Jump to content

MCL Injury to Max Gawn


Colm

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

Yeah agreed. I Kind of got the impression he knew something.

I’m afraid you might be right and I oh so hope that I am wrong with my thinking.

If it is the worst case scenario I hope Max draws on the fighting spirit of Jim Stynes, does his time recuperating and comes back bigger and stronger than ever next year.

Opportunity for Schache to step up alongside Grundy?

As I said earlier…… I hope I am so wrong about Max 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Given his height and age, if it's a medical we're probably looking at 8-12 weeks. If an ACL we all know how long.

Either way, we're going to have to figure out how to play without him for a while, so let's talk about that. Do they pull the trigger on Schache? I thought Tom's ruckwork was very poor and directly cost us quite a few goals. 

Brodie will get better but he's a different player to Max and is not going to give us the contested marking presence we need. Not sure Schache takes a strong contested mark either. 

Max is irreplaceable but we will need to do something. Is KFW too raw? He seems further progressed than Verrall. 

I think Schache will come in for Gawn and they'll try to persist with Tom up forward until he either finds form or JVR kicks him out. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Wodjathefirst said:

I’m afraid you might be right and I oh so hope that I am wrong with my thinking.

If it is the worst case scenario I hope Max draws on the fighting spirit of Jim Stynes, does his time recuperating and comes back bigger and stronger than ever next year.

Opportunity for Schache to step up alongside Grundy?

As I said earlier…… I hope I am so wrong about Max 

Grateful the list  build is in the hands of people like Taylor and Lamb in these occasions, recognising our achilles heel (one of them) in ruck stocks.  Now with Schache we can at least have a form of solution.

Heartfelt thoughts to Max at this time .  A wonderful leader.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hopefully not an ACL but either way he's out for a while.

Huge loss to the team but we have a handy replacement in Grundy. Thought he worked his way into the game well last night.

We just got to suck this up and get on with it. We're still a very good team and can overcome this. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


2 minutes ago, BDA said:

Hopefully not an ACL but either way he's out for a while.

Huge loss to the team but we have a handy replacement in Grundy. Thought he worked his way into the game well last night.

We just got to suck this up and get on with it. We're still a very good team and can overcome this. 

My concern with losing Max isn’t around the ruck itself. Our midfield will adjust to playing under Grundy who is no slouch, just like they adjusted to play with Jackson. 

Gawn is so vital to our down the ground structure and takes contested marks. We have nobody who can replicate that and it does absolutely stuff up an entire pre- season of planning around two key ruckmen with Gawn playing deep forward.

It isn’t something you can just fine tune in a week of training. We don’t have anyone who can replace Gawn’s work around the ground, and Grundy having missed a year of footy is just not going to be able to shoulder his enormous work rate either. 
 

We need to very very quickly make some structural changes if we want to keep our flag chances going. It also doesn’t help that TMac seems to be cooked. 

  • Like 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Agree doesn’t look good but we can’t toss the whole year in….I can think of 3 clubs off the top of my head who won flags when they lost a vital player for the year with an ACL (Port 2004, Bulldogs 2016, Tigers 2019)

 

Let’s hope for the best though

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

My concern with losing Max isn’t around the ruck itself. Our midfield will adjust to playing under Grundy who is no slouch, just like they adjusted to play with Jackson. 

Gawn is so vital to our down the ground structure and takes contested marks. We have nobody who can replicate that and it does absolutely stuff up an entire pre- season of planning around two key ruckmen with Gawn playing deep forward.

It isn’t something you can just fine tune in a week of training. We don’t have anyone who can replace Gawn’s work around the ground, and Grundy having missed a year of footy is just not going to be able to shoulder his enormous work rate either. 
 

We need to very very quickly make some structural changes if we want to keep our flag chances going. It also doesn’t help that TMac seems to be cooked. 

I don't disagree with any of that Jaded. And TMac is a big worry for sure.

But injuries to key players happen all the time. It's a big inditement of the brains trust if plan B's are not in place for these eventualities. 

If the worst comes to the worst I believe we have the cattle to secure top 4. Other players need to step up leadership wise and the brains trust need to figure it out structurally. Its what they are paid to do.

  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, sisso said:

Agree doesn’t look good but we can’t toss the whole year in….I can think of 3 clubs off the top of my head who won flags when they lost a vital player for the year with an ACL (Port 2004, Bulldogs 2016, Tigers 2019)

 

Let’s hope for the best though

Great call...

