Will Nathan Jones get a farewell game?

Redbeard

3 hours ago, Little Goffy said:

I'm never going to forgive the nuffies who didn't take Covid19 seriously. Nathan Jones having to choose between being with the team in Perth or the fabulous wife and imminent twins in Melbourne is just another reason.

Far from the worst thing going on, but it got under my skin perhaps because it is symbolic of the most common cost that we are all paying.

At the next federal election remember who has responsibility for quarantine and international border control as well as vaccine procurement

and if you’re in NSW you can blame gaslighting Gladys the bin chicken also

Limo driver-> Bondi. No mask,  not vaccinated, doing airport transfers 

jesus wept

• Thanks 1
  • Facepalm 2

4 hours ago, Superunknown said:

At the next federal election remember who has responsibility for quarantine and international border control as well as vaccine procurement

and if you’re in NSW you can blame gaslighting Gladys the bin chicken also

Limo driver-> Bondi. No mask,  not vaccinated, doing airport transfers 

jesus wept

Ease up. The facts do the job and are well known.

42 minutes ago, JJ Haydos said:

(when we win)...Goodwin to give his medal to Chunk on the podium...

Noooo! It was different with Bob Murphy in that he was injured and therefore couldn’t play. IMO this gesture is a little patronising. Jonesy is a proud man. 

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Demons11 said:

They have been talking up Jones for a few weeks now, I reckon he is locked in for the sub role this weekend.

I reckon they're holding him as insurance for a PF injury (ie he's in the 23-25 to be picked range). If we get through unscathed, then I suspect they're going to have an honest conversation with him and send him home for the birth of his kids.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, WalkingCivilWar said:

Noooo! It was different with Bob Murphy in that he was injured and therefore couldn’t play. IMO this gesture is a little patronising. Jonesy is a proud man. 

Agree - but also if he (and I suppose anyone else) is medisub and doesn't get onto the field the medal will feel hollow.

Goodwin was on AFL 360 last night.

He repeated earlier comments that the 'veterans' Melksham, Hibberd and Jones were working really hard and were ready, if needed.  Then he talked about keeping a stable team at this time of the year and not making changes (paraphrasing). 

He didn't mention AVB and JJ but they would also be in contention, if needed. 

Hunt is also in the running to come back.  From the Richardson SEN interview it sounded like Hunt would be back as his speed really helps us or words to that effect, whcih then puts Smith/Bowey in the mix.

I had no sense that Jones would be 1st or 2nd in line should injuries hit.  Maybe further down the order going on who has been selected ahead of him in recent times.

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 3

Max: 

“There’s no sugarcoating this. He is the 24th player currently right now. Obviously the 23rd [medical sub] on the weekend was Jimmy Jordon, and the 22 that played. [Jones] is probably sitting 24, I mean [Jake] Melksham, Michael Hibberd and Jayden Hunt are all there as well, so there’s probably four guys that are trying to get into this team, and Goody’s [coach Simon Goodwin is] going to have a long discussion,” Gawn said.

“We were a team that won on the weekend by 40 points in a qualifying final with no injuries. It’s a massive call to make a change. Will Nathan be able to stand up in a hot prelim final more than James Jordon if called on as sub? James Jordon has put in a great body of work, 23 weeks, that’s been a great body of work that definitely deserves his chance, and Jake Melksham did a great job...four weeks ago on Jeremy McGovern.  “I don’t envy what Goody’s got to do, but there’s no sugar on this situation. There [are] five guys fighting for a spot in this side...

Not a ringing endorsement from the captain.  Don't like Jones' chances.

• Like 5

33 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Max: 

“There’s no sugarcoating this. He is the 24th player currently right now. Obviously the 23rd [medical sub] on the weekend was Jimmy Jordon, and the 22 that played. [Jones] is probably sitting 24, I mean [Jake] Melksham, Michael Hibberd and Jayden Hunt are all there as well, so there’s probably four guys that are trying to get into this team, and Goody’s [coach Simon Goodwin is] going to have a long discussion,” Gawn said.

“We were a team that won on the weekend by 40 points in a qualifying final with no injuries. It’s a massive call to make a change. Will Nathan be able to stand up in a hot prelim final more than James Jordon if called on as sub? James Jordon has put in a great body of work, 23 weeks, that’s been a great body of work that definitely deserves his chance, and Jake Melksham did a great job...four weeks ago on Jeremy McGovern.  “I don’t envy what Goody’s got to do, but there’s no sugar on this situation. There [are] five guys fighting for a spot in this side...

Unusual to hear a captain talk like this. Although I like his directness, I think such detailed responses on player selection should be left to the Coaches.  Not like Max is on the selection committee.  Max should not be giving more information than the head coach imo

If my captain was questioning whether I could "stand up" like a kid who debuted this year, I'd be [censored] as a former captain and 300 gamer. I am sure he meant no harm but best to leave this stuff to the coach

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Max: 

23. Jordan
24. Jones/Hunt/Hibberd/Melksham

Poor vandenBerg not even in the discussion 

1 hour ago, DubDee said:

Unusual to hear a captain talk like this. Although I like his directness, I think such detailed responses on player selection should be left to the Coaches.  Not like Max is on the selection committee.  Max should not be giving more information than the head coach imo

If my captain was questioning whether I could "stand up" like a kid who debuted this year, I'd be [censored] as a former captain and 300 gamer. I am sure he meant no harm but best to leave this stuff to the coach

Goodwin said something similar on AFL360 last night - see my post above from this morning.

