MCL Injury to Max Gawn

Colm

Feeling sick. Just plain sick.

One thing helping me not panicking is a few years back at on of our preseason qld camps maxy hurt his knee. 

He was devastated, with vision of him looking similarly dejected ad he was sure he had done his ACL.

Turned out he was wrong.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, Jaded No More said:

I think Tmac’s busted foot disagrees. 
He looks cooked. He says himself he’s playing with pain and needing management. Rucking is literally the last thing I think his body can handle. 

We will see. Frankly, I didn’t want to rude about Schache but he has never played ruck well at all and has only had glimpses of form in the backline. We have two kid rucks in reserve, and JVR who would be best avoiding that baptism, Brown can’t do it, who else is left? Which all leads to one statement:

Thank Thor for Brodie Grundy…

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Can I ask how you know the test you mentioned was negative? 

Also what does it look like for a 31 year old giant with 2 previous recos to not undergo a surgical ACL repair? 
What is the alternative?

I thought it was his non previously repaired knee?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, binman said:

One thing helping me not panicking is a few years back at on of our preseason qld camps maxy hurt his knee. 

He was devastated, with vision of him looking similarly dejected ad he was sure he had done his ACL.

Turned out he was wrong.

Also feeling sick…. and yes  that’s my hope as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, binman said:

Turned out he was wrong.

Thanks for the glimmer of hope. Hope it’s the same outcome this time. Flat as as a pancake this morning

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, binman said:

Turned out he was wrong.

Thanks Bin.  A glimmer of hope to cling to, until proven otherwise

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

Can I ask how you know the test you mentioned was negative? 

Also what does it look like for a 31 year old giant with 2 previous recos to not undergo a surgical ACL repair? 
What is the alternative?

It was mentioned on the telecast. 

Let's not forget, 31 is young in the 'real world'. The 2 previous reconstructions were on the opposite knee. No-op management is a completely normal rehab option. Reduced time, reduced cost, non-invasive, no infection risk, etc etc. Each case is different, so you would have to see the scans. At an elite level, it's less common, obviously. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

3 minutes ago, rpfc said:

We will see. Frankly, I didn’t want to rude about Schache but he has never played ruck well at all and has only had glimpses of form in the backline. We have two kid rucks in reserve, and JVR who would be best avoiding that baptism, Brown can’t do it, who else is left? Which all leads to one statement:

Oh I think I should be clear that I don’t rate Schache and I have no doubt that he would not be an adequate ruck replacement to Max (nobody will be).

I just think that if we think TMac is a big important key to our structure, then the quickest way to destroy that and whatever is left of his foot, is to make him ruck. You wouldn’t ruck BB because his knee is busted, so I’m not sure why you’d ruck Tmac (outside of forward stoppages) when his foot is even more busted. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, spalding said:

I was out last night and missed the game until the last 5 minutes (luckily)

cane on here to find out about Max - is it a confirmed ACL and he’s out for a year, or is it just rampant MFCSS atm?

Nothing is confirmed yet

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, RyanD said:

It was mentioned on the telecast. 

Let's not forget, 31 is young in the 'real world'. The 2 previous reconstructions were on the opposite knee. No-op management is a completely normal rehab option. Reduced time, reduced cost, non-invasive, no infection risk, etc etc. Each case is different, so you would have to see the scans. At an elite level, it's less common, obviously. 

Is there a higher chance of rerupture with non operative?

• Like 1

Just saw this - wonder what this pos thought about his man nick crying (literally) on the bench after his tangle with the Scott brothers....

https://twitter.com/Thomo_Grant/status/1639198854917791744?cxt=HHwWgIDR-Y6rzb8tAAAA

Edited by KysaiahMessiah
Spelling
  • Sad 1
  • Angry 1

10 minutes ago, RedFox said:

It's rare that you see an ACL injury occur in these types of scenarios, they're normally non contact. Got everything crossed for the big fella, we looked so much worse for it without him

Wouldn't say rare, but this is correct.

However, the reason it's less common is because of the occurrence of the incident happening in the first place, compared to a non-contact ACL. BUT, once the 'unlikely' incident occurs, e.g. a force applying a valgus on the knee, it is not any less likely. In fact, it's more likely given the force will be higher.

Edited by RyanD
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, titan_uranus said:

We can infer it - if it was positive they would have said so. I imagine if it was positive they wouldn’t have said all the stuff about “we don’t know”.

It was mentioned, we are not inferring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, rpfc said:

Wouldn't count your lucky stars yet....Grundy hasn't played in 12 months and has been injury prone in the latter half of his career. If he shoulders the full load I don't have a lot of faith he'd last beyond about round 6 

Schache is just about the only option we have 

• Thanks 1
  • Thinking 1
  • Vomit 1

6 minutes ago, KysaiahMessiah said:

Just saw this - wonder what this pos thought about his captain nick crying (literally) on the bench after his tangle with the Scott brothers....

https://twitter.com/Thomo_Grant/status/1639198854917791744?cxt=HHwWgIDR-Y6rzb8tAAAA

riewoldt was 22 was crying on the bench, and obviously in incredible pain as well

gawn looking dejected in the rooms is not something that the players on field see so completely irrelevant 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, RyanD said:

Lachman's test (the test used for ACL) was not positive. Its 95% accurate. 

However, Max was walking a bit too freely for my liking. You would normally see some issues with a persons gate when they have done an MCL. 

Yes, Lachman’s is clinically definitive for ‘non-rupture’. (Look up a YouTube video if interested). If the knee allows the test to be done (not too much swelling, pain, or ‘guarding’ response), it all relies on getting an ‘end-feel’ to the test where the ligament is at full stretch, i.e. you feel a taught snap, as if pulling a rope to tension. A ruptured ACL gives you a soft end-feel…no snap. And I have to say it isn’t a nice thing to feel as a clinician, simply because you then have to deliver the news. However, an ACL that’s hanging by a thread will still give a non-positive Lachman’s. If he’s just done the MCL, grade 1 to 2-, he’ll be able to walk ok, until at least the bleeding and inflammation stiffen it up a bit - overnight, next morning. 
The scan will fill in the details. 

• Thanks 7

If it's an ACL then no point just being down in the dumps. Yep, would be super disappointing but team has to move on.

Still confident we can finish top 4 even if Max misses significant time.

We've still got the cattle to perform at a real high level.

Just remember Richmond lost a 5x All Australian full back in Alex Rance to an ACL round 1 against Carlton in 2019 and they went on to become premiers that same year.

What I will say though is that it's time to for Brodie Grundy to stamp himself again. Taking 1 mark in total over 2 games is not a good return so far. Still looked sluggish last night but he's still building his game and fitness.

• Like 14