• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 04 vs West Coast

Demonland

4 hours ago, Gawndy the Great said:

This game win these circumstances would have been better in Rd 18-20 where the rest would have been really welcomed for some.

Not to worry GTG, we have an easy match in round 15 against the Geriatric Spooners at GMHBA where we can give our guns a well earned rest and recharge for the finals ahead.

Edited by John Demonic
  • Haha 1

Picket in for sure, who to drop, NFI,

I did think Petty was lost up forward , took a couple of nice marks but it was regulation stuff, but he took them, I think only one good shot on goal, 

I would send him back or to Casey .

very glad it is not my decision, someone will always find fault.

a very strong good win yesterday 4th quarter was excellent 

I do think if anyone is slightly injured, rest them, May needed the run, I thought Petty was injured last week.

Edited by 640MD
More rubbish
  • Shocked 1

Kozzy in Hibberd out, with Gus to play extra minutes at half back. 

I hope we stick with the current forward mix, nothing to lose by experimenting next week imo.

• Like 2

Next 7

Eagles, Bombers, Tigers, North, Suns, Hawks, Port

During these games I’d continue with Petty & JVR as our 2 key fwds with both TMac and Brown at Casey. Tomlinson to come in if we want a 3rd tall down back. This gives Petty and JVR time to settle up fwd before what possibly could our next real test.

Freo, Carlton, Pies

We’re all aware of how important TMac and Brown were during 2021 but right now they’re both hampered by injuries. Brown yesterday was still attempting to take marks with one hand, then when the ball inevitably hit the ground he offered little else. After seeing what happened yesterday it would be madness not to continue with it.

• Like 6

12 hours ago, SPC said:

Brown Out, Pickett in.

Would like to see Viney out for Howes, but not sure Jack would get dropped being captain. I feel he is probably our biggest watch over the next few weeks. Disposal poor, decision making poor. JJ is a much better 3rd midfield option and Koz back will squeeze Jack out. 

Cmon man! 

McVee out? Really? Did you see his run and delivery out the backline? Sure he made a couple of mistakes but he is a massive upgrade on Hunt. Triple B will need a rest and Pickett in.  Simples.  

West Coast is cooked after the weekend injuries and the bigger Optus Stadium needs us to have a running team. We will outrun them and it will be a shellacking! 

But..... anyone who is not 90% (no-one is ever 100%) must not be risked. We saw what happened to Gawn last year.

• Like 5

hopefully we rest/manage players over the next 5-6 weeks. the likes of Viney, Brown, Grundy when max is fully back. we have the depth but we can’t end up like last year with everyone carrying injuries. don’t wait til after the bye

• Like 2

I understand why some will argue for resting/managing players. 

But we’re one week gone from this board being supremely confident leading into a 40-point fourth quarter deficit to Brisbane. 

Yes, West Coast just suffered a ridiculous amount of injuries, but let’s perhaps pare back the over-confidence a touch. 

• Like 6

This is going to be a really hard selection if there are no injured/sore players.

Goody mentioned Brown just had back tightness, but if there is any doubt I'd rather we give him a week rest given the long flight to Perth and the fact the Eagles will be cooked.

If that is the case do we stick with the smaller backline and leave Petty and JVR forward? Personally I'd prefer we go back to our usual 3 key backs, as that is usually what we go with and we need to get the cohesion going with those 3 again given May is finally back. If we do this then maybe TMac will come in for Brown and then I'd bring Pickett in for Hibberd.

Someone will be unlucky, but this is just what happens in a strong side.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SPC said:

Brown Out, Pickett in.

Would like to see Viney out for Howes, but not sure Jack would get dropped being captain. I feel he is probably our biggest watch over the next few weeks. Disposal poor, decision making poor. JJ is a much better 3rd midfield option and Koz back will squeeze Jack out. 

He may be subconsciously trying too hard in the role of captain, hence affecting his own game. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Action Jackson said:

100%. We would be dumb not to get Melksham to 100 games using the sub rule.

Others have mentioned it previously, but think he's a great Sub to come on late in games. So happy for him to stay the sub even after he gets the 100

Just run the risk of an early injury like Gawn against Brisbane, Melk was largely ineffective that game but not the biggest sample size for an argument i guess. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, roy11 said:

Others have mentioned it previously, but think he's a great Sub to come on late in games. So happy for him to stay the sub even after he gets the 100

Just run the risk of an early injury like Gawn against Brisbane, Melk was largely ineffective that game but not the biggest sample size for an argument i guess. 

