Jump to content

  • Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     

  • Podcast LIVE Tonight @ 8:30pm     


Recommended Posts

On 5/2/2021 at 4:44 PM, MurDoc516 said:

This comes down to attribute thing. Tomlinson was tall, strong and deceptively quick over 10 yards allowing him to do really well on the bigger lockdown forwards.

What we saw from Petty, if you forgive his mistakes and say it was rust/inexperience, was a guy who didn't want to get caught on a lead and would rather wrestle.

McDonald (vs little competition) today showed he has the attributes to cover what Tomlinson brought.

Now the next point is, bringing Petty in is like for like. Sending McDonald back opens up the door for Weid and keeps him happy. Brown looked a tad slow and immobile today, but it was his first AFL level game in a while and we butchered nearly every pass too him. Weid, is very similar to what we saw from Brown today. Having two of the same player might cause chemistry and balance issues throughout the entire squad.

I still would rather McDonald back, because i think May and Lever looked a lot more concerned when he didn't drift back. Obviously, it didn't help our midfield got smashed, Gawn was rattled and North couldn't miss a kick even if they tried. We genuinely can't afford Petty having another first half like he did against Hawthorn against any side not named Hawthorn, North Melbourne and possibly the Pies.

What i want: McDonald back Weid IN

What i think happens: Petty IN

You have not thought this through!

Looking for a quick fix and not looking at the long term. Petty deserves his chance and was getting his confidence vs Hawks in the second half.

Tommy was great on Sat but fir a better team balance we need Tmac up forward.

Where this leaves Sam I am not sure but I am convinced the above is the first solution for us to try. 
 

OurTeam  balance is crucial and Tommy does so much more than either Sam  or BBB Fir the other forwards and can muscle his way to a mark or kick. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Did he? This is what he said: "Harrison Petty played a few weeks ago and is ready to play some good AFL footy so that is exciting for us that he will get an opportunity and Tom McDonald, as

I don't dislike the idea of McDonald going down back and Weideman coming into the side as a forward. The problem with that is that Weideman and Brown play pretty similarly, that being close to goal wh

This comes down to attribute thing. Tomlinson was tall, strong and deceptively quick over 10 yards allowing him to do really well on the bigger lockdown forwards. What we saw from Petty, if you f

 
4 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

At this point i think Brown ...just and i mean by a bees you know what...due to his marginally better defensive / pressure work and ground ball gets / uncontested (work rate?) possessions once the ball hits the ground.

Brown & Brown key forwards;  the speculative man's choice. These guys could also be handy at next week's AFL tribunal.

 

Brown & Brown, LLP (brownandbrownmo) - Profile | Pinterest

 

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

It might be best to maintain our structure with a simple swap for Petty. Same applies with Viney remaining unavailable, meaning Sparrow should come in for Baker. No other changes are likely this week…

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

2015: Tomald on track for AA until destroyed by Cloke. Noted for closing speed and spoiling. 

2016: Roos gives Tomald licence as our primary distributor off half-back. Widespread hair-loss. 

2017: Half-back clangers climb and climb until Tomald is swung forward and shows some promise. 

2018: Premiere season - as a forward. Strong straight-line lead and mark. Can't miss. 50+ goals for the season. 

2019/2020 - complete write-offs. Can't get near it, looks like his body is shot beyond repair. 

2021: Somewhat restored agility and contested marking, the latter mostly in space up the wing.  

What now? Tommy has always wanted to be better than what he is. He seeks impact from his possessions, and as such is slow to move it on and frequently turns it over. Agility is still lacking. Can he be a lock-down defender with a do-nothing-else mandate? 

Man a space/body - spoil/intercept - give the ball to Salem or Hunt? We always talk about players playing within their limits. Restrained Viney this year for me had been a revelation and major component. Is TMac capable of the same? 

  • Like 2
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Skuit said:

2015: Tomald on track for AA until destroyed by Cloke. Noted for closing speed and spoiling. 

2016: Roos gives Tomald licence as our primary distributor off half-back. Widespread hair-loss. 

