Posting Unsubstantiated Rumours on this Website is Strictly Forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Does McDonald go back?

Jhorse

We played much better with TMac hiding down a KPD role today. 

Keep him there. Bring in Weed. 

Not sold at all on Petty.  It's just bringing in someone who is tall back because we need one. We have a bloke in the 22 who played well there today. We have another bloke banging the door down to get in up forward. 

• Like 2

Goodwin said post match Petty is ready to play and will get an opportunity. 
Tmac was also mentioned but I believe he would be the backup option. 
May is not a spring chicken. It’s important to win games but you need to always keep one eye on the future. Petty is the future, and if he isn’t,  now is the time to find out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jaded said:

But Petty is on the list for this exact reason and he will never be ready if we don’t make him ready. He did ok when May was out. Replacing Tommo is much easier a task than replacing May. 
We have to give Petty a real crack at it. He has shown plenty in the VFL and he is the future. If it doesn’t work out we have TMac, but people forget why TMac was taken out of the backline. His deficiencies haven’t changed.  

In 2015 he was being touted as a potential AA backmen. And even though he'd been back and forth between forward and back between 2015-17 he became a permanent forward after the injury to Jesse Hogan. Because he did so well there esp in 2018 he's stayed there. Now we're deficient in the backline. I think he can do it.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yes! 

People have short memories.  TMac was a very very solid 1st defender only 4yrs ago.  He would be taking on a 3rd forward in our current team. He should dominate... strengthening up an already outstanding defence

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pickett2Jackson said:

That is good to know.  I believe he will deliver the goods.

I guess Weid is out of luck again unless they decide to drop T Mac or Brown which is doubtful.

Or Fritsch gets suspended... is that any chance?

• Sad 1

For mine yes. But my preference will not come to pass as Goody has stated Petty will come in.

We view ourselves as being a team that will be still competing at the pointy end of the season. We need to go with proven quantities when they are in form. Tomald is just that. 

Petty needs to be given his chance under different circumstances. A game against a fellow top four team while we are trying to remain top of the ladder is not that time for me.

Tmac to CHB, Weid to CHF.

Weid and Brown have some chemistry playing together and well.

Petty might be ok, but he was terrible vs Hawks and tbh after today’s performance of playing back Tmac should get the nod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

NO

Coach has said Petty will come in.

Did he?

This is what he said:

"Harrison Petty played a few weeks ago and is ready to play some good AFL footy so that is exciting for us that he will get an opportunity and Tom McDonald, as you saw today, we pushed him back and he performed really strongly," Goodwin said.

"Competition for spots is healthy and we will keep picking the team that we think is best for the opposition and the way we want to play."

I'm not sure if "he will get an opportunity" means "he'll play next week" given everything else he said.

Edited by titan_uranus
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Seetrollgetttroll said:

I don't dislike the idea of McDonald going down back and Weideman coming into the side as a forward. The problem with that is that Weideman and Brown play pretty similarly, that being close to goal where as McDonald adds a different dimension being able to push further up the ground. 

Petty is good at this stage but there's no evidence to suggest he can play that position better than McDonald. So whether McDonald goes back or goes forward, it seems like we're losing something on whichever end McDonald doesn't play in (with respect to Petty, who I definitely rate highly as a young player with a lot of potential). 

I'd lean towards McDonald going back and and Weideman coming in because that allows us to play our best key position players in one side at the same time but wouldn't be surprised if Goodwin and the rest of the coaching staff go the other way. Should be interesting to see what happens.

I like the idea of MacDonald going back and Weed coming into the forward line with Brown. People forget that, not only have Brown and Weed trained together, but they have excelled playing together in the VFL.

Before anybody chips in to say the AFL is faster, both have been there before. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, george_on_the_outer said:

NO

Coach has said Petty will come in.

No he didn't he talked him up but didn't say he was in the side.

from afl.com

5. It's time for T-Mac to head back

With Adam Tomlinson facing an extended stint on the sidelines, swingman Tom McDonald must return to defence to help the Demons' team balance. McDonald showed his capabilities down back as he made five intercepts when switched to defence during the second half against the Kangaroos and he'll likely need to continue in this role to allow defensive linchpins Steven May and Jake Lever play their natural games. His shift to defence will also allow coach Simon Goodwin to bring Sam Weideman back in after another strong VFL performance. - Jonathan Healy

• Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 4:44 PM, MurDoc516 said:

This comes down to attribute thing. Tomlinson was tall, strong and deceptively quick over 10 yards allowing him to do really well on the bigger lockdown forwards.

What we saw from Petty, if you forgive his mistakes and say it was rust/inexperience, was a guy who didn't want to get caught on a lead and would rather wrestle.

McDonald (vs little competition) today showed he has the attributes to cover what Tomlinson brought.

Now the next point is, bringing Petty in is like for like. Sending McDonald back opens up the door for Weid and keeps him happy. Brown looked a tad slow and immobile today, but it was his first AFL level game in a while and we butchered nearly every pass too him. Weid, is very similar to what we saw from Brown today. Having two of the same player might cause chemistry and balance issues throughout the entire squad.

I still would rather McDonald back, because i think May and Lever looked a lot more concerned when he didn't drift back. Obviously, it didn't help our midfield got smashed, Gawn was rattled and North couldn't miss a kick even if they tried. We genuinely can't afford Petty having another first half like he did against Hawthorn against any side not named Hawthorn, North Melbourne and possibly the Pies.

What i want: McDonald back Weid IN

What i think happens: Petty IN

Petty hasn't demonstrated, to this point, that he is a solid defender at this level from what i have witnessed. Maybe in the VFL sure.  He is much better suited as forward IMV and we already have too many tall forwards.

