Lucifer's Hero

PREGAME: Rd 07 vs Hawthorn

Emotional responses calling for the sacking of players does not improve our chances. 

More likely, it achieves the opposite. 

The club needs to make sensible and rational decisions that give us the best chance of winning. At the moment, injuries to those sidelined and those still playing make team selection difficult. Our playing resources are stretched thin.

So with limited resources, selectors need to consider team balance, try to blend experience with youth, include height and run etc. At the moment, it is a patch up job.

There is simply no point in dropping players (particularly those with experience and proven track records) in order to make a statement. They have dropped Weideman, you simply can't go dropping a host of other players.

We want to see a united club standing together in difficult times, not emotional responses aimed at showing that the club is doing something. There is absolutely no point getting rid of players if there are not better replacements. 

• Like 7

Keilty still listed as Emg on MFC website and twitter but nothing surprising there, hardly great on the breaking news

anyone have a source?

would be pumped for Dec to have a chance

Chalk Tim Smith into the injury prone/vandenberg/Maynard category.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bring-Back-Powell said:

No. And the AFL integrity unit will be investigating every fan that boos Scully.

I'm wondering if his old man has a scouting contract with Hawthorn, pehaps the AFL can go investigate that.

In the mean time may the $cully BOOOOOO's be loud and numerous tomorrow.

• Like 1

Congratulations Declan Keilty and @Drunkn167! Hope you kick a couple of bags!

• Like 6

Just now, Drunkn167 said:

GENTS!!!!!

I've known about this since yesterday but have had to keep quiet until the official release. 

Over 12 years of blood, sweat and tears has gone into this day. Dec has worked his [censored] off and finally gets his chance, debuting at the glorious MCG. 

I am lost for words. Lets hope he kicks a few goals.

Carn Dec and Carn the Dee's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats to Dec, you and the family.

Thankfully you don't have to trek out to Casey for once.

Who will give us the 2s report this week?

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Drunkn167 said:

GENTS!!!!!

I've known about this since yesterday but have had to keep quiet until the official release. 

Over 12 years of blood, sweat and tears has gone into this day. Dec has worked his [censored] off and finally gets his chance, debuting at the glorious MCG. 

Congrats and well deserved. Hopefully can cement a spot in the 22.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Drunkn167 said:

GENTS!!!!!

Really pleased for him. He has earned this chance. A great example of being rewarded for persistence and not letting your head drop. Hope he has a great game and many more.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Drunkn167 said:

GENTS!!!!!

Congrats mate, all the best to Dec, yourself and the family.

• Like 1

Declan you deserve this chance and the Family can't wait enough to see you play against the Hawks tomorrow. Your parents will be nervous and mostly proud of you as well especially your Mum. Good luck and hope you and the boys do well. Enjoy the day you earned it.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Demonland said:

Chalk Tim Smith into the injury prone/vandenberg/Maynard category.

Pppffftttttt 

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Drunkn167 said:

GENTS!!!!!

Awesome news.   Lets hope he kicks 5... for our sake and his!

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Drunkn167 said:

GENTS!!!!!

Wasn’t a surprise that you went quiet Drnkn. Congrats to Dec and the family, hope he enjoys himself.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, La Dee-vina Comedia said:

Any theories as to why Tim Smith's back injury and Keilty's promotion were not announced until today? 

The FD thinks they will fool Hawthorn into picking the wrong match up players? I can only imagine how worried the Hawks will be over the next 24 hours.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Drunkn167 said:

GENTS!!!!!

Brilliant  news. Thoroughly deserves his shot at it. And yes... let’s hope he bags a few, creates a good contest and helps us win the game! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Drunkn167 said:

GENTS!!!!!

He was making a valiant attempt to keep the lid on at training @Drunkn167 😀😁😂😃 I only knew at 10.30 this morning   jealous😀😁😂 

Edited by Satyriconhome
  • Like 1

Congrats @Drunkn167 and family.

I actually read today that he had already played 64 VFL games. Which to me is just the perfect set of experience you can have coming into an AFL game. Clarkson has been very big on playings bidding their time for 2 to 3 years straight in the VFL before fully earning your opportunity. 

Well done Declan.

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Rusty Nails said:

No thanks DV.  Leave them to learn their craft at the lower levels unless they're doing something like an Alan Jakovich pls.  Seen enough insiped performances from youngsters making their debut too early at the MFC or being gifted too many successive games with little return/output to justify their continued  inclusion.  Watts the classic one that comes to mind and more recently the Weid / Omac.  Give them an occasional taste to show them the level that's needed when the teams flying then straight  back to Casey to learn and improve once more (unless they're killing it)? Sure. 

The great clubs like the Dawks usually leave their juniors for a good year or two before deciding

Normally I'd agree  'RN',  if we were a power side like the Hawks were back in the 80's.   When they played an average of 100 reserve grade games, most often.

But we aren't atmo.   Now let me qualify what I am saying.

I agree with How Goody has gone about things with Weide,.  over the past few seasons...  were he would play him for 2 or 3 games in the seniors,  then send him back.

This is close to the method I am hoping to see with these kids now...  and only now,  the next month,  as we are so low on numbers,  because of injuries.

Bringing the kids in,  gives them a taste for it...  and also stirs the excitement of the others in the reserves.  They can see the opportunities are real,  and alive.   In about 4 weeks time,  we will have maybe half a dozen senior players returning.

The other thing it does,  is it gives us the opportunity to drop some senior players,  who are not performing...  or out off kilter,  in one way OR another.  A friendly shot over their bow.

Just to give them a firm little shake up.   To get therm out of any lethargy.

Really excited to see Dec take his chance. I think he is a great prospect. 

• Like 1

Well done and good luck tomorrow Keilty.

All the best @Drunkn167, will you be in the rooms when his jumper is presented to him?

Fun fact: Last time we beat Hawks in a H&A game we had a first gamer in Weid. 

• Like 6

Good luck to Declan Keilty, but Tim Smith must be the most fragile footballer on the footballer. The sooner he is off the list the better.