2017: Half-back clangers climb and climb until Tomald is swung forward and shows some promise. 

2018: Premiere season - as a forward. Strong straight-line lead and mark. Can't miss. 50+ goals for the season. 

2019/2020 - complete write-offs. Can't get near it, looks like his body is shot beyond repair. 

2021: Somewhat restored agility and contested marking, the latter mostly in space up the wing.  

What now? Tommy has always wanted to be better than what he is. He seeks impact from his possessions, and as such is slow to move it on and frequently turns it over. Agility is still lacking. Can he be a lock-down defender with a do-nothing-else mandate? 

Man a space/body - spoil/intercept - give the ball to Salem or Hunt? We always talk about players playing within their limits. Restrained Viney this year for me had been a revelation and major component. Is TMac capable of the same? 

Not only that, but do we get the most benefit out of him and our other players if he is.

I think ….
Tom McDonald the lockdown defender and Wiedeman/Brown up forward is better than
Harrison Petty the lockdown defender and any 1 or 2 (please god not 3) of Brown/McDonald/Wiedeman up forward

Link to post
Share on other sites

After last night, Tommy mcd stays forward.  Was clearly our best forward and 4 straight was a good result.
 

 Interesting interview post match.  Clearly he recognized he was a little overweight and needed more short metre speed and agility.  Worked on “Zig zag running over 20 metres at speed”.  Turning and burst speed required. This has given him a new edge. Aerobically he was all fine.  
 

I also think one grab marking has improved. He fumbled a lot last year and I thought his eyes needed checking. Last night his ball handling in the wet was excellent.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, spirit of norm smith said:

After last night, Tommy mcd stays forward.  Was clearly our best forward and 4 straight was a good result.
 

 Interesting interview post match.  Clearly he recognized he was a little overweight and needed more short metre speed and agility.  Worked on “Zig zag running over 20 metres at speed”.  Turning and burst speed required. This has given him a new edge. Aerobically he was all fine.  
 

I also think one grab marking has improved. He fumbled a lot last year and I thought his eyes needed checking. Last night his ball handling in the wet was excellent.  

If you followed TMac on Instagram last year his work over Summer was inspirational. 
i am not at all suprised he has turned his career around and is marking the ball like a CLAMP!!

Thought he may have to go back in defence last night and help out. 
Glad i was wrong. He is a serious forward now 

The Weid’s job just got harder

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

No way. No way.

I thought it was a great idea after Tomlinson went down so Sw could play

I forgot that Tom up fwd is just a gun. Great at pack marks and the most accurate kick from any angle.

Has won six games for us with his stellar efforts.

It is Tom at his best snd we were lucky to not lose him as well as Sw being injured so as to play him.

He is back better than ever and if this form continues will lead the way to our flag success.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, leave it to deever said:

No way. No way.

I thought it was a great idea after Tomlinson went down so Sw could play

I forgot that Tom up fwd is just a gun. Great at pack marks and the most accurate kick from any angle.

Has won six games for us with his stellar efforts.

It is Tom at his best snd we were lucky to not lose him as well as Sw being injured so as to play him.

He is back better than ever and if this form continues will lead the way to our flag success.

 

Under rare circumstances like when we need to cover a key defender injury, he’s not getting the ball and others are kicking goals like what happened last week it’s appropriate. He got back into touch and performed very well covering for Tomlinson. He can be a seriously good defender but his current upside is as a forward. It’s great we are blessed with his flexibility.

Edited by John Crow Batty
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2021 at 4:19 PM, Josh said:

With the utmost respect to any player that will be mentioned in this thread Tomlinson's role was a basic one. Just lock down the the opposition's best forward. Petty gts first crack, if not McDonald... He'll Saw can play role... Just let Lever and May zone off each other

Hhhmmmm basic yet so difficult to do well…

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/4/2021 at 9:49 PM, 58er said:

You have not thought this through!

Looking for a quick fix and not looking at the long term. Petty deserves his chance and was getting his confidence vs Hawks in the second half.