Has to be Tmac back with either of Weid or Mitch Brown coming in for mine.  At this point i think Brown ...just and i mean by a bees you know what...due to his marginally better defensive / pressure work and ground ball gets / uncontested (work rate?) possessions once the ball hits the ground.  Weid appearing to have the edge in contested marking in general and marking inside 50.  Funnily enough Mitch has the edge at marking on a lead.  Would have though the Weid had him covered here.

However, having said that i would be happy to see both of them given a block of matches each over the next few months and see who brings home the bacon.  The winner then takes the spoils for the remainder for the season!  Yes i know it doesn't work like that in most cases but we are in a very good position at this point.

https://www.afl.com.au/stats/stats-pro#/Compare?playerIds=CD_I290622,CD_I993806&comparisonTab=h2h

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

On 5/2/2021 at 6:46 PM, mfcrox said:

Yes! 

People have short memories.  TMac was a very very solid 1st defender only 4yrs ago.  He would be taking on a 3rd forward in our current team. He should dominate... strengthening up an already outstanding defence

Short memories indeed. My recall is that for all his attributes TMac was good for two turnover goals against us when playing back.

Petty has trained for this role abd one in for one out means minimal disruption to the team system.

Jones incidentally should be another omission. His decision making slowed numerous attacks in Tassie. And killed several others.

It's an honest question, are people that want Tom Mcdonald to go back young supporters that weren't around when he was a turnover/clanger king from 2011-2016? 

If not, I think people have forgotten that Tom Mcdonald turns to mush when he goes to the backline. His decision making and skill execution fails under pressure so its a HELL NO from me. I don't forget how horrific his decision making is in the backline. 

His best traits are his set shot goal kicking so he needs to stay forward. So it's 2 of Weideman, Brown or Mcdonald but not 3 of them and not involving Tom Mcdonald moving back. 

No

Petty is next in line. Trained in the role so will know the system. He'll have Lever and May to help him settle. Now is his time. I reckon he'll be ok

TMac has been great up forward so leave him there. Weid only plays if Fritta's suspension is upheld. 

10 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

It's an honest question, are people that want Tom Mcdonald to go back young supporters that weren't around when he was a turnover/clanger king from 2011-2016

If not, I think people have forgotten that Tom Mcdonald turns to mush when he goes to the backline. His decision making and skill execution fails under pressure so its a HELL NO from me. I don't forget how horrific his decision making is in the backline. 

His best traits are his set shot goal kicking so he needs to stay forward. So it's 2 of Weideman, Brown or Mcdonald but not 3 of them and not involving Tom Mcdonald moving back. 

For sure but that was pre-Choco.  This is the post-Choco era.  He'll be fine!

31 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

It's an honest question, are people that want Tom Mcdonald to go back young supporters that weren't around when he was a turnover/clanger king from 2011-2016? 

Five years of development since then have surely improved his game.
I never thought he's be a 50 goal a year forward in 2016 either. 

He's just a good football player, whether that be back or forward. We need him back more than we need him forward right now, and it's not a decision we have to stick with forever; we should at least see it through until proven otherwise because to put it simply I trust Tom McDonald in a Melbourne jumper way more than I trust Harrison Petty in a Melbourne jumper at this stage.

• Thanks 1

Petty has obviously been training for it all year, and the club has high wraps for him. I think Petty will be given the chance first up for that reason, but I would also be having a think about what has made our defence so solid this year; marking rather than spoiling. Across the board we’ve seen more marks from May, Lever, and Tommo. TMac is a similar body size to Tommo and we know he can take marks. 

I have this feeling the switch will happen at some point this year and we’ll see TMac as the 2nd tall. His ability to outlast his opponents could be a real asset down there, and if there are people worrying about his disposal firstly he’s developed since his the last time he was a back man and secondly it’s not like Tommo is an incredible kick either. Seems more like for like to me. 

Edited by Pates

On 5/2/2021 at 10:49 PM, Pickett2Jackson said:

from afl.com

5. It's time for T-Mac to head back

With Adam Tomlinson facing an extended stint on the sidelines, swingman Tom McDonald must return to defence to help the Demons' team balance. McDonald showed his capabilities down back as he made five intercepts when switched to defence during the second half against the Kangaroos and he'll likely need to continue in this role to allow defensive linchpins Steven May and Jake Lever play their natural games. His shift to defence will also allow coach Simon Goodwin to bring Sam Weideman back in after another strong VFL performance. - Jonathan Healy

2 hours ago, Pates said:

Petty has obviously been training for it all year, and the club has high wraps for him. I think Petty will be given the chance first up for that reason, but I would also be having a think about what has made our defence so solid this year; marking rather than spoiling. Across the board we’ve seen more marks from May, Lever, and Tommo. TMac is a similar body size to Tommo and we know he can take marks. 

I have this feeling the switch will happen at some point this year and we’ll see TMac as the 2nd tall. His ability to outlast his opponents could be a real asset down there, and if there are people worrying about his disposal firstly he’s developed since his the last time he was a back man and secondly it’s not like Tommo is an incredible kick either. Seems more like for like to me. 

Weather forecast for Saturday night is not good. I would  hate to see Brown and  Weideman  trying to deal with wet slippery conditions. Tom McD is surprisingly ok if it is slippery . So I would leave him in attack and give Petty another shot in defence  . Size wise he meets the requirement of a replacement for Tomlinson , and  I suspect  that with a couple of games he will gain confidence and become a valuable player