Primus, murphy and rance?

  • Like 3
  • Love 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Jaded No More said:

My concern with losing Max isn’t around the ruck itself. Our midfield will adjust to playing under Grundy who is no slouch, just like they adjusted to play with Jackson. 

Gawn is so vital to our down the ground structure and takes contested marks. We have nobody who can replicate that and it does absolutely stuff up an entire pre- season of planning around two key ruckmen with Gawn playing deep forward.

It isn’t something you can just fine tune in a week of training. We don’t have anyone who can replace Gawn’s work around the ground, and Grundy having missed a year of footy is just not going to be able to shoulder his enormous work rate either. 
 

We need to very very quickly make some structural changes if we want to keep our flag chances going. It also doesn’t help that TMac seems to be cooked. 

Very fair point. Any changes are going to take weeks to take effect. The challenge is laid down though and our premiership coaches will have to earn their bucks.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fr_ap said:

Given his height and age, if it's a medical we're probably looking at 8-12 weeks. If an ACL we all know how long.

Either way, we're going to have to figure out how to play without him for a while, so let's talk about that. Do they pull the trigger on Schache? I thought Tom's ruckwork was very poor and directly cost us quite a few goals. 

Brodie will get better but he's a different player to Max and is not going to give us the contested marking presence we need. Not sure Schache takes a strong contested mark either. 

Max is irreplaceable but we will need to do something. Is KFW too raw? He seems further progressed than Verrall. 

I think Schache will come in for Gawn and they'll try to persist with Tom up forward until he either finds form or JVR kicks him out. 

I agree ... rather than have to swing things around too much Schache for Gawn makes more sense.  Ruck forward with some time in the middle with Grundy in the middle (and back) to help out

But I can't say I know a lot about Schache as a ruck/forward but others here could enlighten

We don't want to burden Grundy with too much to do week in week out.  

Anyway, if Schache plays that allows us to use T-Mac in a fashion where he can work up the ground leaving space for a non double-teamed Brown to lead into.  Worked in round 1

But again, I'm not sure that Schache can do well enough to play the role we might need him for.  Worth a try though as Grundy can't do it all on his own and T-Mac's rucking is questionable (not effective)

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The worry for me is he has already had 2 major knee injuries earlier in his career. I was 30 metres away at the Casey ground when he did his 2nd one right in front of me. The history of people with 3 major knee injuries is not good, and at Max's age recovery is longer. 

Here's hoping a mild strain of something, and its 6-8 weeks maximum.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Let me throw a conspiracy theory out there. P.s. physio here.

To me the communication was weird From Goody and Alan Richardson. 

Melbourne and Gawn MAY be considering an no-op management of his ACL (if ACL is suspected). 

In that case, they would definitely be murky with the results. Bulldogs did this and lied about Giansiracusa and his ACL. They went with a no-op management. The only reason for the consideration would be Gawn's age and premiership window.

Whilst the Lachman's test was negative (95% accuracy), nothing was mentioned about an anterior draw. An anterior draw is an alternate test for an ACL, however it's less reliable. 

A clinical guess can only assume its VERY unlikely he has done his ACL. Technically, Max is a 5% chance of an ACL. Enjoy your Saturday. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Love 6
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RyanD said:

Let me throw a conspiracy theory out there. P.s. physio here.

To me the communication was weird From Goody and Alan Richardson. 

Melbourne and Gawn MAY be considering an no-op management of his ACL (if ACL is suspected). 

In that case, they would definitely be murky with the results. Bulldogs did this and lied about Giansiracusa and his ACL. They went with a no-op management. The only reason for the consideration would be Gawn's age and premiership window.

Whilst the Lachman's test was negative (95% accuracy), nothing was mentioned about an anterior draw. An anterior draw is an alternate test for an ACL, however it's less reliable. 

A clinical guess can only assume its VERY unlikely he has done his ACL. Technically, Max is a 5% chance of an ACL. Enjoy your Saturday. 

Feeling better already. 

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was out last night and missed the game until the last 5 minutes (luckily)

cane on here to find out about Max - is it a confirmed ACL and he’s out for a year, or is it just rampant MFCSS atm?

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Demon17 said:

Grateful the list  build is in the hands of people like Taylor and Lamb in these occasions, recognising our achilles heel (one of them) in ruck stocks.  Now with Schache we can at least have a form of solution.

Heartfelt thoughts to Max at this time .  A wonderful leader.