Tommy was great on Sat but fir a better team balance we need Tmac up forward.

Where this leaves Sam I am not sure but I am convinced the above is the first solution for us to try. 
 

OurTeam  balance is crucial and Tommy does so much more than either Sam  or BBB Fir the other forwards and can muscle his way to a mark or kick. 

Stay with Petty

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Dr.D said:

people that even suggested mcdonald go back need to think twice before posting. it was a mind boggling idea. 

Not sure who said it, but they suggested Tom go back....to Casey regardless of performance against North to get Weid in. 

He’s in close to career best form, and his resurgence is an absolute credit to his character. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, John Crow Batty said:

Under rare circumstances like when we need to cover a key defender injury, he’s not getting the ball and others are kicking goals like what happened last week it’s appropriate. He got back into touch and performed very well covering for Tomlinson. He can be a seriously good defender but his current upside is as a forward. It’s great we are blessed with his flexibility.

I really reckon hes a confidence player.

Last night he was in the action early and dominated all night.

Last week he was very quiet but when moved back really go involved so what you say has merit.

Hes been a big difference.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I remember an interview with Tmac a few years ago when he had been moved forward and was doing well, about how he was liking it up forward. He said he was relishing in it.Who wouldn't after the years spent down back in a side that was being beat regularly.Run off your feet defending would not be a good position to be playing in week after week in a mediocre team under avalanche.

Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Dr.D said:

people that even suggested mcdonald go back need to think twice before posting. it was a mind boggling idea. 

We are indeed fortunate to have someone so strong, and adaptable, with quality defence experience, who was able to cover after last week’s injury, but who can also slot straight back in as a dominant forward. 
So glad he wasn’t traded out last off season.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Anyone have a link to the interview Tom did pre game?  I was at the game so didn't see it.  I spent mothers day evening enjoying the replay & the commentators made reference to it a few times.  Can't seem to find a link to it???  Thanks in advance & enjoy this foreign ride all!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Love everything about Tmac. 

The only thing I would try and get out of his game is when he tries to break through a tackler and attempts to take the ball over the tackers arms with one hand (I'm sure others have seen/posted it in here before) and often gets caught HTB. 

Needs to either get both hands up or try bust through the tackler. I'm probably being too critical but I see it often and only rarely does it come off. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Match Previews, Reports & Articles

    DUCKING A PLUCKING by George On The Outer

    With seven consecutive wins for 2021 behind it, and not having played well in its previous game,  Melbourne was ripe for the picking (or plucking) by the Sydney Swans. However, in the end, it was the Ducks who found themselves plucked by a Demons side that continues its relentless successful roll for the Season. Or did the Demons narrowly duck a plucking themselves? Sydney brought its usual game style to the M.C.G.  Get in front and then shut down the game, scrap and refuse to mov

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    THE MERRY, MERRY MONTH OF MAY by The Oracle

    The month of May was a little more than halfway into its second day when the news came. Melbourne was on top of the AFL table for the first time since Round 3, 2005. As usual with the Demons, there was no time for celebration. They had just lost tough nut Jack Viney with yet another soft spot in his foot, Adam Tomlinson’s year was in ruins with what was subsequently confirmed as an ACL and Bayley Fritsch’s careless but unintentional fend off on North’s Tom Powell was about to see him charge

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    BLUNDSTONE BOOTED by George on the Outer

    The tough Aussie Blundstone boot is made for true blue collar workers, and so it was at this aptly named stadium in Hobart, that the Demons were made to work their hardest for their seventh consecutive win of the season. From the outset, North Melbourne put scoreboard pressure on Melbourne with two majors at an early stage in the first quarter. The Demons fought back and temporarily had the lead but the Kangaroos responded to lead by five points at quarter time. This was not what the public

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    UNTROUBLED by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons were untroubled for the third week in a row as they went on a four quarter romp at Marvel Stadium to record a 107 point win over an undermanned bottom-of-the-ladder North Melbourne VFL. The scoring riot began about ten minutes into the game when Sam Weideman notched the first of four goals that could easily have been six or seven but for some uncharacteristic misses from close in. The Demon forward, spurned so far by the club’s AFL selectors, demonstrated a strong work rate

