• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

PREGAME: Rd 04 vs West Coast

Demonland

1 hour ago, pitmaster said:

Have you ever dealt with any of their supporters?

I remember one of their [censored] players threatening sexual violence mid-game to the mother of one of our blokes who was ridiculed for becoming upset.

No sympathy.

(And their Americanised-name and colours are rubbish. Don't start me on their ad-jingle song. The entire outfit, name colours, song is an ad-man's wet dream.)

I think I've been very sheltered from that sort of behaviour by West Coke fans!  That sounds awful, like a precursor to Zorko.

Well, we can aim to give them a sound smacking this week with no mercy.

• Like 2
  • Clap 1

3 minutes ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Well, we can aim to give them a sound smacking this week with no mercy.

That's the idea.

I am sure any Dees who made the trip to the 2018 prelim, and who were hounded out of the place by hoards of drunks (I am relying on first hand accounts, not my own), will relish a caning of our tormentors.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Perfect time to rest up anyone that's got a niggle that can be overcome with a week off, this is exactly the scenario goody was talking about that they got wrong last year.

Yes we will be going in with a few of our starting 22 out, most definitely won't be going over there with a casey side, will still be a side that would challenge most teams.

Edited by AzzKikA
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, deejammin' said:

Roo had already stopped being our second ruck in place of Petty by the last quarter against Sydney. He’s a great kid and he’ll be incredible but JVR also needs to build into full AFL game time. If Brown goes out for TMac due to back soreness I think Petty and TMac will cover backup ruck and JVR will play pure forward. Regardless, if we’re smart we’ll play two backup rucks and try to use them as much as possible to protect and freshen up Grundy. I’d be shocked if we dropped a tall for a small for this reason. Let’s see, but I don’t see Petty being dropped under any circumstances.

Also WC with Bailey and Allen have a stronger ruck setup than Sydney, Ladhams may be better than Bailey but only marginally while Allen is a true second ruck option and is miles better than Amartey, who is no more a ruck than any of our options. Grundy will need more support in this game. With their decimated team the only area WC remain decent in is the ruck and for this reason we need talls.

At the game I really thought Tom Petty contested petty well in the Rucks that I saw!

• Like 7

Just now, Kent said:

At the game I really thought Tom Petty contested petty well in the Rucks that I saw!

I agree that Harrison Petty looked very good in his short stint in the ruck, he had a huge leap and his follow up work and tackling was good. Tom Petty I see more as a freefallin’ heartbreaker.

• Haha 1
  • Thinking 1

8 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

He was pantsed by Ryan. He would have been pantsed by Naughton if he kicked straight. He got pantsed by the worst footballer in the league Daniher. He was ordinary up forward didn't do any better than what McDonald would have done. He's been our worst performer by a mile this year. Tomlinson's form has been better and he's in the reserves.

Samson Ryan came on at 3/4 time after Petty had completely destroyed Riewoldt in hot, windy, humid Casey weather and when the game was glorified circle work for the last quarter.

Naughton had 11 touches, 5 marks and kicked 1.2. He had better stats against the Saints who held them to 5 goals for the game.

Having a tall with some agility an aggression made a huge difference compared with Tom being unable or unwilling to turn or jump. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, WERRIDEE said:

Roo will be the second ruck. I don't see why we need him? He's no longer needed down back and he ain't a forward. Rather see a running half back in Howes get a run. 

You actually would be more honest in declaring you HNFI.

Seriously that is absolute drivel and laughable with regards to team structure, set up and instruction

• Like 4

I really think those advocating for Pickett for Brown are making a cop out decision. We dropped a tall player last week and went smaller in defence. I hope we don't go that way again because it opens us up to being beaten if a tall player gets injured during the game.

I also think we need to start using the sub to freshen up the squad for finals. While Melksham looks to be a good choice as sub, he will need to play full games as well (VFL and AFL) to maintain conditioning.

• Like 3

On 4/2/2023 at 8:40 PM, dazzledavey36 said:

Goody confirmed Brown had a stiff back yesterday but pulled up fine this morning until it aggravated again in the first half.

