VFL to Merge with NSW & QLD State League

Demonland

This is a great move. An AFL seconds comp is very important for development of juniors, form of reserve players and retention of "second tier" players who can plug spots.

I don't understand why all three of "stand alone", "allign" or "spread across teams" are an option. With 10 Vic and 4 interstate teams, this should be a 14 team competition, with each AFL team being able to either field a stand alone (i.e. Carlton) or a joint team (i.e. Casey Demons). 

All other existing clubs should also play in their respective VFL or NSWFL style comps, and any allignment clubs should be able to field a "seconds" in their local comp too. So Casey "reserves" can play in the existing VFL, providing top up to the Eastern League where needed.

This is an opportunity to change the list sizes in a good way: smaller AFL lists (say 33 players) but longer supplementary lists that can hold development players and potential top ups, who play in the seconds comp, but can be "upgraded" throughout the year, either based on long term injuries (any time anyone is injured for say 4+ weeks) or on a form up/down thing (i.e. a maximum number of changes can be made over the season, but they can be made at any time).

How the heck would this work? Where's the money? Some of these clubs have tyrefire facilities and operate in the bright red. 

Sounds like a bunch of Hollywood hogwash, but there's some reasonable sources here I guess.

Edit: After studying the article a bit more I can see how absorbing the NEAFL may work. Think i'd prefer the reserves path but not sure. Would like more info.

Edited by layzie

2 hours ago, deanox said:

This is an opportunity to change the list sizes in a good way: smaller AFL lists (say 33 players) but longer supplementary lists that can hold development players and potential top ups, who play in the seconds comp, but can be "upgraded" throughout the year, either based on long term injuries (any time anyone is injured for say 4+ weeks) or on a form up/down thing (i.e. a maximum number of changes can be made over the season, but they can be made at any time).

You are very close I suspect

A two tiered system to protect the big earners....

The hopefuls will play for less than the almost nothing they get now.

Darwinism at its simplest.

Nothing wrong with that but I'm not sure now is the best time given the AFL is perhaps squeezing every lemon it can find including members.

Does it owe a duty to the lesser leagues....

2 hours ago, rjay said:

I guess it's the end of the traditional VFA clubs that are left.

Port & Willie either pack up or do a Fitzroy and move on to another comp.

I think that’s why this should actually be a breakaway competition with 14 clubs no more no less, I don’t get this idea of spreading out across multiple clubs, this could actually be an opportunity for as close to a reserves competition as we can get. 

Sucks but the clubs that don’t get an alignment should just exist in the VFL or perhaps they look at merging the the VFA with the remaining VFL clubs. 

With 14 teams surely they could play each other twice so they can remove the frustrating scenario of a team that has a bye in the AFL doesn’t have a bye in the reserves comp. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drysdale demon said:

Cannot see Port Mellbourne Or Williamstown not being part of it and neither will just be suburban football clubs playing in local comps.

I can't see how or why they would be a part of it.

Port have been struggling financially for a while now.

It just makes no sense for them to be a part of this now.

Interested to understand what happens to the rest of the clubs in the NEAFL, do they go back to the QFL and NSWFL, if that is the case the Northern state sides are better off just aligning themselves with clubs in these comps or maintaining sides in these.  

Can't understand this in a time the AFL cost cutting why they would look at increasing costs to a second tier comp for travel.

The other thing they skimmed over is the Academies, these are old fashion zones.  The Western Bulldogs get access to a top 3 rated pick being compared to Buddy Franklin, they have not developed this kid, they just signed him to their NGA as he is a part of their zone.  Many other clubs have benefited the same and will.  Gold Coast has their Queensland Zone and I think Darwin as well, they get access to every kid in their Queensland zone and the Aboriginal kids in Darwin.

I like moving 18's to 19's it gives kids another year if they miss out on the first draft to develop and stay in the system, you will find in a couple of years a lot of kids will be drafted as 19 year olds instead of 18 year olds, clubs will let players develop another year.  Top end talent won't change but your late 2nd picks and there after you will find will become the older kids

Edited by drdrake
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, deebug said:

Well after hearing we will be in forced lock down for another 12 monthes, i'm not surprised.?

I love how people struggle with basic comprehension so make up whatever insane theory they want. 
Nobody, and I mean nobody has ever once come out and said we will be in forced lockdown for another 12 months. We will have to operate under certain Covid safe guidelines such as social distancing, probably mask wearing and businesses will have to follow a Covid safe set of instructions to protect staff and customers for the next 12 months, or until a vaccine is widely administered. That is NOT the same as being in lockdown. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Diamond_Jim said:

You are very close I suspect

A two tiered system to protect the big earners....

The hopefuls will play for less than the almost nothing they get now.

Darwinism at its simplest.

Nothing wrong with that but I'm not sure now is the best time given the AFL is perhaps squeezing every lemon it can find including members.

Does it owe a duty to the lesser leagues....

I was thinking of it being a good way to get players 33-50 on a list and paid, rather than just to the game. 

I think at the moment a lot of the tier 2 footballers are lost to the game. They aren't in the best 25, and they aren't in the developing 12 kids, so they are cut.

This means the reserves comp is full of developing kids not the second best 22s. If we can find a way to retain the second tier players in a single comp instead of spreading them over 50 clubs in 4 leagues, the elite kids will have a higher standard to develop in, injury replacements will come from a more concentrated pool of quality players, and late bloomers have an opportunity. 

The best way to do this is really big or really small lists. Hybrid lists (small list plus a large, interchangeable supplementary list) is a good compromise. 

