• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

POSTGAME: Rd 03 vs Sydney

Demonland

3 hours ago, DubDee said:

the most enjoyable win i’ve watched since the 2021 GF!

Ditto for me.  What a win and what a day to draw a line in the sand on Clarry's 150th.

So proud of the boys.  Clarry was unreal as usual and Grundy slowly worked his way into things and got better as the game went on, especially after half time.

Congrats to Goody & the FD for finally making a few hard call / changes to the forward line up, including Petty forward which many been calling for for a while.  One week doesn't a summer make but it also takes time for a player to make the mental change from defensive to offensive mindset.  In addition you have to learn where to run and to start gelling with other mids and forwards.  That doesn't happen overnight.  A very nice entre' though for mine.  Let's keep it going and see how things pan out.

Rooey did even better than i could hope for on his debut.  Well earned and nice to finally have a very mobile dead eye in front of goal from 30 - 35 out who can also take the odd specky.

Juddy Juddy Juddy .... how composed is this young fella.  Wow i watched him alot last year, including his match against the Swans at the G with Casey.  He showed signs and patches of very nice work but boy, he's slotted in amazingly well.  A bit like Bowey when he came in late in 2021.  Superb stuff.

Oli Sestan the next likely Juddy / Bowey up-and-comer at Casey?

Kozzy back next week.  Let's keep the momentum rolling eh.

Carn the Mighty Demons!

Edited by Demon Dynasty
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

It was always going to be a grinder and the Swans did have patches of offensive brilliance but we saw off their challenge and played some of the best footy we've played since that night in September 2021.

Let's start with the new guy Jacob Van Rooyen, couldn't have wished for a better start. I said to my mate that I didn't need him to have a barnstorming start, he just needed to compete and be physical, well he did that and then some. That bunp he laid in the opening minutes showed everyone he wasnt going to be a shrinking violet. Seeing that no.2 running around again was great and seeing a pack crasher reminiscent of a former no.5 has got me excited! Surely a Rising star nomination coming his way.

Clayton Oliver, 150 up. I've never seen a better first 150 games for this club and today wasn't even really a typical clarry game. 2 beautifully taken goals and every touch just oozing of metres gained. You are a superstar, umpires do your job and give him the 3 votes and one day the Brownlow he deserves.

Brodie Grundy, the opportunity was there, he grabbed it with both hands and then threw it in Ladhams' face and yelled "Catch". His taps cam still be a bit ineffectual at times bit I just thought this was a real taste of what is to come from Brodie. While a unicorn struts his stuff in the West I'm sitting pretty comfortably on this one for the moment. Long season to go though.

Trac had a game that could have snatched BOG but he was a butcher merchant. Still won plenty of contested ball and had very important clearances when the game mattered.

Thought Trent Rivers played a massive game and is starting to take some really good intercept marks when it was needed. Really should have drained that set shot but still a great game all round.

Lachie Hunter, brilliant. Jake Lever, probably leading the B & F, Kade Chandler, that's why you're in the side! A few looks at goal and binned every one of them. Lingers was great and I was really happy with James Jordon today, I thought we needed him for this one and he didn't disappoint. 

Who goes out for Kozzie? No idea, that's tomorrow's problem. 

Did not expect to see Petty line up forward but its good to see Goody shaking it up. To make wholesale changes to the forward line might have unsettled other sides but not us! So Simon Goodwin needs a massive pat on the back. Longmire rarely gets out coached on gameday but this was a master-class performance. Loved Spargo's moments as well.

Loved Judd McVee's game. What a find, Mr Composure. Best player in the no.41 since...

It's still a bit hard to tell how exactly we turned the game when it looked like it was going to be another typical Sydney boghole game but we just had faith that if we kept working and winning that contested ball and turning the screw. The game eventually turned our way.

I'm so proud, the Lions might have busted our hold on them but we just performed something big ourselves. Bring on the Eagles, bring on Easter, bring on a little time in the surf at Point Leo. Bring it on down as Noel Gallagher once wrote. GO DEES!