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    I’LL GIVE THEE A WIND by Whispering Jack

    The football world was reminded this week about the last time Melbourne opened a season with six wins or more in a row. That was in 1965 when Sir Robert Gordon Menzies was Prime Minister of Australia and the country was fighting a war in faraway Vietnam. It was before Jack Viney’s father, Todd, was born — a time when the game was played almost exclusively on Saturdays and when Demon fans used to wake up in the morning mostly safe in the knowledge that there was not even the remotest possibility

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    MAKING HISTORY by KC from Casey

    This was a weekend of history with Anzac Day commemorations throughout the community including the sporting world including the VFL. For the Casey Demons, which originated from the Springvale Football Club founded in 1903, it was a double celebration as Saturday’s game was a celebration of the club’s 750th VFA/VFL match since admission to the competition in 1982. Springvale became the Casey Scorpions in 2005 when the club moved to Casey Fields and since 2017 has been known as the Casey Demo

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    THE TWO ELEPHANTS NOT IN THE ROOM by WJ

    After another slow start when they conceded 2.3.15 to nothing in a handball-happy opening 15 minutes, the unflappable Demons delivered a warning sign of major proportions to the rest of the competition with their 34-point win over the reigning premiers in their Anzac Eve contest. And what made things even more ominous is that they did it without two elephants in the room - key forwards Ben Brown and Sam Weideman who have been amassing goals at VFL level while coming back from injuries that

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    A TALE OF TWO HEROES by Whispering Jack

    On Saturday night at the ANZAC Day Eve game between Melbourne and Richmond, we will give recognition to the achievements of two great Demons who made significant contributions to the Melbourne Football Club over substantially different time spans. The first is the late Frank V “Checker” Hughes who was born on 26 February 1894 and began his career as a Richmond player in 1915. Shortly after, Hughes was called on to serve his country when he went to war during WW1. He returned from battle and

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Special Features

    TURNING POINT by The Oracle

    It wasn’t that long ago when Melbourne held sway in its Anzac Eve matches against Richmond. The early versions of the blockbuster saw the Demons home by 32 points in 2015 and 33 in 2016. When the turning point came it was dramatic and sudden. The Demons might have been on an upward curve in 2017 under new coach Simon Goodwin but so were the Tigers who had finished a disappointing 13th in 2016. When the teams met in Round 5 under lights in front of a crowd of 85,657 — the highest ever betwee

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews

    STARTING OVER by KC from Casey

    The Casey Demons made a successful return to the playing field with a 51 point away from home victory over the Box Hill Hawks. The visitors were starting over after a hiatus of almost 20 months and fielded a strong team of 14 AFL listed players against an undermanned opponent. And they showed from the first bounce that they were out to make up for lost time with an aggressive opening that saw them off to 21 point lead at the first break with thanks to a dominant midfield and two key forward

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Casey Articles

    NUTCRACKER by George on the Outer

    Q: How to crack a tough nut? A: Use a bigger hammer! It took Melbourne until the last quarter to crack the Hawthorn nut. These days, the Hawks under Alastair Clarkson simply don’t have the talent that served them so well in years gone, and they have to rely on not losing rather than trying to win.   The result is that the match became a slog for three quarters, as Hawthorn clogged the game, flooded heavily and simply stopped the Melbourne run.  Even in the first quarter the signs

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Reports

    CANCEL CULTURE by Whispering Jack

    I’m not one who likes mixing politics with sport but it should be noted there have been some unusual trends in the world of sport lately. In the US, Major League Baseball announced that it’s moving the 2021 All-Star Game and the 2021 MLB Draft out of Georgia, in response to the state’s new voting law. Over here, there’s a move to force Carlton to change its club song because the original song on which it was based (written in the late 1800s) has “racist connotations”. The Blues maintain the curr

    Demonland
    Demonland |
    Match Previews


×
×
  • Create New...