No idea. As others have said, May went in with a torn hammy, take him off the last 10 mins and if the AFL complain attach the scans to the front of an old Panzerkampfwagen Tiger Ausf.B and drive them down their throats whilst hanging out of the turret with the cup!

2 hours ago, daisycutter said:

think we all agree about that last bit,  but technically it would have broken an afl rule. I know other clubs seem to have done that too but maybe goody didn't want any controversy to ruin that special day.

I get it, but I seriously doubt that anyone would have cared, but Harmes was willing to say he had hammy “awareness” or as I state above. Take May off.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, praha said:

Read my response above. Fairly certain if you've been on the list uninterrupted (no delisting, rookie listing etc.) you need to have been at a club less than 8 years AND be in the top quarter of salaries at the club to qualify for UFA.

@Wilson7 is correct mate.

Any player that has previously been delisted automatically fall under restricted free agent.

Had Jordon not be delisted then he would need to be traded because you need to be at the club I think max 7-8 before you qualify as a restricted free agent.

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, mo64 said:

Because he was an overrated fringe player, and the club should have been looking for an upgrade in his position. His age is irrelevant. Put he and JJ on the open market, and JJ would have more suitors.

Of course his age is relevant, he still has his best footy in front of him and was instrumental in our premiership season. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, praha said:

I reckon if you post this one more time it might become true 

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, CatFishPig said:

I reckon if you post this one more time it might become true 

EDIT: OMG IT CAME TRUE, I'M A REAL BOY!

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2023-list-of-free-agents-out-of-contract-players-salary-cap-trades-every-club/news-story/977c549fb1a919805b2b0a6f1d64d85d

"A restricted free agent is an out-of-contract player who has played nine or fewer years with their current club and is in the top quarter for salaries at the club."

Edited by praha

2 minutes ago, DemonSam said:

High Second Rounder and I take it.

Woey Jr. looks the goods, Brown Jr supposedly good, I don't mind 23 but is the kind of player I can stomach letting go.

Again, he is an unrestricted FA and that is why there are three clubs in his ear.

Hes cheap and good. 

I still think it would be best for all to move on. We want Rivers and Pickett and pick 4/5 in there more…

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, praha said:

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-news-2023-list-of-free-agents-out-of-contract-players-salary-cap-trades-every-club/news-story/977c549fb1a919805b2b0a6f1d64d85d

"A restricted free agent is an out-of-contract player who has played nine or fewer years with their current club and is in the top quarter for salaries at the club."

You do realise that’s not a UFA? 

I think he is a notably improved player this year with still plenty of upside.

He is showing far more willingness to take the game on and is playing some good roles - he spent quite a bit of time on Neale on Friday night.

I would be very sorry to see him go.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

Should have pulled May off. 

Well im sure Maysie would have enjoyed it, not sure it would have got JJ on the ground though

🤣🤣🤣🍆🍆🍆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Clap 1

8 hours ago, Gorgoroth said:

The selectors have made it know to JJ  how well they rate him. I’d be so surprised if he stayed with us. 
If I was him I’d leave, and I’ve said before I would have left after been left on the bench the whole game in the GF even more so after Harmes offered to be subbed out. 

we would of had to fork out 50k if we breached the sub rule

Definitely want to see JJ remain in the team and push for the new contract deal.  He is too good to let go and whilst he’s not cemented a spot, his skill and versatility is a huge asset.  Certainly his disposal is more reliable than most of the team.  
However I’d understand given he has been snubbed a lot, I wouldn’t begrudge him if he looked elsewhere at year end.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, praha said:

It's a typo in the article. The fewer years part is incorrect. Read the following paragraph of the Fox article. If your quote was correct it would mean the top 25% salaried-players would be a restricted free agents every time they came out of contract whereas the less well-paid players wouldn't be. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, dazzledavey36 said:

@Wilson7 is correct mate.

Any player that has previously been delisted automatically fall under restricted free agent.

Had Jordon not be delisted then he would need to be traded because you need to be at the club I think max 7-8 before you qualify as a restricted free agent.

Is there compensation for this type of free agent?

We've  got to find a way of keeping JJ. We need to heep him and at the same time trade Harmes out. We need Harmes' list spot and might get say a 3rd round draft pick back for him. Next year he leaves as an unrestructed free agent and at his salary level I assume we'd get no compensation pick for him. It would also be in Harmes' interest to leave now as he'd be a better chance of getting a longer-term deal and more game time elsewhere.

If there's no interest during the trade period, I guess he sees his contract out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Wizard of Koz said:

Is there compensation for this type of free agent?

Yes, but only if you're in the top 70% of salary rankings for players of similar experience. Ultimately it would depend on how much another team might pay him. I'd suspect we'd get no compensation.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/afl-trades-2020-free-agency-compensation-formula-how-does-it-work-brad-crouch-adelaide-st-kilda-free-agents-details/news-story/538e998849aa96d921d7da512ff8793e

Jayden Hunt moved to West Coast last year as an UFA and we got a 3rd Round Pick (52 at the time) as compensation.  

9 hours ago, Demons11 said:

Of course his age is relevant, he still has his best footy in front of him and was instrumental in our premiership season. 

Instrumental? Bit of a stretch!

Everyone needs to breathe out and understand that clubs need to consistently change over their lists and make the hard calls in order to keep competing at the top.

If old boy Saty was in charge, we'd be a happy little club delisting nobody, moving on nobody, giving an equal salary to all bodies, but dwindling away down the bottom of the ladder. He'd still be joyous though..

Jordan is an A grade foot-soldier who just doesn't offer a point of difference to our midfield. He is never going to offer a point of difference to our midfield. Is he? What he provides, we already have and then some. And what he lacks, those far ahead of him already lack.

He should and will look elsewhere as it would benefit both our list to bring in someone with a point of difference as well as his own footballing career. 

We're at a stage where we can bring some seriously high end talented mids. And they're the ones who should be taking the spots of Jordon and Haremes etc whilst Trac and Clarry are in their prime. We need a blend. And we need a better balance.

And Jordon won't be missed because of this. 

Edited by JimmyGadson
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Tracca said:

we would of had to fork out 50k if we breached the sub rule

If we breached it, but May went into the game injured. Take him off toward the end. No one would have been able to prove anything different. We have scans of his torn hammy. We were protecting the fact he may have torn it off the bone in essentially by that stage a dead game.