Fat Ed wants QB as a Collingwood home game.

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-06-04/demons-pies-at-odds-over-qb-home-games

You just knew this day was coming.

Like a seagull hovering around a feed of fish and chips, he has been paying the 'generous, philanthropic Collingwood card' until we actually looked like becoming something.

Now that there are big bucks on the line, he wants the fixture from next year. 

I don't think it's necessarily wrong that Collingwood eventually hosts the game, it's more that he hasn't kept in mind our cash flow situation. Next year the Toigs get Anzac Day as a home game. If Ed gets his way, we miss out on two big revenue streams when we were only expecting to lose out on one. All while we are looking at making up other revenue shortfalls by getting out of pokies.

If this was as 'obvious' as Ed makes it out to be,  PJ wouldn't be getting his back up like he is.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert
Auto correct error

I don't mind if it means we get more access to more Friday nights and actually hosting two of Hawks, Essendon or Geelong in that year. Seems fair.

Edited by Jibroni
  • Like 9

To be granted an additional home game, you must give one up, if we lose one we must receive another one, that’s how the fixture works, it’s an AFL issue, doesn’t matter if Ed has sorted it out with Bill Guest, Ed is just working the ferals into a lather for no good reason.

• Like 1

Dear Ed! With only the good of the game in mind ... oh, and his poorly cousins the charity case Demons.

What wouldn't have factored into his thinking in the past:

• another game at the G for the Pies
  • another round where they don't have to travel
  • another game where their social club gets their hands on the entire Ponsford stand

No, it was has been noble of Ed to look after us like that. Why shouldn't he cash in now it looks like generating even more for them?

• Haha 1

Split the gate every year or alternate.

He's well within his rights to ask for Collingwood to get their share and the onus is on us to ensure that we remain competitive and build toward lasting success and sustainability.  The AFL and the TV networks are in charge of the fixturing and Eddie was certainly under no obligation to allow us Home Game status for so many years.

• Like 10

Yeah, but I really like winding up my Colliwobble mate, with statements "Oh isn't it home game for you this year?" and "Just treat it like it's your Grand Final"

It'll take all my fun away

• Like 1

Why don't we just play the Pies twice a year so we both get some decent coin from the gate?  If both clubs continue to be competitive then each game will bring both clubs good money.

I think the club has started something very important through Neale with the Freeze MND cause, and unless the Pies agree to keep this going each year, then they should settle for either being in the match or having an alternate fixture some point in the season.

• Like 1

I dont mean to mercenary as I love ND,  but he  wont be around forever and neither will the queen for the holiday. I think its good the pies take it alternating. We can start to develop another ongoing blockbuster...our form this year will be impossible to ignore in terms of fixturing. 

Yes its true the pies got something out of it too...but it was still a generous decision. 

The thing that annoys me that this is a standard Eddie PR game.

Instead of allowing discussions to continue on in good faith behind the scenes, Ed has used his media profile to yet again set the agenda for the discussions and cast he and Collingwood as somehow the victims of a rort (it seeped through in the welfare comment at the end) even though they fart 50 dollar notes everytime they break wind. He did it in the early 00's when Brisbane beat them in the Granny. It happened again when the Swans were winning flags.

I don't have any problem with alternating eventually. It's the way Eddie had huffed and puffed to get his own way as usual that has s****ed me.

This is the reason why people talk about conflict of interest with Eddie. He has a platform to influence AFL policy in a way that other presidents can not. And he is shameless about it.

Edited by Colin B. Flaubert

2 minutes ago, Wells 11 said:

I dont mean to mercenary as I love ND,  but he  wont be around forever and neither will the queen for the holiday. I think its good the pies take it alternating. We can start to develop another ongoing blockbuster...our form this year will be impossible to ignore in terms of fixturing. 

Yes its true the pies got something out of it too...but it was still a generous decision. 

Yep.. I'd like to think we have become a Republic in the next ten years. If so I can't see the same holiday being kept as it would be controversial. Would like think we celebrate Republic Day on say July 1. If that happens the concept of a fixed Monday holiday would disappear as well.

Now about Eddie and his Ponsford stand deal !!!

3 minutes ago, Colin B. Flaubert said:

This is the reason why people talk about conflict of interest with Eddie. He has a platform to influence AFL policy on a way that other presidents can not. And he is shameless about it.

I suspect that most of them have worked Eddie out by now. He's not as smart as we used to think he was.

I’ve always been of the opinion that our MND round should be against Essendon. It is clunky to do it on QB where Collingwood have no part. 

So no problems that the Pies share QB with us and then we can finally get a potential blockbuster home game against the Bombers 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, SFebey said:

Only fair, if it wasn’t for his generosity we’d be up [censored] creek. I thank Eddie. We should alternate going forward now we are on track

This.

Us being handed it as a home game for the past approx 15 years has netted us with 10-15 million of dollars. The club is definitely thankful we've been able to host it for so long. It's only fair we alternate going forward. 

We’d get another home game, potentially a Friday night, to balance the fixture.

Edited by Lord Travis
  • Like 2

Happy to alternate but only if we get one or two extra home games against the other big Melbourne based clubs. The fact is we get absolutely screwed financially with the fixture every year. Except for QB and ANZAC eve alternatively we get stuff all big games at home. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

This is just McGuire stirring the pot just before the game next week.

This quote is just a deliberate attempt to create disharmony.

"Melbourne is a strong club now, equalisation has underpinned them and they're no longer talking about merging which has happened over the years. Now let's work together."

McGuire is just a greedy [censored] and this is just pure greed, they get plenty and have other games that make them heaps. 

Edited by Dante
  • Like 2

fine. give them QB. Then we get a home MCG game against Essendon (for once), or a Friday night game against Richmond later in the season.

They lose their corresponding home game when they play Essendon, Carlton or Richmond for a second time like they always do.

It's only fair. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1