CHANGES: Rd 04 vs Port Adelaide

Demonland

No chance in the world B.Brown doesn’t play. Assuming he was just a close contact and didn’t actually have COVID, I highly doubt he’s been sitting on his bum playing Xbox. He’ll have been on the treadmill or running laps of his yard, or something. He’s a professional, and he was in great form that he will want to continue. 

In: Lever, Brown

Out: Hunt, McDonald

• Like 7

Looking at a 2nd short break plus its interstate again, so l expect some changes. Rivers, May and a few others looked a touch sore at times so it may sort itself out without dropping anyone.

Lever l would get to play a half in the VFL first. BBB has to come back if he has not been infected, he was very good against the bulldogs.

TomMac and Tomlinson are probably nervous based on the form of the big's alone. Port and GWS next round don't have big forward lines either - but we are short of players that can play back. So l think a small or medium non back will make way for BBB. Tmac could go back to defence as the 3rd tall to help the balance if that were the case

Edited by Demons1858
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Nasher said:

No chance in the world B.Brown doesn’t play. Assuming he was just a close contact and didn’t actually have COVID, I highly doubt he’s been sitting on his bum playing Xbox. He’ll have been on the treadmill or running laps of his yard, or something. He’s a professional, and he was in great form that he will want to continue. 

In: Lever, Brown

Out: Hunt, McDonald

Last seen on Instagram wearing a mask and sitting on his bum watching the AFLW. 
He’s no chance. 4-6 weeks. 

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, Bombay Airconditioning said:

I saw that, was impressed with that passage of play. But he does go missing in games, the throw away line of “pressure acts” or “not understanding his/someone’s role” gets used a lot here and is currently worn out. I’m not suggesting he gets dropped but like a few of our players at the moment, they’re just travelling. No reason for concern, it’s a long season and they’ll all fire when required.

He only goes missing if you only value his offensive contribution (and Spargo's). Goody would not ever drop Kozzie and Spargo and probably could not be happier with what they delivered on Friday.   The facts are they had 27% of the teams tackles, and 19% of the teams pressure acts playing as small forwards.  That is astounding.  It's why we had 66 inside 50s to 39 despite losing clearances, as the pressured exits from defensive 50 for Essendon resulted in a lot of midfield turnovers.  The reason we didn't win by 80 points is our delivery inside 50 after midfield turnovers was poor, and our defence was off and leaked.  

• Like 15
  • Love 2

19 hours ago, monoccular said:

IF that is the case BBB for TMCD and Lever for Hunt or maybe Tommo?  Smith?  

Lever for Tommo, Hunt offers too much and might just bring it to the game. BBB for TMac, yes. 

• Like 2

Likely Ins: BBB (tall forward) & Lever ( tall defender)

Out : TMac (tall forward) & Tomlinson (tall defender moving slowly) or May (looked injured)

As highlighted above Port forward line not tall, so can’t see how Hunt is dropped, and he played okay.

• Like 2
  • Thinking 1

27 minutes ago, Watson11 said:

He only goes missing if you only value his offensive contribution (and Spargo's). Goody would not ever drop Kozzie and Spargo and probably could not be happier with what they delivered on Friday.   The facts are they had 27% of the teams tackles, and 19% of the teams pressure acts playing as small forwards.  That is astounding.  It's why we had 66 inside 50s to 39 despite losing clearances, as the pressured exits from defensive 50 for Essendon resulted in a lot of midfield turnovers.  The reason we didn't win by 80 points is our delivery inside 50 after midfield turnovers was poor, and our defence was off and leaked.  

I do value offensive contributions.

I never mentioned him getting dropped.

Was never talking about Spargo.

The reason we didn’t win by 80 was because our set shots on goal were poor at best for the first half.

• Like 1

Once again selection is tricky ( unbelievable  isn't it)

Weid's four means he stays. If BBB is available then he comes in.

Lever, if fit , comes in. Therefore we we don't need the Tmac back option - so he is out.

One more to go. Must be be Tommo, Smith or Hunt. Hunt's pace may save save him. Therefore I'm guessing Tommo out.

• Like 5

10 hours ago, bluey said:

Petracca rested,  playing injured, replaced by Dunstan. Could not possibly get up in a few days.

Tomlinson axed, Tommy goes back, Weed plays further up the ground.

Dunstan won't come in on his performance with Casey today - looked half hearted in the second half - sloppy skills and going through the motions

• Facepalm 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, Jaded No More said:

Close contact iso period is 6 days not 7 as far as I know. And apparently he was a close contact starting yesterday. So he should be available and will 10000% play if he is, even if it means he flies in the morning of the game. It’s one hour. I’m sure he can survive. 

I can’t see us risking Lever. 

Lever is the player we need. Struggled against tall forwards the last 2 weeks, May needs help and Lever is the man I think Tomlinson will be the one dropped. Weideman can't go out of the side after that performance which means McDonald could be dropped which is a possibility for Big Ben.

• Like 4

We are the Premiers, everyone wants to play, if you are injured you hold on until you can't walk or are playing so badly you are out. If you don't play someone steps up and takes your place.