Reckons he should be right for next week but with a 4 hour Perth trip I wouldn't risk it at all. Manage him for the week off.

Hibberd had an Achilles but should be fine.

Heard around the traps that even if BBB is fit he should NOT be picked!! I cannot agree with this he has 9 Goals from 3 games avg 3 NO way in the world does he miss if fit! Kossy for Hibbo would be the ONLY change I would make.

Edited by picket fence
  • Like 4

17 hours ago, MadAsHell said:

Confused as to people calling for Disco Turner to come into the side, given he's missed the first two rounds of the VFL.  So I think there's zero chance of that happening.

IN: McDonald, Pickett

OUT: Brown (managed), Chandler (unlucky)

I'd take Chandler over as a 24th player in case there's any late injuries/outs, but I just see him as the most likelt and like for like to give way to Kozzi.  Though if there are some issues around Hibberd's health, then I'd rest him and have Brayshaw and potentially even Jordon (spent 2019 at Casey playing half back) playing more half back.

Considered bringing Howes in, but I'd like to see him bang the door down a bit more.  So Howes and Tomlinson the other two emergencies named with Melksham and Chandler outside the main 22.

Chandler has just played his BEST Game in the Red and Blue and you want to drop him???Glad your not a selector!

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JimmyGadson said:

Unless Chandler has three or more shockers in a row, he won't be moving from his spot. And frankly, I think he'll be a mainstay for us going forward from here on out. Wouldn't be surprised if he was the next player to sign on for three or four years.

A major part of our success and consistency as a club is the way we've developed our list and now our VFL program. It's just a well oiled machine now. Look at how Roy and Judd have come in and impacted straight away.

Chandler is simply the perfect example of a player who has plied their trade at VFL for three seasons, has built great habits as a trainer, developed his tank and body and has a full understanding of what role he needs to play and execute at AFL level. You can tell how hungry he is to stay in the side and taste premiership success by the intensity and determination he plays with and passion he displays when a he or a teammate kicks a goal.

This is besides mentioning what it has allowed us to do with Pickett.

Goodwin is finally restructuring, tinkering and becoming more flexible which is super exciting.

Yes, we are making sure the kids can play roles so well that you can allow former role players (Pickett) to suddenly be more expansive and not lose anything from that role he is leaving behind. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

I really think those advocating for Pickett for Brown are making a cop out decision. We dropped a tall player last week and went smaller in defence. I hope we don't go that way again because it opens us up to being beaten if a tall player gets injured during the game.

I also think we need to start using the sub to freshen up the squad for finals. While Melksham looks to be a good choice as sub, he will need to play full games as well (VFL and AFL) to maintain conditioning.

You do know that Brown came off injured don't you?

2 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

You do know that Brown came off injured don't you?

Yes. I am saying that Pickett needs to come in for a small forward or midfielder. If Brown is not fit or gets rested, then TMac or Tomlinson needs to come in IMO.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Chandler has just played his BEST Game in the Red and Blue and you want to drop him???Glad your not a selector!

Don't recall saying I wanted to drop him. In fact I seem to remember saying he would be really stiff.

Spots are at a premium and it's one of him, Nibbler or Spargo to make way as the most like for likes. Whoever loses their spot is stiff.

• Like 1

Goodwin said during his presser that if you play well, you play next week. Chandler, Jordan McVee and VDR will continue in the seniors as long as they play well.

I would be shocked if Brown doesnt play if fully fit. Hes in really good form. Rest him?  WTF.  The flight is to Perth not Greenland. ffs

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Fat Tony said:

TMac was one of the best at Casey, along with Tomlinson and Howes.

I think we will see Howes over the next month.  

Kozzie in for JJ is a no brainer and if BB is injured then T Mac or Schache will come in. 

Can anybody confirm how Sestan has been going for Casey? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Willmoy1947 said:

We are playing against a team that two of the AFL's best half forward flankers of the time were in their prime and won a Flag. Now the tables are turned...

I know Spargo and ANB have improved but lets not get carried away!

😂

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Fat Tony said:

Yes. I am saying that Pickett needs to come in for a small forward or midfielder. If Brown is not fit or gets rested, then TMac or Tomlinson needs to come in IMO.