So in a way, Max was towing the company line but went a bit further.

In a way I think the club is trying to dampen the external expectations/distractions.  Jones would know where he stands and that is the main thing..

Edited by Lucifer's Hero
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

Goodwin said something similar on AFL360 last night - see my post above from this morning.

So in a way, Max was towing the company line but went a bit further.

In a way I think the club is trying to dampen the external expectations/distractions.  Jones would know where he stands and that is the main thing..

Thanks. Yeah I agree. It seems clear Jonsey won’t be playing unless there are injuries. 

I think Max was trying to do the right thing. Just might have said a bit too much imo

• Like 1

It is not a fairytale for me, I honestly think these PF games are for the battle tested, this is going to be a brutal game. I allow that Sparrow, Smith, Jordon and Bowey have youth and leg speed over Jonesy, but I will keep banging on about the need for a wrecking ball, I just want our 22 to have a bit more hardness. Hibbered for Smith and Jones for Sparrow. Nothing farewell about it, right tools for the job. We beat Geelong in the 2018 EF because we smashed into them in the 1st qtr.

Edited by DEE fence
our not out
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, DEE fence said:

It is not a fairytale for me, I honestly think these PF games are for the battle tested, this is going to be a brutal game. I allow that Sparrow, Smith, Jordon and Bowey have youth and leg speed over Jonesy, but I will keep banging on about the need for a wrecking ball, I just want our 22 to have a bit more hardness. Hibbered for Smith and Jones for Sparrow. Nothing farewell about it, right tools for the job. We beat Geelong in the 2018 EF because we smashed into them in the 1st qtr.

Those ins won't happen. Hunt and Melksham are more of a chance particularly Hunt with his burst of speed either in attack or defence.

1 hour ago, DEE fence said:

Smith and Sparrow are hard!
No need to replace them. And no changes to the team. 

afl-team-news-preliminary-finals-2021-melbourne-vs-geelong-lineups

Tom Morris reporting that:  "Hibberd’s elevation is bad news for veteran Nathan Jones, who was banking on an injury or late change of heart from Goodwin to keep his dreams of a fairytale premiership alive. The veteran will likely fly home to Melbourne on Saturday if he is not selected this week for the birth of his and his wife’s twins."

It will be sad for Jones but it will be a good family decision.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Lucifer's Hero said:

afl-team-news-preliminary-finals-2021-melbourne-vs-geelong-lineups

Tom Morris reporting that:  "Hibberd’s elevation is bad news for veteran Nathan Jones, who was banking on an injury or late change of heart from Goodwin to keep his dreams of a fairytale premiership alive. The veteran will likely fly home to Melbourne on Saturday if he is not selected this week for the birth of his and his wife’s twins."

It will be sad for Jones but it will be a good family decision.  

“Likely” being the key word… no injuries fly home, injuries (depending on whom) and Nathan stays on…

I think there should be consideration for a premiership ring or something similar to American football where all players that play through the year get recognition for the contribution to the team getting there. I think premiership medals for the team on the day is fair, but jeez it just feels wrong that someone like Jonesy is missing out on this and even worse having to choose between family and the outside chance he might get picked. 

40 minutes ago, Pates said:

I think there should be consideration for a premiership ring or something similar to American football where all players that play through the year get recognition for the contribution to the team getting there. I think premiership medals for the team on the day is fair, but jeez it just feels wrong that someone like Jonesy is missing out on this and even worse having to choose between family and the outside chance he might get picked. 

I think only the 22 players getting premiership medals makes them worth more so much more. 
Im not sure exactly how Ameican football works, I dont follow it but in the NBA everyone on the team getting one is a bit much. 

For comparison; I will use recent Finals MVP Giannis Antetokounmpo and his two brothers Thanasis and Kostas that all have 1 ring each.

Kostas played for the lakers - 5 games in the 2019-2020 season averaged 4 minutes a game, Zero minutes in the playoffs (sat on the bench the entire time) and has a ring. He is now playing in the EUROLeague because he isn't good enough for the NBA

Thanasis played with Giannis in 2020-21 season for the Bucks - 57 games for the season, 9 minutes per game on average.
13 playoff games (did not play finals) for an average time of 3.5 minutes per game and has a ring. 

Giannis in 2020-21 season for the bucks played 61 games and averaged 33 minutes, played 21 games in the playoffs for an average of 38 minutes and has a ring. 

There are some terrible players with undeserved rings, some which even get traded mid year that end up with rings for that team.
In their current system a player could have played for one team at the start of the year, get traded mid year then be competing against their previous team in the Finals and still get presented a ring no matter who wins. its ridiculous.

In the NBA, not all rings are equal. In the AFL the premierships are.