Bowey has stepped up and replaced the Salem role. Tomlinson has replaced Petty who originally stepped up and replaced him. Don't know who would replace Viney, Trac, Clarry or Max, but that's part of being successful, someone will step up.

No player wants to miss selection, for any reason. It's a great situation to have.

• Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

Footy fans over-estimate the impact of the "short" six day break between games.

I've heard players say that it really doesn't make a lot of difference compared to seven days given their high levels of fitness and the expertise these days in recovery practices.

Lever if fit and Brown if available to come in and no unforced "resting" for mine.

• Like 10

14 hours ago, Watson11 said:

There is a pattern emerging when discussing Kozzie

He has a low possession game, a certain cohort on DL emerge questioning his performance

In response his stat sheet is produced outlining the tackles and pressure acts clearly demonstrating his value to the team

Most notable example is after the GF. Wasn;t until his highlights were produced showing the shepherds, blocks,  and 1%'s that the penny dropped for some DL's

I wasn’t at Fridays game but witnessed his performance against the Suns. He hustled and harried all game. The Suns defenders did not get a second of peace all night. 

To his detractors, he is playing a role and playing it well. Please look at the tapes.

• Like 11
  • Love 2

If its a decision between Thommo and Smith then Smith stays in for mine

Thommo's form is patchy. Give him a spell at Casey to find his sharpness and confidence. Longer term i think Thommo is a better player but on form Smith deserves to stay in

• Like 4

2 hours ago, BDA said:

There is a pattern emerging when discussing Kozzie

He has a low possession game, a certain cohort on DL emerge questioning his performance

In response his stat sheet is produced outlining the tackles and pressure acts clearly demonstrating his value to the team

Most notable example is after the GF. Wasn;t until his highlights were produced showing the shepherds, blocks,  and 1%'s that the penny dropped for some DL's

I wasn’t at Fridays game but witnessed his performance against the Suns. He hustled and harried all game. The Suns defenders did not get a second of peace all night. 

To his detractors, he is playing a role and playing it well. Please look at the tapes.

Agree with your comments. The other thing on Demonland is a number expect consistent stats/goals each week - e.g. Fritsch only had one goal 6-7 possessions drop him, next week he kicks 5 goals from 6-7 possessions great game. Very few forwards have a consistent output week to week, as long as they are doing most of the right things FD stick with them and we see the results.

Look at Bowey last week against Suns, 30 plus possessions, but as Goodwin stated, he played the same way the week before and things went his way last week.

• Like 2

Will be interesting to see how we go with selections.  I'd love to see Weid get a decent run at it.  But at the same time, I feel like he plays the BBB role of full forward whereas Mitch Brown is more the replacement for TMac.  Would be interesting to see if its possible to play Weid and BBB in the same side - I feel like they won't want to do that until at least one of Lever / Petty are back which could be this week.

I think Tomlinson is not inside our best 22 so will be the one to lose his spot for Lever.  When Petty is ready it will probably be Hunt that loses his spot and Smith will be the 4th tall with Hibbo nipping at his heels if his form drops. If Smith continues to grow he will become undroppable because he offers flexibility to play tall / small and has the strength to go with the dangerous mids that go forward.

If we keep winning there's going to be a number of unlucky players - I thought Hunt was very disciplined and careful with his disposal on Friday night.  But unfortunately for him, unless Bowey's form drops / Salem doesn't make it back,  he's outside best 22 as well.

• Haha 1

On 4/2/2022 at 9:27 AM, bluey said:

Petracca rested,  playing injured, replaced by Dunstan. Could not possibly get up in a few days.

Not going to happen. He didn't have his biggest game but he still did enough. He's far too good to 'rest.'

Edited by Hopeful Demon
  • Like 1
  • Facepalm 1

On 4/2/2022 at 11:17 AM, KingDingAling said:

It was a bad game for us. Multiple changes need to be made when we struggled with an undermanned Essendon outfit, who really are no better than a good VFL side at present.

Are you actually serious? We were literally missing Brown, Salem, Lever, Hibberd and Petty. If anyone was undermanned, it was us. There was absolutely nothing wrong with our win at all. Some people are still yet to understand that top teams don't always need to have pretty wins. We're getting the job done.

Edited by Hopeful Demon
  • Like 9

1 hour ago, Hopeful Demon said:

Are you actually serious? We were literally missing Brown, Salem, Lever, Hibberd and Petty. If anyone was undermanned, it was us. There was absolutely nothing wrong with our win at all. Some people are still yet to understand that top teams don't always need to have pretty wins. We're getting the job done.

Agree totally with you HD. I really believe that Lever and Petty’s absence has been a huge loss for us. Petty is still seriously underrated imo 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, deelusions from afar said:

I think Tomlinson is not inside our best 22 so will be the one to lose his spot for Lever.

For mine, Tomlinson has gone back to the "why did we trade for him?" player of a couple of seasons back, an almost player without any standout qualities. It's true he'd got it together at the beginning of last season, but he hasn't recaptured that form post-injury and doesn't seem to be improving either.

If Brown is back, McDonald out. The days of Tom getting 20 possessions and bobbing up all over the ground seem well behind him, he just doesn't seem to have the mobility or presence of a season or so back. File under Melksham, except that McDonald still has a couple of seasons on his (new) contract.

• Like 1