Witherden, Shuey and McGovern out injured is going to really mess with their defensive set up so I am sure the coaches will plan around that. And that could be a smaller fwd line or maybe they will try to exploit the lack of defensive height in the Eagles backline? They don't really have too many talls to bring in.

On last week's team:

• McGov 197cm Out
  • Barass 197cm
  • Hurn 187cm
  • Gibney 189cm
  • Cole 188cm
  • Waterman 193cm
  • Witherdan 188cm Out

• Like 3

2 hours ago, JimmyGadson said:

Unless Chandler has three or more shockers in a row, he won't be moving from his spot. And frankly, I think he'll be a mainstay for us going forward from here on out. Wouldn't be surprised if he was the next player to sign on for three or four years.

A major part of our success and consistency as a club is the way we've developed our list and now our VFL program. It's just a well oiled machine now. Look at how Roy and Judd have come in and impacted straight away.

Chandler is simply the perfect example of a player who has plied their trade at VFL for three seasons, has built great habits as a trainer, developed his tank and body and has a full understanding of what role he needs to play and execute at AFL level. You can tell how hungry he is to stay in the side and taste premiership success by the intensity and determination he plays with and passion he displays when a he or a teammate kicks a goal.

This is besides mentioning what it has allowed us to do with Pickett.

Goodwin is finally restructuring, tinkering and becoming more flexible which is super exciting.

My thoughts exactly Jimmy. To me he's the exact kind of small forward we needed to do the defensive stuff and kick a few with only limited opportunities. Big fan. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Pennant St Dee said:

You actually would be more honest in declaring you HNFI.

Seriously that is absolute drivel and laughable with regards to team structure, set up and instruction

Doctors Office Nicksplat GIF by Hey Arnold

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

I think we will see Howes over the next month.  

Kozzie in for JJ is a no brainer and if BB is injured then T Mac or Schache will come in. 

Can anybody confirm how Sestan has been going for Casey? 

I have seen about half of the Casey game (first and last quarters).

Howes looks a beautiful mover and has some star AFL traits. But he is not fit enough for AFL and does not give enough second efforts. When he hits the ground he takes too long to get up and he also needs to be more desperate in the contest. He looks like a young Jack Watts but he shows potential to become a star player like Hird, Josh Kelly or Gunston.

Sestan looks nowhere near AFL fit IMO and is a 2024/25 prospect (if he makes it). He will have to really want it because he does not have a body ideally suited to AFL. He will have to become as good a runner as Petracca or Kossie (at least) and he's a way off, noting that ANB, Spargo and Chandler look to be better endurance runners than those two.

AMW was a player who looks to have improved and looks one to watch. He plays with AFL intensity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4

31 minutes ago, jnrmac said:

Witherden, Shuey and McGovern out injured is going to really mess with their defensive set up so I am sure the coaches will plan around that. And that could be a smaller fwd line or maybe they will try to exploit the lack of defensive height in the Eagles backline? They don't really have too many talls to bring in.

On last week's team:

• McGov 197cm Out
  • Barass 197cm
  • Hurn 187cm
  • Gibney 189cm
  • Cole 188cm
  • Waterman 193cm
  • Witherdan 188cm Out

I am confident we would beat very under strength Eagles with a smaller side, but the balance of our side looked perfect last week.

• Like 2

A lot saying Brown out for Kosi which makes a lot of sense at face value. My question is what happens when Grundy is off and JVR or Petty are secondary ruck? It only leaves one genuine tall in the forward line for that period of time - we saw last season that could be an issue…if they rest brown and bring TMac back, at least you’re tall for tall… 

good problem to have, but the question isn’t whether Pickett plays, it’s who then comes out for him? Sparrow is a non stats per say KPI player, he distrusts stoppages so it’s not as simple as ‘only 10 touches’, JJ was fantastic, ANB and Spargo both play roles….it’s just a really tough decision - do they run with one less defender after Hibbo came in for Gawn? Viney I thought was average with his decision making and disposal, unlikely to be dropped, but boy….everyone has arguments to stay in the team 

• Like 3