Given the team as a whole we poor that night it's tough to single him out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It is hard to make changes after that win but Kossie has to come back in. To fit him in, I would probably give Melksham a full game at Casey and give one of our smaller/mid size forwards a turn as sub. (i.e. Spargo, Chandler, Jordon, Sparrow or ANB). The other options change the balance of the side and I think the balance is right at the moment.

If Hibberd is not fit, the options would be to include Tomlinson or to swing Petty back. But I would prefer to give Petty at least one more game up forward to see if the experiment can work. (I have been advocating for Petty forward and I thought he was ok yesterday without being a smashing success.)

If Brown needs a spell (which I think would be a good idea even if he can get up for the match) we could just play a smaller forward line with Kossie. But, as I said, I would not be that keen on changing the mix of smalls and talls and so I would probably prefer to bring back TMac.

• Like 2

Pickett comes in but its not a like for like if he simply replaces Brown and a back injury to Brown is not going to be helped with a flight to Perth. I thought Petty was good down front but not exceptional so I don't think he is a lock there. I would consider bringing in TMac for Brown. Question is how did TMac go at Casey?

Melksham has been also ok when subbed on but I think he is an out putting Sparrow on the pine. If Hibbo has achilles soreness then someone has to come in for him rather than risk an early aggravation against the eagles. Does Petty go back? However we need to be careful to recognise it was the run and carry of the eagles that kept them in the game yesterday including Jaydent Hunt's run off half back. It is absolutely true this year if you are off 5% any team can beat you this year. 

I would not want to be a selector although they did a good job this week. 

Edited by Robbie57
I think Fat Tony beat me to the punch.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, titan_uranus said:

I understand why some will argue for resting/managing players. 

But we’re one week gone from this board being supremely confident leading into a 40-point fourth quarter deficit to Brisbane. 

Yes, West Coast just suffered a ridiculous amount of injuries, but let’s perhaps pare back the over-confidence a touch. 

Has nothing to do with the opponent for me. I don’t care if we’re playing the best or worst side in the comp I wouldn’t be taking BBB on a Perth trip with a bad back.

Especially with a 6 day back up to the Dons game in Adelaide. 

Managing the veteran forwards will prevent them getting longer injuries which then puts too much of a load on the younger guys 

• Like 5

And thinking about the gather round are we going to Perth, coming home, then flying to Adelaide?

Would be a good opportunity to stay in Perth or Adelaide from Monday-Friday next week and save a flight. 

Anyone know if the Joondalup resort has vacancies?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, dee-tox said:

I'd save Hibbo for specific jobs against top 8 teams.

If Viney's knee is still troubling him we could make a change there as well.

Good thoughts altough I tought Hibbo was really good for us and if he plays like that injury aside deserves his place, it is possible Viney still has some knee issues but who is Captain if he is out? 

19 minutes ago, Robbie57 said:

Pickett comes in but its not a like for like if he simply replaces Brown and a back injury to Brown is not going to be helped with a flight to Perth. I thought Petty was good down front but not exceptional so I don't think he is a lock there. I would consider bringing in TMac for Brown. Question is how did TMac go at Casey?

Melksham has been also ok when subbed on but I think he is an out putting Sparrow on the pine. If Hibbo has achilles soreness then someone has to come in for him rather than risk an early aggravation against the eagles. Does Petty go back? However we need to be careful to recognise it was the run and carry of the eagles that kept them in the game yesterday including Jaydent Hunt's run off half back. It is absolutely true this year if you are off 5% any team can beat you this year. 

I would not want to be a selector although they did a good job this week. 

TMac was one of the best at Casey, along with Tomlinson and Howes.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, spirit of norm smith said:

In. Pickett 

out Mcvee (team balance) 

likely team

Hibbo May Lever

Bowey Petty Rivers

Langdon Viney Hunter 

ANB  JVR  Sparrow

Pickett BBB* Fritsch

Grundy Trac Oliver 

int  Spargo JJ Brayshaw Chandler

sub  Howes / Melksham 

*Probably Tmcd in if BBB injured or

*maybe Tomlinson in if BBB injured (Petty goes forward) 

McVee had 18 at 88% efficiency yesterday. No way we are dropping him. 

• Like 13