• Like 1

The AFL have been on a path to destroy the VFL for two decades and they have finally achieved it. Congratulations to Gil and his lackeys.
They are well on the way to destroying the local women's comp as well.
I assume the endgame here is no reserves competition at all, and this becomes a driver to reduce list sizes. Perhaps we end up with AFL clubs farming players out to local clubs and topping up with injury replacements when required.

Great for the AFL finances, not so great for player development and the standard of the competition.

1 hour ago, rjay said:

I can't see how or why they would be a part of it.

Port have been struggling financially for a while now.

It just makes no sense for them to be a part of this now.

The game isn't over yet. 

North Melbourne for one have given up on a stand-alone side.  This opens the door for Port etc...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/north-melbourne-s-vfl-program-abandoned-after-just-two-seasons-20200730-p55h09.html

42 minutes ago, drdrake said:

Interested to understand what happens to the rest of the clubs in the NEAFL, do they go back to the QFL and NSWFL, if that is the case the Northern state sides are better off just aligning themselves with clubs in these comps or maintaining sides in these.  

Can't understand this in a time the AFL cost cutting why they would look at increasing costs to a second tier comp for travel.

The other thing they skimmed over is the Academies, these are old fashion zones.  The Western Bulldogs get access to a top 3 rated pick being compared to Buddy Franklin, they have not developed this kid, they just signed him to their NGA as he is a part of their zone.  Many other clubs have benefited the same and will.  Gold Coast has their Queensland Zone and I think Darwin as well, they get access to every kid in their Queensland zone and the Aboriginal kids in Darwin.

I like moving 18's to 19's it gives kids another year if they miss out on the first draft to develop and stay in the system, you will find in a couple of years a lot of kids will be drafted as 19 year olds instead of 18 year olds, clubs will let players develop another year.  Top end talent won't change but your late 2nd picks and there after you will find will become the older kids

i presume that the clubs will go back to their local leagues which will be revamped  and only the reserves sides of the 4 interstate eastern seaboard teams will be invited .A bit hard on  Qld  clubs of  Aspley Southport  and Redlands who have worked hard to be a success in Neafl against afl clubs .Aspley in particular  won a premiership and lost another by a point to Northern Thunder (who are definitely out )Southport were also  premiers and played in this years grand final.,Seems a poor reward for their efforts in advancing the code and providing competition for the afl reserves sides .

18 minutes ago, george_on_the_outer said:

The game isn't over yet. 

North Melbourne for one have given up on a stand-alone side.  This opens the door for Port etc...

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/north-melbourne-s-vfl-program-abandoned-after-just-two-seasons-20200730-p55h09.html

Port are fiercely independent so I see them as the last to merge.

The problem with being aligned is that you can have as much agreement re retention of name, jumpers grounds etc but at the end of the day the AFL team will decide strategy, team selection and player usage. The problems of not having absolute control were obvious when we were aligned with Sandringham.

There is also the issue of ground rationalisation for those clubs such as North, Bulldogs etc  that have their own playing arena capable of supporting small crowds. They will not wish to contribute financially to the upkeep of the former VFA  grounds such as Coburg, Port Williamstown etc

It'll be a tough decision for the non aligned clubs and I don't think the way Carlton ditched the Northern Blues will be forgotten easily.

Edited by Diamond_Jim

I don't think we'd drop Casey but if we did, any chance of Port Melbourne being the famous inner city (or as close to as we're going to get) training venue? You'd have to get rid of the cricket club, but otherwise good location, pretty much straight on the 109 tram from the MCG.

Clubs can't make any decision until they know what there list size will look like.  I'm sure they have been told informally but they need to announce this.  My pick is around 36-38 players that will include rookies, but clubs will still be able to have 1-2 Category B players.   We currently sit at 45 including our Category B players I think that is just 1 at the moment, so we could be looking at 6-8 players less next year.

At those list numbers makes it hard to field a VFL side 

17 hours ago, A F said:

That's not the plan. They just want the safety net of being able to lock down an additional two weeks. Once you force the community transmission to zero, hopefully in 2-3 weeks time, you then look for two weeks of no community transmission and then you can open things back up to stage 3, otherwise the whole thing is for nought.

I get that it's frustrating, I'm trying to operate a business too, but for the sake of my parents, their friends and other vulnerable people over 70 or otherwise, it's a sacrifice worth making. Mind you, I doubt it'll pass parliament. 

I hope your parents and their friends are going to be safe and not catch this terrible virus.

I to have family members and friends in their 60s to 80s and i hope they are also going to be ok?

I can't imagine the stress you are dealing with at this time, with your parents and owning a business during all this covid 19 stuff?

I just feel the Andrews government has made such a mess in regards to covid 19, and let us all down,

I just hope there is going to be an end to this virus soon?

With your business, not sure if at all this is possible, for both yourself and other Demonland's who own a business, but maybe we could help you guys out with some sales?

i struggle to see where the cost savings come from

not only will they be flying/accomodating hundreds of players each week but this will need to include players not even on a club's primary list. for 2 complete teams will need in excess of 50 players

just nowhere near enough detail to really evaluate

Edited by daisycutter

5 hours ago, kallangurdemon said:

i presume that the clubs will go back to their local leagues which will be revamped  and only the reserves sides of the 4 interstate eastern seaboard teams will be invited .A bit hard on  Qld  clubs of  Aspley Southport  and Redlands who have worked hard to be a success in Neafl against afl clubs .Aspley in particular  won a premiership and lost another by a point to Northern Thunder (who are definitely out )Southport were also  premiers and played in this years grand final.,Seems a poor reward for their efforts in advancing the code and providing competition for the afl reserves sides .

Al ot of good players have come out of Aspley.  They have a fantastic development structure and a great team of coaches. Current AFL listed players include Allir Allir, Harris Andrews, Eric Hipwood, Mabior Chol, and our own Oskar Baker and the Wagner brothers.