Match Preview and Team Selection - Round 23

Demonland

On 8/21/2018 at 10:41 PM, titan_uranus said:

It feels like we've barely played GWS of late.

We played them in Round 1 2016, then once last year, and now Round 23 this year.

So that's once in nearly three full seasons.

In the same period (i.e. from Round 2 2016 until now) GWS has played Sydney seven times.

Not particularly relevant/important, but just another of those AFL fixturing quirks.

Is quirk the same as corruption?

1 hour ago, picket fence said:

Well would prefer JKH Over Spargo at this stage but …??

Spargo has (may have said it before) had a stellar debut season but looked stuffed v SS and still underdone v WCE.

Much as it may seem unfair in him, personally I would run JKH this week in his stead.  

The pre finals bye (thanks Mr Gillon Knee Jerk) May just freshen him up. 

1 hour ago, Ethan Tremblay said:

Why would you bring Bugg in when we just beat West Coast in Perth with Spargo playing?  Don’t mess with a team that is well balanced. 

A balanced and succesful winning team doesn’t necessarily preclude changes IF one may have underperformed or another better player is ready to return, though I share your general sentiment 

22 hours ago, McQueen said:

Travelling over for the game for another hit after last weeks awesome game but need some advice on seating please.

I’m assuming my Interstate membership will get me into GA on level 1, 3 and 4 according to the MFC site FAQ’s.

Where is the best section and how early would I need to line up to get it.

Alternatively, I’m happy to upgrade to a premium seat.

TIA

8 hours ago, Fifty-5 said:

You can get GA entry into level 2A in the Southern Stand at the Punt Road End.  Enter by Gate 4 and go straight up the steps between the stands.  I think that is good viewing - agree with @binman that sitting behind the goals slightly elevated gives the best overall perspective.

Level 2 or 2A give you the benefit of viewing from an elevation while retaining the closs feeling of level 1. Ihonestly don't like level one; I feel you lose the depth too quickly and its hard to tell what's happening more than 50m away. 

The wing gives you the best view of the whole ground all game long. During behind the goals makes it difficult to see what's happening at the other goal square,  but I like sitting there because you can see how they set up, and what the zone/structure is doing.  You can't see the same patterns from the wing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Is the Dylan Buckley named (interchange) for the Giants the same Dylan Buckley that kicked 3 against us for Carlton to knock us out of the finals race in 2016?

The same Buckley that kicked a 60 metre barrel in the wet that horrid day?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

11 minutes ago, Dee Zephyr said:

Is the Dylan Buckley named (interchange) for the Giants the same Dylan Buckley that kicked 3 against us for Carlton to knock us out of the finals race in 2016?

The same Buckley that kicked a 60 metre barrel in the wet that horrid day?

That’s him. 

• Shocked 1

2 hours ago, Yung Blood said:

Well you've reached the key talking point for the next two weeks after this Sundays game.

Is Viney's return an obvious selection given the teams chemistry at the moment?

Main pro and con in my opinion:

Pro: He is a competitive beast made for finals intensity and physicality. As noted by others the team would generally get more confidence/insperation on the day with Jack putting his 100% into every contest.

Con: From what we've seen so far he only really plays inside mid or as a close tag. The worry is that Brayshaw and Clayton are our key ball winners at the moment around the contest and doing it brilliantly. When Viney came back in earlier in the year he and Oliver were literally bumping heads at contests trying to win the ball. They did eventually build some chemistry and system but then Viney got injured again.

I think he will come back in regardless of what we discuss on here. I hope they can build a rotation where he rests on the wings when Oliver is in the middle or rotates a tag with Harmes.

Goody likes playing Clarry forward. Maybe he goes forward as Viney goes into the guts. 

• Like 1

It looks like no changes which is good so I'm predicting the Dees by 25 points.

Although a loss would mean I could watch the team week 1 of the finals this is a must win game. A home final first up and a potential dream run of all finals at the G should we be good enough to progress. It will be really interesting to see our mindset at the start of the game.

I'd drop Spargo purely because i don't like short people.

• Thanks 1

Look I was one that was suggesting Spargo get dropped, and really he is lucky to hold his place after about 3 weeks of average to poor performances. But fact is he was a part of the team that booked our finals place so I’m happy with him getting another run. 

But I really hope Goodwin tells any Melbourne listed player playing at Casey that these next two weeks are opportunities for them to make selection really difficult for the first week of finals. 

Edited by Pates