 

Schache would be behind TMac as a ruck option.

  • Thinking 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, RyanD said:

Let me throw a conspiracy theory out there. P.s. physio here.

To me the communication was weird From Goody and Alan Richardson. 

Melbourne and Gawn MAY be considering an no-op management of his ACL (if ACL is suspected). 

In that case, they would definitely be murky with the results. Bulldogs did this and lied about Giansiracusa and his ACL. They went with a no-op management. The only reason for the consideration would be Gawn's age and premiership window.

Whilst the Lachman's test was negative (95% accuracy), nothing was mentioned about an anterior draw. An anterior draw is an alternate test for an ACL, however it's less reliable. 

A clinical guess can only assume its VERY unlikely he has done his ACL. Technically, Max is a 5% chance of an ACL. Enjoy your Saturday. 

Can I ask how you know the test you mentioned was negative? 


Also what does it look like for a 31 year old giant with 2 previous recos to not undergo a surgical ACL repair? 
What is the alternative?

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, rpfc said:

Schache would be behind TMac as a ruck option.

I think Tmac’s busted foot disagrees. 
He looks cooked. He says himself he’s playing with pain and needing management. Rucking is literally the last thing I think his body can handle. 

  • Like 9
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Demonland Forums  

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles  

    GAMEDAY: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    It's Game Day and after 2 losses on the trot the Dees must win against the Saints today at the MCG to keep in touch with the Top 4. A loss today will see them drop out of the Top 8 for the first time since 2020.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 78

    HEAVEN OR HELL by The Oracle

    Clashes between Melbourne and St Kilda are often described as battles between the forces of heaven and hell. However, based on recent performances, it’s hard to get excited about the forthcoming match between these two sides. It would be fair to say that, at the moment, both of these teams are in the doldrums. The Demons have become the competition’s slow starters while the Saints are not only slow to begin, they’re not doing much of a job finishing off their games either. About the only th

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons

    THE BLOW by Whispering Jack

    Narrm’s finals prospects took a crushing blow after the team’s insipid performance at Optus Stadium against a confident Waaljit Marawar in the first of its Doug Nicholls Round outings for 2024.  I use the description “crushing blow” advisedly because, although the season is not yet at it’s halfway mark, the Demons have now failed abysmally in two of their games against teams currently occupying bottom eight places on the ladder.  The manner in which these losing games were played out w

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports 6

    HALF FULL by KC from Casey

    It was a case of the Casey Demons going into a game with a glass half full in their match up against the Brisbane Lions at Casey Fields on Saturday. As the list of injured and unavailable AFL and VFL listed players continues to grow and with Melbourne taking all three emergencies to Perth for the weekend on a “just in case” basis, its little brother was always destined to struggle. Casey was left with only eight AFL listed players from who to select their team but only two - an out-of-form

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    PREGAME: Rd 11 vs St. Kilda

    The Demons return to the MCG to take on the Saints in Round 11 on the back of two straight losses in a row. With Jake Lever out with concussion who comes in and who goes out?

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 419

    PODCAST: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    The Demonland Podcast will air LIVE on Monday, 20th May @ 8:30pm. Join George, Binman & I as we dissect the Demons disaapoiting performance against the Eagles at Optus Stadium in Round 10. You questions and comments are a huge part of our podcast so please post anything you want to ask or say below and we'll give you a shout out on the show. If you would like to leave us a voicemail please call 03 9016 3666 and don't worry no body answers so you don't have to talk to a human.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 45

    VOTES: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Last week Captain Max Gawn consolidated his lead over reigning champion Christian Petracca in the Demonland Player of the Year Award. Steven May, Alex Neal-Bullen & Jake Lever make up the Top 5. Your votes for the loss against the Blues. 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 37

    POSTGAME: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    Many warned that this was a danger game and the Demons were totally outclassed all game by a young Eagles team at Optus Stadium in Perth as they were defeated by 35 points.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 445

    GAMEDAY: Rd 10 vs West Coast

    It's Game Day and the Demons have returned to the site of their drought breaking Premiership to take on the West Coast Eagles in what could very well be a danger game for Narrm at Optus Stadium. A win and a percentage boost will keep the Dees in top four contention whilst a loss will cast doubt on the Dees flag credentials and bring them back to the pack fighting for a spot in the 8 as we fast approach the halfway point of the season.

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Melbourne Demons 884
  • Tell a friend

    Love Demonland? Tell a friend!

×
×
  • Create New...