Adam Tomlinson on the move?

dazzledavey36

I agree with McClure for once. Reckon there will be a club who'll take him for depth as a defender.

3rd or 4th round pick perhaps..

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/19/mcclure-would-be-surprised-if-contracted-demon-remains-at-melbourne-in-2023/

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Thinking 2

4 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

I agree with McClure for once. Reckon there will be a club who'll take him for depth as a defender.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2022/09/19/mcclure-would-be-surprised-if-contracted-demon-remains-at-melbourne-in-2023/

Yep agree, I will be surprised if he’s on our list next season 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dazzledavey36 said:

Good get by the dogs to get Jones in, but they are still need a big defender i reckon. Tomlinson would be good fit. 

The blues might also look at him

• Like 2

I know he's not as good as Petty as a defender, but he could replace Petty as a permanent defender and Petty move forward. (Turner the other option)

I thought he was solid in the early rounds of 2022 when were missing Lever and Petty and played an excellent game against Port in NT in round 18.

Was very quick to be omitted after ordinary games against Sydney and Bulldogs where as others were immune from an axing.

But yeah, for the betterment of his career, he probably needs to find a club light on for key defenders.

Edited by Bring-Back-Powell
  • Like 9

1 minute ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

I know he's not as good as Petty as a defender, but he could replace Petty as a permanent defender and Petty move forward. (Turner the other option)

I thought he was solid in the early rounds of 2022 when were missing Lever and Petty and played an excellent game against Port in NT as a defender in round 18.

Was very quick to be omitted after ordinary games against Sydney and Bulldogs where as others were immune from an axing.

But yeah, for the betterment of his career, he probably needs to find a club light on for key defenders.

He gets out marked in one on one contests way to often 

• Sad 1

Don't mind him staying so we have some flexibility to move Petty around.

But if he can get a longer deal at another club would be best to let him go for his sake.

Relieves a chunk of $ for other areas as well. 

• Like 1

Before he did his knee he was playing great footy and worked well with Lever and May plus he kept Petty out of the team. If he can get back to that level then I hope we keep him. As others have said he, at his best can still play back and gives us options with Petty.

• Like 3

Surely Tomlinson only moves if he's promised a regular 22 starting position, not a depth position. He's already a depth defender for us that with an injury or two, could find himself playing deep in finals again next year.

Edited by A F
  • Like 3

20 minutes ago, Demons11 said:

He gets out marked in one on one contests way to often 

Was best 1:1 in the league last year before his knee. Haven't got a strong feeling either way on stay or leave, just wanted to give the bloke credit for how he probably exceeded my expectations when we first recruited him. 

Screenshot_20220920-111743_Chrome.jpg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, A F said:

Surely Tomlinson only moves if he's promised a regular 22 starting position, not a depth position. He's already a depth defender for us that with an injury or two, could find himself playing deep in finals again next year.

Thanks 'A F'...spot on. If he's going for depth he might as well stay.

It makes no sense to move on.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Palace Dees said:

Was best 1:1 in the league last year before his knee. Haven't got a strong feeling either way on stay or leave, just wanted to give the bloke credit for how he probably exceeded my expectations when we first recruited him. 

The fact that posters here were concerned about how our defence would cope going forward when Tomlinson did his knee in round 7 2021 would back up the above stat. He was a key part of our early season success of 2021. He was solid in the early rounds this year too. Then lost his spot to Petty and came back for a mid season game against Sydney and then dropped straight away. He wasn't afforded any continuity this year. 

There has only really been one game where he's been completely dominated as a defender and that was Sam Reid/Sydney in round 12 this year.

• Like 3

Be a great get from a club looking for key def, and there isn't a lot of good ones around.   Would be a win win for us and him, he gets a B22 position and we free up 500k.

if a deal can't be done we still keep a very very handy back up.  

• Like 1

If another club is willing to take a punt on Tomlinson, I'd be happy for us to move him and open up some salary cap room. 

Post ACL, Tomlinson hasn't looked good as a 1-1 defender or as a mobile intercept defender. Moving forward, Turner looks like far better depth.

If we have any intentions of playing Petty forward, we'd keep Tomlinson.

• Like 2

Sure, we've got no genuine midfield depth, no key forward depth, and no ruck depth, so let's get rid of our key defender depth as well.

You can't fairly judge players first year back from a knee reconstruction, especially when they don't get the benefit of a full pre season.

I'd be disappointed if this move was made, unless there is something seriously good coming back the other way.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, whatwhat say what said:

opportunity would clearly exist for him at a third club

what we get for him would be determined by how much of his wage another club is prepared to take on

another club would likely offer 2 or 3 years and flattenn his contract so not 100% sure we would pay anything at all

• Like 1

Yes I thought Dees might look to grab one of the Kangas “compo” picks. Unfortunately the only two with bargaining chips we can look at are Bedford or Tomlinson.  Their appetite to move is depending on

- how the relationship is with the coach (given they got quickly flicked to Casey, whilst others were consistently non performing) 

and/or

-whether they and their manager think they get more games and game time elsewhere.  

Tomlinson stepped up easily when we were without May or Petty. He played good games but was put back to Casey once May-Petty returned.  He allows Lever to play as a 3rd tall and intercept player. If Lever has to pickup the 2nd best defender, then he’s less effective.  Tomlinson offers high quality backup and owned games back at Casey.  If he’s not in Goodys favourites list, it’s very disappointing but he might as well look elsewhere.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Palace Dees said:

So he goes ok right??

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Jibroni said:

He would get a game at the Kanagroos and his experience would help them.

They'll have McKay, Logue and Corr, with a mid season draftee Dawson taken last year. He'd be further down the depth chart at North than he would be with us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

Yes I thought Dees might look to grab one of the Kangas “compo” picks. Unfortunately the only two with bargaining chips we can look at are Bedford or Tomlinson.  Their appetite to move is depending on

- how the relationship is with the coach (given they got quickly flicked to Casey, whilst others were consistently non performing) 

and/or

-whether they and their manager think they get more games and game time elsewhere.  

Tomlinson stepped up easily when we were without May or Petty. He played good games but was put back to Casey once May-Petty returned.  He allows Lever to play as a 3rd tall and intercept player. If Lever has to pickup the 2nd best defender, then he’s less effective.  Tomlinson offers high quality backup and owned games back at Casey.  If he’s not in Goodys favourites list, it’s very disappointing but he might as well look elsewhere.   

I just hope Lever gets his ankles and feet right next year or we will be down a defender

• Like 2