Edited by layzie
  • Like 10

Ahhhh just sayin that Matt Jefferson has played two very good games for Casey last 2 and kicked 4 goals today AND has verrrry sticky one grab hands.... Next gen warming up very very nicely!!!

• Like 14
  • Love 4

3 hours ago, HK HUNTER KILLER said:

When sydney was really pushing hard and got close I thought hunter had a gf harmes like moment with the perfect kick to chandler in the pocket and that goal steddied us big time

If there can be a singularity for the turning point, that kick to that guy making space all alone was the moment.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, binman said:

Three beautiful kicks in that ...

Then hunter's beautifully weighted kick to Chandler.

Then Chandler nails it.

Tbat was so critical because tbey were on top, had all the momentum and had just missed a similar set shot that would almost levelled the scores. 

Absolute game changer.

Great moment for Chandler.  He missed an absolute giveme against the dogs when we were already well in control, but I felt for him a bit, because of the pressure he would be under to make an impact and numbers against the goals column in his position count.

But today he kicked at least a couple of really good goals from set shots and snaps when the team really needed to kick goals to get, the  keep the game on our terms.  That on top of his great tackle pressure, hard running, creativity and involvement in other chains that resulted in MFC goals.  Also find him really selfless in the way I've seen him repeatedly dish off to others in better positions when he could have taken a shot himself.  Everything that's valued by our team.

Really important game today for Chandler, when he really established his credentials.  He's been building, but I thought today he was huge.  So happy for the guy.

• Like 21
  • Love 2

I loved the changes the coaching group made this week and swinging Petty forward. 

It's a great sign of being more flexible with our team.

JVR, so excited for him after he's competed so hard last year.

And Kade Chandler, another kid that's battled hard in the two's and seems to have cemented his place now.

JJ and Hibbo were fantastic as well.

Clarry, is he the best we've ever seen? I'm thinking he might be. 

I've never seen a player stand the mark and just steal the ball from his opponent like he did and set up that goal for Fritsch. 4 mins to go in the 3rd QTR. I watched it about five times.

Straight kicking made a huge difference early on today.

Such a turn around from last week.

If we're a team based on process, let's keep swinging the changes as required to manage some of our players through.

What a beautiful game to watch today 

• Like 13
  • Clap 2

Fully concur with a lot of other posters regarding the performance of the team.  How exciting are our young uns!

For Langdon - although it didn't pay off with the big 6 points multiple times, it was really good to see him having an attacking mindset.  Three behinds ain't a bad effort for a winger, we just need to get Choco to help convert them in future!  Hunter was fantastic of course, clearly back up and running now he's out of the Doghouse (both literally and figuratively).

Edited by DeelightfulPlay
Typo besides = behinds lol
  • Like 6

5 minutes ago, DeelightfulPlay said:

Fully concur with a lot of other posters regarding the performance of the team.  How exciting are our young uns!

For Langdon - although it didn't pay off with the big 6 points multiple times, it was really good to see him having an attacking mindset.  Three besides ain't a bad effort for a winger, we just need to get Choco to help convert them in future!  Hunter was fantastic of course, clearly back up and running now he's out of the Doghouse (both literally and figuratively).

Good call, it's good to see confidence in taking shots and not caught in two minds.

• Like 2

A most enjoyable day at the MCG. What is more against a bogey side. Grundy was excellent today and I can't wait for max to be back and in form to watch those 2.

Frittas goal in the third was my moment of the day. And Van Roo had a great 1st up.

My beer is tasting excellent.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

29 minutes ago, picket fence said:

Ahhhh just sayin that Matt Jefferson has played two very good games for Casey last 2 and kicked 4 goals today AND has verrrry sticky one grab hands.... Next gen warming up very very nicely!!!

He won't play AFL this year Pickett.

They'll give him the Van Rooyen treatment where he'll spend the whole year at Casey with zero pressure and zero expectation. I think competing against the solid bodies at VFL level will do him wonders for a year.

He's definitely off to a good start but!

Edited by dazzledavey36
  • Like 7
  • Love 1

22 minutes ago, layzie said:

How good are Sunday nights after something like that!

And seeing Geelong languishing at the bottom of the ladder only adds to the joy *contented sigh*

• Like 9
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, dl4e said:

A most enjoyable day at the MCG. What is more against a bogey side. Grundy was excellent today and I can't wait for max to be back and in form to watch those 2.

Frittas goal in the third was my moment of the day. And Van Roo had a great 1st up.

My beer is tasting excellent.

Famous victory. Sydney vanquished. Go the Mighty MFC. Was so much fun to see us win at the MCG. Made new friends today. Go Dees! 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

We scored 57 points from forward half turnovers today. AFL average is 26 points.
Efforts like Fritsch’s in the last quarter where he basically hung on to his opponent’s jumper with his fingertips typified the day and was the key reason we punished them. 

• Like 11

2 hours ago, Dr. Gonzo said:

Petty up forward was a great decision. I'd been calling for it without thinking there was any chance it would happen, especially when Tomlinson was dropped. Makes us look so much more dangerous with another mobile marking forward up there.

I'm not sold on it right now, he was okay and glad he kicked a snag.

What I am sold on is Goodwin trying new things.

We have an unbelievably talented list now and we need to cash in, so instead of the down the line plays and being really risk averse I'm glad it looks like we are trying to be proactive and use our talent offensively (maybe a better word is "naturally") rather than the "they will be better one on one" mindset. Which honestly last year (albeit with our players being cooked/injured) did keep us in games but was a waste.

• Like 7

57 minutes ago, Brownie said:

I loved the changes the coaching group made this week and swinging Petty forward. 

It's a great sign of being more flexible with our team.

JVR, so excited for him after he's competed so hard last year.

And Kade Chandler, another kid that's battled hard in the two's and seems to have cemented his place now.

JJ and Hibbo were fantastic as well.

Clarry, is he the best we've ever seen? I'm thinking he might be. 

I've never seen a player stand the mark and just steal the ball from his opponent like he did and set up that goal for Fritsch. 4 mins to go in the 3rd QTR. I watched it about five times.

Straight kicking made a huge difference early on today.

Such a turn around from last week.

If we're a team based on process, let's keep swinging the changes as required to manage some of our players through.

What a beautiful game to watch today 

This.

• Like 1

Hands down our best performance since the Grand Final.

In the third quarter they were all over us in all facets of the game. The way we responded, and turned the game on its head, is incredibly impressive. It would have been against any side but to do it against IMO the best side other than Collingwood, a side who has the wood over us and would have had fond memories of running over the top of us in the QF last year, and who were Hickey short of full strength (Reid wouldn't be getting a game in front of McDonald or Amartey right now), is huge.

And we did it without Gawn, Pickett and Salem. And we did it with new faces and players in new/tweaked roles.

I thought Oliver was outstanding all day. Grundy's game got better as the day went on, albeit without much opposition. Lever continued his strong start to the year and I loved the way we rotated Jordon through the wings and perhaps helped bring the best out of both Hunter and Langdon. 

I found it interesting that we were 0-6 in centre clearances in the first quarter but 5 goals up. Last week we were leaking goals from stoppage. I suspect we gave that area a bit more focus. I'm sure having May back contributed to it too.

I also find it interesting that we're the highest scoring side in the competition so far, but not even in the top 8 for average points against. This is a bit of a new Melbourne, perhaps, although we've probably had a tougher first three weeks than most other top 8 sides.

We've clearly acknowledged the need for us to have different "looks", both positionally and within games. We're seeing changed centre bounce combinations (Rivers was in there today, is that a first?) and we're now seeing things like Petty forward. This is a flexibility and willingness to change that is new to Goodwin. The fact we're now winning more based on our ability to score and less on our ability to hold opponents to ridiculously low scores is probably also testament to our new-found changes.

• Like 9
  • Clap 1

Kudos to the Coaches. Playing Petty fwd on Tom McCartin was a masterstroke. He smashed us last time. JVR absolutely ready. Defensively we repelled dozens of attacks. Our pressure was brilliant

The star mids were blanketed for the most part.

And when they got to 6 points in the 3rd we lifted again.

A full team effort, Congrats to the lads. So happy

• Like 8